The Witnessed

Author's note: I've always loved the mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper and I wanted to write my own views on...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I've always loved the mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper and I wanted to write my own views on the subject. It was different trying to write from the point of view of a psychopathic serial killer. It really pushed my mind to think differently as I wrote the piece.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Scene 1

The rat didn’t care about the woman walking down Berner Street. It only had one thing on its mind: food. But it did stop to watch, trying to judge if she was an enemy or not. Her footsteps came closer, but passed by the alley, ignoring the eyes watching from the corner. No one ever noticed the eyes watching in the corner.
The rat’s nose lifted as it sensed the rotting cheese on the ground just a few feet away. It started taking tentative steps toward the food but stopped short. A short, piercing scream had come from about one alley over. The rat hesitated. Was the food worth investigating what the scream was? Suddenly, a shout of surprise came from what sounded like the same area. The rat scurried into the street, keeping close to the brick wall to avoid puddles and passersby. Not that anyone was walking along the streets at this late hour. The rat is a creature of habit.
It froze just before turning into Dutfield’s Yard. A horse tied to a cart stood in the middle of the courtyard attempting to back away from something lying in the middle of the alley. The horse wouldn’t hurt the rat. It inched slowly towards the thing on the ground. A metallic tang fills the air, not uncommon to the rat. As it gets closer, the rat realizes it is a person, the woman that had walked past the rat only a few moments before. Blood is still oozing out of her neck, pooling on the ground. The body is still warm.
The rat froze as a door was opened off to its left. Voices drifted from the open doorway, one louder than the rest. “I think it’s just some drunk who’s fallen asleep on the ground, the bastard.” The rat skittered back towards the street, pausing at the end of the alley. No, this type of thing was not unusual to these streets at all. The rat heard the three men who had come out gasp in unison as they saw what had startled the horse. Thinking nothing more of it, the rat dashed back to the other alley, hoping the cheese it had left was still there.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Vagabond said...
awesome!! really enjoyed it... keep writing :)

WonderlandDreams said...
I loved this story! It was amazing new angle of the Ripper cases. Jake the Ripper is such an interesting point, because no know no how or why he killed those woman.  I thought it was well written and an interesting (telling it from a crow’s and mouse’s point of view, even from his!).  Truly amazing. :D