The Tragedy of Generations A medieval Tale of Revenge and Surrender

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

March 5, 1,100 A.D.

We slept on the ground and when I awoke I found that someone had started a fire for us. Yet no one was in my sight. In short order I woke up Cedric to see if by any means he had started the fire. But with our luck I doubted it.
“ Cedric, did you start a fire?” I stirred him, still tired.
“ No. What fire? I have no idea what you are talking about. Who are you anyway?” Cedric strung the questions together like socks on a clothes line.
“ What do you mean, who am I? I am your father, the person who raised you.”
“ You are not my father. You could not be. I just met you a minute ago,” the boy said with pure innocence.
“ Cedric, if you are hoaxing me I will be furious!”. Yet with his clueless attitude I assumed Cedric could remember nothing that had happened last night, or, for that matter, his whole life.
I felt like crying, but there was no time for that. I had to figure out what happened to Cedric. This could be the first day of the end of his life. “Come on boy, let’s start walking.” I only referred to him as “boy” because there would be no point in explaining to him why he needed to respond to his own name. This would waste our limited time, the time we needed to find another city and a doctor that could treat him.
Suddenly I heard a rustle in the bushes of the forest. I checked behind them and out of them ran a women. She had blond hair and hazel eyes. I tried to catch her in spite of her lightning fast legs. I yelled for Cedric to follow me and he eventually did. The women had a bottle in her hand which she suddenly dropped, but did not stop running to pick up. I walked over to the bottle and read it. It was labeled Hemlock Juice the bottle composed of old blown glass. It was almost empty and by comparing the smell of the bottle to the smell of Cedric's breath, I could tell he had drank it. I put the bottle in my pocket and burst into tears “My Cedric, my poor, poor Cedric!” I tried not to get hysterical for the sake of my little boy. Now I was sure this was the first day of the end of his life. I continued to try to find a city, but when we finally got there Cedric was already weaker than I expected. I asked the first person I saw if they could direct me to the doctor.
“Right over there,” the man said, pointing across the road.
I went in the direction the townsman had indicated and knocked at the door of a small cottage, calling out, “Doctor, can you help my son? I think someone has given him hemlock juice!”
“ Yes, I can see that,” the doctor replied.
When she turned around I was in awe. The doctor was the same blond haired, hazel eyed women from the behind the bushes. I was stunned. I could not believe it. The only thing I could say was, “Why did you do this?” in slow pronounced words.
“Do what?” said the woman, clearly appalled.
I looked at Cedric and all of his energy had been drained. His face was extremely pale, and his eyes were beginning to close. I don’t think I had ever seen someone so frail and weak. The life may as well have been drained out of his little soul.
The woman looked at Cedric. “ I saw you and the boy this morning while I was on my morning walk. The boy had been exposed to bacteria and was well into the stages of brain deterioration. I could tell the boy had caught the deadly bacteria was because his body was red and blotchy. I instantly knew the boy would not live much longer, so giving him the hemlock would speed up his death so that it would not be quite so very painful.” The woman said this as if she felt my pain. “I diluted it with wine so it would not instantly kill him. If you want, you may stay with him until. . . .”
“Thank you so much,” I sobbed. Then I took my son’s hand to watch his gradual death. With the hectic day we had, I almost forgot that today was his birthday. The same day he was born his mother died, and now he would die as well.
I whispered “Happy birthday” to my son as his pulse stopped. I cried and cried after my son’s death. I called the doctor in and she pronounced him dead. I sat for long hours with my son. Once I finally got it through my head that he was dead, the doctor and I buried him. I went out into the woods and found a huge piece of walnut. I borrowed a knife from the doctor and carved a gravestone for my son. The gravestone had a cross on it and under that it said:
In memory of the most deserving son a man can ask for. And whom shall be in my heart forever .
-- Cedric Balding, 1090-1100
I was mooring over the pain I felt for my son. It was over, but now my heart was broken. My wife died ten years ago today, and now ten years later my son died as well. Then I sat at his grave stone and dissolved in tears. The sun went down and I slept next to my son.

. said...
I loved this story. Good work! Very imaginative.

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It's an interesting story, but it could use some more description to give more...what's the word? Depth?  But anyway, keep writing my friend. 

addy114804 said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 6:54 pm:
Some people say the sky is the limit, but I believe that you and your writing can reach beyond the moon. This was truly amazing. THANK YOU FOR A READ OF A LIFETIME!!

Teresa said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm:
Well written and very enjoyable to read

FigglerXD said...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm:
This is truly amazing. The effort is apparent and the story is gripping dark and suspenseful. You are very talented.

Emily6600 said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:26 am:
It is a good story and is very interesting.

Lex-13 said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 5:40 pm:
I had roughly a month to write this. I spent a good six months adding to it. It ate up a summer. It consumed my mind for quite awhile. (and continues to) I have sent it off for you to see. I hope more than anything that you enjoy the story I have worked so hard on as much as I do! Please vote and comment on my work!

JoeP said...
I have had the honor of watching and reading this story through every phase and every revision since its inception. This young writer's future is a bright one indeed, and no doubt we'll be seeing her name on bestseller lists before long. God-given talent like her DOES NOT go unnoticed. She'll only get better and the sky is the limit.

Andy t Mac said...
This was written well and kept me interested the entire time!

jeanie 1 said...
Jan. 30, 2012 at 9:52 am:
I loved the book! I can see your name in the NY Times best seller list in a few years. Keep it up, your great

zachjack said...
Jan. 30, 2012 at 12:22 am:
Great Job.....I was so involved and wrapped up in the story line that I couldn't wait to read on and see how it ended.

jomin5982@aol.com said...
Awesome job!!!!!

barb515 said...
Wow ! Im speechless , cant wait to read more ! Awesome !

Neddra said...
Really enjoyed this story! Hope to read more soon!

Heather C. said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 10:54 am:
This is an amazing story full of suspense and interesting plot twists.I love a family with deep dark secrets!

Bret said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 10:51 am:
That book was just AMAZING!!! Best one I have read in years! This kid has got talent!!!

ellencg said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 8:59 am:
What a gripping story, you must write more!

doris said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 7:32 am:
What a wonderful story! You have the unique gift of being a great storyteller. Please keep on writing. I want to see more of your work.

wjcahill said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:06 am:
Wow, what a well written and imaginative story. I love it!