The Tragedy of Generations A medieval Tale of Revenge and Surrender

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

March 4, 1,100 A.D.

Upon rising I was greeted by the faint smirk of the guard. He then chuckled deeply and walked around the low lit room. “So, you thought you could get away with what you did?”
Once I heard his deep raspy voice I learned that it wasn’t the guard that I thought was holding me hostage, but someone else. It could not possibly be the king because he had the smallpox. I then had an idea. Could it be the person that my wife had always talked about? The one who hated our family because Juliana refused to marry her own cousin? I quickly aborted the idea because the deep choppy voice I had previously heard could not belong to a woman.
“Sir,” I asked ,“What is your name?”
“ What is my name? What is my name, you dare ask me that?” The man was in disbelief . “Oh this will be all the more fun,” said the man, still laughing as his swaggered personality walked itself out the door.
I thought frantically about who the man was, why he was doing this to me and my family, and a possible way to get out of this soon to be death trap. Between the gap of thinking and just tinkering with my hands, I spotted a key on the ground. I pulled myself over to it, which was an almost impossible task considering my hands and feet were tied together. Once I finally got it I saw there was a paper under it. I read it and it said:
Use the key to untie yourself. It does not open the door you want it to ,but it will later .Put the key and note in your pocket. Refer to it later. I will let you out when I am supposed to bring your meal.

Ryce

As I finished reading the note I looked up, and there was the guard in the doorway, after a series of clicks and clanks of the old door’s hinges I looked at him.
“ Are you. . . ?” I tried to asked but he just covered my mouth and said , “ Yes I am. If you ever bothered to learn my name we would not be in this situation.”
He continued. “ Listen carefully.” He spoke extremely softly . “I will walk out with a knife to your throat, but,” he got a little louder, “ I will not kill you. We will walk out, go to your son’s holding area and use the key to get him out. I will escort you both out of the castle.”
“Then what?” I asked and sincerely wondered.
“Then you and your son are on your own,” he seemed to have a vexatious tone “ And do not forget to watch out for Yrre. He resents you for being herald. That is his rightful position but the King never liked him and as a result he appointed you instead.”
Just as I thought everything was going smoothly, Yrre walked past and yelled at Ryce. It was felicitous that Ryce knew just how to handle the situation. He shoved the small of my back and spoke gravely into my ear, “I am taking him to be wedged. I hope you know what you have done!”
“ Oh, very good, very good. I am glad to see you doing your job. Continue on.”
We went to get Cedric and Ryce snuck him out as planned. I was so happy to see Cedric, but I knew now was not a time for talking. I signaled my son not to make a sound. He understood my message and looked straight ahead as we once again ran into Yrre.
“What are you doing with the boy? I thought we agreed he was mine.” Yrre looked at Cedric in a malignant way. I could figure by his clenched fist and wrathful body language he would have inflicted much pain on the both of us.
“ The prisoner said that the boy was his son, I assumed they were together. It could not hurt to do them both at the same time. They would have to watch each other’s pain”
“Very well, then. I shall leave you to it.”
Cedric looked at me with fear but it was certain now was not the time to comfort him. It would ruin the elaborate plan Ryce had laid perfectly. As soon as we got past Yrre I quickly whispered to him that everything was going to be all right. Ryce shoved us outside and said, “Leave, hide, do something. Yrre cannot find you again. If he does, not only will you be dead, but I will as well. Pack your things. I will arrange for the King or Felix to try and get rid of Yrre for good. If it is at my power I will come and find you. That is, if I am still alive. I will bring you and your son back here to continue your lives. Until then, this is good-bye.”
We packed our things and left through the woods with special permission to go outside the perimeter of the walls. Once we were outside Cedric and I slept on the cold hard ground. How did our lives become so complicated? Only a little while ago I could remember our normal life. This was far from normal, but we could make this life work to our benefit. We both fell asleep. The darkness inundated the land as if it were in search of someone. It swept over us but it luckily did not stop to check who we were. This was the only technique the darkness could use to hold our sins against us. However our sins were no longer valid for our escape had taken them over.

. said...
I loved this story. Good work! Very imaginative.

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It's an interesting story, but it could use some more description to give more...what's the word? Depth?  But anyway, keep writing my friend. 

addy114804 said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 6:54 pm:
Some people say the sky is the limit, but I believe that you and your writing can reach beyond the moon. This was truly amazing. THANK YOU FOR A READ OF A LIFETIME!!

Teresa said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm:
Well written and very enjoyable to read

FigglerXD said...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm:
This is truly amazing. The effort is apparent and the story is gripping dark and suspenseful. You are very talented.

Emily6600 said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:26 am:
It is a good story and is very interesting.

Lex-13 said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 5:40 pm:
I had roughly a month to write this. I spent a good six months adding to it. It ate up a summer. It consumed my mind for quite awhile. (and continues to) I have sent it off for you to see. I hope more than anything that you enjoy the story I have worked so hard on as much as I do! Please vote and comment on my work!

JoeP said...
I have had the honor of watching and reading this story through every phase and every revision since its inception. This young writer's future is a bright one indeed, and no doubt we'll be seeing her name on bestseller lists before long. God-given talent like her DOES NOT go unnoticed. She'll only get better and the sky is the limit.

Andy t Mac said...
This was written well and kept me interested the entire time!

jeanie 1 said...
Jan. 30, 2012 at 9:52 am:
I loved the book! I can see your name in the NY Times best seller list in a few years. Keep it up, your great

zachjack said...
Jan. 30, 2012 at 12:22 am:
Great Job.....I was so involved and wrapped up in the story line that I couldn't wait to read on and see how it ended.

jomin5982@aol.com said...
Awesome job!!!!!

barb515 said...
Wow ! Im speechless , cant wait to read more ! Awesome !

Neddra said...
Really enjoyed this story! Hope to read more soon!

Heather C. said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 10:54 am:
This is an amazing story full of suspense and interesting plot twists.I love a family with deep dark secrets!

Bret said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 10:51 am:
That book was just AMAZING!!! Best one I have read in years! This kid has got talent!!!

ellencg said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 8:59 am:
What a gripping story, you must write more!

doris said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 7:32 am:
What a wonderful story! You have the unique gift of being a great storyteller. Please keep on writing. I want to see more of your work.

wjcahill said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:06 am:
Wow, what a well written and imaginative story. I love it!