The Tragedy of Generations A medieval Tale of Revenge and Surrender

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

March 2, 1,100 A.D.

Today I woke up at the bitter hour of three to fulfill my duties as herald. I rushed to see the King because, indeed, I was late. As I ran to the the King’s castle I whipped out my notepaper and quill to give to the scribe so he could write down my assignments for the morning. This left my bag swinging from my shoulder, threatening to fly right off, but in the hurry to get to the king on time I forgot to alarm my son to get ready for his schooling session. “ Oh no!” I shouted hastily, “Now we are both going to be late!”
I hurried back home to wake my son, but when I got there he was nowhere to be found so I assumed that he had awakened, gotten himself ready and went to his schooling session all on his own. I was proud at the thought of my son being so independent. I hurried back to the castle to get orders from the king, deeply hoping he would not be angry at my absence.
Once I got there I was informed by a palace guard that the king did not need me that day.
“This is because the King just discovered he had developed some sort of illness. King Fitzgerald needs time to be treated by a doctor. As a result of this, the King’s barons were ordered to take control of the land. The Queen divided up the land between the the three barons and they were to serve the king by temporarily ruling their part of Varrok. However, if something happens to go wrong and the baron cannot fix it, they will then call upon you to help them. King Fitzgerald is counting on you to do the most important task of performing this job for him.”
As soon as the guard had finished telling me about this, I automatically had a sinking feeling. So many things could go wrong and if they do, it is my job to fix them.
Since the guard had been talking on and on about the situation, my work day was over and it was time to pick up my son Cedric from his schooling session. But when I arrived, Cedric was not waiting as usual. I waited hours on end for Cedric. I searched high and low for him inside the schooling house and I could not find him anywhere. “This day is a never ending nightmare!” I shouted up into the sky. No one answered. I went home assuming again that Cedric already went home and was asleep for at least an hour.
When I got home I soon discovered that Cedric was not in our house. He was nowhere, no- where to be seen, nowhere to be found and certainly nowhere to be heard from. I ran out of my house, knocked on every door, and asked every person in the city if they had seen Cedric. Every person I asked said they had not seen him. Just as my hope was fading on ever seeing Cedric again, I realized that I had skipped a house on my long journey through Varrok. I swiftly ran back to the house I thought I had forgotten. It was three doors down from my house. The residents were a little old lady and her husband and they both claimed they saw Cedric. First, the little old lady said that a robber had taken Cedric but, she did not know were he had been taken to. The old man yelled over her, “No, no, no! The robber got Cedric, but Cedric fought the robber off and ran past the town square and into the woods.”
At this point I ran past the town square and to the fringe of the woods. This is where I stumbled across an envelope. It clearly stated my name, BLYTHE BALDING, in all capital letters. I started to get excited when I saw this because whenever my son tries to write, he finds it easier and faster to write in all capital letters. I stumbled to my feet to get the envelope, then quickly opened it. It said:

Good-bye, father. Someone tried to come after me. I got away ,but I have decided to leave Varrok so this cannot happen again . Be careful and thank you for everything.
- Cedric

At this, I searched through the woods for hours but found nothing. At about midnight I went back to my house to catch a few hours of sleep before my duties as herald would resume.

This book has 19 comments. Post your own now!

. said...
I loved this story. Good work! Very imaginative.

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It's an interesting story, but it could use some more description to give more...what's the word? Depth?  But anyway, keep writing my friend. 

addy114804 said...
Some people say the sky is the limit, but I believe that you and your writing can reach beyond the moon. This was truly amazing. THANK YOU FOR A READ OF A LIFETIME!!

Teresa said...
Well written and very enjoyable to read

FigglerXD said...
This is truly amazing. The effort is apparent and the story is gripping dark and suspenseful. You are very talented.

Emily6600 said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:26 am
It is a good story and is very interesting.

Lex-13 said...
I had roughly a month to write this. I spent a good six months adding to it. It ate up a summer. It consumed my mind for quite awhile. (and continues to) I have sent it off for you to see. I hope more than anything that you enjoy the story I have worked so hard on as much as I do! Please vote and comment on my work!

JoeP said...
I have had the honor of watching and reading this story through every phase and every revision since its inception. This young writer's future is a bright one indeed, and no doubt we'll be seeing her name on bestseller lists before long. God-given talent like her DOES NOT go unnoticed. She'll only get better and the sky is the limit.

Andy t Mac said...
This was written well and kept me interested the entire time!

jeanie 1 said...
Jan. 30, 2012 at 9:52 am
I loved the book! I can see your name in the NY Times best seller list in a few years. Keep it up, your great

zachjack said...
Jan. 30, 2012 at 12:22 am
Great Job.....I was so involved and wrapped up in the story line that I couldn't wait to read on and see how it ended.

jomin5982@aol.com said...
Awesome job!!!!!

barb515 said...
Wow ! Im speechless , cant wait to read more ! Awesome !

Neddra said...
Really enjoyed this story! Hope to read more soon!

Heather C. said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 10:54 am
This is an amazing story full of suspense and interesting plot twists.I love a family with deep dark secrets!

Bret said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 10:51 am
That book was just AMAZING!!! Best one I have read in years! This kid has got talent!!!

ellencg said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 8:59 am
What a gripping story, you must write more!

doris said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 7:32 am
What a wonderful story! You have the unique gift of being a great storyteller. Please keep on writing. I want to see more of your work.

wjcahill said...
Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:06 am
Wow, what a well written and imaginative story. I love it!