Take It All Away

Author's note: Written in an eighth grade Language Arts class, this fictional piece is filled with indescribable...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Written in an eighth grade Language Arts class, this fictional piece is filled with indescribable facts of life in the concentration camps that spread across Europe during the years of Adolf Hitler. The assignment was to write a journal as if we were someone experiencing life during World War Two, and this was the "life" that I chose to live. We had to make sure that we had a certain number of facts about the era written into the piece, so that is part of the reason why the character of Angela has such extensive knowledge of her surroundings. I did not publish this "journal" for several years, and still to this day remain just as hesitant, because I do not believe that this can truly honor the survivors and the victims of this terrible time. Angela represents what millions of human beings had to witness, and I hope that her words help to ensure that, in this case, history will never repeat itself.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29 Next »

Prologue

Dear Reader,
I translated my journal from German to English in 1961 after I saw the trial of Adolf Eichmann, who had been the supervisor of Jewish and Evacuation Affairs in the S.S., on live television.

I don’t know if you understand the meaning of the book that you hold in your hand.Inside, my diary contains memories of horrors; of nightmares; and of the faintest traces of hope and dreams. I am a survivor of a genocide known as the Holocaust. Perhaps you have heard of it, or this is the first time the word has reached your ears. Either way, I am now giving you a warning. This novel is not filled with light-hearted fairy tales. It is your choice to continue. Only do so if you want to understand the truth.

----Angela Cuyler, 1962

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

Vagabond said...
OMG!!
SIMPLY AWESOME!!!