New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Temptation

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Another Bump in the Road

The smell of hand sanitizer and Lysol hit her as she entered through the double glass doors. She coughed reflexively. Framed college degrees for Dr. Fitzgerald, Dr. Swanson, and Dr. Reynolds hung neatly on the white-washed walls.
“Can I help you?” the receptionist asked from behind the computer.
“Yes, I have a check-up with Dr. Fitzgerald,” Caroline replied.
“Okay, I’ll let her know you’re here.”
Five minutes later, Fitzgerald came into the main lobby. Her auburn hair was tied in a tidy bun on the top of her head. Glasses were perched on the end of her narrow nose. A clean, white-pressed lab coat with a satin handkerchief tucked in the front pocket encircled her willowy figure. Dr. Fitzgerald motioned Caroline to follow her to the back room.
She instructed Caroline to step onto the scale. 165 pounds. 5’0”. Dr. Fitzgerald glanced at the scale and then turned her attention to her clipboard, scratching against it with a ball-point pen.
“Okay, you can step off now,” Dr. Fitzgerald said to Caroline. She stepped off of the scale and waited nervously. The doctor then led her to another room to check her blood pressure. She grunted in disapproval when she read the numbers.
“You still need to lose fifty more pounds, Caroline. At your height, 115 pounds is considered a healthy weight. Your blood pressure is still too high as well. Now, remember to continue eating a balanced diet. Avoid sweets, chips, soda, etc. Stack up on vegetables and fruit. And I want you to go to the gym at least four times a week for at least an hour. Do cardio for maybe half an hour and strength training for another thirty minutes. I want you to record what you eat and your exercise routine each day. Understand?”
Caroline nodded her head, “I understand.”
“Good. Okay, I will see you in three months for a check-up,” Dr. Fitzgerald shook her hand firmly and exited out the door. Caroline sighed, abruptly feeling exhausted. She worked hard to get where she was. And yet, the doctor didn’t comment on the amount of progress she made. No words of encouragement or congratulations. Only discouraging words. Only to be told that she still needed to lose even more weight. That she was still too fat.