To Tear A Stone

Author's note: I wrote this because I felt like I had to. I felt powerless against war, as though I could do...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this because I felt like I had to. I felt powerless against war, as though I could do nothing against it. This book is what I can do against war, this book is my protest. It is little, it is only short and I am no one, but it is nevertheless close to my heart.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7

Snow

The general guzzles food at a quick rate, he is angry at having been made to look foolish by loosing a small clash at the front. He shoves food down his mouth, and then suddenly stops. He gasps, and chokes. The officer watches on. The general staggers to his feet, coughing and spluttering and trying to breath. He looks to the officer for help, but the officer just watches on. Waiting for the ugly rasping sound to stop. The general turns light blue as he chokes on his food, the officer is bored, and
I am not at all satisfied with the ending. I'm sorry if it sounds cheesy.
he has been waiting for this a long time.
Finally it is over. The officer makes the right calls, and the general’s body is taken away, as is his last meal. The officer does not take the general’s seat; it might still be warm from him. Instead the officer decides to go for a walk across the city.
The weather is cold. The officer walks with his hands in his pockets, looking for something, he doesn’t know what just something. The girl stands at a shop window, only half understanding how she came to be in this city. It was a gypsy family who found her, hiding down a well. She had run blindly though the night, having heard the explosions. She then found the well and out of fear climbed in. The girl had found a dead boy in the night; his cold skin had made her scream.
Wild boy was dead. The girl knew that much. Soldiers had killed him earlier that day. So she was alone. The gypsy family had dropped her here, believing it was her best hope. They had taken pity on the girl, so lost and afraid. They would have taken her on their travels had she not refused to go with them.
The officer sees a girl in a shabby, oversized grey coat standing by a shop window. Her shape was dark against the light coming from the shop. He followed her eyes and found her eyes focused on something unseen. Finally she looked at him, her eyes meeting his before lowering to his uniform. Her eyes are harsh and
green.

“I am General Steven Jameston, who are you? “ The officer was proud to state his name.
“Someone who does not care for army men.” The girl met his eyes again, aggressively this time. Steven did not know what to say, so he continues to stare at the girl.
“In that case, I am Steven Jameston”
“I am Alexandria ,” She smiled slightly, her harsh eyes softening a little.
Across the street the general’s daughter watches them. She had wanted to speak to the officer, just once. Now she did not have the courage. Her mother had left her, for some man she would not name. So now the general’s daughter was alone in her house, with only her dried flowers. That had made her feel old. So the general’s daughter went to the window of her bedroom, waited for a large gust of wind, and let her dried flowers fly away in the wind. They disappeared quickly. She had felt a mixture of relief and loss. She would begin her life again.
The general’s daughter looked up at the sky, and smiled as snowflakes began to fall. She glanced across the street at the officer and the strange girl in they grey coat. The general’s daughter was finally free, she walked away, smiling as the snow began to cover the pavement. Her name was Julia.
The snow covered the charred and twisted villages, covering their black with white. It fell over battlefields and buried the bodies of the soldier boys, the boys whose names have been lost. The snow fell and covered all the land, for snow touches everyone and everything. With the snow came the sweet and gentle silence that snow brings, and across the land people were quiet. For as the snow fell, there was a world untouched by war.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7

This book has 14 comments. Post your own now!

DarkEyes said...
Beautiful! The storyline I liked the most was Alexandria's. I love how she struggles through hardship and horror, and eventually comes upon a good ending to her story, presumably. (I kind of wish it would be clearer there) Soldier boy's story made me cry in the end, and was beautifully described. The general seems to have gotten what he deserved, with his gluttony and his uncaringness for human lives, although the officer's uncaringness for him seems cruel. With the general's dau... (more »)

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really good. You're very good ad describing backgrounds and characters and giving premises.

manga_maniac said...
This was fantastic, it's 11pm, i'm exausted, yet i just had to read this straight through . I loved how the stories came together at the end. Really spectacular :)

CautionwetPaint said...
This was an amazing read! Seriously awesome job! Again I must say the way you write has me imagining it all in my head like movie, or tv or something! :) Granted there were some minor spelling and grammar, and there were some parts where you could use pronouns and actions to describe the person rather then saying their name and giving a few details. You know? But anyway the story was riveting, amazing job. it was a powerful story and it was very real. Nothing cliche about it :) This deserves a 5... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 5:35 am
THANK U i was so worried about it being cliche!!

SN3RD said...
This keeps readers reading! Great Job! Extraordinary! Wanna come check me out and read or rate Hunter's Point or Perspective?

IceFox416 said...

I loved this! Very emotional, yet not sappy. It really is a good story about the aftermath of war. My only suggestions are: Maybe give the girl or a few of the other charecters a name? I think it would bring out how things were for the girl before the war, and how she changed from the innocent girl she once was. But other than that and some minor grammer/spelling mistakes, this was great! I'd definately buy it if it was a book. But I'd also like to see the plot lines tied together a bit more,... (more »)

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

This is a really powerful story--I loved it! I'd give it a 5/5 for sure!

There were a few things you should work on. Watch out for grammar and spelling issues whenever you write a story, but other than that, it was great!

Keep up the good work! :)

Emiri said...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:38 am

This is something i'd epect to be in a book. I like how you put it in present tense, and the multiple story lines taking pllace in the same setting. I really enjoyed readng this. K)

LifesIllusion said...
Wow! You write like no one i have ever seen before. You write with such utter detail and th am amazing part is that it was all in 3rd person. It's always so much harder to write in this way for me but you have had practice with it obviously! Also, you should keep this forever. When you are old and your opinions on war will differ, it would so cool to go back and read this writing of yours!!! All i can say is that this story inspires me even though i got confused a few times. Definitely 5/5 stars... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
I can't find your work! i can only find your favorite work by others! Could you send me a link or something?

applesauceHater said...
You inspire me!the way you use you words is incredible!!!!AMASING IMAGERY!!!!!I loved it!Also, I don't know if it's certain people or what, but 3rd person is usually hard to write in, i guess compared to 1 person, but you nailed it!!!One thing was I was confused about the time period, it might be cuz im just oblivous or something, i only remember a couple wars from russia. But that's probably due to my account, becaus you're just amasing. Loved the last sentence it was awesome, and loved how you... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 4:49 am

Oh thank you! 

I meant from wehn the gemans invaded Russia, or rather tried to invade russia. I meant for the war to be farily ambiguous, as though it could really be any war. I was looking at war photos to try and grasp what it was like.

applesauceHater replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 6:40 am
cuz i was thinking of stollins rule and the persecution of old believers, but it quite didnt make sense to be that:) but ur right, it really wouldn't matter which war, there not that different from each other