New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

To Tear A Stone

Author's note: I wrote this because I felt like I had to. I felt powerless against war, as though I could do...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this because I felt like I had to. I felt powerless against war, as though I could do nothing against it. This book is what I can do against war, this book is my protest. It is little, it is only short and I am no one, but it is nevertheless close to my heart.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Men Are Weak

A quiet mumble floats with the cigar smoke above the dinner party. It lingers with the smell of good food and perfume. The general sits behind a banquet table, wearing his uniform and smiling at his guests. The officer sits by the side of the general, silent and watchful.
“Men are weak and frail creatures. They need too much. You would think the men at the front to be the frailest of aristocrats. Real men would be able to live on bread and water, real men would take what they’re given and be happy. In the army men are treated like men.” Says the general to the people near him. People do not speak to the general; the general speaks to people. Everything he says is a speech. The general fills his fat belly with fine foods. Around his mouth is a circle of grease, it mixes with his moustache and shines off his lips. He pours food down his gullet, hardly chewing before he swallows.
“Men are cowards. They are afraid of death, when they should not be. For to die for your country is a great honour, yet I have men running from the front in all directions. They do not understand, that to win a war requires sacrifice, courage and obedience. If the men at the front were real men, they would not run away in the face of death. If the men at the front were real men, they would march into battle with their heads held high, ready to fight and die.” The general pauses to pour wine down his gullet; he does so with large, long gulps. As though he has not drank for ages. He belches and makes a noise like a fat old toad before beginning again “This is a cowardly country we live in. A cowardly country I say! Look at what I do, look at my sacrifice for our great cause. I work everyday; I put on my uniform and am proud. My work is my life. Do I ask for credit? No! Those silly young cowards at the front want awards for all that they do! Oh! How it disgusts me!”
Next to the officer quivers the general’s daughter. She continuously watches the officer; afraid constantly that he will see how she watches him. He has noticed, but he does not care. The girl that quivers next to him is as uninteresting as a leaf on the street. Women are, generally, completely uninteresting to him. Most women are in love with his uniform rather then him. Although the officer is very confident, he knows his worth. He has one constant craving. He wants to be loved. More then he wants to be a general, he wants genuine love. Not from a lonely, silly girl full of romance novels and false idols; but from a girl who has seen life and has thought for herself.
Next to the officer the general’s daughter stares at the officer. She knows her love is not returned, and she knows that it never will be. Yet still she holds happiness within her, happiness because of the fact people like the officer exist. It is enough for her, to exist by him. Love is like snow, she thinks. Snow is weak and fleeting, it melts when it touches the skin, and only lasts though winter. Yet snow can silence a city as it falls, it muffles everything and changes the world into a white washed, quiet and different place.
Across the room the general’s wife watches on in disgust. She cannot believe that the simpering, whimpering girl across the table is from her. It disgusts her that the general’s daughter just sits there, watching the officer with fluttering eyelashes and a constant little smile about her lips. The general’s wife is forever unhappy. She is wearing uncomfortable clothes and shoes that hurt her feet. She is forever looking in the mirror, finding problems with her face. The general’s wife is lonely and bored. She feels trapped within the walls of her own house, as though in a prison.

DarkEyes said...
Beautiful! The storyline I liked the most was Alexandria's. I love how she struggles through hardship and horror, and eventually comes upon a good ending to her story, presumably. (I kind of wish it would be clearer there) Soldier boy's story made me cry in the end, and was beautifully described. The general seems to have gotten what he deserved, with his gluttony and his uncaringness for human lives, although the officer's uncaringness for him seems cruel. With the general's dau... (more »)

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really good. You're very good ad describing backgrounds and characters and giving premises.

manga_maniac said...
This was fantastic, it's 11pm, i'm exausted, yet i just had to read this straight through . I loved how the stories came together at the end. Really spectacular :)

CautionwetPaint said...
This was an amazing read! Seriously awesome job! Again I must say the way you write has me imagining it all in my head like movie, or tv or something! :) Granted there were some minor spelling and grammar, and there were some parts where you could use pronouns and actions to describe the person rather then saying their name and giving a few details. You know? But anyway the story was riveting, amazing job. it was a powerful story and it was very real. Nothing cliche about it :) This deserves a 5... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 5:35 am :
THANK U i was so worried about it being cliche!!

SN3RD said...
This keeps readers reading! Great Job! Extraordinary! Wanna come check me out and read or rate Hunter's Point or Perspective?

IceFox416 said...

I loved this! Very emotional, yet not sappy. It really is a good story about the aftermath of war. My only suggestions are: Maybe give the girl or a few of the other charecters a name? I think it would bring out how things were for the girl before the war, and how she changed from the innocent girl she once was. But other than that and some minor grammer/spelling mistakes, this was great! I'd definately buy it if it was a book. But I'd also like to see the plot lines tied together a bit more,... (more »)

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

This is a really powerful story--I loved it! I'd give it a 5/5 for sure!

There were a few things you should work on. Watch out for grammar and spelling issues whenever you write a story, but other than that, it was great!

Keep up the good work! :)

Emiri said...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:38 am:

This is something i'd epect to be in a book. I like how you put it in present tense, and the multiple story lines taking pllace in the same setting. I really enjoyed readng this. K)

LifesIllusion said...
Wow! You write like no one i have ever seen before. You write with such utter detail and th am amazing part is that it was all in 3rd person. It's always so much harder to write in this way for me but you have had practice with it obviously! Also, you should keep this forever. When you are old and your opinions on war will differ, it would so cool to go back and read this writing of yours!!! All i can say is that this story inspires me even though i got confused a few times. Definitely 5/5 stars... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm :
I can't find your work! i can only find your favorite work by others! Could you send me a link or something?

applesauceHater said...
You inspire me!the way you use you words is incredible!!!!AMASING IMAGERY!!!!!I loved it!Also, I don't know if it's certain people or what, but 3rd person is usually hard to write in, i guess compared to 1 person, but you nailed it!!!One thing was I was confused about the time period, it might be cuz im just oblivous or something, i only remember a couple wars from russia. But that's probably due to my account, becaus you're just amasing. Loved the last sentence it was awesome, and loved how you... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 4:49 am :

Oh thank you! 

I meant from wehn the gemans invaded Russia, or rather tried to invade russia. I meant for the war to be farily ambiguous, as though it could really be any war. I was looking at war photos to try and grasp what it was like.

applesauceHater replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 6:40 am :
cuz i was thinking of stollins rule and the persecution of old believers, but it quite didnt make sense to be that:) but ur right, it really wouldn't matter which war, there not that different from each other