New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

To Tear A Stone

Author's note: I wrote this because I felt like I had to. I felt powerless against war, as though I could do...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this because I felt like I had to. I felt powerless against war, as though I could do nothing against it. This book is what I can do against war, this book is my protest. It is little, it is only short and I am no one, but it is nevertheless close to my heart.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

A Place Untouched by War

The first rays of sunlight spread across the land. Slowly revealing the charred land. The sunrays began to try to warm the cold land. The girl opened her eyes and slowly allowed herself to wake up. Little boy was cold in her arms, cold and motionless. The girl was completely awake now, she shook little boy, and his cold little hands still gripped her shirt, his body holding on to her when his soul could not.
Wild boy’s eyes glow though the receding darkness, watching the girl bury the little boy in a blanket, for the soil is frozen hard and graves cannot be dug.
“He died with his eyes closed, still afraid to look at the world.” The girl says, her face is without tears, for she has no more tears to cry.
“We must leave this place.” Says wild boy.
“What we?”
“You and I”
“I will not leave this place. I have no where to go.”
“What is there to stay here for?” Says wild boy, his eyes on the girl. She turns and faces him, her harsh eyes stone like and glinting in the morning’s new light.
“Where is there to go? As far as the eye can see, there is only charcoal and the bodies of the dead. To travel would be a waste.”
“There must be some place untouched by the war. Our country is large.”
“Our country? You do not understand, we have no country; this land is now a place with the name ‘no man’s land’ there are no boundaries, no place untouched. All around is only the destroyed, no more. Soldiers still lurk about in the areas we do not know, and I have no mind to be seeing them again.” The girl looks right into wild boy’s eyes. Those glass green eyes penetrate though wild boy’s harshness and to his soul, where he is still a poor orphan child, with just one glance she sees right though to the place he protects the most.
“To move would give a purpose to living. Here there is nothing but rebuilding what will be knocked down by the next round of soldiers. There is no one and nothing here for you.” Wild boy’s voice is harsh, although he does not mean it to be.
“Living needs no purpose, it simply is. A man can live without a care, without a reason or without a purpose and still breath. To live is to survive, to continue to exist.” The girl rises and takes one last look at little boy’s body, wrapped in the blanket. She remembers prising his ice-cold hands off her shirt. No blanket will bring him warmth now. The girl looks up at the morning sky, and the leafless trees with their blackened branches, and the rubble that used to be a village.
“I will go with you, to search for some place untouched by war. There must be some corner of this earth where peace exists, although I hardly believe it. The search will most likely kill me, and though death I go to a whole another place, and that strange and distant place might be without war.”
“Dying is easy, you only have to do it once.” Wild boy says with a smile. His face has become so hard to the wind, and there is a scar that runs down his cheek; these two things make his smile more a curling of the upper lip to reveal sharp, cat like teeth.

DarkEyes said...
Beautiful! The storyline I liked the most was Alexandria's. I love how she struggles through hardship and horror, and eventually comes upon a good ending to her story, presumably. (I kind of wish it would be clearer there) Soldier boy's story made me cry in the end, and was beautifully described. The general seems to have gotten what he deserved, with his gluttony and his uncaringness for human lives, although the officer's uncaringness for him seems cruel. With the general's dau... (more »)

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really good. You're very good ad describing backgrounds and characters and giving premises.

manga_maniac said...
This was fantastic, it's 11pm, i'm exausted, yet i just had to read this straight through . I loved how the stories came together at the end. Really spectacular :)

CautionwetPaint said...
This was an amazing read! Seriously awesome job! Again I must say the way you write has me imagining it all in my head like movie, or tv or something! :) Granted there were some minor spelling and grammar, and there were some parts where you could use pronouns and actions to describe the person rather then saying their name and giving a few details. You know? But anyway the story was riveting, amazing job. it was a powerful story and it was very real. Nothing cliche about it :) This deserves a 5... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 5:35 am :
THANK U i was so worried about it being cliche!!

SN3RD said...
This keeps readers reading! Great Job! Extraordinary! Wanna come check me out and read or rate Hunter's Point or Perspective?

IceFox416 said...

I loved this! Very emotional, yet not sappy. It really is a good story about the aftermath of war. My only suggestions are: Maybe give the girl or a few of the other charecters a name? I think it would bring out how things were for the girl before the war, and how she changed from the innocent girl she once was. But other than that and some minor grammer/spelling mistakes, this was great! I'd definately buy it if it was a book. But I'd also like to see the plot lines tied together a bit more,... (more »)

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

This is a really powerful story--I loved it! I'd give it a 5/5 for sure!

There were a few things you should work on. Watch out for grammar and spelling issues whenever you write a story, but other than that, it was great!

Keep up the good work! :)

Emiri said...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:38 am:

This is something i'd epect to be in a book. I like how you put it in present tense, and the multiple story lines taking pllace in the same setting. I really enjoyed readng this. K)

LifesIllusion said...
Wow! You write like no one i have ever seen before. You write with such utter detail and th am amazing part is that it was all in 3rd person. It's always so much harder to write in this way for me but you have had practice with it obviously! Also, you should keep this forever. When you are old and your opinions on war will differ, it would so cool to go back and read this writing of yours!!! All i can say is that this story inspires me even though i got confused a few times. Definitely 5/5 stars... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm :
I can't find your work! i can only find your favorite work by others! Could you send me a link or something?

applesauceHater said...
You inspire me!the way you use you words is incredible!!!!AMASING IMAGERY!!!!!I loved it!Also, I don't know if it's certain people or what, but 3rd person is usually hard to write in, i guess compared to 1 person, but you nailed it!!!One thing was I was confused about the time period, it might be cuz im just oblivous or something, i only remember a couple wars from russia. But that's probably due to my account, becaus you're just amasing. Loved the last sentence it was awesome, and loved how you... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 4:49 am :

Oh thank you! 

I meant from wehn the gemans invaded Russia, or rather tried to invade russia. I meant for the war to be farily ambiguous, as though it could really be any war. I was looking at war photos to try and grasp what it was like.

applesauceHater replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 6:40 am :
cuz i was thinking of stollins rule and the persecution of old believers, but it quite didnt make sense to be that:) but ur right, it really wouldn't matter which war, there not that different from each other