To Tear A Stone

Author's note: I wrote this because I felt like I had to. I felt powerless against war, as though I could do...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this because I felt like I had to. I felt powerless against war, as though I could do nothing against it. This book is what I can do against war, this book is my protest. It is little, it is only short and I am no one, but it is nevertheless close to my heart.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Battlefront

The men at the front are really boys. They stick out of their uniforms and look at the world with large, confused eyes. They no longer believe the war lies, in the glory, the friendship and magnificence. The real war has jumped off equipment posters and killed everyone they know. Solider boy watches the new requites, who grow younger every shipment. Those little ones, have yet to learn how to kill a man. Those little ones, know what the capital of Norway is, they know that Pb stands for Lead on the
I would not have made my characters speak, but I was told frequently to include it.
periodic table and how to use Pythagoreans. They know what school taught them and no more. These boys, these young, people haven’t had a chance to live before they are killed by somebody else’s war.
“Do you remember that film about the guy who gets in a coma, then when he wakes up the love of his life has married someone else?”
“Yeah, I saw that a long time ago.”
“I kinda feel like, I feel like this is me in a coma. This war is me being completely out of the world. I feel like when I wake up, and return to the real world my girl will have married someone else.”
“There are no men to marry, back home. Everyone is out here. So do not worry. I wish I were in a coma; I’ve always wanted to be in a coma. Just to see what it was like. Better to be in a coma then be here, because if you die in a coma it is your own body that kills you, not someone else’s, like our deaths will be like” Soldier boy smiles at his friend. Smiles used to come easy, as laughter did and does for children. Solider boy is no longer able to smile so easily or laugh. There are few things to laugh and smile at.
Soldier speaks between puffs on his cigarette. Cigarettes kill your hunger, numb your pain, and relax the nerves. When the food is nearly out, and all you have is a piece of bread, a cigarette is beautiful. All the solider boys smoke, as much as they can. Rich food hurts them; they have been hungry so long.
The morning after violence the solider boys huddle together against the cold and the wind, watching the wounded die. The nursing supplies haven’t come yet, so many will die. A boy walks about on the stumps of his legs, wondering why he is stared at. Solider boy has seen this before, a man forgets his legs are blown away; there is somehow a pat of him that does not feel his loss. His blood is pouring out of him and making him slip in the mud. Solider boy only hopes that soon the boy walking on his stumps dies. For now, the boy with stumps’ best friend is death. Death will offer calm and escape. The boy with stumps finally falls on his back. He stares up at the sky, and tears begin to blind him. He knows that his life is over, but he does not really understand why. He watches a storm come in silently.
It is not rain that falls but hail. The solider boys cover their heads with the small plastic sheets they were given against all weather. The sheets are no good. They are weak and heavy. Yet it is all the boys can do, they are not allowed to go into the deserted house, for that is for their officers. The solider boys have to stay out in the weather. The cold creeps into their bones, the wet clings to their skin, the hail pounds relentlessly; all is miserable. From the inside they are gnawed by hunger, from the outside by weather, slowly these boys are eaten way until they are just shells.

DarkEyes said...
Beautiful! The storyline I liked the most was Alexandria's. I love how she struggles through hardship and horror, and eventually comes upon a good ending to her story, presumably. (I kind of wish it would be clearer there) Soldier boy's story made me cry in the end, and was beautifully described. The general seems to have gotten what he deserved, with his gluttony and his uncaringness for human lives, although the officer's uncaringness for him seems cruel. With the general's dau... (more »)

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really good. You're very good ad describing backgrounds and characters and giving premises.

manga_maniac said...
This was fantastic, it's 11pm, i'm exausted, yet i just had to read this straight through . I loved how the stories came together at the end. Really spectacular :)

CautionwetPaint said...
This was an amazing read! Seriously awesome job! Again I must say the way you write has me imagining it all in my head like movie, or tv or something! :) Granted there were some minor spelling and grammar, and there were some parts where you could use pronouns and actions to describe the person rather then saying their name and giving a few details. You know? But anyway the story was riveting, amazing job. it was a powerful story and it was very real. Nothing cliche about it :) This deserves a 5... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 5:35 am :
THANK U i was so worried about it being cliche!!

SN3RD said...
This keeps readers reading! Great Job! Extraordinary! Wanna come check me out and read or rate Hunter's Point or Perspective?

IceFox416 said...

I loved this! Very emotional, yet not sappy. It really is a good story about the aftermath of war. My only suggestions are: Maybe give the girl or a few of the other charecters a name? I think it would bring out how things were for the girl before the war, and how she changed from the innocent girl she once was. But other than that and some minor grammer/spelling mistakes, this was great! I'd definately buy it if it was a book. But I'd also like to see the plot lines tied together a bit more,... (more »)

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

This is a really powerful story--I loved it! I'd give it a 5/5 for sure!

There were a few things you should work on. Watch out for grammar and spelling issues whenever you write a story, but other than that, it was great!

Keep up the good work! :)

Emiri said...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:38 am:

This is something i'd epect to be in a book. I like how you put it in present tense, and the multiple story lines taking pllace in the same setting. I really enjoyed readng this. K)

LifesIllusion said...
Wow! You write like no one i have ever seen before. You write with such utter detail and th am amazing part is that it was all in 3rd person. It's always so much harder to write in this way for me but you have had practice with it obviously! Also, you should keep this forever. When you are old and your opinions on war will differ, it would so cool to go back and read this writing of yours!!! All i can say is that this story inspires me even though i got confused a few times. Definitely 5/5 stars... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm :
I can't find your work! i can only find your favorite work by others! Could you send me a link or something?

applesauceHater said...
You inspire me!the way you use you words is incredible!!!!AMASING IMAGERY!!!!!I loved it!Also, I don't know if it's certain people or what, but 3rd person is usually hard to write in, i guess compared to 1 person, but you nailed it!!!One thing was I was confused about the time period, it might be cuz im just oblivous or something, i only remember a couple wars from russia. But that's probably due to my account, becaus you're just amasing. Loved the last sentence it was awesome, and loved how you... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 4:49 am :

Oh thank you! 

I meant from wehn the gemans invaded Russia, or rather tried to invade russia. I meant for the war to be farily ambiguous, as though it could really be any war. I was looking at war photos to try and grasp what it was like.

applesauceHater replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 6:40 am :
cuz i was thinking of stollins rule and the persecution of old believers, but it quite didnt make sense to be that:) but ur right, it really wouldn't matter which war, there not that different from each other