The Girl of Many Names

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

Truth is revealed

Once my ears were unclogged I could hear Jaque and his grandmother talking. Marie and Louis had left,I didn't blame them.
As I laid on the grass I could hear Jaque's grandmother's gentle apologetic tone.
“ I lost control.”
“ How could you cheat on grandfather Rionno? I'm sure he's turning over in his grave right now! How could you trick me? That means that there is no ransom money for me!” Jaque said with anger.
“ You make me feel so bad. Jaque. I only was with Franca when Rionno was away on business. When I found out that I had a baby, Adela, I couldn't keep her. I wanted her gone. So I drove into the country side for hours. Finally I found a farm that looked inviting, so I put Adela in her basket and hoped for the best.”
“ But why did you tell me that she was Marie's daughter?”
“ Because when I asked you to keep an eye on her and you asked why, saying that she was Marie's daughter was the first thing that popped into my mind.”
Feeling better, I walked over to Jaque and his grandmother. Sitting down on the grass I said softly, “ So you're my real mother.”
She nodded her head sadly. “ I'm afraid so. I am sorry for all this Adela. I never knew that Jaque would try to use you for ransom. I only wanted him to watch over you, his marrying you, and using you for ransom were his own idea.”
“ You are an evil beast!” I hit him hard with my fist. “ You're mother tells you to watch over me, and then you use me for your own purposes. You lock me away, and treat me poorly. You-”
My mother wrapped me in her arms. “ I am so sorry Adela. So sorry.”
“ So my name is Adela now? Not Bella, not Claire, but Adela?”
“ Yes that is your birth name.”
I shook my head in amazement. “ With all of these different names, how am I ever going to find the real me?”
“ You're still who you've always been. A sassy, outspoken girl who doesn't like to be told what to do,” Jaque snapped, “ And you're still MY wife. Which means I still can tell you what do even if you don't like it. Now, we are going home.”
“ No. I'm through with you telling me what to do. You tried to kill me, and I've never liked you. I am going back to Fernan, even if he can't afford my bride price! You know why? Because he loves me and you don't!”
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to run away. Jaque's marriage rights were binding so I had to remain his wife. However, his mother made sure that I was well taken care of, and that I had a villa of my own where she frequently visited, and we were able to catch up on all the years that we had missed in my life. And so ends the story of me, the girl of many names.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

This book has 4 comments. Post your own now!

ArtsygirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 8:49 am
Sorry that the chapters doubled. I don't know what happend there :(

Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:53 am
Thanks! I kinda of just wrote the story as it popped into my head. I'm so glad you liked it!

Bookworm1 said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:11 am
Loved it!! It was exciting! I'd have liked it if she punched Jaque at the end though, he deserved it! Sad also that she didn't end up with Fernan! But i loved Adela/Bella/Claire!

Jul. 13, 2011 at 8:32 am
Thank you to the first person who voted my book a 5! I really appreciate your feedback!