The Girl of Many Names

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Locked away like a princess

Jaque, if that was really his name, was a smart man, he didn't trust me. When we arrived at his estate I was breath taken. The house seemed to sprawl on and on forever. The lawns were pristine and well kept with flowers in neat little beds, not growing free and wild like at my home. As we rode into the governor's drive I saw a little red barn tucked away, filled with horses of all different breeds.
“ Whose horses are those?” I pointed to the barn.
“ Mine of course. Do you ride?” He helped me down from the carriage, and motioned for the driver to get my bags.
“ No, I never had the chance. We couldn't afford a horse. I've never traveled away from my home before.”
He chuckled. “ Well this is all new for you then.”
I hoped that I would be able to visit the horses, but he ushered me inside.
The inside of the house was dark and gloomy. The walls were adorned with paintings of men hunting and fishing. It looked like a perfect house for a bachelor but not a man and his wife.
“ This is Clarett,” Jaque motioned to the man carrying my bags, “ He's one of the help, he's the butler and the driver. Also Nora the cook, and Adora the maid. You are free to use them as well as I am. Clarett, would you take Claire to her room?”
“ If you don't mind, please call me Bella. I'm used to it, and I can't wrap my mind around that I might not actually be a Bella,” she said to Clarett.
Clarett shrugged in response. “ I suppose if that is what you what you want Madam Bella.”
I followed Clarett up the steep staircase. As we kept going farther and farther up, I got nervous.
“ Clarett, is Jaque making me sleep in the attic?”
Clarett reached the top of the steps and took out a key from his pocket, putting it in the lock of the door at the top of the steps.
“ No Madame Bella. You are sleeping in the tower. It is for your safety. And-” He unlocked the door, set the bags down, and motioned for me to come inside. He walked swiftly outside the door, shut it, and locked the key. “-So that you don't run away.”
“ What?” I began to cry, “ What kind of monster is Jaque?”
On the floor I continued to sob. My life was ruined. I was going to be locked in a tower with a crazy man as my husband miles and miles away from the love of my life. What more could go wrong?
As I looked up I could see that more could go wrong. The room that I was put in may have not been called an attic, but it looked like one. The bed was wobbly and made of rusted metal, there was a small rotting wardrobe, and the room was covered in peeling paint. There were mouse droppings on the floor, and cobwebs in the corners. This room probably looked beautiful at one time, like my life thus far, but just like my life, it had gone into disrepair.
“ What am I going to do? What is going to happen to me?” I cried aloud.
Jaques words rang in my head, “ You'll find out soon enough, you'll find out soon enough...”

ArtsygirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 8:49 am:
Sorry that the chapters doubled. I don't know what happend there :(

Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:53 am:
Thanks! I kinda of just wrote the story as it popped into my head. I'm so glad you liked it!

Bookworm1 said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:11 am:
Loved it!! It was exciting! I'd have liked it if she punched Jaque at the end though, he deserved it! Sad also that she didn't end up with Fernan! But i loved Adela/Bella/Claire!

Jul. 13, 2011 at 8:32 am:
Thank you to the first person who voted my book a 5! I really appreciate your feedback!