The Underground Railroad

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »

Chapter 7

Beatrice woke up to the sound of the hustle and bustle on the street. She pushed herself out of her bed and pulled her clothes on. She picked up the empty water bucket from the side of her bed. Then she walked down the stairs to fill it up with water.
Beatrice’s life was very different than it had been before. Now she lived in a small apartment building with a lot of other girls. Each of them had a small room with a small bed and a table. They had to share one bathroom and a kitchen. All of them did have one thing in common though; they all used to be slaves that now worked for families as cleaners. Beatrice worked for the Jones’ family, who paid her 1 dollar a day. They were a family of three, a mother, a father, and a little girl. The little girl was 6 years old, and her name was Rhia. Beatrice had found out that Rhia was different than the other people that lived in Canada, she was nicer somehow. Every time Beatrice walked into the Jones’ house, Rhia would be waiting for her at the door. And while Beatrice was busy cleaning, Rhia would follow her around the house, helping Beatrice with the cleaning when Rhia could reach.
As Beatrice filled the bucket up with water, she could hear the other girls also starting to wake up. When her bucket of water was full, Beatrice carried it up the stairs and set it down on her table. With her little washcloth that she had bought from the store, she washed her face. Feeling cleaner, Beatrice put her money into her inside coat pocket and walked out the door.
Beatrice started towards the small grocery store that was across from the little apartment building. Beatrice had always gone there to buy a little slice of bread for breakfast. As Beatrice walked closer to the store, she saw a lot of people gathering around a small stand placed outside of the store. Curious as to what was going on, Beatrice slowly walked towards the stand. It was then that she heard the voice of who was talking. It was Richard.
Richard was talking to a big crowd of people, waving a piece of paper in the air. On the paper was a picture of Beatrice. Beatrice held her breath, Richard was looking for her! She had to run away from this place before he found her, but how could she? The Jones was such a nice family and treated her fairly, and Beatrice could not stand to leave Rhia. Beatrice stood there, not moving a muscle, trying to decide what she should do. No, Beatrice thought, I won’t do it. Richard cannot bring me back anyway, I am safe now. But just as Beatrice turned to leave, Richard turned his head slightly. Seeing Beatrice, Richard grinned.