The Underground Railroad

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10

Chapter 10

After walking for many hours, she came upon a small village. The snow had started to come down a few hours earlier, and she was wet, cold, tired, and very hungry. She came upon a nice little house, with light shining out of all the windows, and the heavenly smell of roast beef floating out from the kitchen. Nevertheless, the door was shut, so Beatrice kept on moving.
Then Beatrice came upon a little house, and she could barely stand up against the strong wind. Beatrice, with her whole body shaking, pushed open the door. The door creaked in protest, but finally allowed itself to be pushed open. Inside the house was dimly lit, with spider webs hanging from the ceiling. Still, it looked cozy enough, with a nice big fireplace in the wall. Anyone could tell that no one had lived there for a long time, and no one intended to come back, because the whole house was bare of any furniture it once possessed.
Not being able to feel the tips of her fingers, Beatrice thought it might be a good idea to go get some firewood. Because the wood was damp, she could only get a small fire going. After taking off her outer clothes, she used a big stick to clean up all the spider webs. Feeling like she had accomplished something, she laid down on the floor and fell asleep.
The next day she woke up and saw the sun had come up and was shining on a white blanket of snow. Putting on all her clothes, she went outside to see what she could see.
The cold outside took her breath away, but that did not stop her from wandering all the way around the house. She saw that the house needed a lot of work, and that there was a little forest behind it. It was also a ways from the village, so she would have some peace and quiet.
Seeing that her firewood was all gone, she went into the woods to get some more. Walking through the newly fallen snow, seeing the birds chirping among the trees, she realized that this would be her new home. No doubt about it, she would stay here and try to make a living. She knew that is would be tough, but this time she would be free, really and truly free.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_8lrigqiodflpeoeebi9ei71uh5, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0