The Lost Raven | Teen Ink

The Lost Raven

By Noi, Saint Louis, Missouri
Noi, Saint Louis, Missouri

As I walk through the forest, I watch the golden leaves gently fall to the ground, as if they were a feather shimmering in the wind. I look around and find a stone path that I have not seen before. I walk down the mysterious stone path, curious about what might be at the end. The path went on and on forever until I came across a door. The door was made out of wood and surrounded by old stones of different shapes and colors. I peck at the door in curiosity about why it was there. I go through my memories -a mental ‘history check’ as I touch the doorknob. The old door seems to be made by a fallen warlock from a long time ago. I open the door and go through. I found myself in a new place from the unknown. The door shuts behind me and fades away leaving no trace of it. I look around and find that my Tallinn’s were gone and were replaced with human hands. In shock, I stepped back, got a clear bottle out of my bag, and looked into my reflection. I had the body of a human, “this is strange, I do say” I said in a whisper to myself. I seem to

find myself in a forest, “it looks to be spring.”

“Ummm hello?” A Stranger says as they approach.

I back up in surprise and say “ O hello, how can I help you?” in a surprised tone.

“My name is Rose Crummey,” she says staring at my clothes.

“Hello, Mis. Crummey my name is John Rogers, but you can call me whatever you wish” I say knowing that the people here would probably not understand my real name. 

She walks around me in a circle staring at my clothes. 

“Hmmm, how would you like to come to my shop young man? If you do, I will give you new clothes for the ones that you have on.” Rose says with a smile.

“Why not” I give her a smirk as I followed her from behind.

“Might I ask, why were you in the forest all alone?” I say curiously.

“I was going to my son's grave to give him some flowers down,” Rose says tearing up.

“O… I am sorry for your loss, your son must have been lucky to have you as a mother.” I try to say with a warm smile. “You see when I was at a young age my mother and father were sadly taken away from me, leaving me to survive on the streets. He was lucky to have you in his life, and to even have you visit him must be a blessing in itself” I say trying to comfort her. 

“Thank you for the comforting words, Rogers,” Rose says sympathetically.

“Sorry if this is too personal, but might I ask what your sun was like?”  I say with a tilt of my head curiously, trying to make conversation. 

“His name was Levi, he was a cheerful kid. He was drafted into war when he was 20 and died here after getting too sick to serve as a soldier” Rose said in a heartbroken tone. 

“Mis. Crummey umm, what is your favorite type of flower?” I said feeling bad and changing the subject. 

“If I had to pick one it would be Peony flowers, and you?” Rose said perking up at the change of subject.

“Will if I had to pick umm, Buttercups. did you know buttercups are associated with humility, neatness, and childishness?” I say with a smile and wink, trying to lighten up the energy in the area.

“O’Reilly, mind if you tell me what my flower is associated with thin,” Rose said with a light laugh.

Taking a book about flowers out of my bag, “Peony can be associated with; romance, prosperity, good fortune, a happy marriage, riches, honor, and compassion.” I say pointing my index finger at the the page. “See, it says right here.” 

“Umm sorry, but I can't read,” Rose says looming over the paper from the side.

“O, sorry,” I say embarrassed.

“Sorry for what silly, there is nothing to say sorry for?” Rose says laughing to herself.

Rose and I ended up chatting about all types of things we love doing. The forest was beautiful, all of the trees and flowers had bloomed and they shined as the sun loomed over the leaves. As we walked I started liking this beautiful woman named Rose, with her lovely Bronte hair, emerald eyes, and porcelain skin. She was like shiny jewels on a pile of gold, held together by cracked stone walls covered in vines. All I could think is how beautiful she would look in wight, gold, and covered in emerald green jewels. Holding myself back from my natural behavior of taking anything shiny. I hold my hands behind my back, soothing over my palm to distract my thoughts. We both spat dry jokes at each other, laughing to the point of crying and heaving over with a loss of breath.

Once we made it to the clothes shop Rose and I wiped tears of laughter as we went inside, taking deep breaths. 

“Now thin what type of clothes do you like to wear?“ Rose says with a cheerful smile. 

“I don't know, how about you pick something out for me,” I say curious what she would pick.

“Welcome back Mommy!” a little girl's voice says from the back of the shop. 

“I am home Elli, are you feeling better?” Rose says walking to the back of the shop, with a sudden change of attitude.

“No, Mommy I don't feel well,” Elli says in a horse-quiet voice.

“How do you not feel well, can you explain where?” I say going to Rose’s side to see if I could help.

The girl points to her throat, head, and stomach.

“My stomach hurts, my head feels as if it was s-splitting apart. My throat feels as if I s-swallowed a bunch of n-needles” Elli said in a barely hearable voice. 

“I see lit me look in my bag, I may have something to help,” I say opening my bag, moving jars, trinkets, and doodads to the side. 

I pull out a jar of herbs, a lemon, teacup, spoon, and a flask of water. I take a spoonful of herbs and place it in the teacup, mixing it with water and lemon. 

“Here drink this, it should help with your sore throat,” I say giving Elli the teacup.

“T-thank you-Sir,” Elli said in a hopeful voice as she drank it down. 

“Now then, go to sleep ok,” Rose said warmly.

“Ok mommy,” Elli said, covering herself up in a mack sift bed of different fabrics.

“Good night Sir,” Elli said with a gentle wave of her pail hand as she pulled the cloth over her curly blond hair and brown eyes. Rose and I walked to the front part of the shop. 

“Do you know what is wrong with her?” I ask trying to sound as quiet as possible.

“I had a doctor here and he said that she has a terrible flu and that she will people die in two to three days. I believe it was the same sickness my son had when he died. The terrible flu has been going around to all of the soldiers, from what I hear wall walking down the streets for the last couple of days” she said sadly, as she went through a jor for something. After a couple of seconds, she pools out a thing of mishearing tape. 

“If your mind I am going to major you starting with your chest and waste,” she says placing on a pair of glasses. 

“Understood Mis. Crummey,” I say taking off my bag and jacket so they don’t get in the way, as I stand straight with my hands over my head, trying my best to stay still.

“You don’t have to call me Mis. Crummey all the time, just call me Rose, Ok.”

After half an hour of standing, Rose was finished misreading me. looking through a pile of pre-made clothes, Rose stopped and picked out some clothes. 

“Here go over there to change,” Rose said as she continued pushing me into a changing room.

As I look at the clothes I find them to be well-sown and the fabric was as nice too. Rose picked out a white dress shirt, a black vest with a thin wight line pattern, and a pair of black dress pants.  After a while, I come out of the dressing room with the clothes on.

“And here is the last peas of your outfit,” Rose says placing a yellow broach in the shape of a flower on the collar of my dress shirt. 

“Thank you, you have no idea how much this mings to me,” I say with a smile.

“Do you have a place to stay?” Rose says as she rubs the back of her neck wall laughing.

“No, not really, do you know where I can find an inn?”

“Over to the lift, two streets down you can find one,” Rose says with a smile.

“Hay, Rose take this,” I say grabbing a necklace out of my bag to give to her.

“May we meet again sometime to have a cup of tea and or coffee, and may we chat and tell jokes again,” I say with a happy warm smile. As I leave the shop I now find myself walking down a stone street as I followed Rose's instructions. 

“I see this must be the inn,” I say trying to reed the sine to my best ability. 

As I went throw the door I walked over to talk to the person up at the front.

“Hello, I would like a room for two days,” I say to the person.

“That would be 30 cents,”  the person says with a smile.

“Sorry I don’t have any of that currency on me, will this gold coin work?” I say hoping that I will not have to sleep outside.  

“Let me get the boss down here,” the man says looking shocked at how casually I pulled out the gold coin. 

The man walked to the landline phone to call his boss down from his office which I presume is on the top floor.

“The boss wants to talk to you,” the man says in surprise.

“Hello is this the Boss I am talking to on the phone?” I say tired. 

“Yes, mind if you tell me where you got your gold coin?” he says in a deep voice

“O, well where I come from gold coins are rare to come by unless you’re a wealthy person or a merchant. You see I sell herbs that have medicinal properties”

“O, mind to tell me where this place is?” the Boss says in a curious voice. 

“Past the sea-land,  mountains, and a single door is where you will find where I come from,” I say hoping he won’t ask more. 

“I see, you may stay here as long as you wish, just give the coin to the boy up at the front,” the Boss says with a sigh. 

“Here, the boss says I can stay here as long as I wish,” I say giving the coin to the person upfront. 

“Here is your key Sir,” the person says giving me a key with a tag saying room fore.

“Thank you,” I say going to my room.

I wake up finding myself in a comfy bed. As I look around the room, it seems to be quite bare. I got up and combed my jet-black hair back; and then I washed my face with the cold water, that was in the pan by my bed. 

“Will thin, time to see Rose and Elli,” I say to myself as I pick up my bag to leave the room. 

As I walk on the stone path start to wonder if Rose has a daughter and son, then who is the husband? As I get closer to Rose’s shop I start to hear shouts and yells, so I hid in an alleyway to hear what they were saying.

“Useless,” I hear a man say in a deep booming voice.

“I’m sorry dear, please lesson! I am not having an affair with you!” I hear a familiar voice say in distress. 

“O’Reilly then where did you get that expensive-looking necklace from, and who was that MAN that came out of  MY shop!” the deep booming voice commanded angrily.

“He was a person I met after visiting our SONS GRAVE, now then, ONLY if  YOU would even VISIT HIM INSTEAD OF DRINKING US INTO DEAT!”  I hear the familiar voice say in anger and sadness.

“SHUT UP YOU SLUT,” the deep booming voice says, later hearing shattering glass and a screech of what I assume is a woman in pang.

“Grrrrr Trash,” the deep voice says; leaving the woman who is as silent as the wind. 

As I walked out of the ally way I continued my walk to Rose’s shop, but when I got there I found Rose sitting up at the door.

“Good morning Rose, how are… you?” I say walking closer to Rose, trembling from what I just realized just happened. Rose slouched there, blood going down her face with a circle gash in her side. I ran to Rose’s side placing a towel from my bag on the gash placing just the right amount of preacher to her side, but sadly it was too late, Rose had lost too much blood.

“No, Nononono-NO!’ I say trying not to break down into broken sobs as I close my eyes. I feel a hand brush up on my skin and open my eyes to find it is Rose’s.

“H-hay, s-sorry we can’t have a cup of tea right now ha-ha,” Rose says in a whisper as she slightly smiles in surprise.

“Hay can you do me a favor Jehu?” Rose says in a gentle whisper as she smiles with hope.

“Yes, I would do anything for you without a taught!” I say choking down tears and sobs. 

“Please take care of my daughter, never let her father near here. If you may smile more, tears don’t soot you ha-ha” She said sweetly smiling with tears going down her face as she took her final breath. 

“Understood, I will protect and take care of your daughter,” I say as I pick her up, and walk into the shop sitting her up against the dresser on the floor. As I walk to the back I find Elli lying down in the makeshift bed. I pick her up and find her snuggled up against my chest, her head was burning up. I leave the shop and go straight to the inn. I lay Elli on my bed and place a cold wet rag on her head, and place some tea on a stool by the bed; for when she wakes up. I then went to the police office to make a report about what happened. When I got there I saw a concrete building with people wearing black uniforms and hats with metal badges on the front. As I walked in I signed a report about what happened and told the police officers that I would like to take care of the kid for Rose. 

“If you want to adopt the kid then go to an orphanage to get the papers,” the officer said with a sigh of tiredness. 

“thank you, Mr. Officer,” I said smiling.

I leave the police office and go to an orphanage on a couple of streets according to the officer.    

After a while of walking, I find myself at the orphanage.

“Hello I would like to have papers to adopt a child,” I say to the person up front.

“Who would you like to adopt?” the person says smiling.

”I have a kid who was abandoned and I wish to adopt them,” I say with a smile.

“Ok then, just sign these papers and give prof of iD that you live in the U.S.,” the person says with their hands folded on the disk.

“Ok, here is my library iD cared,” I say giving them the care.

“Will now sign the papers and the kid is yours,” the person says giving me a small stack of papers. Once I got the papers I started signing them eminently. 

“Finished!” I say out of the excitement of having a kid around.

“Ok, Sir here are your papers showing that the kid is yours now,” he says smiling.

“Thank you very much,” I say running back to the inn with the papers in my bag. 

“Hay you!” A deep booming voice says as it gets closer. I immediately recognize it as Rose’s husband. I picked up speed towards the police officer. When I got close enough to the police office, I ended up running into an officer from earlier. The officer went to help me when seeing a drunk man with a dark red substance on their clothes. 

“Hay you stop there,” the police officer said wall taking him down and handcuffing him. 

“Do you know this man Sir?” the police officer said in a concerned tone.

“Yes, this is the man who killed his wife, Rose Crummey,” I say in a sad and angry tone.

As I watch the man with the messy blond hair who reeks of cheap booze walk past me into the police office. I now continue my walk to the inn, without anything getting in my way. When I arrived, I went to my room to find Elli sitting up drinking some tea.

“Hi, Sir” Elli could barely breathe let alone talk.

“Hay now lay back or you may get worse,” I say as gently as I can.

After a cup of tea, we said our prayers we went to sleep. 

When I woke up Elli was a shade of purple she could not breathe and dyed in a matter of minutes as she held Jehu’s hand till the end. 

“ life is like a flower, life can be beauty, pain, happiness, yet it all fades away when mother nature brings something new. I will never forget the time I spent with you all”  I say in a sad lonely voice. Walking out of Roses' home, I find my world to become dark, and the sound of sand surrounds me in the pitch darkness of the abyss. ‘Where might I go now?’