Journey back to the Lake | Teen Ink

Journey back to the Lake

By MagsPinard, Cape Town, Other
MagsPinard, Cape Town, Other

"It has long been my axiom that the little things are infinitely the most important."

-Sherlock Holmes

Author's note:

I am a teenage writer, who loves both the Edwardian and Victorian eras. I am very passionate about stories that tell of overcoming loss and that create memorable and heartwarming characters. I also adore old-fashioned love stories.

It is set in the Maria's present.

1903 Blue Ridge Village School, England

The melancholy chiming of the old Grandfather clock made young Maria Stone restless. The school day was taking its sweet time to end. "It seems to be conspiring with the clock," she thought. School days often did so.

But then all days seemed to have that effect on the poor old clock. Maria often thought it strange that enjoyable days seemed to turn the hands faster than disagreeable days. And still, people said that there is the same amount of time each day.

"No, it cannot be! Oh, yet it must be. I better not think of such things. Aunt Claudette will tell me I had better not ponder the workings of nature and focus more on my geometry." A tiny smile formed on Maria's small mouth.

Maria sat in a brightly lit classroom filled with impatient boys and girls. With the summer holidays only fifteen minutes away, it was hard to concentrate on Ms. Roland pathetically trying to capture their interest.

She looked quite comical as she excitedly chattered away about topics that might as well have been written in Ancient Greek. She didn't understand how anyone could be enthusiastic about these subjects. She knew she was missing something, but she had yet to uncover its essence.

Ding-dong, ding-dong! Finally, the last day of school had come to an end. Both the teacher and the students were relieved. Ms. Roland said her goodbyes to the young men and women, wishing them all a restful and fun-filled holiday.

Maria quietly packed up her books and looked up at the window overlooking a small lily pond. A few ducks quacked and bobbed on the water, with the rays of golden sunbeams shining on their feathers. "Maria?" Maria quickly turned her head. "Oh, Helen! I'm sorry, I must have been lost in thought." Maria lifted a pair of embarrassed eyes to her friend's lovely face. "Oh, that's all right. I just wanted to make sure you weren't locked up in the schoolroom by mistake." Helen said cheekily.

Maria smiled at her friend. Helen had been her best friend for as long as she could remember. The girls were very close and had shared many wonderful years together.

"Well, shall we be off?" Helen said cheerfully, walking towards the door. Maria soon followed with a lunchbox in hand. The two girls decided that they would take the long way home, going around the Silverton fields. Maria said that they would be filled with wildflowers, and she wanted some to press.

And indeed, there was an abundance of flowers. Red, yellow, blue, purple, and every other color you can imagine. Maria sat down under the cool shadow of an old tree and drank in the beauty she saw before her. The smell of nature was far sweeter to her than any perfume. Small bluebells were sprinkled everywhere. Beautiful white daisies made up a part of the field's bouquet, and Foxgloves, Cowslips, and many others formed the rest.

Maria sat there in wonder. "Maria, are you going to sit there all afternoon, or are you going to pick some flowers?" Maria blushed. "I'm sorry, Helen, it's just so beautiful. I just had to savor it."

Helen grinned. "I know. Don't worry, I was just teasing. I myself am astonished at how beautiful this old field can be in the summer. Do you think we could have a picnic here in the future?" "Oh, what a lovely idea! Oh, Helen, let's!" Helen smiled. "Well now, since we'll be returning very soon, let's pick some flowers now and save the enjoyment of the view for another day, okay?" Maria laughed but agreed with her friend. They picked one of each flower, and then went on their way.

"Oh, dear!" Helen suddenly giggled. "What is it?" Maria asked, confused by her friend's sudden outburst. "Um... Maria, your dress is covered in dirt." "Oh no." Maria groaned and turned to try and get a view of the back of her dress. "It's not so terribly bad." Helen tried to appease Maria. "Still, Aunt Claudette will have a fit if she sees that I've dirtied my best school dress." She said regretfully. "Maybe she won't notice." Helen tried once more. "Oh, Helen. Thank you for trying to help, but I'll just have to face the music." Maria lifted her chin and continued walking.

As they neared the small cottage where Maria and her stern Aunt Claudette lived, she could feel a knot forming in her stomach. Helen looked over at her friend, concern evident on her face. "Can't you change your dress before your aunt sees you?" Maria gave her friend a gentle smile, one that Helen immediately read as "You know I can't."

Helen and Maria walked slowly towards the small, whitewashed cottage. The girls couldn't help but notice that the roses had already started to bloom and that the garden was looking lovely. But any hope they might have had of Aunt Claudette not being home was quickly swept away as the small clouds of smoke ascended from the chimney. Dinner was definitely being prepared.

Maria was nervous about what her aunt would say. Would she just be scolded? Or would there be a long lecture this evening? Maria hated lectures. They went on so long and without any time limit. Some lectures continued the next day. Those were the worst kind, for it started a day most unpleasantly.

With these thoughts swirling in her mind, Maria and Helen walked through the garden and stood in front of the cottage's door. Helen turned to face her friend

It is set in the aunt, Aunt Claudette's past.

1898 London, England

Chapter 2:

“Can I help you with that Claudie dear?” Edna Stone asked her sister. “I can manage Edie. Don’t worry.” 23-year-old, Claudette Raymond was struggling up the large steps of her sister’s house with a suitcase big enough to make a man struggle. “Nonsense Claudette. You can’t pull that suitcase all the way up these stairs. James will help you. James!” Edna called her husband hoping he would hurry.
“Edie, there’s no reason to bother James. I am perfectly capable of carrying my own suitcase.” Claudette huffed; her face red with the effort of dragging the suitcase. “Stubborn as usual.” Edna smiled at her determined young sister.
“Well. Now, what do we have here? You two at it again I see.” James Stone walked in, looking very much amused by his sister-in-law’s efforts. “Oh, James do help her. She won’t let me help her.” “You can’t be pulling suitcases in your condition!” Claudette looked horrified at the thought of her expectant sister pulling a suitcase. “Well, I’m sure I should have sat down by now. But your determined to have me standing here, worrying no less.” Claudette looked up, knowing her sister made a very good point. Looking defeated she handed the suitcase off to her sister’s husband. “All right James. Would you please help me?” James smiled and carried the suitcase over to her bedroom.
“Goodness Claudette. Have you got dresses of gold in here?” Claudette only glared at her brother-in-law.
As Claudette and Edna walked to the parlour, Claudette took in the warm and inviting atmosphere of her sister’s home. This was her place of refuge, where she could forget about Robert’s death. There was a quick flash of pain across Claudette’s face. She quickly regained her composure and turned her attention to her sister. “I hear the doctor said it could be any day now.” They walked into the parlour and the sisters chose the big green velvet setae to sit on.
The room was decorated with a warm orange printed wallpaper; a few large armchairs were placed by the blazing fire. The fire’s warm glow made the room feel cosy and safe.
“Yes. He thinks maybe as early as next week.” Edna said excitedly. “Next week! I did not think it as soon as that.” Claudette was eager to become an aunt. She wished she could be a doting aunt, one who gives candy before supper, and tells bedtime stories, and oh, the endless possibilities!
“Is that the reason for your visit sister?” Edna looked at her sister, fully expecting an affirmative answer. “Edie, I wish it was. But my reasons are unfortunately selfish.” Claudette could feel the lump forming in her throat. “Claudie, are you all, right?” Edna reached for her sister’s hand and squeezed it gently. “Oh, Edna. My heart feels as though it could break. I miss him so!” Claudette and her sister sat in silence. Edna looked into her sister’s eyes, “Claudie these things are never easy. I understand if you want to talk about it.” Claudette smiled tearily at her sister, “I’ve just felt so weak. I want to be strong; I know he wouldn’t want me to be so sad all the time. But I just can’t help it.” The tears started to really flow now. “Dear Claudette, it’s not weak to mourn someone you loved. It’s perfectly natural for you to feel vulnerable or even melancholy.” Edna looked at her sister with love filling her eyes. Her sister having lost not only the man she loved very dearly but her parents in the same year pained Edna’s heart. She wanted to help her sister, but she didn’t know how. If only she knew that her just listening, meant more to Claudette, than any words she might have spoken to console her.
“Edna, I’ve been thinking. Should I still be nursing after what happened to Robert?” Edna was shocked. “Claudie, it wasn’t your fault!” “I know, but I should have seen the signs, Edna. He was having those headaches regularly, I thought it was only tiredness, but if only I knew!” Claudette looked down at the pattern on the carpet, refusing to meet her sister’s concerned gaze. “Claudette Robert himself was a doctor and he didn’t recognize his symptoms as something serious. Don’t blame yourself for something that was out of your hands. These things unfortunately do happen.” Edna sighed and looked at her sister who was still looking at the carpet.
“I can’t bear taking care of someone when I couldn’t even help Robert.” Claudette shook her head. “It just doesn’t feel right.” Edna squeezed Claudette’s hands, “It may feel that way now sister, but in time you will think better of the situation. I can promise you that. After Mother died, I thought I would never feel happy again, and yet happiness seemed to return after a while. So shall your situation improve in time. I’m sure of it.” Claudette seemed somewhat convinced, but Edna knew it would take a while for her sister to fully take in her words.
“Come. I think we should get a good strong cup of tea into you. Maybe a biscuit or two. What do you say to that?” Claudette looked grateful. Somehow her sister always knew when she needed the topic to be changed. She looked at her sister’s face. It was certainly lovely. Her sea-blue eyes and red hair gave her a whimsical charm. And the compassion in her eyes made her face look comforting and caring. What a lucky child her little niece or nephew would be, to have such a lovely mother, Claudette thought.
Just then James entered the room and went to sit down in one of the big armchairs by the fire. “Well, Claudette. What’s the news from home?” Claudette smiled. “There isn’t much to tell. Old Mr Rupert is well, and you should see Peter’s little boy.” Claudette said dreamily. “How old is the little chap now?” Claudette frowned. “Well, he was born about 12 months before Peter and Mary caught the scarlet fever, and he was about 13 months when they passed away. I think about 4 years old now.” James nodded. “It seems to me; he must then be the heir of Bram Bush Manor.” Claudette nodded in the affirmative. All three sat for a moment in silence. All contemplating what the poor little boy’s life would be like living with his grandfather. They knew that Mr Rupert was very fond of the boy, but he could never be little Gerald’s parents. “Robert always said he wanted a nephew to take fishing on Saturdays., Claudette recalled silently. “He did so love that little nephew of his. And I think Gerald would have enjoyed having an uncle like Robert.” James said thoughtfully.
“I heard that Mr Rupert gave you the key to Robert’s room,” Edna said. Claudette frowned, “Yes, he did. He told me that I could take any of Robert’s belongings that I wanted, as well as the key. I’ve only taken his white coat. I’m still contemplating if I should take anything from his room.”
Claudette looked at the fire. It had been almost a year since Robert died, and she hadn’t given herself much time to process his death. Losing her parents in the train accident only 3 months before Robert’s death had already been too much for her to bear. Claudette didn’t know how many more people she could bear to lose. “Claudette, I don’t want to meddle in your life, but James and I will need someone to help us when the baby comes. Would you consider staying with us? Just for a little while.” Edna looked from Claudette to her husband.
Claudette’s face, beamed with delight. “Edie, that sounds lovely, but of course I’ll stay.” Claudette hugged her sister tightly and whispered a grateful thank you.
“Well since that’s settled, shall we enjoy a game of cards?” Edna and Claudette laughed but agreed with James. They enjoyed an evening of leisure, and much time was devoted to picking out a name for the baby.
Eventually, it was decided that if the baby was a boy, he would be named after Edna and Claudette’s father, Daniel, but if it was a girl, she would be named Maria. James favoured that name very much, since it had been his grandmother’s, and both Edna and Claudette agreed that it was a lovely name.
And so, with the names picked out, everyone felt excited for the baby to claim, his or her name.
Claudette went to bed with a light heart. At peace for the first time in many months, she opened her window breathing in the last breath of the day’s air. The stars were just starting to appear, and the dark violet sky glimmered with the tiny sky jewels. Even though the city was still bustling below her window, Claudette paid it little mind. True, London was not her favourite place in the world, but it was just so different from the countryside, different from the place where she and Robert had spent so much time together. London seemed to be a gate, that ushered her into a new life.
A slight chill filling the room, made Claudette shiver. Reluctantly she closed the windows and drew the heavy velvet curtains.
She readied for bed and just as she was about to turn down the lamp there was a knock on the door.
“Who is it?” A muffled voice answered: “Claudie, it’s Edna. Can I speak to you for a minute?” Claudette turned the lamp to its full strength. “Of course, come in.” Edna opened the door, she was still dressed, but her hair was already taken down. She sat on Claudette’s bed and started talking:
“Claudette, James, and I have decided on something. Now I wanted to talk to you about it first, for it is your decision to make, but we want you to be our baby’s Godmother.” Claudette couldn’t stop the smile that spread across her face. “Oh Edie, I would love to! Oh, how exciting now I can spoil that baby good and proper.” Edna laughed at this, but she looked very pleased.
“Well since that’s settled, I’m fully satisfied. The baby may now arrive at whatever time it chooses.” Claudette couldn’t help but smile. Her sister and brother-in-law were providing more comfort and joy than she had felt in a long time. Whomever the baby was, she knew that it would be special. The sisters embraced, and Edna returned to her room eager to tell James that Claudette had accepted the role of Godmother.
Claudette closed her eyes, and the sweet feeling of happiness spilt over her.