throne | Teen Ink

throne

By KekaSanborn BRONZE, Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
KekaSanborn BRONZE, Lake Saint Louis, Missouri

Author's note:

This piece has inspiration from the game, Ghost of Tsushima. A game set in Japan but I put my story during the chinese era. 

During the 11th century, The Song Dynasty ruled all of China. They were more powerful than anyone imaginable, in the world. China was the largest and most feared world power with rule of 10 kingdoms. In Jiangjing, The Capital of the Ten Kingdoms, Yingzong rested on the highest hill of the whole city. Right below the highest hill there were the wealthy, and just below that, on the lowest level resided the peasants. There are many different levels to society that are known but all different people thirst for power. 

“Shen, come here and hand me the bowl of rice.” said Shen’s Mother, “you know we can’t afford any more clothes so I need you to start chipping in, yes?’

Shen replies “yes, mother. You want me to go beg? Pickpocket? I am only 14 there’s no way people would respect me enough to hire me anywhere ma.”

“Go ask if you can work in the field for the neighbors.” Mother ends the conversation.

Shen can be stubborn sometimes but really doesn’t have a purpose in his life. He only looks after his mother. When Shen was just about to be done helping the neighbors in their garden, he became startled. Hooves galloping, guards armor shingles bouncing, screaming of many mothers, blood. The blood of villagers filled the streets. Shen’s hair was standing on its toes. He sprinted home only to find out that his mother had been stabbed bleeding on the floor. 

“Mother!” Shen cries in disbelief. “No mother, no! why? Why? Why? Why did they do this?”

“I… I love… you, so much, my beautiful boy.” Mother is very tired and on her last breath, “Run.”

He feels a quick hand grab his left shoulder and throws him to the corner of the room, “Get down.”, in an angry but calm manner.

Shen is deeply confused. His mind is blurry. His mind can’t process anything of what is going on. There is a strong burly man fighting off 4 guards at one time with a black samurai mask wielding two katanas, said to be the dishonorable way. Shen drifts off, slowly, slowly and falls to the ground as his body shuts off. 

Shen wakes up in a very large cave as if from a fairy tale. One glowing beam of light coming from the top right of the dome. He seems to be wrapped in bandages on his back with all new cloth.

“You need not ask any questions. I will catch you up with everything that has happened and why.” as an ominous voice speaks from the shadow of the cave. The man tosses a wooden practice sword to my feet. “Now, we train.”

“No No No, you owe me a simple rundown of what has happened before I even do anything. And then I might consider doing whatever this is. And where are we?” Shen Exclaims, he is startled, curious, and terrified at the same time.

The man breathes in and out before saying, “My name is Shinobi, I am your uncle and your father was the king of China. He was killed by our youngest brother Kai. I am not going to give you this grand monologue on what you need to do. You should already know your purpose for why you are here right now. Kai is evil and he will lay waste to China. It is your right to take back the throne and redeem this country of the blood it has caused. On the day your mother was murdered, He gave an executive order to send his men down to all the homes and ” 

Shen and Shiranobi brace themselves for combat training after Shiranobi gives his protege the rundown on things. In their stances. Ready to fight one another for the next ten years, they strike…

-

Fast forward ten years, Shen is grown up. Faster, smarter, stronger, more agile and keen than ever before. He knows his purpose, he knows why, he is fierce and is ready to head back to JiangJing to claim his throne. Shen and Shiranobi have bonded, almost like a father son relationship. Shen looks up to him. 

Shiranobi is exiting his meditation, he breathes in and out, “The new year's grand ceremony for all of China is held at the tallest tower of Jiang Jing. We will go in right as the ceremony starts and sedate the guards.”

“Where will Kai be?” Shen asks politely.

“He will be atop his throne and we will walk through the latch I opened the last time I was there.”

More basic information was shared between the two and it was made clear on what to do when entering jiang jing. They Arrive. Millions of people in the crowd with a long line of peasants heading all the way to the top of the mountain where the king’s chamber was held.Shen and Shiranobi were wearing regular uniforms to adapt within the crowd. Wearing silk sheets and kimonos with a heavy red accent. They have what they need underneath the garments. Hours pass by and they are able to make it to the top of the mountain, and as they disperse from the crowd, they enter into a latch that Shiranobi has spoken of. Everything is in place. Until… The two enter the throne room where no one is watching and it is unusually quiet. Suddenly about fifty guards approached the two of them from the shadows and they were forced to surrender. Lights flicker on with the flame of a torch arrow. The whole room was illuminated. 

“How strange this has been, I merely thought you were dead for 10 years. Who would have thought that my only other nephew would be the one to escape the day of blood.” Kai exclaims as he walks out of the shadows from his throne. “I will show you everything that I have built, destroyed, and have conquered. I will show you, nephew, everything I will do after I kill you. And I will do it in front of everybody in Jiang jing… Go take them away!”

The guards proceed to take the two brave men to their jail. As of now there are only two guards on each of our sides and Shiranobi does not say a word, but winks at me. He swiftly jumps up bashing a guard's neck into the near wall and kicks one in the head and flees. Shen thought as if he abandoned him. Shen found a not in his pocket when held in the cell reading:

I will get you in position and I will guide you, you will know when you see it.

“Let’s go! It's time for your awakening, your majesty!” the guards start chuckling. The guards grab Shen by the neck to push him forward but he acts swiftly. He grabs the guard's hand and breaks it, throwing him into two more guards. The hand guard tries him and Shen disarms him  and pierces him, killing him. He rushes for the throne room, takes out two guards with ease and then he is met with an audience of all the people of China, worshiping Kai. Shen is startled and Kai is prepared. As he enters the room he is caught with a katana pressing against his neck, held by Kai. 

Kai begins his speech to the people,“This is the Rightful Heir to the throne. And he has come to take it from me” the crowd is cheering. “Beginning our new Year I will take his head. From his body and show it to the world-... as if'' Everything stops for about ten seconds. Kai’s Sword is still up against Shen’s neck. Then BOOM!

Fireworks fill the capital as if they were raining arrows simultaneously. It's as if it were raining and causing explosions of gas at the same time. Everyone of the crowd disperses and while Kai is distracted he shoves the blade from his neck and grabs Kai. They are in a tussle with each other and both of them fall off the balcony. A 40ft drop onto hard rock floor and Shen lands on top of Kai. Kai is fatally wounded with no words to speak, except “ do it!”. And shen does. He pierces him through the neck and all is over. The fireworks ended and now Shen is the rightful ruler of China. The next day he is being bandaged up and is met with Shiranobi who lost an arm due to the explosions. They all catch up and Shen asks Shiranobi to be his right hand. 

One more step into turning the tides of peace and prosperity. Shen looks up into the sky and can see a bright future within his own country and now finally knows his purpose. He thanks his mother for everything she taught him and is finally lifted of his own guilt for her. 

The end.