The runaway | Teen Ink

The runaway

By Natalie1115, Croydon , Pennsylvania
Natalie1115, Croydon , Pennsylvania

Author's note:

What inspired me to right this story is the story about Henery Box Brown. I also was inspired by the book CHAINS written by Laurie Halse Anderson.

Dalphne is a house slave, captured when she was only 5 years old. It’s the year 1775,Dalphne lives with  her two masters Mr.and Mrs.Williams. Dalphne is not treated well, she is abused by both her owners and is not well kept. Dalphne does not have a good life, she wants more than anything to be free. Dalphne spends most of her time house cleaning and babysisting the Williams ungrateful children,but other times Dalphne is up in the attic planning her escape.

Dalphne planed to run awash from her enslavement, but didn’t know how. She has spent months trying to run away, but hasn’t found a full proof plan yet. Every plan Dalphne comes up with either ends up in her owners finding her or her death. Dalphne had to think outside the box ,she had to come up with a plan that no one will expect, but how?

After many of months filled with failing ideas Dalphne finally got it. She didn’t neeed to think outside the box she had to think inside the box….literally. Dalphne finally done it,she had come up with a plan that was full proof...she is going to mail herself to freedom.

Dalphne had a friend that was free in the state of Pennsylvania. Her plan was to contact her friend and ask for help. Once she was able to contact her she will ask for a box large enough to a large dog and a lane that says,”dry goods”. When the box was given to her she would climb inside the box and ship herself to where her friend worked . She would have to find out a way to get out of work for today,but how?

The day has come and Dalphne has been thinking of ways she could get out of work. She finally made a decision but had to think long and hard about it for in could ruin her hand. Dalphne will break her hand in order to run away and get off work. Dalphne had to find something quick she ended up finding a vase and took the opertunity to smash it among her hand. Dalphne let out a blood curdling scream, when Mrs.Williams approached her Dalphne came up with the excuse that the vase fell on her hand and she think it is broke.Mrs.Williams was skeptical but sent her to the attic any way where Dalphne lay at night. Now was her time to escape.

Dalphne wasted no time and got to work she had a plan to sneak down the stairs to the back door were her box lay waiting, she just had to get past Mrs.Williams. Dalphne krept Down to the the middle set of stairs and bent down to see if she was in the clear. Mrs. Williams was in the kitchen drinking tea fortunately for Dalphne out of the way. Dalphne quietly moved down to the bottom of the stairs making sure not to make a sound. As she approached the box she noticed that it was getting dark and that all the garden slaves were starting to go to their huts for the night. She climbed into the box and sit the top hoping that it would not come open the morning of her escape. As Dalphne lay there she thought of all the possibilities that could go wrong but she would know in time what her future holds.

Dalphne was woken up by a sudden jolt of movement, she was on the move finally after years of waiting she has finally done it. Dalphne’s  joy was cut short when she heard multiple shootings fired from a rifle. BOOM BOOM BOOM,they got closer and closer,Dalphne looked through a pinhole in the box to see what was going on,but before she could the box was tossed onto the hard ground. At first Dalphne was in total shock but soon came to her surroundings. Dalphne had ended up in the middle of a battlefield,and now out in plain sight. BOOM another shot was fired,Dalphne knew she had to run and get out of there,but instead she climbed back into her box and hoped for the best.

Hours went by before Dalphne was noticed,she was noticed by a soldier about in his twenties. “I think this box fell off the truck passing by going to Pennsylvania”. Take it into the hut we’ll deal with it tomorrow” said a man with a raspy voice. Dalphne was then lifted up and put into a hut where she could still hear the deafening sound of gunfire. This continued all night, men running in and out of the hut with injuries that looked serious and painful. Dalphne remained quiet throughout the whole night for she knew if she made a peep she would be caught instantly. The morning soon came and Dalphne was soon on the move again this time hopefully to her freedom.

Dalphne was on her way to Pennsylvania she started again to think of all the times she dreamed of running away, she reflected on all the times she was abused and hurt by her owners she also thought about her future and what it will hold. As Dalphne lay there she started to feel bad for the slaves that were still in slavery and for the slaves that will never have the great chance she had. After what seemed a whole day Dalphne was finally in the front of her friends work place finally free.

Dalphne heard a faint voice calling out “ I'll get it “, then she heard the same voices call to her in a whisper Dalphne immediately knew it was her friend. She took her up to her room where she opened the box to reveal Dalphne. “You did it, your finally free”.