9/11: Sara's Story

Author's note: I was inspired to write this piece by my 8th grade writing teacher. She has told me stories...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

I was inspired to write this piece by my 8th grade writing teacher. She has told me stories about her husband and how he was in Downtown Manhattan when 9/11 happened. It inspired my to write from another point of view of a woman. 

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Cup of Joe

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! My eyes squinted as the sun beamed into my eyes through my bedroom window. I hit snooze on the alarm and rolled out of the bed. I slid on my house shoes. I trudged into the kitchen, wishing for the sweet, hot taste of my morning coffee. I popped a bagel in the toaster and topped it with some cream cheese. I sat on the couch with my remote and turned on the TV. As I enjoyed my breakfast and my TV program, I gazed out the window, watching the cabs swish through the streets with

I know it's not that long but I wanted kids in younger grades to be able to read this and not get caught up in the story. 

a honk here, a car door slam there. All the commotion of the city sat upon me as my happy place. The lights...the noise...everything seemed to be perfect. I put on my work outfit and ran out the door.
I usually walk to work, but today I decided to take a cab. The cold air was like a big slap in the face and I tried quickly flag the yellow vehicle down. The cab radio was, like always, annoying 80’s rap music. I got out of my first cab and ran out to a new apartment complex where my best friend, Wendy, lives. She was sitting on her couch, watching TV as I was doing earlier that morning. As soon as I walked in the room I smelled something strange. “What is that smell?” I asked. “Oh nothing.” She replied. Wendy is always up to something. Whether it be going to clubs, getting a new man every week, or just being someone that she’s not. Wendy has always been my best friend as long as I have lived in New York but I find myself worrying about her a lot of the time. She is kind of a wild child at times which is a little upsetting, but I always remember to look around it. I’m more of a stay-at-home-and-watch-netflix kind of girl. We said our goodbyes and then I departed Wendy’s apartment. Her apartment is pretty close to my job so i just decided to walk.

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »