What's so wrong about being equal?

Author's note: The thing that inspired me to write this was actually being discrimanted myself but I knew I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

The thing that inspired me to write this was actually being discrimanted myself but I knew I had to just go foward because I knew that basically there acts couldnt stop me from being me and I am proud about my background I wouldn't change a thing about because it makes me who I am today. 

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Do I really got this?

I took a deep breath… “ Mom have you ever been treated differently recently?”  “ What  do you mean sweetie?” my mom said. “Well like yea… have you been discriminated lately like because we are arabic and all that?” I  replied. “ Amal is this what is happening because there is nothing wrong being arabic, you should be proud of who are because you are bilingual and different.” my mom said “I know mom but at times I wish I wasn’t different, i’m scared to go out in public I don’t know what people can say about us and I do care of what people think about me mom. I’m scared mom anything can happen to us…” As I was talking I felt like if there was a knot in my throat, all of the sudden I started crying because of how much fear I had and out of so much anger. My mom then came up to me and hugged me and she said, “Amal stay strong honey, I know how you feel about it ok but we have to stay strong because we belong here no one can tell us to leave and if they do then we have to show them that we aren’t scared, now go clean up and rest ok Amal everything will be ok I promise.” She then gave me a kiss on the cheek. “Thank You mom.” I said while leaving the kitchen
I went into my bedroom and layed on bed just staring at the ceiling and the phrase “ Speak english this is america”  kept playing in my head over and over as if a record player was stuck on one part.  All of sudden I started getting sleepy and decided to change into my pajamas and brush my teeth, as soon as I started getting under the covers of my bed a sound came from my laptop. I got up to check what it was and it said “ Youve been tagged in a post.” I clicked on it to see what the post was and I saw that it was a joke about me being muslim, I then scrolled down to see comments and they were awful and mean. I then started seeing comments that said, “ Check out more on Hailey’s FaceBook page guys!” I then saw that there was jokes about every kid who was from a different place around the world.  Tears started running down my face I couldn’t believe what are world has came too, I looked again about the post about me and comments kept coming in faster than a race car on the track. The comments said  “ Her family probably caused 9/11, I’m scared to sit next to her in class now she can blow me up at any moment, My family knows her mom and her mom threatened to kill us if we didn’t give her jewelry”  I then scrolled more down and saw one that hurt me the most which said, “ She should go kill herself instead of killing us if you agree like this comment.” and the likes went up every second. I tried reporting the post but it wouldn’t let me I tried many times but then gave up because half of the world has seen it already so what was the point. I turned off my computer and sat down in my bed crying.