Waves in the River

Author's note:

I really hope that people will understand child struggles in the Great Depression

Author's note:

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

New York City, New York: November 24, 1932

Never in my life would I have thought that I would be a coal miner and Margaret would be a seamstress. Margaret is the worst sewer I have seen in a long time. A couple days ago, we both got jobs. Payday is tomorrow and I really hope that we have enough to go home. I really do not think that it will be enough but I always keep my hopes up.
The days in the coal mine are long and dangerous. The air is thick and you could get killed at any time of the day. Margaret also says that the textile factories are horrible too. They are very hard on her even though she is only 13 years old. They are very hard on me because you have to be under 13 to be treated like a child, and even that is not that much better than being an adult. The only reason we do our hard jobs is so we can get the money for Mother and Father.
“Edward! Maggie! Come down for supper!” Abigail calls every night.
Abigail came up with the “modern” name Maggie for Margaret because she said that Margaret was too lady - like for a 13 year old girl.
“Do you think that Abigail wants us to be the perfect children she always wanted?” I asked Margaret late that night. “She is changing your name and she is acting very strange around us.”
“I have felt the same way, Edward. I do not know whether to tell her that we feel uncomfortable.” she answered.
“I think we should but I am worried about the consequences. I have never talked back to any adult other than Mother or sometimes Father. And I think that they believe that it is normal.” I am worried about what could happen if we tell Paul and Abigail our feelings.
“I think it is better me than you because I believe that Abigail prefers me over you because I am a girl.” Margaret confesses.
“I think the same thing, Maggie.” I tease her.
We laughed ourselves to sleep that night of Thanksgiving.