Waves in the River

Author's note:

I really hope that people will understand child struggles in the Great Depression

Author's note:

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

New York City, New York: November 19, 1932

7:30 am
“Margaret, can I have some more water please?” I ask my sister, who has remarkable patience with me.
“Yes. Here you go.” she hands me the cup of water we bought at the last stop. “Look! New York!”
Everyone on the bus looks out the window at the buildings coming into view as our bus creeps closer and closer. The sun rises in the distance against the buildings in the eastern sky. The whole sky turns pink and red and orange. Margaret leans against me, the water cup still in her hand.
I turn to her and whisper, “I am glad you came with me on this journey.”
She looks back, “I am glad I could come.”
The bus pulls into the station just as she finishes her sentence.
“Everyone off! This is New York City! The Big Apple of the country! Enjoy!” the bus driver calls, snapping us out of our trance.
We scurry off the bus and set out on our journey to find a home and a job.

10:15 am
After more than 2 hours of searching for a family that could take us in for a couple months, we found a couple, not more than 20 years old, that was willing to have us stay with them. Their names were Paul and Abigail and they were wanting children but did not have the money yet. Since we were going to get a job and support ourselves, they were willing to take us in. Also, it was not permanent which they liked too.
When Margaret and I walked into the house, we both sighed. It was a very large house, with a very large open entryway, which we both knew was very uncommon in New York. The room reeked of perfume and there were fresh flowers on every table the eye could see. The kitchen was also visible from the entryway, where we saw many men around a table, including Paul, smoking cigars.
“Does it meet your standards?” Abigail asked and put her arm around us.
“Well…” Margaret started.
“It is really very beautiful! Just like our house back in Ohio,” I cut Margaret off and nudged her with my elbow.
“We appreciate your approval. We hope you enjoy your time here. Your room will be,” she paused, “upstairs. First room on the right.”
“Thank you ma’am. We thank you in advance for your kindness.” I thank Abigail and push Margaret up the stairs.
“Did anything about Abigail seem odd to you?” I ask Margaret when we get safely in our room, with the door closed.
“No. She seemed very nice.” Margaret answers confidently. “I have always wanted a woman in my life that was not Mother.”
“You do not go telling her all of our deepest darkest secrets. I do not have a very good feeling about this place. Paul seems okay, I guess. I just do not really think this will last very long. Should we go out to look for work?” I tell Margaret my feelings.
“Yes. The sooner we get a job, the sooner we can go back to Mother, Father and Joseph.” Margaret has clearly kept my feelings inside her too.