Waves in the River

Author's note:

I really hope that people will understand child struggles in the Great Depression

Author's note:

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: November 18, 1932

10:35 am
“Everyone off! This is the last stop on this bus! Next bus to New York leaves in … 2 hours!” the bus driver calls from the front of the bus, waking everyone but my sister up.
“Margaret! Let’s go look at the rivers!” I shake her awake, “We have to get off the bus anyway, so why not go explore!”
“But Edward, I do not want to get hurt. I feel like it’s not a good idea,” she tries to persuade me that it is a bad idea but I do not like to be told what to do.
“We will be fine!” I assure her.
“I guess I have to follow what you say,” Margaret says under her breath.

11:00 am
We head off toward the three rivers that meet in Pittsburgh — the Ohio River, the Allegheny River and the Monongahela River. They were beautiful! The midday light hitting them ever so nicely! I went up a little closer, just to see how deep the Monongahela was. I had never seen such clear waters!
“Edward, I do not think you should be up that close. I do not want to have to rescue you from the rushing rivers,” Margaret cautions me but I do not listen. I should have listened. My fearlessness took over my whole body. And water took over my whole body.
I gasp for air and reach for Margaret’s hand that appeared in my line of sight. I struggle to grasp it, as my hands are slippery.
“Edward! Hold on! Please … not … leave…” I do not hear anymore. My world goes black right after Margaret grabs my wrist.

12:45 pm
“I watched the whole thing. I told him not to go in the water. I told him it was too dangerous. He did not listen. I knew he would not listen. He is too independent.” I open my eyes to hear Margaret telling a woman those words.
“I let her down. I can not be a big brother anymore. We have to go home.”
Those words repeated through my head as I closed my eyes again.
“Margaret, we need to keep going for Mother and Father.” something that sounds kind of like my voice says. I have absolutely no clue where those words came from. But then everyone is looking at me!
“You can not keep going a couple more hours,” the woman says, “You have a concussion and some small but deep gashes on your knees.”
“I can handle a couple hours of waiting. I can not disappoint Mother and Father.” I state, very strongly.
“If you can wait, then I will buy tickets for the 5:00 pm bus to New York. We can go on that bus and be in New York by tomorrow morning.” Margaret heads off to the ticket stand a little bit away. I go back to sleep, eager to heal for my family.