Waves in the River

Author's note:

I really hope that people will understand child struggles in the Great Depression

Author's note:

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Cincinnati, Ohio: November 17, 1932

“Edward, where are you going?’ Joseph inquires me, unaware about the life changing event that was happening today.
“I am going to go away for a little while Joseph. I will be back soon. I promise you. You keep running to practice our games of tag.” I have tears in my eyes but I brush them away quickly. I do not want my family to think they made the wrong choice. I grab Margaret by the hand and pull her on the bus that pulled up just seconds earlier. I give her a quick debrief of what I am expecting of her.
“Margaret, we are in this together. No one goes anywhere without the other. I am losing Joseph and I am not losing you too. Please do not talk to anyone unless I am there with you. I do not want to lose you like we are losing Mother, Father and Joseph. Now, lets wave goodbye.” I look out the window like a little kid and wave my hand vigorously to show that I will miss my family dearly. And with that, Margaret and I are on our way from our little town of Cincinnati, Ohio to the Big Apple of New York City.