The Land of the Free | Teen Ink

The Land of the Free

By rainbowkitty842, San Antonio, Texas
rainbowkitty842, San Antonio, Texas

always stay true to yourself even in the hard times

Chapter 1. New Beginnings
1765, the time the 13 colonies decided that they were no longer going to be under the rule of the British monarchy. British officers patrolled the towns, barged into any house and making themselves at home, and did as they pleased. Yet far away in a dense forest I walked in search for a home and a loving family.I am still unsure of what happened to my real parents , but there was no point in dwelling on the past. I had been searching for months looking for a home, food, and avoiding British officers. I knew I had to find some place to stay soon before I was caught off guard and as young as I am it wouldn’t be easy running from them. I could hear angry shouting from afar I was getting closer to the town but which one? I kept walking towards the commotion until I had reached the end of the forest. I hid in the bushes trying to see what was going on, the towns folk were yelling at British officers. I couldn’t make out what they were saying but I was sure I didn’t want to get any closer.
As I turned around knowing that wouldn’t be the town to search for a family I bumped into something and fell back on the ground. I looked up to see what bumped into … it was a British officer. He had light golden hair, emerald green eyes, and a very confused face   “Oh I’m sorry are you ok?” He said with a soft voice. I sat there in fear my eyes started to swell up with tears I knew I would be taken away or be killed. “I don’t want to die! I don’t want to go!” I screamed with tears falling down my face. As I looked up at him with my face turning red, tears stream down my face, and snot dripping from my nose. “Hey calm down. I won’t hurt you. Please calm down.” He said as he put his weapon down and sat down next to me. He pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped my face. “Hey I can do it myself!” I said as I snatched the handkerchief away from him. He looked at me and smile. “Hey what’s your name? Mine is Arthur.” He asked still staring at me with a calm smile. “Alfred … Alfred Jones” I said my face still red. “Might I ask why you’re out here all alone?” Arthur asked. I was still listening to the commotion it seemed to be dying down. “I don’t have a home or a family, but I don’t want to go into those scary towns and be forced to live there!” I yelled staring at him with fear that he might take me into that town. “Then stay with me ill protects you. In fact you could be my little brother! What do you say to that, Alfred?” Arthur said with confidence and with a very cheery smile. “I… are you sure it’s ok?!” I asked unsure what would happen next or where I’ll go. “Yes you’ll be safe with me.” Arthur said as he lifted me up and carried me towards the other direction away from the town. “Hey where are you taking me the town is that way?!” I whispered until I saw that other soldiers were heading toward us wearing the same uniform as Arthur. Arthur set me down in a patch of nearby bushes and told me to wait there. I sat there waiting in fear hoping they wouldn’t find me or hurt Arthur. I peered from the bushes to see what was going on to see that there were at least three to five more soldiers talking to Arthur. “We don’t know what to do! They refuse to listen and are starting to rebel against us.” The brown haired soldier yelled in a shaky voice. “We need to head back and report this and gather enforcements!” yelled another. I leaped out of the bushes in panic as soon as I heard that they were planning on leaving. “No Arthur you can’t leave you promised me you wouldn’t!” Please don’t go!” I yelled as once again tears began to run down my face. “What the-Alfred what are you doing?!” he whispered.  “Hey Arthur who’s the kid?” the soldiers asked while they stared at me. I held onto Arthur’s leg fearing that one of them would try and grab me. “He’s an orphan I plan to raise myself,” he said as he rapped his arm around me to ensure I stayed by his side, “and I won’t be leaving for a while.” He said.
After the soldiers left Arthur picked me up and carried me towards the town. My heart started racing. Was he going to send me there? Was he mad at me for not listening? But before we got close he started to head east. I breathed a sigh of relief and started to calm down again. “It’s ok I’m not going to break my promise.” Arthur said reassuring me. He kept on walking for a while till he finally stopped in front of a horse tied to a lead. He lifted me up and set me down on the horse. I watched as Arthur untied the lead and lifted himself on the horse. “Ok let’s get going!” He yelled as we set out towards the unknown. As the sun started to set I grew tired by the minute. I guess Arthur realized that because we stopped, but I couldn’t keep my eyes open. “Alfred? Hey are you tired?” he asked. After that everything went black.