Behind the Barbed Wire~ The thoughts and feelings of a WW1 soldier

Author's note:

My inspirations are listed in the long summary.  I prefered to consolidate my three answers.

Author's note:

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4

Contently IV

I have no time for a trivial introduction, I need to cut to the chase.  I apologize if my wit isn’t top notch, for I was shot 5 days ago, in the “gut” twice, or so I am told.  I had never realized how short life is, until the day so many of my fellow soldiers were picked off mercilessly, their life, ripped out of their hands, and into the Germans’ hands…. and I could do nothing.  I know in my heart that they did not die in vain, because I will make

As my novel comes to a close, I wish to recieve ratings and feedback from my lovely readers.  Thank you for reading.  Keep thinking, dreaming, and advocating for peace.

sure that the world learns how wrong and dastardly the whole process of war is.  The leaders must learn from our sacrifices, that there is no benefit to humanity, when it comes to war.   Hopefully my wounds will heal quickly enough to see that utopia, when it comes.  It’s hard to hold onto life when I see nurses scurrying up to the doctors near my cot whispering,”fatal? What more can we do?  So much blood.”  I know they are trying to help, but the pain is enough already.  I have had enough.  I just want to be free of this mess, this sorry excuse for a makeshift hospital.  I wish to lay in a calm field, alone, and free of pain.  I wish to die alone.  Having people around me only makes the concept more painful.  Because seeing those concerned people makes you realize, “In order to die, I would have to leave these wonderful people, who want me to stay, more than anything.”  And that’s my will to live right now.  It’s weak, but with a will there’s a way.  And so my unremitting optimism returns, annoyingly, but it’s a bit of a relief, because being unremittingly optimistic is one of my most redeeming traits.  Or so, I think.  If I do die away, send this journal to my family and friends; I love you all very much, do not grieve, I wish there to be celebrations of my life, rather than mourning my death.  It may be difficult, but please, take care of yourselves and do not worry about me, any pain I am going through now, is minimal compared to the other soldiers, some were paralyzed.  Finally, my dearest Genevieve, I love you with every existing fiber of my being, and never stop smiling; for the world seems to glow whenever you do.  Never stop laughing or loving, because the Earth is fortunate enough to witness your grace, compassion, and wit.  I hope there will be many more journal entries to come, I wish to live on, and spread peace throughout the world.  However, if I have any chance of surviving, I need to rest.  Thank you journal.  You have been my faithful companion through all the hardships, and consoled my mental health during the worst of times.  I am eternally grateful for that.

Contently, Victor Charles Van Brooks

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

Halloimjane said...
Feb. 25, 2016 at 9:32 am
hmm. gloomy, but cool gloominess

Mayday paradefanatic said...
Feb. 25, 2016 at 9:30 am
Interesting

Bookdiva said...
Feb. 7, 2016 at 10:14 am
This is an incredible book. Reading this, I feel as if I have time-traveled to this place & time. Keep writing!!!