My New Friend

Author's note: I wrote this piece that first started off as just another school assignment but turned out to be...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this piece that first started off as just another school assignment but turned out to be more. I hope for readers to find their own meanings behind the text while also trying to understand what I am trying to say.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

Facing Demons

“I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.”-
Woody Allen

We arrived at my home shortly thereafter. I opened the rotting door and stepped inside. The house had not changed. The place was still a mess of both objects and lost childhoods. Luc followed behind me as I looked around. I heard no one. On the kitchen counter were about five empty beer bottles. I picked one up. It felt cold as if it was just taken out of the fridge. Then I heard a familiar thunderous march sound coming down the stairs. There to my horror I saw the beast that was my father. He looked worse than ever, never bothering to shave or cut his hair. He had another beer bottle in his left hand. His roar was the one from my childhood “There you are! Where the hell have you been?”
I stood there frozen with fear. I began to answer but he cut me off, “Well? Huh? No one was here to take care of the house! This place looks like s***!”
I started to back up. I’d had come face to face with death many times during the war, and I had never been as fearful as I was at that moment.
“When you just got up and left, so did your mother! There is nothing here now! You went over to fight in a war and didn’t give a damn about me?” He flung his beer bottle in my direction. I ducked as quickly as I could. The bottle passed through the air just above my head and hit the wall with a loud crash. I lifted my head and put my hands up.
“Dad, just calm down. Don’t do this in front of my friend,” I said as I pointed in Luc’s direction.
My father looked confused and in a daze, “Who? Do you take me for some fool?” He started walking towards me. His voice was getting louder with every syllable he spoke.
“No fath..,” I started to reply.
“Just because I don’t have an education does not mean I am stupid?” He was getting closer to me as I backed into the counter.
“Stop,” I said, but he didn’t seem to hear me.
“I don’t want you to try to fool me again!”
“Luc,” I cried. My father just clenched my left arm. I could feel his incredible muscle clamping down on me.
“What did I say about talking to yourself?” He swung his right arm, landing a punch right through the side of my face. I hit the ground starting to feel myself black out when I saw Luc lunge towards my father and then I was out.