Trail of Blood and Tears

Author's note: I was inspired to write this because of a project we had to do in history, a project of our...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired to write this because of a project we had to do in history, a project of our choice. I decided to write this story and show my class that the Oregon Trail wasn't just a plain old trail, but a trail of hardship and sorrow. Also I thought I'd let people see how adding excitement to a historical fiction book can make it way more interesting.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Part Three: The One Who Spills Blood

I awoke to the sun beating down on my face, and a pleasant breeze brushing against my skin. Trees were all around me, and there was a bunch of fluffy clouds in the sky. The cart was still moving and Gideon was still sitting atop our sandy-colored horse. I rubbed my eyes and slowly sat up, I wonder how long I was asleep. 
“Morning sleepyhead! Ready for our first day out on the open road?” Gideon asked me with a huge smile on his face. Good – I thought – he’s back to his normal self. 
“Where are we?” I asked as I looked at my surroundings. Gideon chuckled at my question, as he steered the cart to the side of the path. He jumped off the horse and started stretching.
“Right now were on our way to the West. If you want our exact location then, sorry to say but I don’t have a clue as to where we are at the moment.” Gideon walked around to the back of the cart and held his hand out to me. “Come on, you should probably stretch before we continue.” I grabbed his hand and jumped down from the cart. My feet were bare making it so I could feel the grass. It was soft and cool, still coated with dew from earlier this morning. Seeing all the dew on the grass made me realize how thirsty I was.
“Hey Gideon, can I have something to drink? My throats parched.” I asked him as I started walking through the grass. “Gideon?” I noticed Gideon wandering around the trees, like he was looking for something. He bent over and plucked something from the tree trunk.
“Here.” He extended his hand, and on his palm was a small green twig. I stared at him with a questioning glance. What was I supposed to do with that, dig a hole and search for water? Gideon just chuckled at me before speaking once more, “You chew on it. There’s water inside it, and this way the water we have won’t go away as fast.” I snatched the green twig from his hand and shoved part of it in my mouth. Slowly I bit down onto it, unsure of what it would taste like. My teeth broke through the green casing and water oozed out. 
“Good?” Gideon asked as he stepped toward me. I nodded my head enthusiastically while savoring the delicious water. He smiled and patted my head, “That’s my girl.” He turned around and headed to the cart. I smiled silently to myself and started walking around. My foot hit something hard that was laying in the grass. I looked down at my feet and froze with terror. It was a yellow color, somewhat circular, and stared at me with lifeless eyes. My whole body tensed up, and my eyes grew wide. I frantically looked around me, and soon wished I hadn’t. Bones were everywhere, and some of them were dyed the color red. Someone reached from behind me and covered my eyes.
A voice whispered into my ear, “Don’t look.” I felt the hands lifting so I quickly squeezed my eyes shut. Two hands gently came to rest on my shoulders before I was turned around. The person let go of me, and when he did I fell backwards. I braced myself for impact, but never touched the ground. Two arms gently held me up and carried me. I could hear his footsteps as he started walking, and the steady beat of his heart. Sun rays hit my skin and warmed me to the bone. The wind picked up around us and my hat blew away, including my special pin. 
I quickly opened my eyes just in time to see my hat float up into the sky. “No hat! Come back!” I cried out into the sky. My eyes started leaking and my body shook. The man set me back onto the ground and extended his hand to me. On his palm was my special crescent pin, the one Julius gave to me.
“I believe this is yours, dear Julian.” I looked up to see who it was, just in time for him to talk once more. “Seems like you have a knack for crying every time we meet.” Julius smiled at me, and brushed my hair back of my face. He took his thumb and wiped away the tears forming in the corner of my right eye. I just stared at him, unsure of what to do or say. Julius walked past me and headed for the forest. “Tell Gideon something for me,” he turned and his eyes turned cold. “The one who spills blood, gets their own spilled in the end.” With that Julius ran into the forest. I wanted to go after him, there was so many questions he still had to answer, but I couldn’t move. I heard footsteps behind me, then another voice.
“There you are Julian! Come on, we got two-thousand some miles to go before we get to our new home!” Gideon shouted as he burst through the clearing. I didn’t turn around to see him, I wasn’t ready to talk. “Julian, what’s wrong?” He ran over to me and placed one of his hands on my head. I mumbled the phrase under my breath, in hopes I wouldn’t have to say it too loud. 
“I am sorry, what did you say?” He asked me, as he leaned in to hear me better. I swallowed and gathered up the courage to speak.
“The one who spills blood...” – I paused and took in a deep breath. “Get’s their own spilled in the end.”

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

jennielikeduh said...
Omg this book is absolutely amazing. I was literally reading it with tears in my eyes. Great wording:) you so have the talent to become a famous author

FawnTLost replied...
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

FawnTLost said...
I would like to apologize for the misuse of some words such as your, and you're. I wanted to upload this and leave it as it was typed a while ago (such as a couple years). Again my apologies.