Trail of Blood and Tears

Author's note: I was inspired to write this because of a project we had to do in history, a project of our...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired to write this because of a project we had to do in history, a project of our choice. I decided to write this story and show my class that the Oregon Trail wasn't just a plain old trail, but a trail of hardship and sorrow. Also I thought I'd let people see how adding excitement to a historical fiction book can make it way more interesting.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Part Two: Pieces To A Puzzle

The man’s voice was chilling, and the words took me by surprise. I found you, what does that mean. Have I met this person before? I shut my eyes tight in fear, what is gonna happen to me...His grip tightened on my shoulder and his chin lifted. I wanted to turn around to see who it was, but I just couldn’t work up the courage. Was this Julius, the one who was supposed to help me. If so how could he possibly know me, when I don’t know him. 
“Julian, I’ve missed you.” The man turned me around and pulled me into an embrace. “I have searched for you this whole time, ever since that man took you away that terrible day one year ago.” My eyes snapped open. That terrible day...one year ago...why does it sound so familiar. What does he mean by since that man took me away...He let go of me and looked me in the eyes. A frown appeared on his face and his eyes softened.
“Why do you look so terrified, it’s me your older brother, Julius.” My whole body stiffened at the words older-brother. Why wouldn’t I remember something as important as this? I took a step backward in a panic and ended up losing my balance. My body plunged backwards and landed on the ground with a thud. Tears escaped my eyes, was it because of pain or fear. Either way it didn’t matter, after all whose to say my whole life so far wasn’t just a lie.
Julius bent down and reached into his pant pocket and pulled out a crescent moon pin. Taking my hand, he placed the pin on it and gingerly closed my fingers around it.
“There’s a story father once made up for us. It was your favorite.” He took his thumb and wiped away the tears forming in the corner of my eye. “It wasn’t the story you liked the most, it was the moon. Father only mentioned it once, and that was all it took.” Julius grabbed my hand and pulled me onto my feet. My tears stopped and the fear that once was present - disappeared.
I stared at the pin in my hand, it shimmered in the sunlight. A smile spread across my face as the memory of the story flooded back. Finally a part of my memory was coming back!
“Thank you!” My smile was so big that you could see the whites of my teeth. It was actually the first time I smiled like this so far this year. Julius smiled back at me, he seemed relieved. His smile soon disappeared though, and then he turned around.
“Looks like this is goodbye, someone close by is giving me a death stare.” His voice got quieter and slowly he started walking back towards the shop. “I’m glad your okay though, and I’m glad I was able to see you again.” He paused for a second before continuing, “Don’t tell him where you got that pin, kay!” Julius turned his head slightly and grinned at me before disappearing inside.
I turned around to see Gideon standing by my wheelbarrow, checking its contents. Slowly I walked towards him, somewhat afraid of what words would be said next and what words would stay unsaid. He frowned at me and shook his head.
“Come on we got some packing to do...” Gideon’s voice was mono-tone but there was a hint of sadness. He grabbed the handles of the wheelbarrow and started pushing it down the path. “Looks like I’ve got some explaining to do, huh.” I ran over to him and nodded my head in agreement.
“Are we going somewhere?” I asked. Gideon seemed surprised by my question, as though he thought a different question was going to be asked. He stopped walking and looked me in the eyes and nodded. I wonder why he’s acting weird, it’s not like I did anything wrong - right...

*     *     *

The moon hung high in the sky above the little town, it was a beautiful luminescent light. A smile spread across my face as I touched the crescent pin attached to my hat. Thankfully Gideon hasn’t asked me about it yet, I really didn’t want to lie to him right now. I leaned against one of the bags sitting in the cart and tried to relax. The blanket underneath me was old and worn, but I was still perfectly comfortable. It was finally time to say goodbye to this town and hit the road. I have to admit I was really gonna miss this place, so many memories were made here, and I met so many nice people. I sighed as I turned my head to look at Gideon. 
He was riding on the back of a sandy-colored horse, which was pulling the cart. I know he wasn’t in the best of moods, especially after what happened earlier today. We went to go and buy an ox to pull the cart, after-all they are cheaper and will eat about anything. Only problem is that the people at the farm didn’t want sell any of their oxen, or any of their mules. Said that they were gonna need them for their own trip. Gideon got pretty frustrated with them, but since he really wanted to get out of here he took a horse.
On a side note I wonder if Gideon is okay, he has been acting weird ever since he saw Julius and I talking. I gazed up at the starlit sky and sighed, why did we have to leave - I was starting to like this place. Its not like there was a reason to move, we weren’t having any money trouble, nor were we in any sort of trouble. Does it have anything to do with Julius, if so what could have happened between him and Gideon that made us have to move.
“Hey Gideon, why are we moving? Its not like we have any reason to move, I thought we were both happy here.” Shifting my gaze over to Gideon I realized he was looking at me...with really sad eyes.
“Julian, sometimes things are better left unsaid, and forgotten.” He stopped looking at me and focused back on the road. Our cart made little noise but swayed as it moved, like a cradle. It was as though it was attempting to lull me to sleep but I didn’t want to fall asleep yet, I still had so many questions to ask. With all the strength I could muster I spoke once again.
“Gideon...why can’t...I remember anything...from my past...” I saw him turn his gaze to look at me, but before he answered my question both of my eyes closed. My mind relaxed and soon I was pulled into an ever deep slumber. 

jennielikeduh said...
Omg this book is absolutely amazing. I was literally reading it with tears in my eyes. Great wording:) you so have the talent to become a famous author

FawnTLost replied...
Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:48 pm :
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

FawnTLost said...
I would like to apologize for the misuse of some words such as your, and you're. I wanted to upload this and leave it as it was typed a while ago (such as a couple years). Again my apologies.