Trail of Blood and Tears

Author's note: I was inspired to write this because of a project we had to do in history, a project of our...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired to write this because of a project we had to do in history, a project of our choice. I decided to write this story and show my class that the Oregon Trail wasn't just a plain old trail, but a trail of hardship and sorrow. Also I thought I'd let people see how adding excitement to a historical fiction book can make it way more interesting.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Part One: The Beginning Of The End

The old rusty wheel barrow creaked as I pushed it along the dirt path. The sun was high in the sky and no clouds could be seen. Trees along the path swayed in the breeze and birds flew around in the sky. It was such a lovely day, too bad I had a bunch of errands to do. I continued along the path till I came to a clearing. Townsfolk and travelers wandered the streets of the little town, everyone was bustling about, buying this and that, talking and gossiping to the same people as the day before. It was as though the whole town was stuck in a rut, well besides Gideon and I. Both of us always did different things everyday, but lately he has been sending me the the store to pick up the necessities. I wonder what he does when I am gone though, he seems preoccupied all the time lately.
“Good morning Julian! Out running errands again today for Gideon?” The question brought me back from my deep thought. I looked up to see the smiling face of Margret John. I call her Granny though, after all she does act like my grandmother and she’s about eighty. She runs the bakery just past the old mines, I always go there whenever I am bored and whenever Gideon isn’t around.
“Morning Granny!” I replied with a smile. “Yup, this time he wants a bunch of stuff. I don’t know what were gonna do with it all, but he insists that we need it now.” I made the appropriate hand gestures to show I didn’t think we needed this stuff and ended up making her laugh. 
“Well tell Gideon if he wants a lot of stuff he should come and help you carry it. Your still a child after all.” I smiled at her again and gave her an approving nod. “Bye dear, take care!” Granny said before she headed off down the path to her bakery. I waved goodbye and continued on towards the shop. The pathway was covered with dirt, sand and twigs from the trees, making it somewhat difficult to push the wheelbarrow. 
The wheelbarrow creaked and swayed as it ran over rocks and twigs. Thankfully there was nothing inside it yet, otherwise stuff might have fallen out. I approached the carefully crafted building at the end of the path, and placed the wheelbarrow just to the right of the steps. The stairs creaked as I climbed up them, and wind chimes hanging from the roof clanked against one another. I smiled to myself as I pushed open the door to the store. The door slammed behind me after I was inside, making sure that anyone working there knew I was there. 
As I entered the strong smell of flowers attacked my nose. It smelled wonderful but I couldn’t just stand here and smell the flowers, Gideon will throw a fuss if I didn’t get home soon. The shop owner came out of the back room and approached me.
“Welcome kid! What can I get for you today?” He smirked at me as I handed him the giant list Gideon gave me. “I don’t think this is all gonna fit in that wheelbarrow of yours.” He teased. I just nodded my head and stood there patiently, after all I couldn’t joke around with this guy. He would take everything too seriously and then go and badmouth Gideon.
“Let’s see here,” the shop keeper mumbled to himself. “Gideon wants 4 flannel-button down over shirts, 4 woolen undershirts, 4 pairs of thick cotton drawers, 8 pairs of woolen socks, 4 pairs of cotton socks, 2 handkerchiefs, 4 pairs of boots, 6 towels, 2 broad-brimmed hats, 1 pound of Castile soap, 3 pounds of bar soap for clothes, 2 belt knifes, a small whetstone, stout linen thread, large needles, beeswax, bag of buttons, paper of pins, a thimble, two buckskin or stout cloth bags, 2 coats, and 2 overcoats.” He looked up from the list with a weird expression on his face, “You two going somewhere? Or his he just keeping you busy?” I shrugged my shoulders at his comment, while making a mental note to ask Gideon what is going on. He leaned in and spoke once more, “You know he isn’t getting anything for you to wear lass.” Once again I shrugged my shoulders, though I was a bit disappointed. He isn’t gonna leave me alone – right? 
The shopkeeper got all the supplies and helped me pack them into my wheelbarrow, making sure that nothing would fallout. I walked back down the steps and started to push the wheelbarrow down the path. It was extremely heavy and I could barely push it. I noticed the shop keeper looking at me with a smirk on his face.
“I could call for Julius to come and help you. He may be a guest but that doesn’t mean he can’t help.” I just stared straight in front of me, Julius, where had I heard that name before. It sounded so familiar, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. My train of thought was broken when I heard a voice.
“Here let me call for him!” I turned around so I was facing the owner, but I must have had a weird expression on my face because he started talking again. “Don’t worry it won’t cost you a thing lass!” He then turned around and shouted through the open door, “Hey Julius get down here! A customer needs some help!” The shop keeper turned to me and spoke, “Don’t worry he’s a good kid, anyway I gotta head back inside my wife probably needs some help with dinner.” He waved goodbye and then disappeared into the house.
I turned around and just stood there with a blank expression on my face. How come I can’t remember why that name is so familiar! Suddenly I heard footsteps coming from behind me. My body froze, I couldn’t move. I should have been terrified, but somehow I was already used to this sensation. A hand came to rest on my shoulder, it was cold yet soft and sent shivers down my spine. I could feel and smell his breath as he rested his chin on my other shoulder. Then he spoke three simple words, three words spoken slowly and precise.
“I found you...”

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

jennielikeduh said...
Omg this book is absolutely amazing. I was literally reading it with tears in my eyes. Great wording:) you so have the talent to become a famous author

FawnTLost replied...
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

FawnTLost said...
I would like to apologize for the misuse of some words such as your, and you're. I wanted to upload this and leave it as it was typed a while ago (such as a couple years). Again my apologies.