Titanic: Diary of a Girl

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

I woke up cheerful, but was reminded by my subconscious that we were unwanted. Nobody liked us. I played with Thomas for a while, but it got boring.
Mother called us to eat breakfast, then, she read a verse from the Bible to us.
I decided to stop being sad, and to enjoy the rest of the trip. We would end up as rich as first class, just as Father had promised. And Father always kept his promises. The thought of owning pretty dresses made me smile.
Then, I raced to a lunch of fresh bread and butter, currant buns, and tea. We scarfed it down, then raced back. He went off to see the stokers, and I went to the main hall. There were tons of children playing there….maybe one would want to play with me?
Doubtful. But worth a shot.
There was a girl wandering around, she looked my age, and seemed nice. I wanted to go over to her…except…I didn’t know how to make friends. I never had one before. My friends were my family. I was trembling. I decided to introduce myself first. I boldly stepped up to her, trying to hide my nervousness and fear.
“Hi, I’m Elizabeth. I’m 10 years old.”
“Hello, my name’s Catharina. I’m 10 too!”
We talked and played for the rest of the day. I took her to our cabin, and Mother was overjoyed, to say the least, that I had a new playmate.
During dinner, I realized how dirty I was when a pretty lady walked past me. She was as white as snow. I looked at my skin. I noticed smudges there that I’d never noticed before.
I’d never thought of myself as dirty, but I saw dirt everywhere. I looked at my family. They had dirt everywhere too! How could I have never seen that before?
As soon as I finished dinner, I took a long bath. I was surprised at how much dirt there was.
When I stepped out, I wasn’t white, but I was clean.
I had sweet dreams again.