The Best Thing

Author's note: I like music and I like writing. I was listening to Before You Exit and I just got the idea to start writing this
Author's note: I like music and I like writing. I was listening to Before You Exit and I just got the idea to start writing this  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Next »

Forever and Always

Rachel’s POV
I get out of the car and storm up to the door. “Rachel, wait” Connor called after me. He got out of his car and ran after me. “What do you want?!” I yelled. “I just want you to talk to me” He said grabbing for my hand. “About what?!” I yelled. “About how you said you’d always be here for me? About how you said you’d never leave me? About how you said I could always count on you? About how you said you’d be here forever?” I asked. “I still am here for you!” Connor exclaimed. I laughed. “Obviously not” I said turning away again. “Rachel. Please” Connor said. I turned to face him again “Connor, you’re supposed to be my best friend” I said. “And now you’re leaving me for no reason!” “I’m not leaving you!” Connor cried. “Then what do you call it?!” I yelled. “Rachel, I don’t have any choice. I have to go. You should know if I had a choice that I would stay here but I don’t have a choice!” I shook my head and unlocked the door. “Whatever” I said. I walking inside and slammed the door in his face. I threw my stuff down on the floor and kicked off my shoes. I looked out the window to see what Connor was doing. He looked up at me and I could have sworn I saw a tear roll down his cheek. He turned around and got back into his car. He stared at my condo for a few minutes and then he started his car and drove off. I sighed and went upstairs to my room.
I sat down on my bed and stared around my room. Across my dresser and nightstand and walls are pictures of Connor and I through the years. They all brought back so many memories and I started crying. I decided to call Courtney. She’s my best friend, well, my girl best friend anyways. I dialed the number and waited for her to pick up. “Rachel? What’s wrong?” Courtney asked when she picked up the phone. “Connor and I got into a fight” I said through my tears. “Oh my gosh… Seriously?” Courtney asked. “Would I joke about this?” I asked. “But you two have never fought… You’ve been friends for what, fifteen years?” “No… Seventeen” I said. “We’ve never fought once” “Until now” I added. “What happened?” Courtney asked. “Connor and I were hanging out today and everything was fine until he told me he was going to New York all summer!” I cried. “He keeps telling me he can’t help it, that his dad is making him go but Riley doesn’t have to go! Riley gets to stay here with the rest of the band but not Connor. Connor has to be the one to go! He told me he wouldn’t go if he didn’t have to but apparently he has to go for some reason but he won’t tell be exactly what that reason is. When I told him I thought he said he’d be here for me forever, he said he did say that and that he’ll still be here for me, he just won’t be here as in Orlando.”
“Well, I don’t know the whole story but it sounds like he’s telling you the truth. I don’t think he would go if he had a choice” Courtney said. “He does have a choice! He could tell his dad no!” “Rach, you know Mr. McDonough doesn’t like you already… If Connor stayed here for you, he’d like you even less” “I don’t care!” I cried. “I need him here” “Rachel, listen closely. You are Connor’s best friend. You have been for seventeen years. Connor loves you to death; he would stay here if he could.” Courtney said. I sighed. Courtney had done what only Connor has ever been able to do. And that’s make me get over my stubbornness and see things a different way. “Yeah… I guess you’re right” I said. “So do you know what you’re gonna do now?” Courtney asked. I nodded and then realized we were on the phone. “Yeah… I’m gonna call Connor and apologize” I said. “Good girl” Courtney said laughing. “Thanks Courtney” I said. “Not a problem. I’m always here for you.” “Ditto here… Now, I gotta take care of this.” I said. “I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon.” “Alright, see you then” Courtney said. We hung up and I took another look around my room. Then, I took a deep breath and called Connor.
Connor’s POV
I was sitting in the den talking to Riley and Toby when my phone rang. I was shocked to see it was Rachel when I remembered she left her jacket in my car and was probably calling to say she wanted it back. “I gotta take this” I said picking up my phone and walking out. “It’s probably his girlfriend” I heard Riley tell Toby in a high pitched voice. “Shut up Riley. It’s Rachel” I said. I walked into the hall and took a deep breath. “Hello” I answered. “Connor look” Rachel began. “I’m really sorry for earlier. I just overreacted. I’ve been stressed lately and I just wanted you to be here for me when I need you. I wanted to see your face in person and not just over a computer screen and I wanted to be able to hear your voice more than just over the phone. I guess I was just afraid that if you went to New York you wouldn’t come back or you’d forget about me or you’d find someone to replace me with. I didn’t want that to happen. I’m sorry for getting so mad. Do you forgive me?” “Okay first, I will always be here for you no matter how far apart we are in distance. Second, why would I stay in New York? I love Orlando. Third, why would I forget about you or replace you? Rachel, we’ve been best friends for seventeen years. People don’t just get up and forget all about a friendship like that. And lastly, of course I forgive you. You’re my best friend and I love you”
There was a silence on the other end. “Rachel? Are you still there?” I asked. “Yeah” Rachel said sniffing. “Thanks” she said. “What for?” I asked. Rachel sighed. “Just, for everything. You’ve been here for me for seventeen years and I couldn’t ask for a better friend than you. I love you to death Connor McDonough. You’re truly the greatest friend anyone could ever have. Emie is really lucky to have you too.” “You’re not saying that because you like me, are you?” I joked. “Connor!” Rachel cried. I laughed. I knew she liked Thomas but I can’t help but tease her about liking me. A lot of people say we’d make a good couple but we’re just close friends. “I say that because she is!” Rachel said laughing. “You’re just my best friend ever. I’m glad for that too. And I’m glad you’ll be here for me forever.” She said. I smiled. “Forever and always Rach, forever and always.”
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Next »