The Best Thing | Teen Ink

The Best Thing

By SimplyRachel PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
SimplyRachel PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift, that's why we call it the present."
~Unknown
"Things change, friends leave, and life doesn't stop for anybody."
~Stepgen Chbosky

Author's note: I like music and I like writing. I was listening to Before You Exit and I just got the idea to start writing this

Rachel’s POV

I get out of the car and storm up to the door. “Rachel, wait” Connor called after me. He got out of his car and ran after me. “What do you want?!” I yelled. “I just want you to talk to me” He said grabbing for my hand. “About what?!” I yelled. “About how you said you’d always be here for me? About how you said you’d never leave me? About how you said I could always count on you? About how you said you’d be here forever?” I asked. “I still am here for you!” Connor exclaimed. I laughed. “Obviously not” I said turning away again. “Rachel. Please” Connor said. I turned to face him again “Connor, you’re supposed to be my best friend” I said. “And now you’re leaving me for no reason!” “I’m not leaving you!” Connor cried. “Then what do you call it?!” I yelled. “Rachel, I don’t have any choice. I have to go. You should know if I had a choice that I would stay here but I don’t have a choice!” I shook my head and unlocked the door. “Whatever” I said. I walking inside and slammed the door in his face. I threw my stuff down on the floor and kicked off my shoes. I looked out the window to see what Connor was doing. He looked up at me and I could have sworn I saw a tear roll down his cheek. He turned around and got back into his car. He stared at my condo for a few minutes and then he started his car and drove off. I sighed and went upstairs to my room.

I sat down on my bed and stared around my room. Across my dresser and nightstand and walls are pictures of Connor and I through the years. They all brought back so many memories and I started crying. I decided to call Courtney. She’s my best friend, well, my girl best friend anyways. I dialed the number and waited for her to pick up. “Rachel? What’s wrong?” Courtney asked when she picked up the phone. “Connor and I got into a fight” I said through my tears. “Oh my gosh… Seriously?” Courtney asked. “Would I joke about this?” I asked. “But you two have never fought… You’ve been friends for what, fifteen years?” “No… Seventeen” I said. “We’ve never fought once” “Until now” I added. “What happened?” Courtney asked. “Connor and I were hanging out today and everything was fine until he told me he was going to New York all summer!” I cried. “He keeps telling me he can’t help it, that his dad is making him go but Riley doesn’t have to go! Riley gets to stay here with the rest of the band but not Connor. Connor has to be the one to go! He told me he wouldn’t go if he didn’t have to but apparently he has to go for some reason but he won’t tell be exactly what that reason is. When I told him I thought he said he’d be here for me forever, he said he did say that and that he’ll still be here for me, he just won’t be here as in Orlando.”

“Well, I don’t know the whole story but it sounds like he’s telling you the truth. I don’t think he would go if he had a choice” Courtney said. “He does have a choice! He could tell his dad no!” “Rach, you know Mr. McDonough doesn’t like you already… If Connor stayed here for you, he’d like you even less” “I don’t care!” I cried. “I need him here” “Rachel, listen closely. You are Connor’s best friend. You have been for seventeen years. Connor loves you to death; he would stay here if he could.” Courtney said. I sighed. Courtney had done what only Connor has ever been able to do. And that’s make me get over my stubbornness and see things a different way. “Yeah… I guess you’re right” I said. “So do you know what you’re gonna do now?” Courtney asked. I nodded and then realized we were on the phone. “Yeah… I’m gonna call Connor and apologize” I said. “Good girl” Courtney said laughing. “Thanks Courtney” I said. “Not a problem. I’m always here for you.” “Ditto here… Now, I gotta take care of this.” I said. “I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon.” “Alright, see you then” Courtney said. We hung up and I took another look around my room. Then, I took a deep breath and called Connor.
Connor’s POV

I was sitting in the den talking to Riley and Toby when my phone rang. I was shocked to see it was Rachel when I remembered she left her jacket in my car and was probably calling to say she wanted it back. “I gotta take this” I said picking up my phone and walking out. “It’s probably his girlfriend” I heard Riley tell Toby in a high pitched voice. “Shut up Riley. It’s Rachel” I said. I walked into the hall and took a deep breath. “Hello” I answered. “Connor look” Rachel began. “I’m really sorry for earlier. I just overreacted. I’ve been stressed lately and I just wanted you to be here for me when I need you. I wanted to see your face in person and not just over a computer screen and I wanted to be able to hear your voice more than just over the phone. I guess I was just afraid that if you went to New York you wouldn’t come back or you’d forget about me or you’d find someone to replace me with. I didn’t want that to happen. I’m sorry for getting so mad. Do you forgive me?” “Okay first, I will always be here for you no matter how far apart we are in distance. Second, why would I stay in New York? I love Orlando. Third, why would I forget about you or replace you? Rachel, we’ve been best friends for seventeen years. People don’t just get up and forget all about a friendship like that. And lastly, of course I forgive you. You’re my best friend and I love you”

There was a silence on the other end. “Rachel? Are you still there?” I asked. “Yeah” Rachel said sniffing. “Thanks” she said. “What for?” I asked. Rachel sighed. “Just, for everything. You’ve been here for me for seventeen years and I couldn’t ask for a better friend than you. I love you to death Connor McDonough. You’re truly the greatest friend anyone could ever have. Emie is really lucky to have you too.” “You’re not saying that because you like me, are you?” I joked. “Connor!” Rachel cried. I laughed. I knew she liked Thomas but I can’t help but tease her about liking me. A lot of people say we’d make a good couple but we’re just close friends. “I say that because she is!” Rachel said laughing. “You’re just my best friend ever. I’m glad for that too. And I’m glad you’ll be here for me forever.” She said. I smiled. “Forever and always Rach, forever and always.”

Braiden’s POV

“Finally summer is here!” Thomas cried as we got out of my car in the parking lot of the beach. I closed my door and went to the trunk to get my surfboard. “Braiden!” I heard someone yell. I turned around to see my girlfriend Chiara running up to me. She smacked into me and then started laughing. “That really hurt” She said rubbing her chest. I laughed. “You shouldn’t have run into me then” I said hugging her tightly. Rachel came up behind Thomas and jumped on his back. He almost fell over but grabbed the trunk of my car and regained his balance. “Back invasion” Rachel said laughing. She kissed Thomas’ head and wrapped her arms around his neck. “To the beach” Rachel exclaimed throwing up her arms. She leaned backwards and almost fell off Thomas’ back. “That’s what you get” Thomas said laughing. Rachel smacked him in the head. “That’s what you get” She mocked. Chiara and I started laughing. We grabbed the boards and chairs and went on down towards the actual beach. When we got to the sand Thomas put Rachel down so they didn’t fall and we went on to find Connor and the others.

“Toby” Rachel cried as we walked over to where they were at. She ran over and gave him a hug. “You’re so adorable” Toby laughed and looked at Thomas. “Your girlfriend is weird” He said. Thomas laughed and nodded in agreement. “Don’t hit me again!” He cried. Rachel laughed. “I won’t, I know I’m weird. I take pride in it” She said. She gave Connor a hug and then Riley, Emie, and Emily one as well. “Where’s Courtney?” Chiara asked. “She’ll be here soon” Riley said. “Traffic” Not but one minute later Courtney came running over to us. “Speak of the devil” Connor said laughing. “What?” Courtney asked. “Chiara just asked where you were” I told her. “Oh okay” She said giving Riley a hug. He kissed her cheek and she started to put her hair in a ponytail. “Well, we’re all here now” Connor said. “So it’s time to hang out, scream out loud, and party like it’s not our birthday!” Rachel cried. Everybody started laughing and we all went to do a few different things. Connor, Emie, Riley, and Courtney took a walk on the beach. Connor and Emie went west and Riley and Courtney went east. Thomas and Rachel went down to the water, Toby and Emily went to go get ice cream and Chiara and I stayed and laid down on the blanket.

She put her head on my chest, looked at me and smiled. “What are you smiling about?” I asked. “Nothing” She said smiling. “Just the way your hair falls in your face and you get that adorable grin on your face and the way the light shines on you.” I shook my head. “You make everything so detailed” I said laughing. Chiara shrugged. “I can’t help it. It’s just the way I am” I smiled. “And I wouldn’t want you any other way” I said. I kissed her softly. “I love you” I said smiling. Chiara grinned. “I love you too” I sighed happily. “This is gonna be a good summer” I said. “I can feel it” Chiara nodded. “A sweet, sweet summer indeed” She said.

Thomas’ POV

Once we got to the blanket where the others were Rachel jumped on my back again. I carried her down to the water and then took her feet and moved them from around my waist. She jumped down off my back and I picked her up bridal style and then threw her into the waves. She screamed and then got up and started to run after me. I started laughing and started running away but since we were in the water it was more like, jumping weirdly… I finally tripped over my own feet and fell face first into the water. Rachel started laughing and then sat down next to me. “Watching you run away from me then fall was very entertaining” she said smiling. I pulled her down with me and kissed her. Then I turned to the other side and spit. “You taste like salt water” I said. “Well thanks” She said hitting me. “It’s your fault cause you dropped me in the water”
I stood up and helped Rachel up and then we walked back to where Braiden and Chiara were at. Toby and Emily and Riley and Courtney were just getting back as well. Rachel and I dried off and then laid down on the blanket next to Braiden and Chiara. Rachel put her head on my shoulder and I put my arm around her. Just then Connor and Emie got back and sat down in the chairs to our left. “Connor forgot sunscreen” Emie said taking the sunscreen out of the bag. Rachel sat up. “Really Connor?” She asked. She leaned over and smacked his shoulder. “OW!” Connor yelled. Rachel slapped her hand over her mouth. “Sorry, I wasn’t thinking” She said. Connor then reached over and smacked her. “Okay, I guess I deserved that” She said laughing and laying back down. Connor laughed and turned so Emie could put sunscreen on his back. He looked down at Rachel and made a face and she started laughing. “What’s so funny?” Emily asked. Rachel grinned. “I’m just thinking about how all of us met” She said laughing. “I can’t believe I’ve never heard this story before” Emily said. “Go ahead and tell it Rach” Connor said nodding. Rachel smiled. “I might as well; we’ve got all the time in the world”
Rachel’s POV

I was at the McDonough’s house that afternoon. Connor and I were playing hide and seek with Riley and we were currently looking for him. Neither of us could find him anywhere! This was when Connor and I were thirteen so Riley was eleven and could still fit into small places. Toby was nine and was hiding somewhere else but we wanted to find Riley first. It was around noon when there was a knock on the door and Mrs. McDonough went to get it. Turns out, it was Braiden, I had never met him before so Connor introduced us and that pretty much started it all. (Flashback) “Braiden this is my best friend Rachel! The girl I was telling you about” Connor said. I blushed at the thought of him talking about me. “She’s pretty” I heard Braiden whisper. Connor nodded in agreement. “I’m gonna go find Riley!” I cried suddenly. I turned and ran off in the opposite direction. “Riley” I called. “Riley McDonough” I passed by his room and looked in. “Riley, are you in here?” I asked. No answer.

I rolled my eyes. Where is that boy? I thought. Then I heard something move and spun around to fins Toby trying to sneak around behind me. “Toby!” I cried. “Where’s your brother? Riley not Connor” Toby looked at me. “I’ll never tell” he said. “Don’t make me” I said looking at him. “You wouldn’t” I grinned. “Oh but I would” Toby looked at me and blinked. “Aw look at little Toby. Toby’s so adorable” I said in a baby voice as I pinched his cheeks. “Fine!” Toby cried. “I’ll tell just stop it!” I laughed and patted his head. “He’s in the cabinet in the kitchen” Toby said. “Well okay then…” I said. I skipped off to the kitchen and searched all the cabinets. “Riley, where are you?” I asked. I opened the bottom cabinet and Riley rolled out. “What took so long?” He asked rubbing his knees. “That was starting to hurt” “Well, Connor and I kinda gave up and then we started looking again and then Braiden got here and so I came to look for you again” I explained. “Wait, Braiden’s here?” Riley asked. “Yeah, he’s talking to Connor” I said. “They’re in the den” Riley ran out of the kitchen and headed for the den. “Thanks for talking to me” I yelled sarcastically after him.

I rolled my eyes and followed Riley back to the den. “Rachel, I have someone else for you to meet” Connor said as I walked in. Oh no… Not somebody else. I thought. I looked up and smiled. Dang, he is gorgeous! I thought. “Rachel, this is Thomas. Thomas, this is my best friend Rachel” Connor said. He smiled at me and then looked at Thomas. “You’re short” I said. I then blushed and ran towards Connor’s room. I hit my head on the wall. “I am so stupid” I said out loud. “You’re so short. Really? Gosh I couldn’t be stupider” I said. I opened the door. “Connor Patrick McDonough” I yelled. “Get your butt in here! Please” I yelled. Connor walked into his room and I slammed the door. “Why did you do that to me?” I asked. “I just thought you’d want to meet Thomas” Connor said. “He wanted to meet you” I blushed. “Really, he wanted to meet me?” I asked. Connor nodded and I smacked him. “Ow! What was that for?” Connor cried. “For not telling me! I looked like an idiot, and sounded like one!” I cried.

“It wasn’t that bad” Connor said. “I said you’re short” Connor laughed. “That was funny” I smacked him again. “Stop that!” He yelled. “Let’s try it again. Go out there and introduce yourself.” Connor said. “Fine, but one more thing” I said. “What?” Connor asked opening the door. I smacked him again. “OW!” He cried. I started laughing and walked down the hall. Thomas and Braiden were talking to Riley. I walked up and took a deep breath. “Hi, I’m Rachel. I’m Connor’s best friend and I beat him up a lot. I’m very weird and sometimes have random outburst so please excuse the random and odd things that I say unless I tell you I’m being serious” I said. I held out my hand and Thomas shook it. “Well, we all know each other now… so let’s start practicing” Connor said. We all went into their studio and I sat down on a beanbag and listened to them practice. Around 3 o’clock Courtney and Emie came over. I introduced them to Braiden and Thomas. They had met Connor and Riley two years ago so they didn’t need to be introduced to them. My friends Emily and Chiara came over around 3:30.

I’m actually surprised Mrs. McDonough let all of them into her house… I introduced them to all of them because they were newer friends of mine and hadn’t met any of the guys yet. At about 5 o’clock everybody went home except for me. I was staying at the McDonough’s while my parents were out of town. “Connor, I really like your friend Thomas” I said after everyone had left. “I could tell” he said. “You’re short” He added mocking me. “Don’t make me hit you again” I said. “Okay, okay, I’m sorry” Connor said. I started laughing. I gave Connor and hug and we sat down in the den and started watching a movie. “Connor, you’re the best. I love you” Connor smiled. “I love you too, Rach” (End Flashback)

“And now here we are five years later still the best of friends” I said hugging Connor. “I asked her out three years later and so we’ve been together for two years now.” Thomas said. “Three years was too long in my opinion” I said. “But I still love you” I added kissing his cheek. “And then I asked Emie out about two months after Thomas asked Rachel out” Connor said. “Then Riley asked Courtney out about a year ago and Braiden asked Chiara out about a month and a half after Connor asked Emie out” I said. “And then Toby asked you out about six months ago” Connor added. Emily looked at us. “You two remember this story so vividly” She said. Connor and I looked at each other. “Em, we’ve been friend for seventeen years! There’s not a single thing we don’t remember about each other.” Connor said. “I even remember what Connor’s boxer looked like in eighth grade. And what his bed sheets were when we were seven.” I said. “Plaid and Spider Man” I added. “Just in case you were wondering”

Connor pushed me and I dramatically fell on top of Thomas. We started laughing and then I sat back up. “But seriously Emily, we know every single last detail about each other. Connor knows things about me no one else does. Sometimes, he knows me better than I know myself.” I said. “And same goes for her with me” Connor said. I gave Connor a hug and smiled. “I love this guy” I said. “I love him to death and there isn’t anything anyone can do to change that” “But Emie, don’t you ever get jealous of their relationship?” Emily asked. “To be honest, sometimes I do. Because there are times that he will only want to be with her. But then I remember that they have been best friends for seventeen years and that I have only known him for seven years. And on top of that, we’ve only been dating for around two years. So even though I do get jealous sometimes, I don’t let it bother me. Because I know that best friend always do come before girlfriend and boyfriends. So, it doesn’t usually bother me” Connor smiled. “And that’s why I love her” Connor kissed Emie’s head and then gave me a hug. “My two favorite girls” He said. I smiled. Connor Patrick McDonough is the greatest friend anyone could ever have.

Rachel’s POV

I was fast asleep when suddenly my phone rang and I jumped. “Hello” I answered not waking up yet. “Rachel!” A friendly voice cried. “Connor? What the heck are you doing calling me at 6am?!” I cried. “Guess what today is!” Connor cried. “Connor, I don’t know” I said. “It’s six o’clock in the morning and I’m tired. I just want to go back to sleep.” “No. Check your calendar” He said. I groaned and dragged myself out of bed. I walked over to my door and looked up. “June 12th” I said. “Exactly” Connor said. Then I realized what he meant. “OH MY GOSH IT’S JUNE 12TH!” I yelled. “As of now, it has officially been seventeen years since we met.” Connor said. “Why did you call me this early though?” I asked. “Because it was this early when your mom brought you to my mom and asked her to babysit you” Connor said. “My mom stuck you in the playpen with me and she went to lie down. She was pregnant with Riley at the time” “Oh yeah!” I said smiling. “So what are we planning on doing today?” I asked.

“You need to get dressed because I’ll be at your house in thirty minutes” Connor said. “I have the entire day planned out” I smiled. That’s my best friend. Always planning things ahead of time. “Be ready when I get there. Bye” Connor said. “Bye Connor” I said smiling. I hung up and placed my phone on my dresser. I grabbed my clothes and went to take a shower. After I got out I put on my black jean shorts, a red tank top, my white sweater, and my gray vans. I dried my hair and side braided it. I went downstairs and cleaned up a bit. Connor may have seen my apartment when it’s messy before, but today, I refuse to let him see it that way. I ate some cheerios for breakfast and then brushed my teeth and sat down to watch TV when there was a knock at the door. I got up and opened it. “Happy seventeen years” Said the smiling face of Connor.

I smiled. “Happy seventeen years” I said back giving him a hug. Connor came in and I shut the door behind him. “So, what’s your plan?” I asked. Connor held up about five books and two small boxes. “Home movies and photo albums” He said grinning. “Aw but I was such a dork when I was a kid” I said. “You still are” Connor said nudging me playfully. I hit him in the arm and we sat down on the couch and started looking through the first album. “Baby Connor!” I cried pointing to a picture. “Just look at that face” I said smiling. “You were an adorable little baby” “So were you” Connor said pointing to another picture. Throughout the entire first album were pictures of Connor, me, and sometimes Riley. They were baby pictures all the way up until we were about four. The second album was five through eleven and that’s the album where Toby started to appear in some pictures. The next two, were twelve through fifteen. We took a lot of pictures around that age for some reason.

“Homecoming pictures” I said pointing to a few and smiled. Connor looked at me and smiled. “What?” I asked. “Nothing” He said. “Just, that night was pretty amazing” “It really was” I agreed. “It seems like it was only yesterday though” He said.
Connor’s POV

I remember the weeks before it as well. We were thirteen and this was the first real dance either of us had been to. (Flashback) “Rachel, are you going to go to homecoming?” I asked as I walked into my room. “I don’t know” She said. “Maybe, I just don’t wanna go without a date” “Well, you know we could always go together” I said. Rachel smiled. “I’d like that” I sat down on the floor across from her and we started to play cards. “It’s next week, right?” I asked. Rachel nodded. “So, we’re gonna have to prepare a lot in a short amount of time” “Well I’m going shopping for dresses with Courtney tomorrow” Rachel said. “Apparently Riley asked her to go with him last week so she needed one anyways. She wanted me to go with her and now since I need one too, it’s an even better reason to go” I smiled. I love the way the light shines off her face. “Why are you staring at me?” Rachel asked. “What? Oh um I zoned out for a second. Sorry” I stuttered.

The next afternoon Rachel came over to my house again. “I found the perfect dress” She said smiling. “Well, let’s see it” I said. She shook her head. “Nope, you don’t get to see it till the day of homecoming” I rolled my eyes and sighed. I love her but she makes things so complicated sometimes. We hung out for a little bit and then she went home to get ready for school the next day. I really couldn’t wait for homecoming this time. When it finally got here, I was actually happy but kind of nervous. My mom took me and Riley to go pick up Rachel and Courtney. I went up and knocked on the door to Rachel’s house. Her dad answered it and pulled me inside. “Connor, good to see you son” He said patting my back. “Rachel has been talking about this all week” Rachel came out from her room and for a few minutes, I could barely speak. She stood there in a long blue and white sleeveless dress and white heels. Her hair was done up on a French braid and pulled back. “You look…beautiful” I said staring. Rachel blushed.

“You don’t look too bad yourself” She said. “One question though” I said. “Who are you and what have you done with my best friend?” Rachel looked at me and punched my arm. “There she is and OW!” I said laughing. After about three dozen pictures thanks to her father we finally left and went to go pick of Courtney. Riley went through pretty much the same thing I did with that. Lots and lots of pictures. We got to the place where it was being held at and got out and went inside. People seemed to stare at Rachel and I as we walked past them. “People are staring Connor” Rachel said uneasily. “That’s because you’re just so beautiful” I said. “Nice try but it’s because we’re here together. Maybe we shouldn’t have come” There was a sinking feeling in my stomach. I really wanted to come with her. “Do you want to leave then?” I asked. Rachel was quiet for a moment. “No, I want to dance and have fun with my best friend” She said smiling. I gave her a hug and a few guys came up behind us.

“Connor, man, nice” one guy said motioning towards Rachel. “Good to see you two finally together” A second said. “Rachel! Oh my gosh! Why didn’t you tell me you and Connor were dating now?” one of the guy’s dates cried. “Because we’re not dating and because I don’t like you so I wouldn’t tell you even if we were dating!” Rachel exclaimed. I took her hand and pulled her away. “Calm down Rach, it’ll be okay” She took a deep breath. “Yeah, you’re right” She said looking down. “Hey” I said pulling her head back up. “It will be fine. Don’t let what they say get to you. It’s frustrating sometimes but we have to deal with it. We’re too close for people to think we’re anything less than… well, boyfriend and girlfriend.” I said. Rachel shrugged. “I guess so” “Now, can I have this dance?” I asked holding out my hand. Rachel grinned. “Of course you can” She took my hand and I led her to the dance floor and we started to dance.

Towards the end of the night someone else came up to us. “You guys should try dating” The person said. “I think you guys are so cute together.” Then they walked away. “Why do people keep saying that?!” Rachel cried. “I don’t want to date you” I looked at her. “Would it really be such a bad thing though?” I asked. “Oh Connor, no, you’ve got it all wrong” She said. “It’s not that I don’t want to, because I would, because I love you and all but I don’t want to wreck our friendship” “Wait what?” I asked. “I don’t want to wreck our friendship” Rachel said. “No, what did you say before that?” Rachel blushed. “I said I love you” I smiled and she looked down at the ground. “Hey Rach” I said. Rachel looked up at me. “I love you too” I gave her a hug and then looked her in the eyes. This was the first time we had said we loved each other, even meaning it as just friend love. Then all of a sudden, Rachel kissed me. I looked at her and she blushed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t—. I mean, I um, I’m sorry” She stuttered. I just smiled. “No worries” I said.
The last song of the night came on and I pulled her close as we danced. When my mom picked us up that night Rachel slid in the back seat of the van with me and Riley and Courtney sat in the middle seat section. We had an hour or two drive back home because of traffic and other coincidental problems so she laid her head on my shoulder and I put my arm around her. She stared up at me for a few minutes then drifted off to sleep. I woke her up whenever we got her to her house and I told my mom I’d be just a minute and I walked her to the door. She brought me inside and started to say something but stopped. Then she started again. “I had a great time Connor” Rachel said. I smiled. “Me too” “You’re a really great friend, I love you” She said. “I love you too” She hugged me tightly and kissed my cheek. “Goodnight Connor” Rachel said. “Goodnight Rach” I said. I hugged her one last time and then turned around and went back outside to go get in the van and go home. (End Flashback)
Rachel smiled. “Connor McDonough, I cannot believe you remember every single last detail down to the color dress I was wearing and how my hair was” I smiled. “What can I say?” I asked. Rachel hugged me tightly. “You know, that was actually my first kiss” She said. “And I will admit, I did have a slight crush on you… so you were my first crush too” “After that night, I gave up on us being anything” I said. “Why?” Rachel asked. “You said you didn’t want to wreck our friendship, and I agreed. So I gave up on it and then shortly after I fell of Emie” “And I fell for Thomas” Rachel added. I laughed. “And you fell for Thomas” I repeated. “I can’t believe how much we’ve been through together.” Rachel said. “Me either” “We’ve been each other’s first everything’s… or been there for them. Except for first time because, well, we’re not like that” I nodded. “Connor you’re the best, I don’t think I would have wanted to spend the day doing anything else” Rachel said. I smiled.
“It’s not over just yet” I said smiling. I took her hand and pulled her towards the door. “Where are we going?” She asked. “Out” I said. “Well, let me get my keys then” Rachel ran back to her bedroom and grabbed her keys and phone and then came back. “Okay now we can go” She said. I grabbed her hand again and pulled her out the door. Rachel locked the door and then got into my car. “Where are we going?” She asked. “You’ll see” I said grinning. “Here put this on” I said handing her a blindfold. She rolled her eyes and put it on not too long before I pulled into the parking lot. I got out of the car and opened her door and helped her out so she didn’t injure herself. I helped her inside and sat her down in the seat. “Okay, you can take the blindfold off now” I said. Rachel took of the blindfold and jumped when she saw Thomas sitting next to her.
“Here’s another first” I said. “The Chipotle where we had our first date with Thomas and Emie” She smiled. “Connor, I love you. This day could not have been more amazing” I smiled. “I love you too. Now, enjoy the rest of it with Emie and Thomas as well” Rachel hugged Thomas and gave him a kiss. “I love you too Thomas” She said messing with his hair. Thomas smiled. “I love you more. Merp” We all laughed and Thomas put his arm around Rachel. I hugged Emie tightly and kissed her head. “Here’s to seventeen years with the best friend I could ever have and almost three with the best girlfriend I could ever have” I said raising my class. “I’ll drink to that” Rachel said taking a drink of her water. Seventeen years and not a single thing has changed between us. We’re still the best of friends, and we always will be. Rachel seemed to know what I was thinking because she smiled and looked at me. “What?” I asked. She just smiled again and said “Forever and always Connor. Forever and always”

Connor’s POV

“Come on Connor!” Rachel cried pulling my hand. “We have to get this done in like an hour” “Remind me why we’re doing this again” I said. “Because it’s Emily’s birthday and she is your brother’s girlfriend and our friend. So we’re throwing her a birthday party and you will play guitar so that Toby can sing her a song” “And why do we only have an hour?” I asked. “Well, it’s 11 o’clock now, and the others will be here at 12 o’clock and Emily will be here at 12:30. That means we have a total of an hour and a half but your mom hasn’t gotten back with the cake and pizza yet either. We have to get as much as we can done and set up before 12” Rachel explained. “And why isn’t Toby helping?” I asked. “He went with your mom, remember? And Riley is supposed to be blowing up balloons and not paying around!” Rachel cried throwing a pack of unopened balloons at him.

“Watch it, Rachel” Riley said. “Shut up. I’m trying to do something for my friend who might I add is YOUR friend TOO! Plus, I’m older than you so I can tell you what to do so get to work” Rachel said. “Rach, calm down please, you’re scaring me.” I said putting my hand on her shoulder. Rachel sighed. “I’m sorry… I just want this to be perfect. It’s Em’s 15th birthday and I want it to be awesome” She said. I gave her a hug. “Everything will be okay” I said. “And look, here comes mom and Toby with the pizza, cake, and plates” My mom and Toby barely got through the door when Rachel was and almost tackled them to the floor. “Okay, last step, Mrs. McDonough, would you PLEASE tell your son to help me and blow up the balloons?” “Which son?” My mom asked. “Riley” Rachel said pointing. “Riley, help your friend. Now” My mom then walked out of the room and went to her bedroom.

“Toby” Rachel said. “Rachel” Toby mocked. “All I need you to do is help
Connor with the streamers and the banner and I think that’s it” She said. “Why can’t you do that?” Toby asked. “Well for one thing, I’m gonna go work on the food and stuff. And second, you’re taller than I am!” Rachel cried. Toby laughed. “That’s true” He said smiling. “Oh hush” Rachel said pushing him playfully. “Now hurry up please! We’ve only got 30 minutes” Rachel ran into the kitchen and started to set it up. Then she ran back into the den. “Okay I set out the plates and cups and the pizza boxes. And put the little labels I made for them in front of the boxes and put the cake in the fridge” I nodded in approval. “Now, to blow up the rest of the balloons” She said pushing Riley over. “Riley you’re so lazy, why couldn’t you help me?” She asked looking up at him sadly.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry” Riley said. He grabbed a few balloons and started to blow them up. Twenty minutes later we finally had everything set up and ready for Emily’s party. “Toby, where’s your present?” Rachel asked. “It needs to go on the table with all the others” She said. “It’s in my room, one anyways; the second cannot be wrapped” Toby said smiling. “Oh gosh…” Rachel said putting her head in her hands. “Rach, what did I tell you earlier?” I asked. “Calm down, it’ll all be okay” “Yeah, you’re right” She said hugging me. “Thanks Connor, what would I be without you?” She asked. “A big mess” I said laughing “Not funny” She said hitting me playfully. “I thought it was” I said pushing her. The there was a knock at the door and she ran to get it. “Thomas!” I heard her yell. I laughed. “She really loves him” I said quietly. A few minutes later Thomas came back into the den with Rachel on his back.

I looked at him and he just smiled. “I love her too much to say no” He said smiling. I looked at Rachel who was sitting on his back playing with his hair. She had the biggest smile on her face. She hugged him tightly and kissed his cheek. “Merp” Thomas said. Rachel laughed but rolled her eyes. There was another knock at the door and this time I went to get it. There was Courtney and Chiara and Emie but no Braiden. “Where’s Braiden?” I asked Chiara. “He’s running a bit late” She said. “He’ll be here in five to ten minutes” “Alright then, we’re all good” I said leading them back to the den. “Braiden will be here soon, so after him that only leaves Emily” I said. Rachel nodded. “Alright then, we’re all good” She said. Courtney and Chiara started laughing. “There’s no doubt that you two are best friends” Courtney said. “You even say the exact same things” Chiara added. There was a knock at the door and then Braiden came running into the den.

“I let myself in” He gasped for breath. “Just ran from home” He gasped again. “Car out of gas” He gasped again and then coughed. “Emily in 2 minutes” He cried. Braiden ran to the bathroom to clean up and then came back. There was a knock on the door and we all assumed it was Emily” “I’ll get it” Toby said jumping up. Toby ran to the door and opened it. “Come here, I have something to show you” We heard him say. He led Emily back to the den and made her close her eyes. “Okay, you can open them” Toby said once they stepped into the room. “SURPRSIE!” We all yelled and jumped out from behind the couch. “Aw this is so sweet” Emily said smiling. “It was Rachel and Toby’s idea” Riley said. Emily smiled. “Thanks guys” She said hugging them. “So Em, what do you wanna do first?” Toby asked. Emily looked around. “I’m not sure, you pick for me” Toby grinned.

“Okay, then sit down, Connor and I will be right back” I went to my room and got my guitar and sat down on the chair across from the couch. Emie stood behind me and placed her hands on my shoulders. I started to play the song Toby told me to and Toby began singing. When the sun shines through my window, I always think of you. You've got the eyes of an angel, you're every dream come true. That night, goes through my head. I try to rewind. My girl, you're just, one, one, one of a kind.” Emily screamed. “This is my favorite song by you guys” She said. “When I give up, and fall down, you always get me through. It reminds me of our love, and everything with you. When it comes, to times like this, I love what you do. It's three words in every language, it's how much.” Toby continued.
Riley and I joined in with Toby. “When I look across the skyline, you're runnin' through my mind. When trees sway in the nighttime, you're the one I find. As the years go by slowly, I want to hold you close. I love you so much. Girl you'll never know! When I give up, and fall down, you always get me through. It reminds me of our love, and everything with you. When it comes, to times like this, I love what you do. It's three words in every language, it's how much, I love you. I love you. When I give up, and fall down, you always get me through. It reminds me of our love, and everything with you. When it comes, to times like this, I love what you do. When I give up, and fall down, you always get me through.” We stopped and let Toby finish it on his own. “It reminds me of our love, and everything with you. When it comes, to times like this, I love what you do. It’s three words in every language, it's three words in every language. It's three words in every language. It's how much, I love you.”
Toby smiled and looked at Emily. “I love you Em, happy birthday” He said smiling. “I love you too” Emily said through her tears. Toby gave Emily a hug and right there in front of everybody she kissed him. I was surprised; I didn’t expect that to happen. “I couldn’t wait to do that any longer” Emily said wiping her tears. Toby gave Emily another hug and then she sat back down to open the rest of her presents and enjoy the rest of her special day.

Connor’s POV

“So” I said. “The annual Beach Barbeque is coming up… Do you wanna go?” “What kind of question is that?” Emie asked. “One in need of an answer” I said. “Noo, I mean why would you even ask? You should know the answer is yes!” Emie cried. I laughed. “Okay, then it’s a date” I kissed Emie softly and she gave me a hug. I started to say something else but we were interrupted by a sudden knock on the door. “Connor!” Rachel cried. I opened the door and she came running inside. “Connor!” She cried again. “Connor help!” “What is it?” I asked. “Oh um sorry Emie” Rachel said turning towards her. “It’s okay, go on” Emie said sitting down. “Thank you!” Rachel cried. Hugging Emie.

“Connor, my dad wants me to break up with Thomas! He told me I had to… I don’t want to!” Rachel cried. “What? Why?” I asked. “He says we’ve been getting to serious!” “Really?” I asked. “Yes! And I don’t know what to do!” She yelled. “What are you going to do?” Emie asked. “I don’t know” Rachel said. “That’s why I came to Connor” “Have you told Thomas yet?” I asked. “That’s crazy talk” Rachel said. “Well you do need to tell him, you can’t just avoid him” I said. “Wait… you two come with me. See if we can convince my dad to let us stay together. You guys know how much Thomas means to me… And Connor you know how bad I wanted to go out with him and how happy I was whenever he finally asked me out” “It’s worth a try” I said.

The three of us went over to Rachel’s dad’s house to talk to him. “Mr. Tucker, how are you?” I asked. “Pretty pissed Connor, pretty pissed” Oh… Yikes! Maybe this was a bad idea. “What do you need?” Mr. Tucker asked. “We came to talk to you about Rachel and Thomas” Emie said. “They’re getting too serious! They’re gonna break up” “But sir, they’re not. They don’t ever do anything” Emie said. “And they’re never alone, they’re always with Emie and I” I said. “Or Courtney and Riley” Rachel added. “I say they’re getting to serious so they are! Go break up with him! Now!” Mr. Tucker yelled. “Okay… I will…” Rachel said quietly. She turned around and slowly and sadly walked out of her dad’s house. Emie and I silently followed and we got into the car and left.

“Looks like your dads drunk again, Rach” I said. Rachel sighed. “When isn’t he?” She asked. “So what will you do now?” Emie asked changing subjects. “Talk to Thomas, I guess” Rachel said. So we drove over to Thomas’ house so she could. Emie and I stayed in the car so they could have their privacy.
Rachel’s POV

“My dad thinks we’re getting too serious. He said we should break up… well, that we have to break up” “I don’t want to break up” Thomas said. “Neither do I but…” I began. I stopped. “Wait… what if we pretend to break up but actually don’t?” I said. “We’ll change out Facebook statuses and we’ll go to the Beach Barbeque alone. We’ll make it seem like we broke up but we’ll actually be together” Thomas smiled. “This is why I love you” I grinned and kissed him. “I love you more though” I said. “I doubt that” Thomas said kissing me again. I smiled. “I’ll see you in a few days” I said. I gave Thomas a huge bear hug and got back in the car. I told Connor and Emie the plan and then Connor took me home.
One Week Later

I put on my light green and blue two-piece bathing suit and then slipped by white cover up on over top. “Ready to go?” Courtney asked as I walked out of my bedroom. “Yup, let’s go” I said grabbing my bag. “Have you talked to Thomas this week?” Courtney asked as we got into the car. “No, we’re trying to make our “breakup” believable” I said. “And it’s killing me!” I cried. Courtney laughed. “At least you get to see him today” She said smiling. “Yeah but we can’t dance or anything” I said sadly. “Aw Rach, I’m sorry. I’m sure things will be okay soon though” “Thanks Court” I said smiling. “You’re the best” We pulled into the beach parking lot and the smell of burgers and crisp ocean air hit us.

Courtney and I got out and went to find the others. “Courtney!” Riley cried as soon as he saw her. Riley ran up to us and gave Courtney a big hug and a kiss. “Hey Rachel” Riley said smiling. “Hey buddy” I said giving Riley a hug. “You doing okay?” He asked. I nodded. “Or I will be anyways” I added. The three of us walked down to where everyone else was and where the chairs were set up at. The first song came on and everyone found someone to dance with. I stood to the side and watched. Where’s Thomas at? I thought. I haven’t seen him around yet… Then a tall dark haired guy walked up to me. “Hey, I’m Phillip, we go to school together” the guys said. “Oh yeah! I know who you are” I said smiling a little. “I was just wondering… would you like to dance?” Phillip asked. I shrugged. “Why not” I said. I dropped my bag next to the chairs and we moved out a little bit.

I put my hands around his neck and he put his hands on my hips. “Move them up a bit” I said. “That’s uncomfortable” No one can put their hands down that close to my butt. Except Thomas, because I love him. And even for him that’s as far as they can go… Phillip moved his hands up to my sides and we continued to dance. “Hey, do you think you might just maybe wanna go out with me sometime?” Phillip asked. Hmm… I though. Maybe if I go out with him I can convince dad that I’m going out with Phillip and then I’ll tell Phillip I’m still with Thomas and I’ll go out with Thomas. I shrugged. “I guess so” “Rachel are you okay? You say more than this at school” Phillip said. “I’m fine” I said. From behind Phillip I saw Thomas’ face appear a little ways away. I put my hands on Phillip’s shoulders. “Hey, I’ve gotta go talk to someone. I’ll talk to you later” I said.

I looked around to make sure no one was paying attention and I ran over to where Thomas was at. “Thomas” I said smiling. “I’ve missed you so much this past week” a tear rolled down my cheek and I gave Thomas a hug. “I really missed you too” Thomas took my hand and pulled me into the tent that was next to us. “You realize we can get in trouble for this, right?” Thomas asked. “I like a challenge” I said winking. I hugged Thomas again. “This week really was terrible” I said. “I don’t like to live without you” Thomas smiled. “Are you blushing?!” I cried. “No!” Thomas cried suddenly. “Yes you are!” I cried. “No I’m not” Thomas said again. “Yes you---” Thomas kissed me to shut me up. It was my turn to blush this time. I smiled. “I miss this” I said. “I do too” Thomas said. “And I miss you”

“Hey, I’m going out with that kid Phillip from school tomorrow night” I said. “I’m gonna try and convince my dad that I’m dating him now and then whenever you and I wanna go out I’ll tell my dad I’m going out with Phillip and then you and I will just go out” “It’s worth a shot” Thomas said. “Now, I have to get back there so people don’t start suspecting things” I said. “Wait like five to ten minutes and then you can come on out too” I said. I turned and started to walk away but Thomas grabbed my hand. “Can I have one more kiss to last me?” He asked. I smiled. “Of course you can babe” I said. I put my arms around his neck and kissed him long and softly. “I love you” I whispered letting go of his hand. “I love you more” Thomas said smiling. I slipped out of the tent and went back over to where everyone was at. They had all sat down and were eating burgers and hot dogs and other foods that were at the barbeque.

“Well someone’s happy” Courtney said as I sat down next to Connor. I smiled even bigger. “Yeah, I am” “You just met up with Thomas, didn’t you?” Emie asked. “Shhh” I said. “Nobody can find out” Just a minute later Thomas came up and sat down. “Speak of the devil” Emily said. “Shhh” I said again. I winked at Thomas. “What did you two do?” Riley asked. “Nothing” I said quickly. Riley looked at Thomas. “Seriously, we didn’t do anything” Thomas said. “If you say so” Riley said nudging Thomas. I rolled my eyes. I love Riley, but he’s so weird. The rest of the night seemed to go by on fast forward. Let me just say this; if there’s a such thing as the love bug, I caught it all over again today.
The Next Night

“Come on out here and let me get a look at you” Courtney said. She was over at my house helping me get ready for my “date” tonight. I walked out of my room and spun around slowly. “Jean skirt, tank top, flip-flops, hair pulled back, light makeup. You did well” Courtney said smiling. I laughed. “Courtney, you do realize I’m only doing this so I can go out with Thomas, right?” I asked. “I know, I know” Courtney said. The doorbell rang and I ran to get it. “Dad, this is Phillip. We’re going out, we’ll be back in an hour or two” I grabbed Phillips wrist and dragged him out the door. Courtney followed us out. “Call me later, Rachel! Good luck” She said. “Thanks” I said. “And I will” I got into Phillips car and he pulled out and we were on our way.

Not too long later we pulled into the parking lot of none other than, Chipotle. “Aw this is my boy--- I mean ex-boyfriend’s favorite restaurant. Well, one of them” I said smiling. “And my best friends” I added. “I know” Phillip said. “You’re one of the McDonough’s best friends, right?” He asked. “Yeah, Connor and I have been best friends for seventeen years” I said. Phillip got out and opened my door for me. We walked in and went to a table. Before we sat down Phillip leaned over and tried to kiss me. “Whoa, what the heck do you think you’re doing?!” I cried. “Trying to kiss you, I mean you are my date” “I don’t care!” I cried. “I’m still dating Thomas! He’s my boyfriend, not you” I rolled my eyes. “You know what, take me home. I’m finished here. I don’t wanna stay anymore. Take me home, now”

Phillip rolled his eyes and mumbled something under his breath and then we went back outside and we got into the car and he took me home. Whenever we got to my house I jumped out of the car and stormed inside. “DAD!” I yelled. My dad came into the den. “I don’t give a damn about what you say. I love Thomas, and we’re going to continue dating! We never even broke up previously. So you’re just gonna have to freaking deal with it or disown my ass!” I cried. I stormed upstairs to my bedroom and slammed the door. I put on my pajamas so I could be comfortable and I decided to call Thomas.

“Rachel? Is something wrong?” Thomas asked. “No, I just had to tell you something” I said. “Alright, what is it?” Thomas asked. “I told my dad we never broke up and that I wouldn’t break up with you. I said that I didn’t care what he said and that we were going to stay together and that he’d either have to deal with it or he’d have to disown my ass” “Rachel! That’s not lady like. Girls are not supposed to say things like ass” Thomas said. I laughed. “That’s what you got from that?!” I cried laughing. “I got that you love me too” Thomas said. I smiled. “I do Thomas, I really do” I said. “I love you too” Thomas said. “No, you don’t get it” I said. “I say I love you but like, I really love you! With all of my heart, as in I couldn’t ever love anyone as much as I love you. I mean, I love Connor and Riley and Braiden and all but like, that’s a different kind of love and I just like really love you. I do not and probably could not live without you.” I said.

Thomas was quiet for a minute. “Thomas, are you still there?” I asked. “Yeah, I’m here” Thomas said. “I just don’t know how I can explain to you how much I love you without it sounding cheesy after you say that” “Aww, go ahead and try though” I said. “Okay, if you’re sure” Thomas said. “I’m positive” I said. “Well, then, I love you more than Braiden loves Call of Duty” I started laughing. “And that’s a lot” I said. I was laughing so hard I was crying now. “I’m sorry” I said. “That’s just so funny, I love you so much” I said. “I love you too” Thomas said. Thomas and I talked for hours upon hours. “This is just like the night of our first date” I said. “I dropped you off at home and then once I got home I only had time to go upstairs and sit down and you called me” Thomas said.

I smiled. “I only called you because I had liked you for a long time already and I was just super happy that you finally asked me out and I just wanted to talk to you because I love doing so.” I said. “I know I liked talking to you too” Thomas said. “And I wanted to call you but since we had just started dating I wasn’t sure if I should or not” “Oh honey please, I wouldn’t have cared. I would have picked up and talked to you for days if I could have. And if I wasn’t afraid of going over my minutes. And if my dad wouldn’t yell at me for being on the phone so long” I said. Thomas laughed. “Well now I know that” he said. I smiled. “Hey babe, its 11:58 and I love you and I love talking to you but I need to go. I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?” “Alrighty” I said. “I love you” Thomas said. “I love you too” I said. We hung up and I put my phone on my nightstand. I got up and went to the bathroom to wash my face. I came back and checked the time. Dang… it’s midnight already; time goes by fast when I’m talking to Thomas. I though. Then my phone started ringing. “Hello?” I said. “Hey babe, it’s tomorrow” Thomas said. I started laughing. Thomas is seriously the best boyfriend ever.

Connor’s POV

Tonight is the night. The night we take another step forward and play in front of our peers. “Connor are you okay?” Emie asked. Emie was helping me pack up our instruments, Courtney was somewhere with Riley, Emily was watching a movie with Toby, Chiara was at Braiden’s house and Thomas and Rachel were nowhere to be found. “I don’t know” I said. “Aw babes, it’ll be okay” Emie said. She put her hand on my shoulder. “I’m sure everybody will be here soon and then we can go” I shook my head. “It’s not that” I said. “Then what is it?” Emie asked. I sighed. “I don’t know… this is our first time playing in front of people who aren’t fans or family… so I guess I’m worried that they won’t like us” I said. “Connor, when have you ever been worried about that?” Emie asked. “You’ve only cared about those who helped you to get where you are now, because without them you wouldn’t be here. Those that hate you, you don’t even need them. They didn’t help you in any way. I promise it’ll be okay Con” she said. I sighed. “Yeah I guess you’re right” I said.

I turned to face Emie. I took her hands and swung them back and forth a bit. “You’re the best, you know that?” I said. Emie smiled. “I thought you said Rachel was the best” I looked at her. “Em, don’t be like that” I said. “I’m just joking” Emie said. “You better be” I said pulling her in for a hug. “I love you Connor” Emie said softly. I smiled and laid my chin on her head. “This is the advantage of having a short girlfriend” I said. “Connor!” Emie cried. I started laughing. “I’m kidding, I love you” I said. “No, it’s too late now” She said. She turned and started to walk away. “No, no it’s not” I said. Emie started to run around the room. I started to run after her. I finally her and wrapped my arms around her waist and started to tickle her. “Connor, quit it!” Emie cried. She turned around to face me. I leaned in to kiss her. “Brother in the room” Riley said walking in.

I rolled my eyes. “Now he shows up” I mumbled. Emie snickered and hit my arm. “You ready to go?” I asked Riley. Riley nodded. “Courtney and I have been for like an hour” “Then why didn’t you come help me pack up?” I cried. “Because you had Emie” Riley said. I stared at my brother. “You still could have helped and then we would have gotten done quicker and then we wouldn’t be having this conversation now because we would each be doing our own separate things and we’d only be waiting on Thomas and Braiden” I said. “Connor you talk too much!” Riley cried. Emie started laughing. I looked at Riley. “I know that look…” He said. “I’m gonna leave the room now” he said backing out he turned and ran back to his room. I laughed. “Now, where were we?” I asked turning back to Emie. She raised her eyebrows and grinned. She put her arms around my neck. “Right here” She said standing on her toes and kissing me softly.

A knock on the door broke us apart. “You ready to go?” Braiden asked standing in the doorway. “Wait, where’s Thomas and Rachel?” Chiara asked. I held my hand out towards her. “That’s out problem” I said. “Thomas is late” A few minutes later Courtney and Riley walked into the room. “Rachel just called me” Courtney said. “She said that because of traffic Thomas was late getting to her house to pick her up so they’re just going to meet us at the beach. Otherwise everybody would be super late and you guy may not get a chance to perform. Oh and she said Thomas said he was really sorry because he lost the shirt he wanted to wear so he went around the house looking for it which is why he ended up getting stuck in the traffic.” “Well then let’s pack up the stuff and go!” I cried. I grabbed an amp and started walking towards the car.

Riley grabbed his bass and followed. After four trips, thanks to Thomas’ drums, we had the van packed up and were ready for the beach. I drove and Emie rode shotgun next to me. Riley, Braiden, Courtney and Chiara sat in the backseat. Thomas and Rachel go there shortly after we did and this time we had Thomas to help us unpack everything so it went quicker. He quickly set up his drums and we got everything else ready. “Twenty minutes to spare” I said. “I guess we weren’t gonna be too late anyways” “My teachers always have said early is on time, on time is late” Rachel said. “Well, then we’re on time” I said. Somebody got on the stage they had built and started talking. “We’re so glad everybody could come out tonight for the annual Summer Music Festival!” The person said. “For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Jason Camden, my family organizes a lot of these events! If you have any question, comments, complaints, or anything else, come talk to me!” Jason said.

“We’ve got a lot of great bands this week! And tonight, starting off both the week and the festival, Before You Exit!” Jason yelled. People started to clap for us. “Break a leg” Emie whispered. I smiled and kissed her cheek and then we walked onstage. “Hope everyone had a good day today!” I yelled. “We’re Before You Exit, and we’re actually from here in Orlando, Florida. I’m Connor, over on bass is my brother Riley, our friend Braiden on the guitar and our friend Thomas on the drums!” Riley moved forward a bit. “And before we start anything we want to give a big thanks to our girlfriends out there in the…audience for all their love and support! We love you guys!” Riley said pointing out towards the girls. Everybody clapped for them. “And for our first song, we’re going to sing our brand new single, End of the World!” Everybody clapped some more. These people really clap a lot…

“Na na na na na na na. Na na na na na na. Na na na na na na na. Na na na na na na” The four of us sang. Riley started out the first verse. “Hey girl watcha say, why you pushin' me away. Wishin' we were closer, but we're not. Do you want me to go away now, or to stay? You can't have it both ways.” I joined in with him. “You're like a rollercoaster, cause you're up, then you're down. Can't you see? I'm all in; it's just not like me” Thomas and Braiden joined in again. “To want you, want you. Want you to love me like it's our last day, baby. Love me like it's our last day, girl. Want you to love me like it's our last day, baby. Love me like it's the end, love me like it's the end of the world.” Riley stopped singing and Thomas, Braiden and I continued. “Na na na na na na na. Na na na na na na. Na na na na na na na. Na na na na na na.” Riley picked it up again and we stopped. “Hey, girl, what's it take, to get your heart, before mine breaks. I've been giving my all; don't leave me on, to let me fall.” Thomas, Braiden and I joined in once again.
“Can't you see? I'm all in it's just not like me To want you, want you. Want you to love me like it's our last day, baby. Love me like it's our last day, girl. Want you to love me like it's our last day, baby. Love me like it's the end, love me like it's the end of the world.” Thomas and Briaden stopped. “Like it's the end of the world. End of the world” I stopped. “We can't afford to fake it. This is our time to make it. Like it's our last few seconds. Why can't you give us a chance?” Thomas, Braiden, and I started again. “Want you to love me like it's our last day, baby.
Love me like it's our last day, girl. Want you to love me like it's our last day, baby. Love me like it's the end. Love me like it's the end. Want you to love me like it's our last day, baby. Love me like it's our last day, girl. Want you to love me like it's our last day, baby. Love me like it's the end. Love me like it's the end. Love me like it's the end of the world. Na na na na na na na. Na na na na na na. Na na na na na na na. Na na na na na na.” We stopped singing and everyone clapped and cheered and hollered. “This is going better than I thought it would” I said to Riley. Riley nodded. “What song next?” He asked. “Summer Paradise cover” I said.
“We appreciate the love!” I yelled. “Now this next song is originally by Simple Plan and we’ve never covered it before so we hope you guys like it! It’s called Summer Paradise!” I said. “Oh, Oh. Take me back, take me back. Oh yeah, back to summer paradise” Riley started out. “My heart is sinking as I'm lifting up. Above the clouds away from you. And I can't believe I'm leaving. Oh I don't kno-kno-know what I'm gonna do. But someday, I will find my way back. To where your name is written in the sand” Thomas and Braiden joined in. “Cause I remember every sunset. I remember every word you said. We were never gonna say goodbye. Singing la-da-da-da-da. Tell me how to get back to, back to summer paradise with you. And I'll be there in a heartbeat. Oh-oh, I'll be there in a heartbeat. Oh-oh, Tell em!” I took the second verse.
“My soul is broken. Streets are frozen. I can't stop these feelings melting through. And I'd give away a thousand days, oh. Just to have another one with you. What'd you say? Well real life can wait (it can wait). We're crashing like waves (uh-huh). We're playing in the sand (me and you). Holding your hand” Thomas and Braiden joined in again. “Cause I remember every sunset.
I remember every word you said. We were never gonna say goodbye, singing la-da-da-da-da. Tell me how to get back to, back to summer paradise with you. And I'll be there in a heartbeat. Oh-oh. I'll be there in a heartbeat. Oh-oh” Riley continued. “Yeah I remember sunny mornings and summer evenings. Now you're right next to me and I am freezing. Was it real? Oh baby, tell me, was I dreaming? How can you show me paradise? When I'm leaving? Now my heartbeat is sinking, hope's shrinking. When I try to speak no words, lip-syncing. Hope this is not just wishful thinking. Tell me that you care and I'll be there in a heartbeat. Someday, I will find my way back to where your name is written in the sand. Yeah, yeah, yeah, let's go”
Thomas, Braiden and Riley joined in. “Cause I remember every sunset. I remember every word you said. We were never gonna say goodbye. Singing la-da-da-da-da. Tell me how to get back to, back to summer paradise with you. And I'll be there in a heartbeat” Riley took the last part of the song. “I remember when we first kissed. How I didn't wanna leave your lips. And how I've never ever felt so high. Singing La-da-da-da-da” Thomas, Briaden, and I joined in on the last part of the chorus. “Tell me how to get back to, back to summer paradise with you. And I'll be there in a heartbeat. Oh-oh. I'll be there in a heartbeat (summer paradise). Oh-oh. I'll be there in a heartbeat.” We stopped singing and everyone erupted in claps and cheers. Jason came back up. “Before You Exit everybody!” He yelled. Everybody screamed some more and the guys and I left the stage. While people took down our instruments and loaded them into our van Jason came up to us.
“That was great guys” He said shaking our hands. “Now introduce me to the girls” He said. I gave him a look. “Don’t worry; I won’t take them from you. I’m 25 years old” He said. “I just mean, introduce them to me because your brother over here gave that whole big thanks thing to them” “Oh okay!” I said. “Then this is my girl Emie” I said wrapping my arms around her tightly. I kissed her cheek and she shook Jason’s hand. “This is my beloved Courtney” Riley said putting his arm around her shoulder. Courtney smiled and shook Jason’s hand. Chiara shook Jason’s hand before Braiden said anything. “Meet Chiara, my amazing girlfriend” Braiden said smiling as he took her hand. “And this is?” Jason asked standing in front of Rachel. “The love of my life” Thomas said. Rachel blushed. “We’re going on three years now” “And my name is Rachel” Rachel added. “Oh yeah… I forgot to mention that” Thomas said. Rachel laughed and kissed Thomas and then shook Jason’s hand.
“Well it nice to meet everyone and you guys were amazing but now I must go” Jason said. He shook our hands once again and turned around and walked away. “Can we go now? I’m ready to party like it’s not my birthday” Rachel said. “But it’s not your birthday” Chiara said. “Exactly” Rachel said. “Alright, let’s head to my house. I just hope we get there before Toby and Emily do” I said. “Emily went on vacation, remember?” Courtney said. “Oh yeah…” I said. “That’s why Toby went to the movies with his friends today” Riley added. Courtney nodded. “Let’s go though” Emie said. “Please. I want to lie down and watch a movie and be lazy” She said. “With the love of my life” She added mocking Thomas. “Hey, I just tell it how it is” He said. Rachel laughed and took his hand. She started dragging him to the car. “We will see you at your house” She said. “Well, I guess I’m leaving now” Thomas said. He followed Rachel to the car.
“I swear you couldn’t cut those two apart with a machete” Emie said. “Let’s not even try” I said giving her a worried look. “I’m just saying they’re inseparable” Emie said. “She’s not wrong” Chiara said. “They do everything together” Braiden added. “And so do we” Riley added. “He’s right too…” Courtney said. I laughed. “I guess we’re all inseparable” I said. “I guess we are” Emie said smiling and taking my hand. “Now let’s get to your house. I want to cuddle up with you and Tank” Emie said squeezing my hand. I blushed and we started walking to the car. “Shotgun!” Riley yelled. “Oh heck no!” Emie cried. She and Riley bolted off towards the car. I chuckled. If they’re like this now. I thought. I wonder what it will be like when they’re in-laws. Braiden, Chiara and I got to the van and Riley was on the ground and Emie was sitting on him.
“Babe, get off my brother” I said holding out my hand. Emie took my hand and stood up. “He was going to take my seat” She said. “That couldn’t happen” I laughed and unlocked the door. “Connor your girlfriend weighs a ton” Riley said. Emie smacked him on the arm. “Ow! I was just joking!” Riley cried. Emie hit him again. “OW! What was it for this time?” “Because I wanted to hit you” Emie said. Riley rolled his eyes and got into the car. Courtney, Chiara, and Braiden slid in next to him. They’re going to drive me crazy once they’re in-laws. I thought. I looked over at Emie while she laughed. And back at Riley while he sulked about being hit. But maybe that’s not such a bad thing. I thought.

Connor’s POV

There was a knock at the door and I jumped up to get it. “Chiara! Happy birthday!” I cried. Chiara smiled. “Thanks Connor!” She cried. I let her come in and she walked in and sat down next to Braiden on the couch. “Happy birthday, babe” He said smiling. Chiara smiled. “Thank you babe” She said. She gave him a kiss and snuggled up next to him. “It’s movie, night, right?” She asked. I nodded. The door opened again and Toby walked in. “What’s wrong Toby?” I asked. “I miss Emily…” He said quietly. “It’s been a week and a half since I last saw her. WHERE IS MY GIRLFRIEND?!” Toby yelled. “Toby! Relax!” Rachel cried. “You don’t know what this is like!” Toby cried. “Actually, I do” Rachel said. “Need I remind you I had to go a month without seeing or speaking to Thomas” “It was hell” Thomas said. Rachel elbowed him. “I’m sorry it was terrible” He said.

“Toby, go up to your room for a little bit, relax and then come back down and I’m sure everything will be all better” Rachel said. “Yeah, whatever” Toby said. Toby turned and walked upstairs. I heard a door open and then slam and then Toby screamed. Then I heard laughing. But it was a girl… “Emily’s up there, isn’t she?” I asked. Emie nodded. “Courtesy of Rachel and I” She said smiling. “We didn’t like seeing Toby so upset! And we called Emily and she said she was coming home early anyways because he mom got sick and whenever Riley went to go pick up Courtney and you went to go get Braiden and Thomas, Emie left to get Emily and then she got back like five minutes before you guys did. We had just enough time to get Emily upstairs and for us to get back downstairs before you guys came inside” Rachel explained.

“Isn’t she the best?” Thomas said smiling and hugging Rachel. “Don’t forget Emie” I said. “Yeah but she’s your girlfriend. It’s your job to say she’s the best” Thomas said. “True…” I said. I hugged Emie. “You’re the best too” I said smiling. Emie blushed and kissed my cheek. Braiden started to say something but Toby came bounding down the steps with Emily. “Alright, who did this?” He asked. Thomas pointed at Rachel and I pointed at Emie. “It was all them” I said. “Come here” Toby said. He walked into the kitchen. Hesitantly Rachel and Emie got up and followed him. “You guys are the best!” Toby cried, awfully loud at that. He gave them a hug and then they came back into the den. “So, movie night?” Emily asked sitting down on the floor next to Toby. “Yeah it is” Riley said. “After one thing” Courtney said. She jumped up and ran into the kitchen and came back with a cake. “Happy birthday, Chiara! From all us” She said smiling. Chiara smiled and blew out the candles and we cut up the cake and ate while we watched a movie. This summer really has been the best summer ever.

Rachel’s POV

“Thomas, where are we going?” I asked. “You’ll see” Thomas said grinning. I rolled my eyes. “Why won’t you ever tell me where you’re taking me? You’re worse than Connor!” I cried. Thomas laughed. “I know I am. And I refuse to tell you so it will be a surprise” Thomas said. I looked at him. “Tell me or I won’t talk to you anymore” I said. “Babe, you and I both know that that will never happen” He said. “Darn it… you’re right” I said. “So are you going to tell me?” “Nope” Thomas said. “You have to wait and see where we’re going. We’ll be there in like five minutes though so just be patient and then you’ll get to see where I’m taking you” “Why are we doing this anyways?” I asked. “Well, last night was movie night and tonight is date night. So that’s why we’re doing this” He said.

“You’re not taking me to Jimmy Johns or Chipotle are you?” I asked. Thomas shook his head. “For once, no I am not” He said laughing. We pulled into a parking lot and Thomas backed into the parking spot. He jumped out of the car and came over to my side and opened my door. I got out of the car and Thomas shut the door and took my hand. “A park?” I asked. Thomas nodded. “We’re going to take a walked on the trail” Thomas said. “How is this a date?” I asked. “Do you not recognize it?” Thomas asked. I shook my head. “Take a look around” He said. “Take in the scenery” I looked around trying to recall what it was. I looked past the playground and to the fountain. I looked down the trail and to all the trees. And then it hit me. “Oh my gosh! Thomas!” I cried.

Thomas smiled. “You know what it is now, don’t you?” he asked. I nodded. “This was the park we went to for our very first date” I said. “My dad wouldn’t let you take me anywhere else so we went to the park and walked around the lake!” Thomas nodded and took my hand. We started walking down the trail. “And here’s the tree I carved our initials in whenever you weren’t looking” Thomas said. I looked over at the tree and sure enough there was a TS+RC carved in a heart on the tree. “Why whenever I wasn’t looking?” I asked. “I thought you might get mad at me for “drawing” on a tree” Thomas said. “Plus I kinda loved you already… which is why it was in a heart and I didn’t want you to think I was weird for that” “Kinda loved me?” I asked. “Okay I loved you a lot… not near as much as I do now but I did love you a lot then too” Thomas said.

I smiled and squeezed his hand. “Well, I loved you then too. I fell for you the very first day I met you. That’s why I started acting all weird and why I said things like ‘You’re short’ and I wanted you to ask me out but you never did! And when it came to you, I was just way too shy to ask you out myself.” I said. “Well you should have” Thomas said. “Yeah, then maybe it would have only been one year instead of three” I teased. “Hey” Thomas said. “I was eleven, and I couldn’t work up the nerve to ask you” Thomas said. “Dude, I went to the eighth grade dance with Connor because of you” I said. “Yes, I do love Connor because he is my best friend and all but I would have rather gone with you!” “I went alone” Thomas said. “I know, you spent most the night with Braiden” I said. Thomas nodded. “I wish I had spent it with you” He said. “Well next time you shouldn’t wait three years to ask a girl out” I said.

“Next time?” Thomas asked. “There won’t be a next time because we won’t break up” “So you plan on dating the rest of our lives and not getting married?” I asked. “Are you implying that you want to get married?” Thomas asked. We stopped walking and he turned to face me. “Maybe I am, maybe I’m not” I said. Thomas pushed the hair out of my eyes and held my face in his hands. “You’re really beautiful, you know that?” He said. I blushed. “No I’m not” I said. Thomas nodded. “Yes, you are” He said. “I wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t true” I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck. We just stood there staring at each other. Thomas’ skin looked so soft and silky shining under the silver moonlight. His eyes were shining like a thousand diamonds.

“I think someone stole the stars and out them in your eyes” Thomas said. I smiled. “Thomas, you don’t have to use pick-up lines on me” I said. “You already have me” Thomas grabbed my waist and pulled me close to him. I could feel his heart beating through his shirt. “It’s not a line, I actually mean it” Thomas said. “Your eyes just shine so brightly” He pulled me a little closer. “I know I have you” he said. “We should keep it that way” I laughed. “I plan to” I said. “Good” Thomas said. I smiled and pressed my forehead against his. “I love you, Thomas” I whispered. Thomas kissed me softly. “I love you too” Thomas said. Thomas took my hand again and we started walking back to the car. “My leg really hurts” I said holding it. “I can solve that problem” Thomas said.

Thomas picked me up and started to carry me bridal style. I wrapped my arms around his neck so I didn’t fall. “Thomas, what are you doing?!” I cried. “You said your leg hurt, so I’m carrying you to the car” He said. I laughed. “Oh my gosh, you are so, so, I don’t even know” I said. Thomas grinned. “I’m indescribable” He said. “That you are my man, that you are” I said. I kissed his cheek. We got to the car and Thomas opened my door. He put me down and I turned around to face him. “I love you babe” I said. Thomas grinned and kissed me again. “I love you more” He said. I got into the car and he shut the door and then got into the car himself. I smiled. “This was definitely the best date night ever” I said. Thomas smiled. “That’s what happens at Perfection Park” he said. “Perfection Park” I said. “I like the sound of that” Thomas leaned over and kissed me one more time before starting the car and taking me home. I don’t care what anyone says. I am going to marry that boy someday.

Chiara’s POV

“Date night is always my favorite time of the week” I said getting into Braiden’s car. “Mine too” He said smiling. “Because I get to spend time with you” I smiled and leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Where are we going?” I asked. “And why couldn’t I eat anything after 5 o’clock?” “I’m talking you out to dinner” Braiden said. “Where are we going though?” I asked. “Italian” Braiden said. “A new place, I saved up enough money to take you” “Braiden…” I said. “You’re not going to blow all your money on me, are you?” Braiden shook his head. “I just want to do something special for you” He said smiling. I smiled and stared out the window. “Everything is so pretty outside at night” I said. “Now that all the rain stopped anyways” Braiden said. I nodded. “All that rain was doing more harm than help” I said. “But rain makes for good song writing weather” Braiden said.

“Hey, you never told me where we were going” I said remembering my earlier question. “I told you, we’re going to an Italian restaurant” Braiden said. “I know that but which one?” I asked. “One we haven’t been to before” Braiden said. “Braiden Montgomery Wood! Tell me where we’re going now!” I cried. “See for yourself” Braiden said pointing to the sign as we pulled into the parking lot. I rolled my eyes. “You did that on purpose” I said. Braiden smiled. “Maybe I did, maybe I didn’t” Braiden got out of the car and came and opened my door. “Maggiano’s” I read. Braiden nodded. “My parents have been here before and they said it’s really good!” Braiden said. He took my hand and we walked inside.

“Do you have a reservation?” The man at the front podium thing asked. “Yes sir, it’s under Wood” He said. “Ah yes, table for two, correct?” The man asked. Braiden nodded. “Right this way” A short, skinny lady said holding two menus. Braiden and I followed her to a booth and we sat down. “Hi, I’m Becca and I’ll be your waitress this evening. What can I get you to drink?” “Just some water” Braiden said. “And for the lady?” Becca asked turning towards me. “Water as well, please” I said. Becca nodded and turned around and walked away. “These ladies here make me feel self-conscious…” I said quietly. “Why?” Braiden asked. “You should make them feel that way. You’re the most beautiful girl in the room” I blushed. “Aww Braiden” I said. Becca brought back our waters and set them on the table. “Are you ready to order?” She asked. Braiden looked at me. “I think so” I said.

Becca took out her pen and writing pad and looked at us. “Would you like an appetizer?” Becca asked. “Not tonight” Braiden said. “Alright, well, just order when you’re ready” Becca said. “I’ll take the Chicken Saltimbocca” I said. “And for you, sir?” Becca asked turning towards Braiden. “I’ll take the Chicken Parmesan” Braiden said. Becca nodded and wrote it down on the pad. She took our menus. “Alright, I’ll be back shortly” Becca said. “Braiden, are you sure you can afford this place?” I asked. “Everything was awfully expensive…” “I got it, don’t worry” He said. “Besides, it’s for your special day, so it’s completely worth it” I smiled. “I love you” I said. “I love you too” Braiden said. He leaned across the table and gave me a kiss. “What made you want to take me here?” I asked.

“Well like I said whenever we pulled in, my parents have been here and they said it was really good” Braiden said. “And besides that I knew you liked Italian food so that was at the top of my list for restaurants to take you to. And I wanted to take you to one you hadn’t ever been to before, and then I remembered my parents talking about this place so I thought hey, why not take you here! And so that’s exactly what I did…” “Good enough for me” I said laughing. Braiden smiled. Gosh… That boy is so perfect. How did God fit so much perfect into one person? “I’m not perfect” Braiden said as if he was reading my mind. “I’m just good at being me” I smiled. “Well, you’re perfect in my eyes” I said. Braiden blushed and looked down at the table.

“Here’s your food” Becca said coming back to the table. “Would you like any cheese on it?” I shook my head. “No thank you” Braiden said. See, he’s just so polite. “Well, enjoy” Becca said. “Thank you” I said. Becca turned and walked away to go take another table’s order. “I feel a little weird being here” I said taking a bit of my food. “Why is that?” Braiden asked swallowing his food. “We’re the youngest ones in here” I said. “And it just feels weird” “Don’t worry about it” Braiden said. “You should care about what others think. Or at least not people in here. These people don’t matter, they don’t know you and they don’t know me. Well, except for Mr. Brown because he’s an old friend of my parents. The only people who matter are myself, and the rest of your friends. That’s it” Braiden said.

I smiled. “Thanks Braiden” Is aid. “You always know how to make me feel better” Braiden smiled and wrapped his ankles around mine underneath the table. “How did I get so lucky?” I asked. “How did I get so lucky to be dating the most handsome, perfect, angelic man ever” Braiden smiled. “You’re not the lucky on, I am” he said. I blushed. I don’t understand why he says he’s the lucky one but I’ll let him believe it anyways. Becca came back to the table. “Are you finished?” She asked. I nodded and she took our plates. “Would you like dessert?” She asked. “We’ll pass” I said. Becca started to walk away. “Actually” Braiden said. Becca turned back around and Braiden whispered something in her ear. She smiled and nodded and walked away.

A few minutes later Becca came back with a piece of cake and two forks. She set it down on the table. “One piece of Chocolate Zuccotto Cake” Becca said. “May I ask what that is?” I asked. “It’s Chocolate cake layered with Sambuca chocolate mousse, iced with chocolate frosting and dusted with cocoa powder, and quiet delicious” She said smiling. “It sounds amazing” I said. “Enjoy” She said. “Oh, and happy birthday!” She added. “Thank you” I said smiling. “Your welcome” Becca said. She smiled and then walked away. “You did this, didn’t you?” I asked turning towards Braiden. He smiled. “Hey, I had to do something even more special for you” Braiden said. “Aww” I said. I smiled. “You’re the best” I said. Braiden smiled and took my hands. “I just love you so much” He said staring into my eyes. I smiled. “I love you too” I said. Braiden leaned across the table and gave me a kiss. “Happy birthday, babe” He said. I smiled. “Thank you very much” I said. Like I said before, best boyfriend ever.

Emie’s POV

“Connor, why are we going to the mall?” I asked. “We have to get you a dress for the Summer Dance” I looked at Connor. “Um… Connor… I don’t usually do things like that with guys…” I said. “It scares me a little bit that you want to be here” “Alright, alright” Connor said. “You caught me, that’s not why we’re here” “Then why are we here?” I asked. “It’s date night” Connor said. “And why are we at the mall instead of somewhere else?” I asked. Connor sighed. “I don’t even know” he said. “I couldn’t think of anywhere else to go… since I wanted to do something the other guys weren’t doing” I looked at Connor. “I’m sorry Emie… don’t hate me” He said. “Connor, I love you, I couldn’t never hate you even if I wanted to” I said. Connor smiled. “I love you” He said kissing my cheek. “I know” I said. Connor laughed. “So, what are we gonna do?” Connor asked. I grinned. “I think I have a plan” I said.

“What is that?” Connor asked. I laughed and rubbed my hands together. “You’ll see” I said. Connor looked at me. “Emie, that look in your eyes scares me” “No worries” I said. I kissed Connor’s cheek and grabbed his hand and ran off. I looked at all the stores and pulled Connor into one for them. “We’re going shopping?” Connor asked. “Sort of” I said. “I’m lost…” Connor said. I looked up and down the racks of clothing. I handed Connor a pair of khaki shorts and a tannish tee shirt that read ‘Pugs Not Drugs’ and had a little pug sticking its tongue out. “What on Earth…?” Connor said. “Go try it on” I said. “Why?” Connor asked. “Because I said so” I said. Connor looked at me. “We pick out weird or crazy outfits for each other and we have to try them on” I said. Connor stared at me and blinked.

“Alright, I’m gonna go Emily on you” I said. “What?” Connor asked. “YOLO!” I yelled. “Do it now!” Connor started laughing. “Alright, alright. I’ll try it on” Connor took the clothes and went into the dressing room. He put it on and then stepped out. As soon as he stepped out I started laughing. “Oh my gosh. Connor, that is, that is the best” I said. I was laughing so hard I was crying. “You look ridiculous!” I cried. “Picture time” I took out my phone to take a picture. “NoNoNo!” Connor cried. He ducked back into the changing room and changed back into his actual clothes. “Alright my turn” Connor said handing me back the clothes he tried on. I put them back where I got them from and Connor looked for ones for me to try. “Here try this” Connor said handing me a shirt.

It was brown and read ‘Dyslexics are teople poo’ “Connor, I’m not trying that on” I said. “I am dyslexic” “Oh my gosh, Emie! I’m so sorry!” Connor cried. “It slipped my mind, I’ll find another one” Connor said putting the shirt back. “Here” Connor said. He handed me a yellow shirt that read ‘Stop reading my shirt’ and a black pair of pants. “Alright…” I said. I went to the dressing room and put them on. “Wait Connor” I said. “Try on the shirt next to that one” I said. This one was a white shirt that read ‘I am disappointment in you’re grammar’ “Really Emie?” Connor asked laughing. “Yes, really, now do it” I said. Connor put on the shirt and we stepped out of the changing room at the same time. We got a good look at each other and started laughing. “Alright, no more” Connor said. “This was fun but I refuse to do it again” I laughed and we changed into our clothes and hung the ones we tried on back up.

“That actually wasn’t too bad” Connor said as he took my hand when we walked out of the store. “You know, tonight was actually a pretty fun date night” I said. Connor nodded and smiled. “But any date would be fun as long as I’m with you” He said. I smiled. “I love you ConCon” I said. Connor rolled his eyes. “I love you too” He said. Connor wrapped his arms around me and gave me a kiss. “Yup” He said. “I love you too”

Courtney’s POV

I was getting ready to go out with Riley whenever there was a knock on the door. “It’s open” I yelled from my room. I heard the door open and shut. “I’m here” Riley yelled. “Alright, I’ll be out in a minute!” I called. I finished fixing my hair and did my makeup. I walked back into my bedroom and looked at myself in the full length mirror. My long hair was up in a loose bun and two strands of hair were down and curled, one on the left and one on the right. I wore a long, silky, light blue dress. I walked out from my bedroom to the living room to find Riley. “Courtney!” Riley cried. “What?!” I cried. “Do I have something on my face?” “No!” Riley cried. “Then what is it?” I asked.

“You look gorgeous” Riley said. I blushed. “Thank you” I said. Then I smacked his arm. “But don’t say my name like that again!” I cried. “I thought something was wrong” “Well… something is wrong” Riley said. “Aww come on…” I said. “I wanted tonight to be perfect” “It will be” Riley said. “Just in a different way than we had originally planned” We got into the car and drove to his house. Once we got there we went inside and went up to his room. “The bad news is that I couldn’t get us into the dance place we were actually going to go to” Riley said. “So how will tonight still be perfect?” I asked. “Because, we’re going to dance right here, right now, in my room” Riley said. “How is that perfect though?” I asked. Riley looked at me. “Because it’s you and me” He said. “And that’s all we need”

I smiled. “Riley Thomas McDonough, you are perfect” I said. Riley smiled. “I know” Riley said jokingly. I handed Riley my iPod and he plugged it into his docking station. The first song that came on was You and Me by Lifehouse. “May I have this dance?” Riley asked holding out his hand. I smiled. “Yes you may” I said. I took his hand and then he put his hands on my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. What day is it? And in what month? This clock never seemed so alive. I can't keep up and I can't back down. I've been losing so much time. Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do, nothing to lose. And it's you and me and all other people, and I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you. “I can’t keep my eyes off of you” Riley said. “Seriously, I’m not just repeating the lyrics… You’re just so beautiful” I smiled. “Thank you, Riley” I said.
One of the things that I want to say just aren't coming out right. I'm tripping on words, you've got my head spinning, I don't know where to go from here. Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do, nothing to prove. And it's you and me and all other people. And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you. There's something about you now, I can't quite figure out, everything she does is beautiful, everything she does is right. Riley looked at me. “I think this song was written for you” He said. I shook my head. “No…” I said. “Nothing I do is beautiful” “Courtney don’t say that” Riley said. “You are beautiful, inside and out… you may have made some mistakes but we all do every now and then… but in my eyes, in my eyes you’re perfect” I smiled. “Thank you Riley… you always know how to make me feel better” I said.
Riley smiled. Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do nothing to lose. And it's you and me and all other people. And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you. And me and all other people with nothing to do, nothing to prove. And it's you and me and all other people, and I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you. What day is it? And in what month? This clock never seemed so alive. The song stopped and Riley just stood there holding me and staring into my eyes. “I really love you, you know that?” He asked. I nodded. “No… like really” He said. “I have never loved anyone as much as I love you… these past few years have been the best years of my entire life” I could see tears staring to form in Riley’s eyes.
“Riley, don’t cry…” I said. “I should be the one crying…” “Go ahead” Riley said. “You’re even perfect when you cry” “Riley, listen to me” I said. “Don’t cry. Please don’t cry… This night was perfect even though we’re here in your room instead of on an actual dance floor. This night couldn’t have been any better” Riley smiled and kissed me softly. “I love you, Courtney” Riley said. I smiled. “I love you too, Riley”

Emily’s POV

“Thanks for the ride Mrs. McDonough” I said smiling up at Joan from the back seat. Mrs. McDonough smiled. “It’s not a problem, dear” She said. “What are you and Mr. McDonough going to do?” I asked. “Oh I’m thinking we’ll stay there with you and Toby” She said jokingly. “Mom! No! Don’t do it!” Toby cried. I put my hand on his arm. “Toby, she was joking” I said quietly. “Oh… I knew that” Toby said. I laughed. “Sure you do” I teased. “We’re going to go see a movie” Mr. McDonough said. “Who’s picking us up?” Toby asked. “Riley and Courtney, I believe” Mrs. McDonough said. She pulled into the parking lot of Laser Quest. Toby opened the door and jumped out of the car and I slid out after him. Mr. McDonough rolled his window down. “Stay safe you two” Mrs. McDonough said. “Mom, I’m fourteen!” Toby cried. “You’re still my baby” Mrs. McDonough said. “Mom, not in front of Emily” Toby said. I snickered and tried to hide it.

“Alright, have fun you two” Mr. McDonough said. “Bye, thanks again for the ride” I said. Mr. McDonough smiled and then Mrs. McDonough left Toby and I standing on the sidewalk. Toby and I walked up to the door and he opened it. “Ladies first” He said smiling. I smiled and walked inside. We got inside and paid for our tickets and Toby took my hand. “Do you know how to play? The rules and all” The ticket dude asked. “Yeah, so don’t waste your time explaining them” I said. Toby and I walked through the doors and started to put the uniform, for lack of a better word, on. Once we walked in every guy in the entire place turned and stared at me. “Why are they staring at me?” I whispered to Toby. “Because you’re so beautiful” Toby said. “Aww Toby, you’re so sweet” I said. “Or maybe it’s because I’m the only girl in here” Toby looked around. “You’re right, but I like my reason better” he said.

“Yes!” I yelled. “Yes, I am a girl! And yes I am standing right here! So stop staring!” Nobody stopped staring at us. “Maybe this will work” I said. I leaned over and kissed Toby smack on the lips. I grinned and Toby blushed. “I’m taken!” I yelled. “So stop staring!” Toby laughed and wrapped his arms around me. “Yup, she’s all mine!” Toby yelled. “So stop staring!” Everyone else finally stopped staring and went back to their game and Toby and I finished getting ready. Once we finished we sat on the bench and waited for a new game. “This is going to be fun” Toby said. I grinned. “But you better watch out McDonough, I’m competitive and I roll around like a ninja and stuff!” I said. Toby laughed. “I’m not kidding” I said. “You’re girlfriend is a ninja” Toby smiled and kissed my cheek. “Well them I’m looking forward to seeing your ninja moves” He said.

The bell rung to end the game that was going on and Toby and I hoped up to join the next. “Ninja, I tell you. Ninja” Toby laughed. “We’ll just see about that” He said. We joined the other people on the court or whatever it’s called. “I’m ready to whoop some ass” I said. Toby looked at me. “Oops. I mean butt” I said. The bell rang and everyone scattered around. Someone shot at me and I ducked rolled across the floor. “Ninja, Toby, ninja!” I yelled. Toby laughed and someone else shot at me again and I ducked. “Ha ha you missed me!” I yelled. Someone else shot me from the back. “Ha ha I didn’t!” The kid yelled. Toby looked over at me. “Ninja, huh?” He said. “Shut up Tobsters!” I yelled. “Tobsters?” Toby asked. I nodded. “That’s my new nickname for you” I said. Toby rolled his eyes. Someone else shot me from the back again. “Ha ha I didn’t miss again!” The kid snickered.

“You’re annoying!” I yelled. “You’re stupid!” He yelled. “What the heck?!” I cried. “That doesn’t even make sense with what I said!” “You don’t make sense!” He yelled. “Ah, so you’re a smartass, I see!” I yelled back. He shot at me again but this time I dodged it and rolled across the floor. “Missed me, missed me” I taunted. “Now I get to kiss you” He said. “The hell you won’t!” I cried. “I have a boyfriend” “Sure you do, where is he?” The guy asked. He shot at me again and I tried to dodge it but I tripped. My jacket lit up really bright and then went off. “Dang it… I died” I said. “You killed my girlfriend” Toby said. “So?” The guy asked. “That’s what you’re supposed to do, stupid” The kid said. Toby started shooting everywhere and he shot the kid right when two other people did. “Now you’re dead!” Toby yelled. Toby starting shooting everyone around him. The bell rang and Toby stood there breathing heavily. I got up and walked over to him.

“You okay?” I asked. He nodded. “I need some water though” He said. I laughed. “After all that, I would to” I said. “Who’s the ninja now?” Toby asked. I stuck my tongue out at Toby. “I would have still been the ninja if I had tripped” I said. “Mhm, sure” Toby teased. “Riley should me here shortly, let’s go outside” I said. Toby nodded and took my hand. We walked outside and sat on the bench outside. “I had fun” I said smiling. Toby smiled. “Me too, it was interesting” He said. I shivered. “It’s surprisingly cold for summer in Orlando…” I said. Toby wrapped me up in his jacket and wrapped his arms around me. I put my head on his chest and pulled my legs up on the bench behind me. “Next week though, we’re doing something totally new” I said. “Sounds like a plan to me” Toby said smiling. He’s got the cutest smile. Toby kissed my head. “I love you, Emily” He said quietly. I looked up at him. “I love you too, Toby” I said.

A car pulled up and the passenger side window rolled down. “C’mon, get in the car” Connor said from the driver’s side. “I thought Riley was picking us up” Toby said. “Well he was going to but his plans with Courtney changed. He couldn’t get the tickets or whatever it was that he needed to take her dancing so they just went home and hung out there. We’re all going back to our house. The girls will just stay over in my room and I’ll stay in Riley’s room tonight. Since they all have clothes there for one reason or another they’ll have clothes for tomorrow. And Braiden and Thomas will be at the house with Chiara and Rachel shortly too” Connor explained. “Why exactly are we doing this?” I asked as Toby and I got into the car. “Mainly because Riley doesn’t want to go out again to take Courtney home and Courtney doesn’t want to go home” Connor said. “Oh well that makes sense” I said. “After tonight, I don’t wanna go either” I said looking up at Toby. Toby smiled.

“I’m lying down now though… because I’m tired” I said. I put on my seatbelt and then fixed it to where I could still lie down but have it on. I put my head on Toby’s lap and he started playing with my hair. Emie looked back at us. “They’re so cute” She whispered to Connor. Connor nodded. “They really are” He said. I smiled. Toby leaned his head on the window. “I’m glad Toby has finally found someone” Connor said. “And I’m glad it’s Emily, I haven’t met many girls sweeter than she is. She’s perfect for him” I took Toby’s other hand and intertwined my fingers in his. “You should hear how he talks about her” Connor said. “You can tell by the sound of his voice and the way he smiles so big when he talks about her that he really loves her” I looked up at Toby who had his eyes closed but he was smiling.
“I really love him too” I said. Saying the first thing I had said since I got into the car. “Emily, I thought you were asleep” Connor said. “Nope… just relaxing” I said. “So you heard what I said?” Connor asked. “Yeah…” I said. “Well then I have one more thing to add” Connor said. I waited for him to start talking again. “Thanks for being there for Toby” He said. “He really loves you and he deserves someone who’s as perfect for him as you are” I smiled and squeezed Toby’s hand. “I wouldn’t leave him for the world” I said. “I love him too much to do so…” Connor smiled. “Good” He said. “Because he’d be heartbroken if you did and none of us would be able to stand to see him that way” “Well, we have nothing to worry about… because I’m never going to break his heart” I said. Toby mumbled something in his sleep and moved a little bit. Connor and Emie may not have understood it, but I did. He said “I love you”

Rachel’s POV

Thomas and I got back to the McDonough house just shortly before Braiden, Chiara, Connor, Emie, Toby, and Emily. Connor unlocked the door and we all went inside. Riley and Courtney were lying cuddled up in their pajamas on the couch watching TV. “You’re back” Courtney said. “It’s about time” Riley added. “Hey, I had to pick up Toby and Emily, because you were too lazy to go back out” Connor said. “Whatever, don’t care” I said. “Connor are my clothes still in your drawer?” Connor nodded. “Emie’s are too” He said. I grabbed Emie’s hand and pulled her upstairs with me. “Emily, Chiara, come on!” I yelled down. The two of them followed us up the stairs. “Em, yours should be in the lowest drawer on the right side of Riley’s dresser” I said. “Chiara, you’re should be there too” Emily and Chiara went across the hall to Riley’s room and I handed Emie her pajamas and took my out. Emie went to the bathroom to change and I started looking at the pictures on Connor’s dresser.

“It’s baby us” Connor said coming up behind me. I jumped. “Yeah” I said smiling. “And four other pictures of us” Connor shrugged and smiled. “I gotta have pictures of my best friend” He said. “I like this one though” I said. I held up a picture of Connor and Emie from when they first started dating. Connor had his arms wrapped around her from behind and they both had the biggest smiles on their faces. “I don’t” Emie said walking back in. “I look like a poe---” “Don’t say it” Connor and I said together. Emie laughed. “Alright, I won’t say anything” She said. “Good” I said smiling and walking into the bathroom. I put on my pajamas and went back downstairs. Thomas, Braiden, Connor and Toby were all already changed. “When did you guys even change?” I asked. “Well, I have my room…” Toby said. “And I used Riley’s and Connor has his” Thomas said. “And I used the other bathroom” Braiden said. I shook my head and sat down on the couch next to Thomas. He put his arm around me and hugged me tightly.

Chiara and Emily came back downstairs and Chiara sat next to Braiden and Emie and Connor on the other couch. Toby and Emily shared the chair. How…? I have no idea; because it looked quite uncomfortable to me. I don’t think Thomas and I would have fit and we’re both just over 5 feet tall… “So what are we gonna do now?” Chiara asked. “I vote for a movie” Thomas said. “I second that” Emie said. “What movie though?” Riley asked. “Chronicle” I said. “Sounds good to me” Connor said. Riley changed channels on the TV and put it on one of those fancy movie channels where you can start the movie over at any point. I snuggled up closer to Thomas and put my head on his shoulder. “Thanks for a great night” I whispered. Thomas smiled. “No problem” He said. “I had fun too” “You’re perfect” I said hugging Thomas tightly. “But don’t let that go to your head” I joked. “I won’t, I won’t” Thomas said.

I leaned over and gave him a kiss. “I love you” I said. Thomas smiled. “I love you too” He said. “Hey, you said you wanted this movie” Riley said. “So watch it” I kissed Thomas again and then stuck my tongue out at Riley. “No making out in the den” Riley said. “No comment” I said. “Saying no comment means that you’re making a comment” He said. I looked at him. “You better shut your mouth before I come over there and close it for you” Riley stuck his tongue out at me but then stopped talking. “You have quit a way with guys…” Thomas said. I laughed. “Shut up” I said. Thomas rolled his eyes. “Hey, I got you didn’t I?” I asked. “You fell for me” Thomas smiled. “On the first day I met you” “Aww babe, I love you” I said. Thomas smiled and kissed me again. “I love you too” He said.
Connor’s POV

“So, was date night a success?” I asked. Emie nodded. “It was fun” She said smiling. “I’m going to buy you that grammar shirt” “Aww Emie, don’t do that” I said. “Yes! You are the grammar Nazi. So I will do it.” Emie said. I laughed. “Alright, alright” I said. “But don’t bet on my wearing it out in public” “Aww but that takes all the fun out of it” Emie teased. “One second, Rachel and Riley are arguing again” I said. “Riley Thomas McDonough! Stop arguing with Rachel! Hush up.” Riley turned and looked at me and then went back to arguing with Rachel. “What am I going to do with that boy?” I asked. Emie shrugged. “I haven’t the slightest idea…” She said. “Maybe you should make him join debate team” Chiara said. “He sure likes to argue” “That’s not a bad idea…” I said.

“Once school starts back, I’m gonna convince him to join” I said. “Smart choice” Emie said. “Hopefully he won’t argue about it” “Ha ha very funny” I said sarcastically. Emie laughed. “I thought it was” She said. I rolled my eyes and poked Emie’s stomach. “Don’t do that!” She cried. “It tickles” I stopped tickling her and wrapped my arms around her. She moved closer to me and laid her head on my chest. “Wait one second” I said. I got up and went into the kitchen and grabbed a water bottle and came back and sat on the floor. “Come, come” I said patting the floor next to me. Emie slid off the couch and sat down next to me. She put her head back on my chest and I put my arm around her back. I squeezed her tightly. “I love you Emie” I whispered. I leaned over and kissed Emie softly.

Emie put her arms around my neck. “I said no making out in the den” Riley said interrupting us. Emie rolled her eyes. “Shut up, Riley!” She cried. “Make me, Emie!” Riley snapped back. Emie grabbed a pillow off the couch and threw it at Riley he ducked and it hit Courtney. “Courtney! I’m so sorry!” Emie cried. Courtney laughed. “No big deal” She said. “It was Riley’s fault” Courtney looked up at Riley and stuck her tongue out. The two of them started arguing some and I turned back to Emie. “What were we talking about?” I asked. Emie grinned and leaned in and gave me a kiss. A pillow hit her and she turned and glared at Riley. She shook her head and kissed me again. “I love you, Emie” I whispered. Emie smiled. “I love you too, Connor”
Chiara’s POV

“Why does Riley argue so much?” I asked Braiden. Braiden shrugged. “I wish I knew babe, I wish I knew…” He said. Connor and Emie moved off the couch so I moved over a little bit and Braiden laid down and then I laid down next to him. Braiden put his arm around me and grabbed his other hand. He looked over at me and smiled. Braiden hugged me tightly. “So, did you have fun tonight?” He asked. I nodded. “Probably the best night ever” I said. “And that cake was so good!” Braiden laughed. “I thought you’d like it” He said. “That’s why I asked for Becca to bring it to us” I smiled. “You’re so sweet” I said. “And, since it was you’re birthday dinner, she didn’t charge me for it” “Really?” I asked. Braiden nodded. “That was so sweet”

“It was also curtsey of Mr. Brown” “Well I’m going to have to thank him for that someday” I said. “But you did have a good birthday?” Braiden asked. “Of course I did” I said. “It would have been a good birthday no matter what we did just because I was with you” I said. Braiden smiled and hugged me tightly. “Although, I don’t really wanna go back to that restaurant again” I said. “Why not?” Braiden asked. “I don’t want you to spend all your money on me” I said. “Plus, I’d rather just stick to Chipotle and Jimmy Johns” Braiden smiled. “That works for me” he said. I laughed and kissed his cheek. “No making out in the den” Riley said. “Riley, that was his cheek!” I cried.
“That boy just” I started to say. Braiden squeezed my hand. “It’s alright, calm down” Braiden said. “But he’s said it like a hundred times now” I said. Braiden laughed. “He’s said it like 5 times” Braiden said. “Same thing” I said. Braiden laughed again. “It’s 95 times less” Braiden said. “Oh whatever” I said laughing. Braiden smiled and gave me a kiss. This time Riley didn’t interrupt us. “I love you” Braiden said. Braiden smiled. “I love you too”
Emily’s POV

“Today was perfect” I said. Toby smiled. “It was definitely entertaining” He said. I nodded. “Ninjaness is awesomeness” I said. Toby laughed. “Indeed it is” Toby said. I still don’t really understand exactly why we went back to the McDonough’s house but hey, I’m not complaining. This just means I get to spend more time with Toby. Well… and everyone else; but mostly Toby. I just love that boy so freaking much! He’s the sweetest guy, and he’s so cute, and he takes after Riley and Connor too. In the talent department, I mean. He sings, and every girl knows a guy who can sing is the going to be one of the most amazing guys in the world. He’s so much like his brothers… He looks like Riley, acts like Connor, and has both their talent.

“Whatcha thinking about?” Toby asked. I smiled. “You” I said. “No, really” Toby said. “I’m being serious” I said. “I was thinking about how you’re so much like your brothers but then also different and how you’re amazing and how I love youuu” Toby smiled. “So you do love me?” Toby asked. “I told you I did before” I said. “No you didn’t” Toby said. “Yes I did” I said. “No you didn’t” Toby said shaking his head. “Yes I did” I said. “Nope” “Yup” “Nome” “Yessum” Toby looked at me. “Yes you did” He said. “Yes I did” I said. I laughed. “You thought you’d get me, didn’t you? You didn’t so ha” I said. Toby laughed. “Alright, you win” Toby said. I smiled. “Thank you” I said.

“Stand up for a minute, will you Em?” Toby asked. I got out of the chair and stood up. Toby got out and sat sideways where his head was on one arm, his butt was on the cushion and his feet were hanging over the other arm. Toby patted the cushion. “Sit, sit” He said. I sat back down and sat the same way he was. He put his arm around me and I snuggled up close to him. I buried my head in his chest and Toby put his head on top of mine. He grabbed my hand and intertwined his fingers in mine. I turned and looked at Toby and smiled. Toby started to lean in. “Don’t even think about” Riley said. I took a deep breath and turned around to face Riley. “Riley, shut up!” I cried. “Toby is my little brother though” Riley said. “Riley, I am you’re younger brother, not you’re little brother” Toby said. “You’re only two years older than I am” “Yeah, Riley” I said. Riley looked at me but didn’t say anything. I turned back around and gave Toby a kiss. “I love you and there is nothing anyone can do” I turned and looked at Riley. “Or say, to change that” Toby smiled. “Love you too, Em” He said.
Riley’s POV

“This is actually a pretty good movie…” Courtney said. I shrugged. “It’s alright” I said. Thomas and Rachel moved and sat down on the floor. I stretched my legs out because they were staring to cramp up. I kept them out and shifted positions a little bit and Courtney moved a little as well. “So did you enjoy your night of dancing?” I asked. “I sure did” Courtney said. “It was better than going to the actual place” I hugged Courtney “That’s great” I said. “How about the movie; do you like it?” I asked. Courtney nodded. “Great” I said smiling. I leaned in to give her a kiss. “No making out in the den” Everyone said. Courtney laughed. “Ha ha very funny” I said rolling my eyes. “I love you, Courtney” I said. Courtney smiled. “I love you too” Courtney said.
Joan’s POV

I unlocked the door to the house and walked in. Laying there in the den were ten teenagers all sound asleep. Thomas and Rachel were lying sprawled out on the floor. Thomas had his arms around her and she had her head on his shoulder and his head was on top of hers. Connor and Emie were also lying on the floor. Connor was lying on the floor and had his arms around Emie. Emie had her head on his chest and their hands were intertwined. Braiden and Chiara were lying on one couch similar to Thomas and Rachel. Chiara had her head against the back of the couch and Braiden has his head on her head. Toby and Emily were lying on the chair hand in hand. Riley and Courtney were lying on the other couch. Riley had his arms around Courtney and was holding her tightly. The TV was still on. I picked up the remote off the floor next to Riley and turned off the TV. I placed it on the coffee table and turned to look at my husband. “Ah, young love” Mark said smiling. I smiled. “I remember us at that age” He said. I sighed. “Young love is a beautiful thing” I said. Mark nodded. “C’mon, let’s go to sleep” I said. Mark and I walked up the stairs and I took one last look at the den. My boys have found the loves of their lives. And that, is what make a mother happiest.

Connor’s POV

I woke up the next morning and that is when I realized we had all fallen asleep in the den. None of us had even actually gone up to bed… I looked over at Emie who was staring at me and smiling. “Morning beautiful” I said smiling. Emie smiled. “Morning Connor” She said. I gave a kiss. “Why were you staring at me?” I asked. “Because you just look so cute when you’re sleeping” She said. “Alright then” I said laughing a bit. I looked around to see if anyone else was awake. “Are we the only two awake?” I asked. Emie nodded. “I’ve only been up for a little bit, I was watching you sleep. Even though that’s creepy…” She said. “I just can’t help it, you’re too cute” I blushed and kissed her cheek. “It’s alright” I said. “It’s only creepy if it were Riley or Thomas” I said. Emie laughed. “Wanna help me fix breakfast?” I asked. Emie nodded and I stood up and helped her get up off the floor.

“Your arm didn’t fall asleep last night, did it?” Emie asked. I shrugged. “I don’t know… I was asleep” I said. Emie laughed. “I didn’t think of that” She said. “You have a comfortable arm though” She said smiling. “Well, I’m glad you think so” I said. “What should we make?” Emie asked. “I’m thinking pancakes and maybe some bacon and eggs” I said. “That’s a lot of food” Emie said. “There’s ten of us though” I said. “Yeah I guess you’re right” Emie said and she took out two pans. We started fixing breakfast trying to make as little noise as possible since the kitchen is right by the den. A few minutes later Riley and Courtney walked into the kitchen. “We didn’t wake you up, did we?” Emie asked. Riley shook his head. “Okay good” I said. “Can I take a shower?” Courtney asked. “You know where it’s at” I said. Riley and Courtney went and left the kitchen and went upstairs. “He must still be tired” I said.

“I don’t blame him” Emie said. “I would be too but I usually manage to get by on 5 hours of sleep” “I could never do that” I said. “I need 8 hours…” “Thomas couldn’t either” Emie said laughing. I laughed. “That boy needs 8 hours, but he likes around 11 hours” I said. “That would explain why he’s still sleeping” Emie said and I nodded. “Rachel is too though, and I’m surprised” I said. “She’s usually up around 9:30” “Well, it’s only 9 o’clock” Emie said taking the bacon out of the freezer. I got the butter out of the fridge and put some in the pan. “Good morning guys!” Someone cried. We turned around to see the smiling face of Braiden. “Morning Braiden” Emie said. “What’s for breakfast?” He asked. “Food” I said. Braiden rolled his eyes. “I’m gonna go take a shower” He said. “Well, Courtney and Riley are right now” I said. “So I don’t know if you can just yet”

“Well we’ll just get our clothes and talk until they get out then” Chiara said walking in. “Fine by me” I said. They turned around and walked out of the kitchen and up the stairs. Emie started fixing the eggs and I started fixing the bacon. “We’re gonna need another pan for pancakes” I said. “I knew I was forgetting something” Emie mumbled as she went to the cabinet to get one. She set it on the counter and started getting the ingredients for it. “Two for each of us?” She asked. “Yeah and I’d make about six others for Thomas and Braiden” I said. Emie laughed. “They do tend to eat a lot, especially Thomas” She said. “Tell me about it” I said. After a little bit of silence I spoke up. “Emie, I gotta show you something later on” I said. “Alright” Emie said smiling. “Hey Emie” I said. “Hmm” Emie said looking up.

“How did I get so lucky?” I asked. “To become what you are today?” Emie asked. “Because you have wonderful parents who raised you correctly and you have talent and you have friends and a brother with talent so you guys went far and are continuing to go far” I shook my head. “No that’s not what I’m talking about” I said. “Then what are you talking about?” Emie asked. “You” I said. “What?” Emie asked. “You” I said again. “How did I get lucky to have such a smart, talented, funny, and beautiful girlfriend?” “I’m not beautiful. I am a potato” Emie said. I rolled my eyes. “No you’re not” I said. Emie nodded. “I am too” She said. “No, bad Emie” I said. Emie laughed. “Alright, fine. You win” She said. “Good” I said smiling. “It’s a beautiful morning, isn’t it?” Toby asked coming into the kitchen. Why does everyone like to come into the kitchen? Why don’t they just go upstairs and change or take a shower or whatever?

“What are you so happy about?” I asked. Toby shrugged. “Life is good, what more can I say?” “Deep words for a fourteen year old” Emie teased. Toby stuck his tongue out at her. “And now it’s gone…” She said. I laughed. “I think he takes after Riley a lot more than people think” She said. I nodded. “He’s got his looks too” I said. “But anyone can see that” “I’m still here!” Toby cried. “Shhh!” Emie and I said together. “Thomas and Rachel are still asleep” I said. “And where’s Emily?” Emie asked. “Upstairs. She went to go wash her face” Toby said. “We’re gonna go watch a movie before breakfast after she gets back down here” “Well make sure to keep the volume down so you don’t wake up Thomas and Rachel” I said. “I know, I know” Toby said. Emily walked back downstairs smiling. “What are you two so happy about?” I asked. Emily shrugged. “Life is good” She said. The two of them turned around and walked back into the den.

“Are you buying that?” Emie asked. I shook my head. “Not one bit” I said. “I’ll agree that life is good, but something is up with those two” Emie nodded in agreement. “Hopefully not the first thing that comes to mind… Toby is only fourteen and Emily is only fifteen” Emie said. “Emie!” I cried. “Bad Emie! You’re not supposed to think that way” Emie laughed. “Don’t act like you didn’t think that too” Emie said. I started to say something and then stopped. “No comment” I said. “Mhm, that’s what I though” Emie said laughing. A few minutes later Riley, Courtney, Chiara, and Braiden came downstairs and sat down in the den with Toby and Emily. “They’re still asleep?” Chiara asked. “Thomas sleeps a lot” Braiden said. “He’ll probably sleep for another hour or two” “And Rachel will probably sleep for another thirty minutes” Courtney said. As if my cue, Rachel sat up and stretched. “Morning guys” She said.

She stood up and stretched again and then sat in the chair Toby and Emily were in last night. “I still love that floor” Rachel said. “That is the most comfortable floor I have ever slept on” She yawned then stopped talking. “Pancakes are done” Emie said sliding the last one on the plate. “Put them on the table” I said. Emie walked into the dining room and sat the plate on the table. She came back and grabbed the pan of eggs and put them on the table as well. I was putting the bacon on the plate when Emie back in. “I’ll set the table too” She said. She grabbed ten plates and ten forks and put them on the table. She came back and grabbed some napkins and serving utensils and put them on the table as well. I turned off the oven and put the dishes in the sink and put the plate of bacon on the table. “I smell bacon!” Thomas cried suddenly waking up.

“I should have guessed he’d wake up right after we finished cooking” I said. Emie laughed. “Well Thomas, lucky enough for you. It’s all finished now” She said. Thomas jumped up and ran to the table and sat in the spot he always sits in whenever he comes over. “Breakfast is ready” I said and everyone else came in and sat down too. We passed around the food plates and everyone served themselves. “We’ve gotta do something like yesterday again” Chiara said. “It was awesome” Courtney nodded in agreement. “But this time we should do a date night all together” She said. “Fine by me” Rachel said. “I second that” Emie said. “Me too” Emily said shoving a bite of pancake in her mouth. “Toby, your girlfriend is so ladylike” I said sarcastically. “Shut up Connor” Emily said. I shook my head. I love that girl like a sister but she’s quite strange…

“I feel like I have a hangover” Thomas said. “Thomas…” I said. “How do you know what that’s like?” Emie asked, finishing my thought. Thomas shook his head. “Not an alcoholic hangover. A good time hangover. Too much happiness and good times” He said. “But a hangover?” I asked. Thomas nodded. I shrugged. “Whatever you say” I said. Again… I love Thomas like a brother but he’s quite strange as well. “Alright, Con and Emie fixed breakfast so I’ll clear the table and someone else can do dishes” Rachel said. “I volunteer Riley” “What? No!” Riley cried. “Dude, it’s your house” Rachel argued. “I’m not doing them” Riley said. “I’ll do them with you” Courtney said. “No, you’re not doing them either” He said. “Riley, shut and stop arguing with everyone and just do the dishes” Rachel said. “No!” Riley cried. “Why don’t we all just be quiet!” I cried. Everyone looked at me. “We’re supposed to me friends, let’s not argue”

“Riley is just on his man period” Emie said. Everyone but Riley laughed and Riley shot her an if-we-end-up-alone-any-time-soon-then-I’m-going-to-kill-you look. “We’ll do it, don’t worry” Courtney said. Rachel shot Riley a look and he rolled his eyes. “You people are weird” I said. “And you know you still love us” Rachel said. “Yeah I guess I am guilty of that” I said. “And by the way, you’re weird too” She said. “Well thanks” I said. She laughed. “It’s good that some of us can get along” She said looking at Riley. “Okay I don’t know what the problem is between you two, but it’s driving me crazy” Chiara said. “It’s his fault” Rachel said. “It’s her fault” Riley said at the same time. “Braiden, why haven’t you said anything?” I asked. “I’m trying not to get involved in constant arguing” He said. “Smart choice” I mumbled.

“Okay, I’m going to go take a shower” Toby said standing up. “We don’t need to know that! It’s like you want us to think about you being in the shower! Stop it child, you’re fourteen!” Emie cried. Toby looked at her and the backed away slowly and then ran up the stairs. “What was that about?” I asked. Emie shrugged. “After what he said earlier, it felt like the right thing to say” She said. I laughed and leaned over and kissed her cheek. “You may be weird, but I love you” I said. Emie beamed. “Be weird, get weird” She said. I looked at her. “Oh yeah, and I love you too” I laughed again. Like I said, she’s weird, but I love her to death.

Connor’s POV

“So what are we doing today?” Emi asked. “I don’t know, what does everyone want to do?” I said. “We can go for a walk” Courtney said from the kitchen. “Thomas and I did that last night” Rachel said. “Did you actually walk or did you stand and talk and make out?” Riley teased. “We actually walked, thank you very much” Rachel said. “Babe calm down…” Thomas said placing his hand on her shoulder. “I could use a walk after all I ate last night” Chiara said. “How about you, Braiden?” I asked. “Walking is fine with me” Braiden said. “Emily, Toby, get down her for a second!” I yelled. Emily and Toby came hopping, literally, down the stairs. “We’re going for a walk; do you wanna join us or stay here?” I asked. “I wanna go” Emily said. “But Em…” Toby said. She turned towards him and they whispered back and forth for a little bit. “Alright, we’ll go” Toby said. “Then go get ready” I said. “We’re leaving after Riley and Courtney get the dishwasher loaded”

“Alright, we’ll be ready” Emily said. She grabbed Toby’s hand and dragged him back up the stairs. “I need to go get ready too then…” Rachel said jumping off the couch. “So do I” Thomas said getting up and following her upstairs. “How long are you gonna be?” Chiara asked. “As long as it takes for me to change clothes and wash my face” Rachel said. “As long as it takes for me to change clothes and do my hair” Thomas said. “I would say something about that… but considering its Thomas, I’m not going to” Emie said. I laughed. “Yeah, being Thomas it makes sense that he says it” “Alright, we’re finished” Riley said as he and Courtney walked into the den. “So are we” Emily said as she and Toby walked downstairs. “Toby stop moping” I said. Toby looked at me but didn’t say anything.

“Well, are we ready?” I asked. “Si” Rachel said walking downstairs. “Well, as soon as Thomas gets down here” “Of course we’re left waiting on him” I mumbled. “Alright, sardine yourselves in the car” I said opening the front door and unlocking my car. “We’re taking one car?” Emie asked. “Unless Riley wants to drive” I said. Riley shrugged. “I’ll drive” He said. “Come on Courtney… Braiden, you and Chiara can go with us” Riley walked out of the house and the three of them followed. “See you at the park” Riley yelled. They climbed into the car and Riley drove off. Emie, Toby, Emily, and Rachel all went ahead and got into my car and I waited on Thomas. “Okay, sorry… I’m ready now” Thomas said coming down the steps a few minutes later. “Well let’s go” I said. Thomas ran outside and hopped into the car. I turned off the lights and shut the door and locked it.

I walked outside and got into the car. “Buckle up” I said. “With this many people in the car I’m not taking any chances” I said. I pulled out of the driveway and out of the neighborhood and started driving to the park. “Connor, do we have to stay with you guys after we get there?” Emily asked. “Not if you don’t want to” I said. “Just make sure you two stay together, there are a lot of creepers in Orlando” I said. Emily laughed. “Emily, I’m serious” I said. “I know” She said. “But you sound funny when you say creepers” I rolled my eyes. “You and Toby can just do whatever” I said. “Alright” Emily said. “As long as it’s legal!” I cried. Emily laughed again. “Okay Connor! We’ll stay legal and safe” She said. “Okay good” I said. Now this park play date is a go.

Toby’s POV

“Swing time!” Emily yelled. She turned and ran towards the swings. I turned and looked at Connor. “Amazing, isn’t she?” I asked. Connor smiled and hit my back. “Go on” He said. I smiled and ran off after Emily. “Em, wait up!” I yelled. I got to the swings and Emily was already sitting on one. “I take it you still like swings” I said. Emily laughed and nodded. I smiled. I love her laugh. “Swinging on swings are one of those things that you never actually ever outgrow” Emile said. I nodded. “That’s true…” I said. Emily smiled. “Do you have a rubber band or something?” Emily asked. I checked my pockets. “Actually… I do” I said. I pulled a hair tie out of my pocket. “I believe this is yours anyways” I said. Emily laughed. “It probably is” She said taking it. Emily brushed her hair out with her fingers and put her hair up in a ponytail.

“Why are you putting your hair up?” I asked. “It’s so pretty…” “So I don’t get woodchips or something like that in it” Emily said. “Oh okay” I said. Emily tucked her shirt into her shorts and climbed up on the monkey bars. She hooked her legs under one of the bars and hung upside down. “I see you upside down” Emily said. I laughed. “I still see you right side up” I said. Emily smiled. “Come on, join me” Emily said motioning to the monkey bar next to her. “I don’t want to hang upside down though” I said. Emily stuck her tongue out at me. “Please” She said. “Nope” I said. “Please” “No” “Pretty please with a cherry on top?” “Nope, not gonna do it” I said. Emily stuck out her bottom lip and pretended to pout. “Pleeeease” Emily begged. “I’ve got a better idea” I said. “And what is that?” Emily asked.

“Backwards Spiderman” I said. “What?” Emily asked. I leaned in and gave her a kiss. Emily smiled. “Okay now I get it” She said. “That is a better idea” I laughed and kissed her again. She put her hands on my cheeks and then we fell to the ground. “That hurts” Emily said. “Tell me about it” I said rubbing my back. “Let’s not try that again” She said. “I’m with you there” I said. I stood up and helped Emily up. “Hey!” Emily cried. “What?” I asked. “Two days from now is the summer dance thing!” She said. I grinned. “You’re right! It is!” I cried. “Tomorrow I’ve gotta go find a dress” She said. “That would be smart” I teased. Emily stuck her tongue out at me and I grabbed her waist and pulled her in. “I love you, beautiful” I said. Emily blushed and smiled. “I love you too, Toby” She said. I kissed her softly.
“You may love me, but I love you more” I said. Emily shook her head. “Nuh uh” She said. I nodded. “Yes I do” I said. “Nope” Emily said. “Si” I said. “Then prove it” Emily said taking a step back. “Come here” I said. “Nope, you’ve gotta catch me” Emily said. She walked back up to me, planted a kiss on my lips, and took off running. I sighed and started to run after her. Whoever said you’ve gotta chase the girl of your dreams didn’t know the half of it.
Riley’s POV

“How long are we going to walk for?” I asked as the eight of us started walking down the trail. “However long all of us feel like it” Connor said. “Are we going different ways or all the same one?” I asked. Connor shrugged. “Either or, it doesn’t matter to me” He said. I looked over at Courtney. “Which way do you wanna go?” I asked. “Let’s go left” She said. I nodded and took her hand and we walked left. “We’ll go too” Braiden said. He and Chiara followed us left and Connor, Emie, Thomas, and Rachel went right. “We’ll eventually meet up with them though” Braiden said. “It’ll happen when it happens” I said. Braiden laughed and shook his head. “You never make any sense” He said. “Well, that’s my job” I said. “I live to confuse people” Courtney laughed. “He’s not lying” She said. Chiara nodded. “It is what he’s good at” She said. “Alright, we get it. No more talking” I said.

“We’re gonna go this way” Braiden said pointing. “Alright” I said. He and Chiara walked away and Courtney and I continued walking. The birds were out and singing and Courtney and I walked along. “I think they want you to sing” Courtney said. “I think you want me to sing” I said. Courtney smiled. “That works too” She said. “Alright then give me a second” I said. Courtney and I walked along and listened to the birds. Slowly, the birds stopped singing and they all got quiet. That sat on the branches of the trees. It seemed as if they were just watching us and waiting for me to start singing. “I told you they want you to sing” Courtney said. I smiled and took a deep breath. “You're better than the best, I'm lucky just to linger in your light, cooler than the flip-side of my pillow (that's right). Completely unaware, nothing can compare to where you send me, let's me know that it’s okay (yea, it's okay) and the moments when my good times start to fade. You make me smile like the sun, fall outta bed. Sing like a bird, dizzy in my head. Spin like a record, crazy on a Sunday night. You make me dance like fool, forget how to breathe. Shine like gold, buzz like a bee. Just the thought of you can drive me wild, oh, you make me smile”

I looked over at Courtney and she smiled and I squeezed her hand tightly. “Even when you're gone, somehow you come along just like a flower pokin through the sidewalk crack. And just like that, you steal away the rain, and just like that. You make me smile like the sun, fall outta bed. Sing like a bird, dizzy in my head. Spin like a record, crazy on a Sunday night. You make me dance like fool, forget how to breathe. Shine like gold, buzz like a bee. Just the thought of you can drive me wild, oh, you make me smile. Even when you're gone, somehow you come along just like a flower pokin through the sidewalk crack, and just like that, you steal away the rain and just like that. You make me smile like the sun, fall outta bed. Sing like a bird, dizzy in my head. Spin like a record, crazy on a Sunday night. You make me dance like fool, forget how to breathe. Shine like gold, buzz like a bee. Just the thought of you can drive me wild, oh, you make me smile.” I looked over at Courtney and grinned.

“Don't know how I lived without you, cuz everytime that I get around you, I see the best of me inside your eyes. You make me smile. You make me dance like fool, forget how to breathe. Shine like gold, buzz like a bee. Just the thought of you can drive me wild, oh, you make me smile. You make me smile like the sun, fall outta bed. Sing like a bird, dizzy in my head. Spin like a record, crazy on a Sunday night. You make me dance like fool, forget how to breathe. Shine like gold, buzz like a bee. Just the thought of you can drive me wild, oh, you make me smile. (Oh, you make me smile) Oh you make me smile. (Oh, you make me smile) Oh you make me smile.” I stopped singing and the bird sang back the last few notes. “They like you” Courtney said smiling. “Really? I never would have guessed” I joked. She poked my cheek.
“And do you?” I asked. “Do I what?” Courtney asked. “Do you like me?” I asked. Courtney shook her head. “Of course not” She said. “I love you” I grinned. “I like the sound of that” I said. Courtney laughed and I pulled her in for a hug. We just stood in the middle of the trail for a little bit as I held her tightly. “Hey” I said staring at her after we pulled away. “What?” She asked. “I love you” I said. Courtney smiled and kissed me softly. “I love you too” She said. And with that I took her hand again and we continued walking.
Braiden’s POV

“Hey, isn’t the summer dance in two days?” Chiara asked. “It sure is” I said. “Do you wanna go?” “I will go if Rachel goes” Chiara said. “Why is that?” I asked. “Because she says she can’t dance, so if she goes anyways, then I’ll go too” She said. “I guess that makes sense” I said. We walked along in silence for a little bit and just took in the fresh air and beautiful surroundings. Chiara finally broke the silence. “Braiden” She said. “Hmm” I said turning to look at her. “Will you teach me to play guitar?” Chiara asked. “I don’t see why not” I said. Chiara smiled and gave me a hug. “Thanks” She said. She leaned over and kissed my cheek. “Are we doing anything tomorrow?” She asked.

“I was under the impression that you were going dress shopping with Courtney and company” I said. “Courtney and company?” Chiara asked. I shrugged. “I didn’t want to list out all the names” “It’s only three more names” Chiara said laughing. I smiled and rolled my eyes. “Have any ideas for the dress?” I asked. “Yes, but you’re not supposed to ask that and I’m not going to tell you because it has to be a surprise” Chiara said. I laughed. “Alright, alright; I’ll keep my mouth shut” I said. I turned towards Chiara and just looked at her for a minute. I don’t know why she doesn’t like her hair… its super curly but I think it looks really pretty; as does she… “Braiden” Chiara said breaking my train of thought. I looked up at her. “Are you gonna kiss me or not?” She asked.

I laughed and leaned in and gave her a kiss and then pulled her in for a hug. “I love you, you know that?” I asked. Chiara nodded and smiled. “I know” She said. “That’s not what you’re supposed to say” I teased. Chiara laughed and kissed me again. “I love you too, Braiden” She said. Chiara smiled and sighed happily. “I love you too”
Connor’s POV

“Emie, do you still want to go to the dance?” I asked. “Yes, why? Do not want to?” Emie asked. “No, I do” I said. “Just if you didn’t want to go I had something else planned that we could do” “We can do that the night after” Emie said. “Or we can all go out to dinner that night for a group date” “I like that idea” I said. “Are you still going dress shopping tomorrow too?” I asked. “Yes” Rachel said from behind us. I forgot they were behind us… She and Thomas had been so quiet this whole time. I turned around and started carefully walking backwards. Thomas was giving Rachel a piggy back ride. She had her legs around his waist and her arms around her neck and he was holding her there carefully. “Yes, yes we are” Rachel said again.

“Good to know” I said. I turned to look at Thomas. “So I guess that means we need to look for suits” I said. Thomas shook his head. “I’m wearing the same one I wore to prom” He said. “I refuse to look for another” “Then I guess we can sit around the house and be lazy” I said. “Sounds good to me” Thomas said. I rolled my eyes and turned back around. “I wonder where the others are now…” I said. “Yeah, we should have passed them by now” Emie said. “My guess is Riley and Courtney stopped to do something and are walking slowly and Braiden and Chiara are probably by the pond” Rachel said. “Seems legit” Emie said. “And Toby and Emily are running around being kids” Rachel added. “And how do you know that?” I asked. “Because I can see them through the trees and I can hear them screaming” She said pointing. I looked through the trees and sure enough Toby was chasing Emily around the swing set.

“Well, we know where two of them are…” I said. “Connor relax” Emie said. “Braiden is 18 and Riley is 16. They’re both grown up to know how to stay safe in woods. Especially Braiden, and besides that, they have their phones if they were to get into any trouble and Courtney and Chiara have their phones too and they would also call if they were in any trouble. We’re meeting them back at the car anyways, so stop worrying and have fun” I smiled. “Emie, I swear you are the greatest” I said. Emie shook her head. “Not in the least bit” She said. “Emie, what did I tell you about talking bad about yourself?” I asked. “Not to do it…” Emie mumbled. “Because?” I asked. “Because I’m not right…” She said. “Close enough” I said. “Emie, you are beautiful and you are the best. No matter what other people tell you”

Emie smiled. “See Connor, this is why I’m not the best” Emie said. I looked at her and waited for her to finish. “I’m not the best because you are” She said. I smiled and pulled Emie in for a hug. “How about we just be the best together” I said. Emie smiled. “Sounds like a plan” She said. I held her tightly and then just stared at her for a minute after we pulled away. “Hey Connor” Emie said. I snapped out of my train of thought. “Yeah?” I said. “I gotta tell you something” She said. “Go on” I said. “It’s bad news though” She said. Oh no… This can’t be good. I thought. I took a deep breath. “Go ahead” I said. “The sun, it lost his job” She said. “Because you brighten up my day” I smiled. “Never had a girl use a pick up line on me before” I said. “Except on twitter…” Emie laughed and gave me a kiss. “I love you, Connor” She said smiling. I smiled. “Love you too, Emie”
Thomas’ POV

I was giving Rachel a piggy back ride as we walked along the trail behind Connor and Emie. They were talking about the dance coming up and something else before that but I don’t know what. Rachel and I just stayed quiet for a little bit. Once Connor remembered we were here and he started talking to Emie a lot more I started talking to Rachel again. “How do I not hurt your back?” Rachel asked. “I’m so fat” “No you’re not” I said. “And don’t say that” “How is this not hard for you though? I’m only two inches shorter than you are…” Rachel said. “Well than I guess it’s those two inches that give me an advantage to where I actually can do this” I said. “When we’ve grown old together though, and we’re about to fall apart at any second, don’t expect me to do it then” Rachel laughed. “No promises” She said. I laughed and rolled my eyes.

“How does that sound?” Connor suddenly asked. “Wait what? We weren’t paying attention” I said. “Do you two wanna go out and have dinner, like all ten of us, the day after the dance?” Emie asked. “Where are we going?” Rachel asked. “Olive Garden” Connor said. “Yes” Rachel and I said together. Emie laughed. “Alright, then we’ll ask the others tomorrow or whenever we get back home” She said. “This has just been a good week” Rachel said. I nodded. “Spending every waking moment with the love of my life, how could it be better?” I said. “And sleeping moment, at that” Rachel joked. “Yeah I guess that’s true too” I said. “I’m just surprised you actually fell asleep on the floor” Connor said. “So am I” I said. “I didn’t think I could do that” “Why did you even move to the floor?” Connor asked. “Same reason you did” I said. Connor started to say something else but stopped. “Good enough for me” He said before saying something more to Emie.

We got off the trail and I put Rachel down. “I’m not carrying you anymore” I said. “That’s alright” She said. Rachel started to look around. “But you are coming with me to the swings” She said. Rachel grabbed my hand and started pulling me towards the swings. When we got there she pushed me down on one swing and she sat down in the other one. I took her hand so we were somewhat swinging hand in hand. “This reminds me of being a kid again” She said. I smiled and sighed. “This simple times when all you did was swing and play and eat” I said. Rachel nodded. “I miss those times…” She said. “And the times when boys still had cooties and the worst pain was scraping your knee and not heartbreak” “Hey” I said. “No more boys have cooties. Because if I have cooties than I don’t have you” Rachel laughed. “No, you don’t have cooties anymore” She said.

“Good” I said. Rachel let go of my hand and started to swing for real. I watched her as the wind blew her hair all over the place. She finally stopped and stood up and her hair was all in the face. “How do I look?” She asked jokingly. “So attractive” I teased. I stood up and grabbed her waist and pulled her close to me. “And just so you know, I’m never going to break your heart” I said. Rachel smiled. “Good” She said smiling. I smiled. She started to turn away but I grabbed her wrist. “Hey” I said. Rachel turned and looked at me. “I love you” I said. Rachel smiled. I leaned in and kissed her softly. She jumped on my back again. “To the car” She said. I laughed and started walking back to the car. Rachel kissed my cheek. “Oh and Thomas” She said. “I love you too”

Rachel’s POV

“Thomas, we’re taking your car” I said walking into the kitchen where the boys were. “No” Thomas said. “Yes, I am” I said. Thomas shook his head. “Give me the keys” I said. “Nooo, my keys” Thomas said. “Alright, fine. We’re leaving then” I said. I leaned in to give him a kiss. I grabbed his keys out of his back pocket and held them up. “Got them” I said grinning. I ran into the den and Thomas ran after me. He came up behind me and grabbed my waist and started tickling me. “No, stop it!” I cried laughing. Thomas kept tickling me and tried to grab his keys. “Emie, catch!” I cried. I threw the keys to Emie who caught them and opened the front door and walked outside. “I win” I said smiling. “This time” Thomas said. I stuck my tongue out at him. “Alright, I gotta go now” I said. “Love you, bye” I gave Thomas another kiss and walked out of the house. I took the keys from Emie and we all piled into Thomas’ car and I drove to the mall.

“Is the dance on the beach?” Chiara asked. “Sort of…” I said. “What do you mean?” Emily asked. “Well” Emie said. “It’s on the beach, but not on the beach” “What?” Chiara said. “It’s in a building on the beach” Courtney said. “Oh! Okay!” Chiara cried. “Thank you” She said laughing. We got to the mall and got out of the car and went inside in search of a dress store. “I never shop for dresses… I have no idea where I am going” I said. “I know where one is at” Courtney said. She led the way across the mall and eventually we walked into this huge dress store. It had formal dresses, sundresses, short dresses, long dresses, and just about every other dress there is. Even wedding dresses… The five of us started to look around to find a dress that we like. “Oh. My. Gosh.” Emie said. She grabbed a dress and held it up.

“This is my dream dress” She said. We looked over at her. It was a strapless knee length dress with a black top and colored feather like things at the bottom. “Nice” Chiara said. “I like this one” She said. Chiara held up and similar dress to Emie’s. This one was also strapless and knee length dress with a black top but it had a purple waist and a floral pattern for the bottom. The two of them went to try the dress on while Courtney, Emily and I looked for our dresses. “Hey Courtney” I said. “How about this one?” I held up and layered like spaghetti strap purple dress. “I like it” She said smiling. Courtney took it from me and made sure it fit what she was looking for and then she went to try it on. “Hey Rach, do you like this one?” Emily asked holding up a dress for me to see it.

“For me or you?” I asked. “You” Emily said. I took the dress from her and held it up. It was a black knee length dress with a silkish top layer and a second rougher layer underneath that. Instead of having straps it tied around your neck. “I like it” I said smiling. “I found one for you too, Em” I said. I handed her a knee length solid blue dress with tank top like straps. Emily took it from me and examined it just as I did the one she gave me. “Looks good to me” She said. The two of us went to try them on as Emie, Chiara, and Courtney were leaving the dressing rooms. “What are we doing next?” Emily asked through the stall. “Manicures to match, I guess” I said. “Ask Courtney…” After we tried on the dresses and changed back we paid for them and then walked out of the store and just stood there for a minute. “Manicures?” Courtney asked. Emily and I started laughing. “I told you” I said. And Emily nodded. Courtney led the way again and we went to the nail salon.

Emie got teal, Emily got dark blue, Courtney got dark purple, Chiara got more of a maroon and I got a very dark blue. I didn’t want black but I did want it to match my dress. Chiara also got a flower drawn on both of her ring fingers. After our nails dried we went to grab a bite to eat and then we checked out the book store on the other side of the food court. Emie and I needed a new notebook for writing and Courtney needed a new music book. After we finished at the book store we went ahead and went on back to the McDonough’s. We got back to the house and Emie and I got the five bags and went up to Joan and Mark’s room. I knocked on the door and she answered. “Hey Mrs. McDonough” I said. “Do you mind if we keep our dresses in here until tomorrow?” I asked. “Not at all, go right ahead” She said. Emie and I put the bags in her closet. “Thanks” Emie said. And then the two of us went downstairs. I gave Thomas back his keys and then we all sat down in the den and decided to watch a movie. I started thinking about tomorrow and Connor’s plans… Yup. I thought. With all of that, tomorrow is going to be an amazing day.

Connor’s POV

Want you to love me like it’s our last day baby! Love me like it’s our last day girl! End of the World blasted upstairs while the girls got ready for the dance. My parents came downstairs and looked at us. My mom smiled and my dad fixed Toby’s tie. My mom made the five of us get together so she could take pictures of her ‘young men’. After what seemed a hundred pictures, my mom turned around and went back upstairs and my dad blocked the stairs. “No one is going upstairs” My dad said. “But Mr. McDonough” Thomas protested. “Thomas, my boy!” My dad exclaimed. “Stay downstairs” He narrowed his eyes. Thomas laughed nervously and backed up some. The music upstairs shut off and all I could hear was my mom’s voice. However, I couldn’t quite make out what she was saying.

“How are you, Mr. McDonough?” Braiden asked. “Pretty good, Braiden. How are you?” “Pretty great” Braiden said smiling. “And excited” My mom came to the top of the stairs. “Mark” She called. My dad looked back and my mom waved him upstairs. They whispered back and forth for a minute and then my dad came back down and blocked the stairs again. “Are they ready now?” Riley asked. “As a matter of fact, they are” My dad said. “Introducing” He began. “Courtney, Emily, Chiara, Rachel, and Emie” My dad said. He stepped aside and the girls walked downstairs all dolled up. Well… more so than usual… they were in dresses. “It took that long for this?” Thomas asked. “Do we look bad?” Rachel asked. “No… you just look, like you put on a dress” Rachel laughed and kissed his cheek. I stood there staring at Emie. “What?” She asked. “You look… gorgeous” I said. “Not potatoish at all” I added, knowing she would come back with that. Emie blushed. “Thanks” She said quietly. “I can’t believe I found my dream dress…”

“Picture time” My mom said coming back downstairs. “Mom, it’s the annual dance, not prom” I said. “Well I still need pictures of my young men” My mom said. I groaned and grabbed Emie’s hand. My mom literally took around three hundred pictures… She took some of only two of us, she took some of all ten of us, and she took some of only Riley, Toby and me. She took some of the five of us guys and some of the five girls. She went through around eight rolls of film. “Okay one more” My mom said. “No, mom! We have to go!” I cried. “Okay, okay. Have fun” My mom opened the door and the ten of us hurried out. “Toby, Emily, come with us” I said. Thomas opened the back door and Toby, Emily, Rachel, and them himself piled in. Emie said in the front with me. Riley and Courtney were in his car with Chiara and Braiden.

“Ready to dance till the end of the world?” I asked. Emie nodded. “Ready as I’ll ever be” “Connor, when are you going to do that thing?” Emily asked. “Tonight” I told her. “Emily knows too?!” Emie cried. I laughed. “Yup” “You guys like being mean to me, don’t you?” Emie said. “Oh you know you love us” Emily said. “You’ve got me there” Emie said. We pulled up into the beach parking lot and we all got out. “Where’s the building?” Rachel asked. “Over that way” I said pointing a little ways away. We waiting a little bit for Riley, Courtney, Braiden, and Chiara to get there and once they did we headed off into the direction of the building completely ready to dance the night away.

Connor’s POV

Chiara’s POV

The ten of us walked inside the building and I took a look around. This was our first time going to the dance because every other time one of us was busy doing something else. For a few minutes I just stood there and talked to Braiden and everyone else and then music started playing. “May I have this dance” Braiden asked holding out his hand. “Yes you may” I said smiling and taking it. The music was turned up and I realized what song this was. “Braiden, it’s our song” I said happily. If the heart is always searching, can you ever find a home? I've been looking for that someone; I'll never make it on my own. Dreams can't take the place of loving you; there's gotta be a million reasons why it's true. When you look me in the eyes, and tell me that you love me. Everything's alright, when you're right here by my side. When you look me in the eyes, I catch a glimpse of heaven. I find my paradise, when you look me in the eyes.

“It is, isn’t it” Braiden said smiling. How long will I be waiting, to be with you again? Gonna tell you that I love you, in the best way that I can. I can't take a day without you here; you’re the light that makes my darkness disappear. When you look me in the eyes, and tell me that you love me. Everything's alright, when you're right here by my side. When you look me in the eyes, I catch a glimpse of heaven. I find my paradise, when you look me in the eyes. More and more I start to realize, I can reach my tomorrow, I can hold my head up high, and it's all because you're by my side. “I remember when we first heard this song too…” Braiden said. I smiled. “It was after we had been dating for a month” I said.

(Flashback) “Braiden, where are we going?” I asked. “I’m taking you to dinner” Braiden said. Braiden and I had been dating for a month now. Well, as of today we had been. He was taking me out to dinner to celebrate. We pulled into the parking lot and I looked up to see where we were at. It was an Italian restaurant, one I had never been to before. Braiden came over and opened my door and I got out. Braiden hesitantly took my hand and we walked inside. The waiter seated us and gave us our menus and then he walked away.

“So…” I said. “So…” Braiden repeated. “I don’t really know what to say” I said shyly. “Neither do I” Braiden said. “You know me… I’m kinda shy” I smiled. I find shy guys adorable. After we ordered and we were brought our food we just sat there listening to the music. “I wonder when places will play Before You Exit’s music” Braiden said. “Probably not for a few years” I said. “You have to get famous first” Braiden nodded and went back to eating. After we finished eating, the waiter came and cleared our plates. Braiden and I just sat there talking a little bit and listening to the music and waiting for the cheek. Then, When You Look Me in the Eyes by The Jonas Brothers came on and a smile broke out of my face.

“This is one of my favorite songs” I said. Braiden smiled and grabbed my hands from across the table. Braiden started singing along softly to it. “When you look me in the eyes, and tell me that you love me. Everything’s all right, when you’re right here my by side” I smiled. This was the best thing a guy had ever done for me. After the song ended Braiden continued staring into my eyes. “I love you” He said quietly. I smiled. “I love you too” I said. He leaned across the table and gave me a kiss. (End Flashback)

“We heard this sing and we shared our first kiss and our first ‘I love you’” I said. Braiden smiled and nodded. “And look at us now” He said. I laughed a little. “We’re still together, we say ‘I love you’ almost hourly, we kissed a thousand times since” I smiled and gave him a kiss. When you look me in the eyes, and tell me that you love me. Everything's alright, when you're right here by my side. When I hold you in my arms, I know that it's forever. I just gotta let you know, I never wanna let you go. “And I won’t let you go either” Braiden said. I smiled and looked into his eyes. “I love you, Braiden” I said. Braiden smiled. “I love you too, Chiara” He said. When you look me in the eyes, and tell me that you love me. Everything's alright, when you're right here by my side. When you look me in the eyes, I catch a glimpse of heaven. I find my paradise, when you look me in the eyes. Oh

Emily’s POV

I was talking to Toby whenever he told me he would be right back. He walked up to the deejay and talked to him for a minute and then he came back and grabbed my hand and dragged me to the middle of the dance floor. “What’s going on?” I asked. Toby smiled. “You’ll see” He said. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this… The music started playing and I almost started crying. “Baby blue eyes” I said. “You remember…” Toby grinned. “How could I forget?” He asked. My eyes are no good- blind without her, the way she moves, I never doubt her. When she talks, she somehow creeps into my dreams. She's a doll, a catch, a winner; I'm in love and no beginner; could ever grasp or understand just what she means. Baby, baby blue eyes, stay with me by my side; Till the mornin', through the night. Well baby, stand here, holdin' my sides; close your baby blue eyes; every moment feels right. And I may feel like a fool, but I'm the only one, dancin' with you. Oh... I drive her home when she can't stand; I like to think I'm a better man. For not lettin' her do what she's been, known to do. She wears heels and she always falls, so I let her think she's a know-it-all.

Toby and I moved a little and I slipped and he caught me. The two of us laughed a little bit. “See, this is why you don’t ear heels” He teased. I laughed and wrapped my arms around him again. But whatever she does wrong, it seems so right. My eyes don't believe her, but my heart, swears by her. Baby, baby blue eyes, stay with me by my side; till the mornin', through the night. (Can’t get you out of my mind) Well baby, stand here, holdin' my sides, close your baby blue eyes; every moment feels right. And I may feel like a fool, but I'm the only one, dancin' with you. Oh... Can’t get you out of my mind. “Do you remember how we came across this song?” I asked. “Of course I do” Toby says smiling. “It was back when we were both 14 and not just me” Toby joked. “I had just asked you to go out with me…”

(Flashback) Toby and I were walking through the mall and Rachel and Connor were behind us. “Why is Rachel with us and not Emie?” I asked. “My mom knows Rachel better and they have a school project to work on and they needed to buy some supplies here” Toby said. “Oh okay” I said. “Where should we go next?” Toby asked. “Anywhere is fine with me” I said. “Actually… I want to go manage a monkey” I said. Toby laughed. “Let’s go then” He said. He turned around. “Connor, we’re going to Manage a Monkey” Toby said. “Alright, we’ll be over there soon” Connor said as he and Rachel walked into some craft store. “Shall we go?” Toby asked holding out his hand. After a few second of arguing with myself, I took his hand and we started walking towards the store.

“Aww this monkey is so cute” I said. I held up a small light brown monkey with big blue eyes. “His eyes match yours too” Toby said. “Which are really pretty, by the way” I blushed. “Thanks” I said quietly. I walked over to the stuffing machine and started to fill my monkey up with stuffing. “I think you should name him after yourself since he has your eyes” Toby said. “I was just going to name him Blue” I said. “How about Baby Blue then? Since he’s small and you have baby blue eyes” Toby said. I smiled. “I like that…” I said nodding. Not too long later Connor and Rachel came and got us. It was already 9 o’clock… we had spent a lot longer at the mall then we thought we had.

Toby and I paid for my monkey and we headed out to the car. Connor unlocked the doors and Toby opened the door for me and I got inside and he slid in next to me. I put my box that my monkey was in on the other side of me. Connor pulled out of the parking lot and then he turned on the radio. Baby Blue Eyes by A Rocket to the Moon started playing. I smiled and looked over at Toby who also had a huge grin on his face. “This is officially our song” I whispered. Toby smiled. “I wouldn’t have it any other way” (End Flashback)

“That was one of the best nights ever” I said. “We found our song and each other” He said smiling. I nodded and hugged him tightly. I swear, I've been there. I swear, I've done that.
I'll do whatever it takes, just to see those, baby, baby blue eyes, stay with me by my side; till the mornin', through the night. (Can’t get you out of my mind) Baby, stand here, holdin' my sides, Close your baby blue eyes; every moment feels right. And I may feel like a fool, but I'm the only one, dancin' with those. Baby, baby blue eyes, stay with me by my side; till the mornin', through the night. (Can’t get you out of my mind) Baby, stand here, holdin' my sides, I'm closin' your baby blue eyes; every moment feels right. (Every moment feels right)

“Toby” I said. Toby looked up and into my eyes. “I love you” I said. Toby smiled. “I love you too, baby blue eyes” Toby said. My eyes are no good- blind without her, the way she moves, I never doubt her. When she talks, she somehow creeps into my, dreams.

Courtney’s POV

“Come on Courtney, let’s dance” Riley said. Riley grabbed my hand and pulled me out on the dance floor. “Let’s dance like we’re dying” I looked at Riley and he shrugged. “I don’t know where that came from” He said laughing. I laughed and wrapped my arms around his neck. “Well, we can still do that” I said. Riley smiled and placed his hands on my hips. Beauty queen of only eighteen, she had some trouble with herself. He was always there to help her, she always belonged to someone else. I drove for miles and miles, and wound up at your door. I've had you so many times but somehow, I want more. I looked at Riley. “Did you do this?” I asked. Riley smiled and nodded. “I know how much you like Maroon 5 and I remember the first dance we were at…” He said. I don't mind spending everyday. Out on your corner in the pouring rain, look for the girl with the broken smile. Ask her if she wants to stay awhile. And she will be loved, she will be loved. Tap on my window knock on my door, I want to make you feel beautiful, I know I tend to get so insecure, it doesn't matter anymore.

“It was back in eighth grade…” I said. Riley nodded. “The problem was… you had gone to the dance with someone else” It's not always rainbows and butterflies. It's compromise that moves us along, yeah. My heart is full and my door's always open, you can come anytime you want. I don't mind spending everyday, out on your corner in the pouring rain, look for the girl with the broken smile, ask her if she wants to stay awhile. And she will be loved. And she will be loved. And she will be loved. And she will be loved. “But we did share one dance… to this song” Riley said.
Riley’s POV

(Flashback) Here we are… the eighth grade dance. I feel awkward… I’m one of the youngest people here… I’m only allowed to be here because of Connor, Braiden, and Thomas… That’s why the other younger people are here too… their siblings or dates of someone in eighth grade. I had no date though… I had wanted to ask Courtney but I just couldn’t get up the nerve too. She’s just so beautiful… I lose my words like Rachel did when she first met Thomas. Plus… she has a boyfriend, so I’m stuck being only best friends. One of these days, it’s gonna change though. One day…

Everyone has someone to dance with. Even Connor, who has Rachel… Well… Thomas and Braiden don’t… “Why don’t you go ask Courtney to dance?” Braiden asked coming up next to me. I shrugged. “Riley…” Braiden said. “Go ask, the worst she can do is say no” Thomas said walking up. “That’s the problem…” I said. I looked up to see Courtney and her boyfriend arguing about something. She started crying and went and sat down across the room from me. “Alright, last dance! Grab that someone special and hit the dance floor” The deejay said. Braiden and Thomas both looked at me. “Here’s your chance” Thomas said. “You can do it” Braiden added. They both seemed confident in me… “Alright” I said. I got up from against the wall and walked over to where Courtney was.

“Courtney” I said. Courtney looked up at me. “Oh… hey Riley” She said quietly. “I thought you were someone else” She looked back down. I sighed and turned around and started to walk away when Braiden signaled for me to turn back around. I took a deep breath and turned around again. “Courtney, it’s the last dance… would you like to dance with me?” I asked. Courtney forced a smile. “I’d like that” She said. I held out my hand and Courtney took it and I let her to the dance floor. She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5 came on as we started to dance. “I love Maroon 5” Courtney said smiling. I smiled. She looks better in a smile than tears. I glanced over at Thomas and Braiden who both shot me a thumbs up. Courtney’s mind still seemed to be somewhere else. “Courtney… what’s wrong?” I asked. “Josh is just being an ass…” Courtney said. “Well, are you okay?” I asked.

Courtney shrugged. “Maybe I am, maybe I’m not… I don’t really know” She said. “Well… like the song says” I began. “Tap on my window, knock on my door” “I wanna make you feel beautiful” Courtney said. “Well yeah… but I was gonna say I’ll answer it and be right there” I said. “Oh” Courtney said blushing a little. “Riley…” Courtney said. I looked up at her. Even though she had been crying, it still seemed as if her eyes shone underneath the lights. “Josh broke up with me” She said. “I’m sorry…” I said. I felt bad, but a little happy as well. “Don’t be… I found the person I should have been with from the start” Courtney said. “Oh…” I said quietly. I looked away from her and my heart dropped.

“Riley…” Courtney said again. “Hmm” I said. This time, I avoided eye contact. I couldn’t look her in the face. “Riley…” She said again. “Yeah?” I asked. Looking everywhere around the auditorium but at her. “Look at me, please…” Courtney said. I sighed and turned to face her. Before I could say anything Courtney kissed me. It was everything I ever thought it would be. “Wait… what just happened?” I asked. “You” Courtney said. “You’re the guy I should have been with from the start” I smiled. “You really think that?” I asked. Courtney nodded. “You’ve been here from the start, haven’t you?” She asked. “Yeah…” I said. “Exactly… it just took me too long to figure it out” I smiled and started to say something but someone tapped me on the shoulder.

I turned around to see Josh standing there. “Can I cut in?” He asked. Courtney nodded and started dancing with him instead. I sighed and walked back over to Braiden and Connor. “Well… you had her for a while” Braiden said. I nodded and watched them as they danced. After the song ended she gave him a hug and he kissed her. The Courtney walked over to me. “Riley…” She said. “Thanks for your help tonight. Josh just needed to think about some things, we’re back together now” She said. She gave me a hug and then turned and walked over to Josh. I sighed and tried to hide the pain I was now in. “So close, and yet so far” I said quietly. (End Flashback)

“I’m glad you ended up with me in the end” I said. Courtney nodded. “Me too” She said. “I couldn’t ask for anything better than what we have” I smiled. “That’s because nothing is better than what we have” I said. I know where you hide. Alone in your car. Know all of the things that make you who you are. I know that goodbye means nothing at all, comes back and begs me to catch her every time she falls. Tap on my window knock on my door, I want to make you feel beautiful. I don't mind spending everyday, out on your corner in the pouring rain, look for the girl with the broken smile, ask her if she wants to stay awhile. And she will be loved. And she will be loved. And she will be loved. And she will be loved. “This night beats that one too…” Courtney said. I nodded and hugged her tightly.
Please don't try so hard to say goodbye. Please don't try so hard to say goodbye. “Riley…” Courtney said. She said it just as she had those times back in eighth grade. I looked at her. “Promise me you’ll never say goodbye” Courtney said. “I promise…” I said. Courtney rested her head on my chest. “I love you Riley” Courtney whispered. “I love you too” I whispered back. Yeah. I don't mind spending everyday, out on your corner in the pouring rain. Try so hard to say goodbye.

Rachel’s POV

Thomas and I had been dancing for a while, even though I’m not very good… I was hoping to hear our song but the way it seemed so far it didn’t seem like I was going to. I’m just glad tonight has been perfect so far. “See, we’ve been dancing for almost an hour and you’re doing just fine” Thomas said. “That’s because these have been mostly slow songs so I have you leading me” I said. “If it wasn’t a slow song I would be terrible” “I’m sure you’re not as bad as you think” Thomas said. I laughed a bit. “You haven’t seen be dance without you or Connor before” I said. “Are you really that bad?” Thomas asked. “Yes!” Connor cried. He and Emie were dancing next to Thomas and me. I laughed. “Listen to Connor” I said. “Alright, alright” Thomas said.

The next song started playing and I grinned. “Is this what I think it is?” Thomas asked. I nodded. “I Swear” I said. “It’s out song” Thomas smiled and pulled me close to him. I see the questions in your eyes. I know what's weighing on your mind. But you can be sure I know my part, cause I'll stand beside you through the years. You'll only cry those happy tears, and though, I'll make mistakes, I'll never break your heart, I swear, by the moon and stars in the sky, I'll be there. I swear, like the shadow that's by your side, I'll be there, for better or worse, till death do us part, I'll love you with every beat of my heart, I swear. “How did this ever become our song?” Thomas asked. “Don’t tell me you forgot!” I cried. Thomas smiled. “How could I ever forget?” He asked. I'll give you everything I can, I'll build your dreams with these two hands, we'll hang some memories on the wall. And when there's silver in your hair, you won't have to ask if I still care, cause as time turns the page, my love won't age at all.

“I just wanted to hear you tell the story” He said. I smiled. “It was on our first date… we were at the same park we were at the other day and we were walking down the trail” (Flashback) Thomas and I were walking along the trail talking. Even though I had liked him for a while I was still kind of scared about what was going to happen. I didn’t know if Thomas would end up thinking I was boring and want to dump me or what… “Are you okay?” Thomas asked. I shrugged. “I guess so… I’m just tired” I said. “Oh okay…” Thomas said. We went on walking around the lake. “It’s so pretty out here at night” I said. Thomas nodded. “You being out her has something to do with it though” Thomas said. I smiled and blushed. I looked down at the ground. He’s perfect… in everything. He’s the perfect guy… He’s my height and he’s talented and he says the right things and he is gorgeous too…

So why would he want to date me? Couldn’t he date just about any girl that he wanted to? So why on Earth, would he want me to be that girl? It doesn’t make sense to me… and no other guy ever wants to keep me around. Even my own father doesn’t want me most the time. So why does Thomas? I know that he’s different than all the other guys… but still… it doesn’t make any sense to me. “Rachel” Thomas said breaking me out of my thoughts. Which was probably a good thing because they were running around everywhere and I was seriously about to cry from it. “What’s wrong? I can tell something is so don’t say nothing…” Thomas said. He sat down on the bench and patted the seat next to it and I sat down next to him.

I sighed. “I don’t understand…” I said. “Understand what?” Thomas asked. “Why you want to date me… And why you haven’t found me boring and left already” I said. “Every other guy has, even my father so why won’t you? Why haven’t you? It’s not that I want you to… because I don’t want you to… I just don’t understand why you’ve been around me all these years since we met and then you still want to go out with me” Thomas looked at me. “And I don’t understand why even if I make you mad… you’re always there for me and you have no problem with it” I said. “You wanna know why?” Thomas asked. I nodded. “Because I loved you from the moment I laid my eyes on you… Connor had told me so much about you and him and what an amazing best friend you were and I wanted to meet you. So he introduced us that one day… all you said to me was ‘You’re short’ and that’s when I fell in love. And after that, when you came back out and was saying how you’re always so weird and random and apologized for your outburst, that just made me love you even more” Thomas said.

“Really?” I asked. Thomas nodded. “Even though I dated other girls… I still loved you and I still wanted to be with you… but I didn’t think you wanted to be with me so I just had a hard time asking you to go out with me” Thomas said. “But I did like you… it was the same as you… I loved you the moment I saw you… that’s why I did freak out and tell you you’re short” I said. Thomas smiled and wrapped his arms around me. He started singing a song. “I see the questions in your eyes. I know what's weighing on your mind, but you can be sure I know my part, cause I'll stand beside you through the years, you'll only cry those happy tears, and though I'll make mistakes, I'll never break your heart.” Thomas pointed up to the sky covered in stars as he sang the chorus. “I swear, by the moon and stars in the sky, I'll be there. I swear, like the shadow that's by your side, I'll be there. For better or worse, till death do us part, I'll love you with every beat of my heart, I swear.”

Thomas hugged me tightly. “I'll give you everything I can, I'll build your dreams with these two hands, we'll hang some memories on the wall, and when there's silver in your hair, you won't have to ask if I still care, cause as time turns the page, my love won't age at all” Thomas smiled and kissed my cheek. “I swear, by the moon and stars in the sky, I'll be there. I swear, like the shadow that's by your side, I'll be there. For better or worse, till death do us part, I'll love you with every beat of my heart, I swear” I looked over at Thomas and he kissed me softly. “I swear that everything will be alright” He said. I smiled and hugged him tightly. “I love you so much” I said. Thomas smiled and kissed me again. “I love you too” He said. (End Flashback)

“I told you everything would be alright” Thomas said smiling. I smiled and kissed him softly. “It’s been alright for three years, and it will be for, let’s hope, eighty more…” I said. I swear, by the moon and stars in the sky, I'll be there. I swear, like the shadow that's by your side, I'll be there. For better or worse, till death do us part, I'll love you with every beat of my heart, I swear. “That’s make us 98 years old…” Thomas said. I nodded. “Then no doubt they’re be silver in my hair” I said laughing. Thomas laughed. “This is true” He said. Thomas and I sang along softly to the last part of the song. I swear, by the moon and stars in the sky, I'll be there. I swear, like the shadow that's by your side, I'll be there. For better or worse, till death do us part, I'll love you with every beat of my heart. “I swear” I said. “I love you” I swear. Thomas smiled. “I swear, I love you too” He said. I swear.

Emie’s POV

“Watch, our song is going to come on next” I said. “Of course it is” Connor said. “I requested it whenever we got here” “Connor” I said. “You are the greatest” I smiled. “I know” Connor said. I laughed and wrapped my arms tighter around his neck. Connor pulled me closer to him and he just stared into my eyes. “How did I get so lucky?” Connor asked. “To have someone as wonderful, beautiful, and talented as you as my girl” “Well no one beats you” I said. Connor shook his head. “Someone does” He said. “And that someone is you” I shook my head. “Nope…” I said. “Yes, you do. Now stop arguing and dance with me” Connor said. I laughed and our song started playing.

Long steady road, oh travel, be kind. I'm searching for some peace of mind, the home that you know, a home left behind, oh trouble, don't trouble this time. And baby don't look back, odds don't stack, they just crumble down around you. Oh, you gotta go away if you wanna come back, I won't crack I can't make a sound without you. And even if it sounds crazy darling I won't let you go. And even if it don't stop raining darling I won't let you go. And even if the world's burning darling I won't let you go. Even if it sounds crazy darling I won't let you go. “I remember hearing this in the movie we saw on our first date” I said. Connor nodded. “I don’t remember the name of the movie though…” He said. “Just what happened”

(Flashback) Connor and I were finally having our first date. I could not have been happier because I had been waiting for this for a while. I had never heard of the movie we were going to go see… And why we were going to go see it, I have no idea. It sounded like a chick flick… Connor picked me up and he drove to the movies. He got the tickets and I got the popcorn and then we went into the theater. We decided to sit towards the middle since it’s like, the perfect spot. Connor had the popcorn in his lap and I had my purse in mine. Once the movie started more people started coming in. Not too many people, but more people to wear we weren’t the only ones in the theater. From the looks of it, this seemed to be one of the perfect theaters.

I usually hate going to movies for dates, especially first dates because you can’t talk but this movie isn’t that bad from what I have seen so far. I reached for some popcorn and at the same time Connor did. Our hands brushed against each other and I jerked my hand back. I’m lucky this is a dark theater because I felt my cheeks turn a dark shade of red. About ten minutes later Connor pulled ‘the move’ and yawned and stretched and put his arm around me. At first I was a little tense but then I leaned over and laid my head down on his shoulder and snuggled up to him. Connor put his head down on top of mine. The movie seemed to be about a guy who liked a girl but the girl didn’t seem to like the guy too much. I didn’t understand why Connor took me to see this movie…

Then, one night the guy went to the girl’s house and sang outside her window. He sang I Won’t Let You Go (Darling) by Hedley. It’s a beautiful song… I listened to the lyrics more than focusing on the movie at that moment. After the movie ended and we were in the car and Connor was taking me home he asked me what I thought of the movie. “I liked it” I said. “But why did you take me to see it?” I asked. “My mom thought it would be a good first date movie…” Connor said. “And I really like the song in it… songs say things people are too shy to say” I smiled. I understood what he meant by that. “Well thanks for saying you’ll never let me go” I said smiling. Connor smiled and reached over and took my head. “Even if it sounds crazy, I won’t let you go” He said. (End Flashback)

“And I still haven’t let you go” Connor said. I smiled. “No, no you have not” I said. “And I don’t plan to either” He added. Know your way down your music, your town, you never are walking alone. A storm that won't wait, a heart that won't break. Your mountains ain't made out of stone. So baby don't look back odds don't stack. They just crumble down around you. Oh you gotta go away if you wanna come back. I won't crack I can't make a sound without you. And even if it sounds crazy darling I won't let you go. And even if it don't ever stop raining darling I won't let you go. And even if the world's burning darling I won't let you go. Even if it sounds crazy, darling. “I will never ever let you go” Connor said. “Nothing will ever be able to make me” I smiled and Connor pulled me closer to him again.

So Baby don't look back, odds don't stack they just crumble down, around you. Oh you gotta go away, if you wanna come back, I won't crack I can't make a sound without you. And even if it sounds crazy darling I won't let you go. And even if it don't ever stop raining darling I won't let you go. And even if the world's burning darling I won't let you go. Even if it sounds crazy, darling I won't let, you go. No I can't, No I never will, never ever would, No I never could let you go. No I just can't, No I never will, never ever would, No I never could let you go. “I can’t and I won’t” Connor said. I smiled and put my head on his shoulder. “I love you, Connor” No I just can't, No I never will, never ever would, No I never could let you go. “I love you too, darlin’” Connor whispered. No I just can't, No I never will, never ever would, No I never could let you go

Emie’s POV

After the dance was over the ten of us were standing outside by the cars talking. “So are we going to go get something to eat?” Thomas asked. “I’m hungry” Rachel laughed and looked at Connor. Connor nodded. “Hey Emie, where do you want to go?” Connor asked. “Anywhere is good… Food is food” I said. “Then pick a place” Riley said. “Well… Carrabba’s is good…” I said. “Then let’s go” Thomas said. He jumped in the car and Rachel rolled her eyes and followed. Toby and Emily crawled in the back next to them. “Well then… I guess we’re going” Connor said. I laughed and got in the passenger seat of his car. “We’ll meet you there” Connor told Riley. Then he hopped into the driver’s seat and backed out of the parking lot. Riley, Courtney, Braiden and Chiara climbed into Riley’s car and followed behind us.

Connor mumbled something to himself but I couldn’t hear what it was. “What’d you say?” I asked. “What? Oh um nothing” Connor said. I looked at him but then shook my head and looked out the window. I’d really like to know what’s going on here… “I have never been here before… so what’s good?” Rachel asked. “Well it’s Italian” I said. “Yeah I know, but that’s all I know…” Rachel said. I laughed. “Well then, look at the menu and see what taste good, I guess” I told her. “I’m gonna have to do that…” she said. I reached up and turned on the radio. “And next up” The radio announcer said. “The Best Thing by Reliant K” “Aww… I was hoping for you guys’ The Best Thing” I said. “They never play ours…” Thomas said. It's been a year, filled with problems, but now you're here, almost as if to solve them, and I can't live in a world without you now. All my life, I've been searching for you, how did I survive, in this world before you? Cause I don't wanna live another day without you now. This is the best thing, the best thing that could be happening. And I think you would agree, the best thing is that it's, happening to you and me.

Connor smiled. “This song works for us too” He said. Connor reached over and grabbed my hand and squeezed it. All I'm gonna have, is all that you can give me, and I'll give right back, everything I have in me. Cause nothing ever felt as right, as this does right now. I'll go back to before we met, try and erase the past, try harder to forget cause; nothing will ever be as good as here and now. Cause when I looked into your eyes, and you dared to stare right back, you should've said "Nice to meet you, I'm your other half”. “I would have believed you if you said that…” Connor said. I smiled. He’s the best… And this is the best thing, the best thing that could be happening, and I think you would agree, the best thing is that it's happening, this is the best thing (the best thing), The best thing that could be happening (the best thing), And I think you would agree (whoooaaa whooaa), The best thing is that it's, happening to you and me.

We pulled into Carrabba’s parking lot but Connor didn’t turn off the car. “I’m waiting for the end of the song” He said smiling. Always knew, I'd find someone, I never dreamt, it'd be like this. You've surpassed, all that I've hoped for (and ever wished), and I'm tryin', so hard, with all my heart and mind, to make your life, as good as you've made mine. Connor was looking at me and smiling and nodding. I laughed. “Connor, you have already made my life amazing” I said. Connor smiled and leaned over and kissed my cheek. This is the best thing (the best thing), the best thing that could be happening (the best thing), and I think you would agree (whooaaa); the best thing is that it's happening to you and me. The best thing is that it's happening to you and me. The best thing is that it's happening to you and me. (The best thing), the best thing that could be happening. (The best thing), I think you would agree, the best thing is that it's happening to you and me.

The song faded out and Connor turned off the car and came to my door and opened it for me. “The best thing is that it’s happening, to you and me” Connor sang. He took my hand and we danced around the parking lot for a bit. Riley pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car. “Let me guess, you heard The Best Thing on the radio?” He asked. “How did you know?” I asked. “Because I know my brother” Riley said. He snickered. “And because we were listening to that radio station too” Courtney added. “You couldn’t let me have this one thing?” Riley whined. “Nope” Courtney said laughing. “Let’s go eat now” Thomas said. “I am starving” “Thomas!” Rachel cried smacking his arm. “I’m hungry too” Emily said. “Then let’s go” I said happily. Connor and I headed up to the door and everyone followed behind us. Connor and I had our hands intertwined and we were swinging them back and forth as we walked. Connor got up to the door and opened it for me. “After you, my lady” Connor said smiling. “Why thank you, kind sir” I said walking in.

We walked inside and followed the waitress to the back. Since there were ten of us, and we’re all teenagers… they stuck us in the back of the restaurant so we wouldn’t disturb anyone. Not like we live to do that or anything. Sometimes we do but not on purpose, and usually it’s only because we’re laughing… at Thomas… Oh well, now we get privacy, somewhat anyways… there are still other people in the other tables around us. “Hi, welcome to Carrabba’s. I’m Alexis and I will be your waitress this evening. What can I get you to drink?” The waitress asked. “Waters, for all of us” Connor said. Alexis nodded and walked away. “We have enough energy as it is, we don’t need sugar and caffeine” Connor said giving Toby and Emily a look. “Hey, don’t look at me!” Emily cried. “I get all my energy from you guys” “I get mine from her” Toby said glancing at Emily. He smiled and that made Emily smile. “They are just the cutest” I said. Connor nodded. “They really are” He put his arm around me and hugged me tightly.

“So are you two” Chiara said looking at the two of us. “You two are the perfect couple… Definitely a match made in Heaven” Braiden said. I looked at Connor and smiled. Alexis came back with our waters and set them down on the table in front of us. “Are you ready to order now?” She asked. “Yeah, I think so” Connor said. “I’ll have the Rose Mezzaluna” “I’ll take the spaghetti” Riley said. “Same here but add meatballs” Toby said. “I’ll have the Chicken Parmesan” Thomas said. “And I’ll take the lasagna” Braiden said. “That’s only five dishes… there’s ten of you” Alexis said. “We’re cheap… so we share” Connor said. Alexis looked at him and then rolled her eyes. “Whatever” She said. Alexis took our menus and walked away. I started laughing. “Really Connor?” I asked. “We’re cheap?” Connor laughed. “Yup, we’re cheap tonight” He said. I laughed and gave him a kiss. “Connor McDonough, I love you” I said. Connor smiled. “I love you too” He said.

I looked at all my friends sitting at the table. Chiara and Braiden were sitting there talking, Rachel and Thomas were thumb wrestling, Riley has his arm around Courtney and she looked so comfortable and like she was about to fall asleep, and Emily and Toby were sitting there having a staring contest. My friends are so weird, but they are no doubt some of the greatest people ever. A song started playing on the radio and it caught Connor’s attention. “What song is it now?” I asked. “Must Have Done Something Right by Reliant K” Connor said smiling. Connor pushed his seat back. “C’mon Emie” He said holding out his hand. “Dance with me” I shook my head. “Not in public…” I said. “Yes, now come on” Connor said. He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of my chair and we started dancing in the space between all the tables. We should get jerseys cause we make a good team, but yours would look better than mine, cause you're outta my league. And I know that it's so cliché to tell you that everyday, I spend with you is the new best day of my life. Everyone watching us just turns away with disgust, it's jealously, they can see that we've got it going on.

“This is so accurate” I said. “Just look at the looks we’re getting now” Connor laughed as he looked around the room. “Let them stare, I don’t mind. They just want to look at the most beautiful girl in the room” I blushed and smiled. And I'm racking my brain for a new improved way, to let you know your more to me than what I know how to say. You're OK with the way this is going to be, this is going to be the best thing we've ever seen. If anyone can make me a better person you could. All I gotta say is I must've done something good. I came along one day and you rearranged my life. All I gotta say is I must've done something right, I must've done something right. “You did do something right” I said smiling. Connor smiled and pulled me closer to him. “Are you sure I didn’t do everything wrong?” Connor asked. “Not a thing” I told him.

Connor smiled and the two of us danced around some more. Maybe I'm just lucky cause it's hard to believe, believe that somebody like you'd end up with someone like me. And I know that it's so cliché to talk about you this way, but I'll push all my inhibitions aside. It's so very obvious to everyone watching us, that we have got something real good going on. And I'm racking my brain for a new improved way, to let you know your more to me than what I know how to say. You're OK with the way this is going to be, this is going to be the best thing we've ever seen. If anyone can make me a better person you could. All I gotta say is I must've done something good. I came along one day and you rearranged my life. All I gotta say is I must've done something right, I must've done something right.

“You did something right too” Connor said smiling. I smiled and he spun me around and started singing along to the song. If anyone can make me a better person you could. All I gotta say is I must've done something good. I came along one day and you rearranged my life. All I gotta say is I must've done something right, I must've done something right. If anyone can make me a better person you could. All I gotta say is I must've done something good. I came along one day and you rearranged my life. All I gotta say is I must've done something right, I must've done something right. “We get it, you did something right” Thomas said. Connor and I laughed and sat back down and then a few minutes later Alex brought our food to us. “If you need anything else, just let me know” Alexis said. “Alright, will do” Connor said. Alex mumbled something and then walked away. “Dang… tonight is just a night full of Reliant K” Connor said.

He motioned with his fork up to the speaker. “Who I Am Hates Who I’ve Been…” Rachel said. “How did you know? The music hasn’t even started yet” Chiara said. “Personal reasons…” Rachel said. Chiara nodded and took another bite of her lasagna. I watched the proverbial sunrise, coming up over the Pacific and, you might think I'm losing my mind, but I will shy away from the specifics... cause I don't want you to know where I am, cause then you'll see my heart, in the saddest state it's ever been. This is no place to try and live my life. Stop right there. That's exactly where I lost it. See that line. Well I never should have crossed it. Stop right there. Well I never should have said, that it's the very moment that, I wish that I could take back.

“It seems like a good song” I said. Rachel nodded. “It is…” She said quietly. I'm sorry for the person I became. I'm sorry that it took so long for me to change. I'm ready to be sure I never become that way again, cause who I am hates who I've been. Who I am hates who I've been. I talk to absolutely no one. Couldn't keep to myself enough. And the things bottled inside have finally begun, to create so much pressure that I'll soon blow up. I heard the reverberating footsteps, synching up to the beating of my heart, and I was positive that unless I got myself together, I would watch me fall apart. And I can't let that happen again, cause then you'll see my heart, in the saddest state it's ever been. This is no place to try and live my life. “What the story behind the song?” Chiara asked. Rachel looked down at her plate. “I’d rather not say…” She said. “Oh, that’s alright” Chiara said.

Stop right there. That's exactly where I lost it. See that line. Well I never should have crossed it. Stop right there. Well I never should have said, that it's the very moment that, I wish that I could take back. Stop right there. That's exactly where I lost it. See that line. Well I never should have crossed it. Stop right there. Well I never should have said, that it's the very moment that, I wish that I could take back. I'm sorry for the person I became. I'm sorry that it took so long for me to change. I'm ready to be sure I never become that way again, cause who I am hates who I've been. Who I am hates who I've been. Who I am hates who I've been, and who I am will take the second chance you gave me. Who I am hates who I've been, cause who I've been only ever made me... So sorry for the person I became. So sorry that it took so long for me to change. I'm ready to be sure I never become that way again, cause who I am hates who I've been. Who I am hates who I've been. “But you’re perfectly fine now” Thomas said kissing her cheek. Rachel smiled and gave Thomas a hug. “I love you” She whispered. Thomas smiled. “I love you too” He whispered back.

Another song began to play and this one we all recognized. “All Time Low!” The ten of cried. We started laughing and waiting for the song to start. Time to lay claim to the evidence, fingerprints sold me out, but our footprints washed away from the docks downtown. It's been getting late for days, and I think myself deserving of a little time off, we can kick it hang for hours, and just mouth off about the world, and how we know it's going straight to hell. Pass me another bottle, honey, the Jager's so sweet, but if it keeps you around then I'm down. Meet me on Thames Street, I'll take you out though I'm hardly worth your time. In the cold you look so fierce, but I'm warm enough, because the tension's like a fire. We'll hit South Broadway in a matter of minutes, and like a bad movie, I'll drop a line. Fall in the grave I've been digging myself, nut there's room for two, six feet under the stars.

Connor and Riley started to sing along with the song. I should have known better than to call you out (On a night like this, a night like this). If not for you, I know I'd tear this place to the ground (But I'm alright like this, alright like this). I'm gonna roll the dice before you sober up and get gone (I'm always in over my head). Thames Street, I'll take you out though I'm hardly worth your time. In the cold you look so fierce, but I'm warm enough, because the tension's like a fire. We'll hit South Broadway in a matter of minutes, and like a bad movie, I'll drop a line. Fall in the grave I've been digging myself, but there's room for two, six feet under the stars. Connor and Riley stopped singing and we just sat there in silence listening to the song. Time to lay claim to the evidence, fingerprints sold me out, but our footprints washed away, I'm guilty, but I'm safe for one more day. Overdressed and underage (what a letdown). "Do you really need to see an ID?" This is embarrassing as hell (what a letdown). But I can cover for it so well, when we're six feet under the stars. Thames Street, I'll take you out though I'm hardly worth your time, in the cold you look so fierce, but I'm warm enough, because the tension's like a fire. We'll hit South Broadway in a matter of minutes, and like a bad movie, I'll drop a line. Fall in the grave I've been digging myself, but there's room for two, six feet under the stars. Six feet under the stars. Six feet under the stars.

“They should pay us for all the entertainment we’ve provided tonight” Connor said. “Or just give us a free dinner” I said. “But no one liked our entertainment” Riley said. “They glared at you when you guys danced and whenever we were singing” “Yeah, that’s true…” Connor said. Alexis came to collect our dishes and Rachel grabbed her arm and whispered something to her. She nodded and came back a few minutes later with a guitar. “Wow… they actually had one” Connor said. Rachel took it and handed it to Connor who took it and stood up. “Attention ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to sing a song” He said. “I’d also like to dedicate this song to my beautiful girlfriend, Emie” Connor added smiling at me. Connor started to play the guitar. “I've been a walking heartache, I've made a mess of me. The person that I've been lately, ain't who I wanna be, but you stay here right beside me, and watch as the storm blows through, and I need you” Connor sang.

“Cause God gave me you for the ups and downs. God gave me you for the days of doubt, and for when I think I lost my way. There are no words here left to say, it's true, God gave me you, gave me you. There's more here than what we're seeing, a divine conspiracy. That you, an angel lovely, could somehow fall for me. You'll always be love's great martyr, and I'll be the flattered fool, and I need you. Yeah! God gave me you for the ups and downs. God gave me you for the days of doubt. And for when I think I lost my way, there are no words here left to say, it's true, God gave me you. On my own I'm only, half of what I could be. I can't do without you, we are stitched together, and what love has tethered, I pray we never undo. Cause God gave me you for the ups and downs. God gave me you for the days of doubt. God gave me you for the ups and downs. God gave me you for the days of doubt. And for when I think I lost my way, there are no words here left to say, it's true. God gave me you, gave me you. He gave me you.”

Connor stopped singing and put the guitar down. “Emie Wren Johnson” Connor said taking my hands. “I love you, more than anything else in this world” Tears started to form in my eyes. Connor pulled out a little tiny box and opened it up. “Will you marry me?”