Devil May Cry Backstory

Author's note: This was an assignment for my creative writing class. We were to take a popular video game series...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This was an assignment for my creative writing class. We were to take a popular video game series and add a new character with a new back story.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

The Meeting

(Sintheia) Knock, Knock, Knock. I rose from my couch and pushed mute on the remote control. After I had pushed my black hair out of my face, I opened the door. When the door opened, my heart skipped a beat. He stood in the doorframe with his hand poised as if to knock again. “Dante?” Surprised leaked into my voice. He smiled a meek smile and nodded towards the other man that stood beside him, “Hey, Sintheia. It’s been awhile. We need to ask you something. First, can we come in?” My voice was the coldest I could make it. “You owe me three grand. Until I have my three grand, you’re not getting any more money from me.” The man that stood beside Dante cleared his throat, “May we please come in. Dante isn’t asking for money this time. I wouldn’t be if he was.” “Friend? Dante‘s only friends are the ones who can give him his next high. You can’t pull the wool over my eyes. He has no real friends.” Slowly I opened the door and stepped aside for them. “But, if Dante doesn’t want money, this must be important. If not, I’ll throw you both over my balcony.” The man that claimed to be Dante’s friend nodded at me and practically dragged Dante in with me. “Thank you for letting us explain. I hope you’ll understand what’s happening.” There was no helping to notice that this man and Dante seemed to be close. He had light colored hair that was up in a ponytail. “Dante, tell me who this man is.” Proud of myself for not letting my voice shake. I turned to him. “You told me that you trusted no one. Even me. Is that why you put a knife to my throat?” “Look,” Dante knew I was pissed. He was hiding behind his friend “I know you’re confused. I know I‘ve really f*ed up our relationship but I really need your help. It turns out that I‘m human and that I have to trust people.” Gesturing towards his friend, he finished looking embarrassed. “Jesus, Dante, Your more f*ed up than me.” I shook my head and then I remembered that Dante wanted to ask me something. Knowing Dante, it’s probably what the best pizza joint in town is. “What did you need to ask me about anyways?” Vergil sighed before he spoke. “We need your help on chasing down a demon. Dante told me that you have many connections down below.” “Sintheia, please.” Dante gently put his hand on my shoulder. “We both need your help.” His blue eyes were full to the brim with tears. “I know I’ve been horrible to you, but I swear I’ll make it up to you.” A single tear fell down his face. The upset look on Dante‘s face melted the ice around my foolish heart. “Okay, I’ll do what I can.” Standing at perfect position, I kissed his left eye, taking the yet to form tears from him. “You’ve been the reason of many tears from me. I won’t be the reason for any tears from you.” Vergil coughed politely and nodded his head at the door. “Dante, we need to get our weapons ready. It’ll be a long drive.” A smooth smile came across my face, “I have weapons. You’re welcome to look and if you see anything you want, let me load it up and you can have it.” Dante nodded and walked down my hallway to a black door with three separate locks on it. “Uh, Sintheia, how do I open this door?” “You don’t. That’s my job.” I walked past them to my open bedroom. Funny, I thought I shut my door. I opened a drawer on my cherry oak nightstand. I thumbed through all of the papers and pulled out a set of keys. I jogged back to where Dante and Vergil stood; I felt a prick of pain on the back of my neck. I turned around searching for what caused the pain. Seeing nothing, I turned back to the men. “Sorry. I thought I felt something.” Dante shrugged as Vergil nodded an okay at me. After unlocking the door, I looked at the boys with a huge grin on my face. “Get ready for your socks to be knocked clear off.” (Vergil) When Sintheia opened the door to her arsenal, I couldn’t help it but a low whistle escaped from my teeth. This chick had everything from innovative swords to hand guns. She had to have traveled around the world to get this many weapons. It was insane! Dante glanced at me and smirked. “This was bigger; I took some of it home. I’m trying to create my own arsenal.” Sintheia walked in and looked around. “What kind of demon are we trying to find?” Dante frowned, “We’re not really sure.” He glanced at me for help. “I think Vergil said it acts like a Beowolf, but it walks on two legs.” Sintheia glanced at me and I noticed how beautiful she really was. Her black, curly hair was thick and curled to perfection Her violet eyes could stare right into a man’s soul. Into my soul. Dante’s a dick. He brought me here for a reason and I doubt it was to get weapons. He wanted to show off. You’ve been the reason of many tears from me. . . Sintheia’s words echoed in my mind. Dante must have done something horrible to her. . . “Dante’s right, it acts like a Beowolf but it doesn’t walk on all four. I thought that maybe it could be a demon some one created but I’m not sure.” Sintheia nodded and turned away from us, “Man-made means you have to have short hand blades and silver bullets. I’m sure I have enough to go around.” Surprise laced the outermost fringes of my mind. This girl not only owned the weapons, she knew what she was talking about. Dante sure knows how to pick ‘them. What does or did she see in him? Shaking my head, I moved towards one wall and watched Sintheia pull down hand blades and guns. “Vergil doesn’t use guns.” Dante suddenly said when Sintheia pulled down a certain gun. “Why?” Annoyance was clear in her face. “It’s the only long range way to kill a man-made.” She turned to stare at me, “Is it against your code of honor or something?” “I just don’t think that a true warrior should have to lower himself to the level of guns. They’re almost like cheating.” Sintheia considered what I said as she pulled down a set of hand blades. “Nicely said. It would have taken Dante almost three months to think of that.” Again she turned and pulled down a sawed off shotgun. “However, I don’t believe that any weapons have levels. Their importance goes down to the wire. The only true weapon is the one you use to save your ass from being slaughtered while in a fight.” I nodded in agreement. “Good point.” Dante burst into laughter, “Holy s***! The well worded Vergil just ran out of words to say!” Sintheia frowned at him, “Yeah, at least Vergil knows when to accept defeat and leave a subject alone. You should learn from him. How many fights did you start because you thought you were right?” Dante pouted and grumbled under his breath. It was along the lines of “Damn Vergil thinks he’s so much better than me!” I know I shouldn’t have laughed at him. It would just encourage him, but I couldn’t help it. Dante was just enough crazy to balance out the annoying. Sintheia laughed too. Her laugh was like a wind chime in a fifty-mile gust. “Well, you guys can fight it out, but I have to find something to eat.” Dante turned to me with an excited look on his face, “Ask her about her Taco Salad.” I sighed, poked my head out the door, and looked straight into the eyes of a demon. “Dante, it’s time to start firing those bullets.” My voice grew with volume. “There’s a demon here.” That’s when I heard a scream from the living room.