Hunger Wars - The Legend of KILL

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Blueberries

The sun was shining, the temperature warm, and the area nearby very beautiful. the only thing that seemed to lessen the world’s beauty for Less at the moment, was the patrolling party below her. Less was high up in a tree, concealed in the branches and leaves. the tribute Hunters were the patrolling party below her at the moment, looking for her they were. Less was from distract eleven, the poorest district of the last three remaining of the twelve. Less was not sure what the date exactly was but she knew it was precisely two hundred and fourteen three years since the great and remembered Hunger Games ended, the distracts free of the horrible sport forever. “if only those times were now!” Less thought as the patrol party started to move on from her position “I would rather fight in the Hunger games, than in the brutal pass time the districts have now.” Less was talking about Hunger Wars. over fifty years ago, the land erupted into war. thousands upon thousands died, each side using their highly advanced weapons. when it became clear that they would destroy themselves before anyone won the war, the remaining districts decided to revive an old war solution and put a spin on it, Hunger games changed. Hunger wars is much the same as Hunger games, each district puts up tributes, and the winner would receive the spoils, as well as their district. the things that were changed where you can put in as many tributes as your district number allows, Eleven can put in Eleven, district five can put in Five tributes, and district seven can put in Seven tributes. these tributes were chosen by the Tribute hunters, they traveled and searched for the best fighters they could to put into Hunger wars. in truth, Less did not know why they wanted her. she was a small twelve year old girl, with blond hair and a frail body. she doubted she could kill a boy her age, let alone possibly seven or five twice her age. what Less was good at was hiding, stealing, climbing. the people of her district called her a Rue child, referring to a person who once played in the ancient Hunger Games. many people were obsessed with Hunger wars, for if a district won, they received territories, supplies, allegiances and people from the other two districts. “In as much as they bet, they receive” Less remembered the ancient saying went. after waiting a few minutes, Less began to climb down the tree. Once her feet were firmly on the ground, Less cautiously looked around and started to walk away. the forest around was very wild looking and any other person might have gotten lost, but not Less, she always knew her way. Less maybe was small but she had impressive advantage, she had a photographic memory, she could remember everything she saw perfectly. Less built a map of this area in her head from much time she spent her, many scavenging and hiding. besides avoiding the tribute hunters, Less was in the forest today to look for freshly grown fruits. it was an almost pointless task sure, for most of the other scavengers got all the new grown fruits first, but Less knew this forest better than anyone. if there was something left, she would find it. as if by thinking it, Less spotted a blueberry tree, with yet a few berries still unclaimed amongst the tallest branches. Less smiled, and proceeded to climb the tree, the very tall tree. these types of leftovers were always Less’s to get, no one else has the time or cleverness to get the berries that are too high to get. it took less a few minutes but she climbed as high as she could without the branches starting to snap under her weight, still at least seven feet away from the berries. Less gave a sigh and pulled out a small knife sheathed in her boot. Less than started to cut one of the branches near her, a branch that was the root for the branches with the blueberries. a few minutes past the branch Less was cutting, snapped when it almost was cut all the way through. the branch fell all the way to the ground, the blueberries bouncing off it as it smashed to the floor. Less gave another smile as she climbed down the tree and collected her berries. “twenty two berries” Less said as she looked at all the blueberries she collected in a small bag “not a bad score, but that still does not leave me with much.” with a sigh Less tied the bag to her belt buckle and moved on to find some more food.

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

im_awesomeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 20 at 3:59 pm
this is awesome. i love it!!!