This Can't Be Happening | Teen Ink

This Can't Be Happening

April 5, 2012
By IMme2 BRONZE, farmington, New Mexico
More by this author
IMme2 BRONZE, Farmington, New Mexico
2 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
just be yourself not some one your not.
- unknown


“Are you all ready for your first day tomorrow you little brat?” said my mom voice full of hatred and spite.

“Yes, mama. I just need one more thing.” I said timidly keeping my head down and avoiding eye contact.

“Oh yea? What’s that you little twit?” mom said her voice dripping with venom.
“My wand, mama.” I said glancing at her through my thick curtain of long pin straight black hair that I usually use to hide my face which hides my eyes that will always conceal my feelings. When my mom first started to drink and started to beat me I vowed to myself that I would never ever let anyone see my pain or any of my feelings.


I also vowed that I wouldn’t ever let anyone back into my heart and or close to me, and no one will see me cry. After what had happened with my mom, I won’t be able to handle any more hurt in my life. Mom sighed and grabbed my shoulder and roughly pushed my towards the fire that had been burning for a while now.


She grabbed the large vase that was sitting on the mantel, she shoved her hand violently in the vase and grabbed a handful of glittering Floo powder and threw it into the fire. Their was a loud roar and the fire turned a blue green color that grew higher than my 5’2 stature. I walked into the flames feeling the warmth of the fire engulf me. I shouted “Diagon Alley!” as I tucked my elbows in tight and shut my eyes closed. Seconds later I was thrown from the fire place in the Leaky Cauldron. I got up and dusted my self off and went to the counter and asked the bartender if he could give me the clothes brush thats always behind the counter. He hands it to me and brushed my self down, after I was done I put the brush back on the counter and headed out to the alley. I walked down to Ollivander's and walked in. It was a small dark place...


As I walked into the shop I instantly got chills running up and down my spine. A tall man with milky white eyes that seems never to blink had walked up to me from the darkness of the shops deep corners. It was really nerve wrecking just to have him stare down at you and never blink. He slid along the floor as if he was levitating. “Can I help you?” his voice sounded as if it didn’t belong to him but from somewhere behind the man.
“Um, yea I need a wand?” it came out like a question and I would have thought that it wasn’t my voice but somebody else's.

“Of course you do now I just need to take a few measurements…” the strange man said as three tape measures appeared in his hand. The muttered a few words under his breath and the tape measures began to fly all around me taking measurements of my body. While the tape measures were flying every where around me the man started to look around the building at the bookcases filled with boxes. He stepped onto a stool and took down a box and handed me a wand…

“Eucalyptus, very strong, stiff, 10 inches. Great fro casting spells and hexes.” The man winked at me and said. I waved my hand as if I was casting a spell and sparks flew and my whole arm went warm with a surge of power. I saw the sparks fly to a tall tree looking thing and exploded.

“Well, that was different. I usually test a few wands to get the feel but this must be a sign. Wether its a good one or a bad one I cannot tell you.” The old man said. “Anyway that will be seven galleons.” He said holding his hand out for the money.

“Oh yea...Right.” I said as I pulled out the gold coins. I grabbed the wand and walked out the door as fast as I could, without running.

Once I was out of the store and on the street I looked to see how much money I had left after the wand purchase. I had two sickles, left so I went to go get some ice cream. After I left the ice cream parlor I went to the Leaky Cauldron, and Floo’d back to the house. As I floo’d to the house I started to think about how wonderful it would be one I got to Hogwarts, Or even better than that, how great it would be once I got on the train. A whole school year without my mom, wow that’d be just perfect.

I walked out of the fire place to find my mom passed out on the couch and a broken vase was laying on the floor next to the fire place. A bottle of vodka spilled on the carpet next to the couch where my mom was passed out. As I walked out of the living room and into the kitchen I wondered about who was and who could be my father… and on second thought who was also my mom, because I know for sure that this woman is not my mom. I mean I look nothing like her.. She has short curly blonde hair and I have long pin straight black hair…. She has brownish hazel eyes. I have green eyes so I know she’s not my mother..

I walked into my bedroom and laid on top of my bed and started to think about how awesome the kids and people at Hogwarts and how they will act with me being a pureblood and living in the muggle world, most pure bloods hate mud-bloods and look down upon them. So meeting other pure-bloods knowing that they will look down on me and my mom, but who in the heck cares what they think. Because I sure don’t … after about half an hour later I felt sleepy, I looked at the clock and it was 10:30 so I felt I turned over and fell asleep in my jeans.

I woke up the next morning to hear my mom stumbling down the hall to her room. I looked at the clock and it read 6:00 in the morning so I got up and gathered my clothes and went into the bathroom to take a shower. When I got out I blow dried my hair. Then I went back to my room and started to pack all of my belongings and then I grabbed my kitten jinx, I named him that because the woman that I bought him from said that when he was born his mother had been jinxed and if the mother cat had been jinxed a few seconds earlier the kitten would have died with its siblings.

I put jinx into his cat carrier and fed him a treat, and grabbed my stuff and went into the kitchen to call a cab…

When the cab got to the house. I packed all of my things inside the trunk and I got in the back seat and told the driver that I wanted to go to Kings Cross…

When I got to the train station I grabbed my bags and went to the barrier that divided 9 and ten. Looking around I couldn’t for the life of me see where platform 9 3/4 was. I looked around very, very confused. Then I saw a very peculiar family walk by, they all had silvery blonde hair. Two adults and one kid that looked around my age. The kid looked over at me and saw my confused look, smiled, said something to his parents and came over to me. “Hey, you look confused.” He said in an amused voice.

“Umm, yea I guess you can say that again, any ways do you know how to get to…” I trailed off wondering if I should risk talking of wizardly stuff to a muggle.

“Platform 9 3/4?..” He said flashing me a dazzling smile. I smiled back relived that I didn’t get embarrassed.

“Uh, yea I was kind of hoping that you were a wizard... So where is it? Do we have to like cast a spell or something?” I said excited by the idea of casting my first spell. The boy laughed.

“Ha! No, are you crazy?! You just have to walk through the wall.” He said smiling as if he knew something I didn’t.

“I’m crazy? You just told me I have to walk through a wall to get to the platform.” I said looking at him like he was an alien. He looked at me as if he was talking to the dumbest person on the earth.

“Wow, come on your going with me.” He said as he grabbed my hand and pulled me and my stuff through the wall. I closed my eyes and gripped the boy’s hand tighter as we were passing through the wall. When we stopped he let go of my hand and said. “Hey you can open your eyes now.” By the sound of his voice he was somewhere to the side of me. When I finally got the courage to open my eyes I saw pointed witch hats and wizard robes everywhere. I looked around amazed that you really do have to walk through a wall to get to the platform…


“Wow don’t I feel stupid right now.” I said still looking around at everyone. But then something came to my mind… “Hey umm. I don’t know your name…” I said looking at his eyes noticing how grey they were, you could almost call them silver…

“Name’s Draco. Now how about you giving me your name and we will call it even.” He said sticking his hand out. “Sophia.” I said shaking his hand. “So when do we have to board the train?” I asked looking at the giant maroon train.

“Umm you can board now if you want but don’t you want to say good bye to your parents?” he said looking around for my parents.

“My parents didn’t come with me, they were… busy.” I lied.
“Oh, O.K then umm you want to sit with me on the train? Because if you do I just have to say good-bye to my parents real quick.” He said watching for my reaction. “Uh, sure why not? I said smiling at him and his parents behind him.












Draco turned around and said. “Good-bye father.” in a very formal way as if he was talking to a king or something. Then Draco turned to his mother. I was expecting to say good-bye to her like he did his father but I was wrong. “Bye mum. Be safe o.k?” he said as he gave his mother a hug. Then me and Draco picked up our belongings and headed to the Hogwarts express. He lead me to the door and down the hall to an empty compartment and helped me put our bags on the top shelf. When that was done we sat across from each other.

“How come you said good- bye to your father all formal like?” I asked him.
“Because he hans’t really raised me he just punishes me when I do something wrong. But my mum on the other hand, she has been there forever.”

“Oh, well then. You have……” I was cut off by a pig faced girl and two body guard looking guys they were all about me and Draco’s age.

“Draco! We’ve been looking all over for you! How have you been?” said the pig faced girl. Draco looked at me apologetically and said. “Hello Pansy, I’ve been good. Hey have you guys met Sophia before? She’s starting her first year of Hogwarts just like us.” He said gesturing to me.

“Umm, hi are you a pureblood?” Pansy asked me looking as if she smelt something bad. “Pansy!! How dare you be this rude!” Draco said.

“Uh, Draco its o.k. Ah, actually yes I am a pure blood not that its any of your business.” I smiled sweetly at her. “So your Pansy? And who are the guys in the back?” I said smiling slyly looking at Draco.

“Yes, I’m Pansy Parkinson, and these goons are Crabbe and Goyle.” she said gesturing the guys with her hand. Then she sat next to Draco, and scooted over to where their sides were touching and Pansy rested her head on Draco’s shoulder. All the while Draco looked really uncomfortable. He looked at me and mouthed ‘Help me!’, I smiled.

“Hey Pans, don’t you think you should let the guys sit together?” I asked her while patting the seat next to me.

“Did you just call me Pans?” she looked shocked. “Uh, yea? Is that a bad thing?” I asked confused. Her face lit up like a kid on christmas. “No! Not at all I actually have been trying to get a nickname, but never could find one that wasn’t stupid.”she said as she walked over to me and sat down next to me. She faced me and started to talked about how her family is soo rich and is real famous in the wizarding world. But I ended cutting her off to ask. “so do you guys know what house your gonna be sorted into?” I looked around at the people in the compartment.
“Yup, we all are going to be sorted into Slytherin. What about you?” Draco said.

“I truly have no idea, my birth mom was in Griffindor but my dad was in Slytherin. But my dad left my mom and me when I was still in her belly. And my adopted mom is an alcoholic but she is always saying I look and act just like my dad so maybe I’ll be in Slytherin.” I said truthfully. After I finished explaining the whole thing I looked up to see everyone staring at me. Thankfully there was a knock on the door and it snapped all of them out of their trance.

“Oh, that the signal for us to change into our school robes.” Pansy said. She and I went to the dressing rooms and switched into our school robes and went back to the compartment. When we got back to the compartment me and Pansy were the first ones back. So we sat down opposite of each other and waited for the others. When the train came to a stop we all grabbed our stuff an headed to the lake where all the first years were to gather before heading towards the main hall to Hogwarts. The boat ride up to Hogwarts was nice and quiet.

So for the duration of the ride I let my mind wander. And I started to think about which house I would be sorted into, for sure not Griffindor, and definitely not Hufflepuff. Grifindor’s were supposed to be bold and courageous, and I was neither, Hufflepuff’s were supposed to be patient and unafraid of toil, and thanks to my mom I’m super afraid of toil. So that just leaves Ravenclaw who are supposed to be wise and love knowledge, which I don’t… so that just leaves Slytherin, who are supposed to be cunning, I am, and they will do anything to get what they want, which I do. So based on that I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be sorted into the Slytherin house….


Professor McGonagall silently placed a four legged stool in front of the first years. On top of the stool she put a pointed wizard’s hat... The hat twitched. A rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth - and the hat began to sing:


“Oh,you may not think I’m pretty,



But don’t judge on what you see,

I’ll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You keep your bowlers black

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I’m the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There’s nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can’t see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Griffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Griffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you’ve a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You’ll make your real friends,

Those cunning folks use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don’t be afraid!

And don’t get in a flap!

Your in safe hands (though I have none)

For I’m a Thinking Cap!”

The whole hall burst into applause as the hat finished its song.*


Professor McGonagall started to call out names in alphabetical order… “ Abbott, Hannah!”…
“Evans, Sophia!” I calmly strode over to the chair and sat down and put the hat over my head…
“Huh, Well this is interesting. Do you know who your father is?” said a small whisper in my ear. And I thought about how when ever I ask my mum who he was she would always freeze up. “Hmmm, well your mind is very much like his and you’ll be as powerful as he is, but I can see that you won’t follow in his foot steps. This is a pretty easy decision to make… you’ll be in SLYTHERIN!” I took off the hat and strode happily to the table that was clapping very loudly. I made sure there was am empty seat next to me and three empty ones in front of me.






“Malfoy,Draco!” Draco walked gracefully and confidently up to the stool. The Hat had barley fell upon his silver haired head then did it scream out “SLYTHERIN!” I stood up happily and cheered as loudly as the rest of the table. He looked at me and smiled widely at me and came to sit next to me. “Pansy Parkinson!” Pansy practically ran to the chair. Once she put the Hat on it was there for a good three minutes before calling out “SLYTHERIN!” The next person they called was the person I least expected. “Potter,Harry!” when they called his name every one in the hall got silent. Then the whispers broke out. “Hey is that the Harry Potter?” I asked Draco. “Yup.” Draco said not looking so happy.

“Whats wrong Draco?” I asked him looking at him. “I had a little run in with him when we were dressing in to our robes. I asked him if he would like to sit with us and find his real friends and a filthy mud blood and poor red headed came to his rescue saying they were his real friends. So I told him if he ever got tired of living with the lower class people then he can come hang out with us and he got up in my face saying he would never do that, so I’m a bit miffed.” he said with disgust. So in sympathy and to calm him down I put my hand on his arm and said “Well he’s missing out in true friends.” I looked at him and smiled. Then the Hat called out “GRIFFINDOR!” and Harry Potter went to join his friends. Draco looked at me and smiled back and covered my hand with his. Then the food came and I moved my hand to the silverware almost immediately. Draco laughed and said. “Hungry much?” I laughed and said..

“Well, yea I haven’t eaten breakfast so yea I’m starving.” But then again he didn’t know that I haven’t eaten in a week because of my mom being drunk and always being in the kitchen. Then I dug into the extravagant turkey dish and forgot all about my mom. After I finished the turkey a plate of mashed potatoes appeared with I cup of gravy. I poured the gravy over the mashed potatoes. And dug in. When that mashed potatoes plate was done Draco, Pansy,Crabbe,and Goyle were all full, but I wasn’t not eating for a week really gives you an appetite. The only people left eating were me and a few male Slytherins in their 4th year. Draco was looking at me like I was some kind of painting that had caught his interest. For he would not stop staring at me. The next course that was summoned for those who were still eating was dessert, they severed mint chocolate chip ice-cream, with apple pie. When I had finished the apple pie I was the only Slytherin still eating. “Wow! How long has it been since you last ate?” Draco asked in awe.
“Mmm… bout a week I think… yea bout a week.” I said thinking bout how badly I wanted some carrot cake rolls right now. And POOF! There it was in front of me, and I dug in. A 5th year Slytherin a few seats down said. “How can a twenty pound girl eat a hundred pounds of food?” that remark got a few laughs from the Slytherins, while I just started to giggle about it. Once I had finally finished and, man was I full! Professor Mcgonagall had all the house leaders lead theirs kids to the houses. Once we got to the Slytherin house there was a rather large painting on the wall in front of us with a giant king looking person on a throne. I was about to turn to Draco and ask who was in the painting. Draco was one step ahead of me. “That’s Salazar Slytherin himself. The founder of this very house.” Draco told me. I was amazed at how regal and aristocratic he looked. So one other thought crossed my mind.. Is being vain another characteristic of a Slytherin? If so I would hate to find out what they think when they hear I’m not… you know Vain?

Snape


‘Great! Just perfect! Another lousy year teaching sniveling little brats at the god forsaken excuse for a castle!’ I thought as I got out of bed to go to the kitchen. I went to the counter and grabbed the hot cup of freshly made coffee that the house elves so kindly made. I took the hot cup of Joe, as muggle’s like to call it. I walked back to the living room and sat down at the giant winged back siting chair, in front of the fireplace. Once I sat down I took a sip of my coffee, it tasted differently than my regular. Almost sweeter in a way, thats when it hit me Lily used to make my coffee like this. Sweet for the sweet she used to say.

Not that I was a real sweet heart but she used to see the best in people especially in me. But then again when I was with her I was always at my happiest. Then I had to leave her pregnant with my little baby girl, my little Sophia… I thought about how big she would be considering she would be old enough to be in her first year at Hogwarts. Thinking about how she would right now… would she look like me at all or would she look like her mother Lilly? I sighed praying to merlin about how I would kill just to get to see my daughter just once before I die, and let her know I had to leave to protect her and her mother. Dobby the Hogwarts main house-elf tugged on my robe, and pulled me out of my reverie. He reminded me of my duties as a head of house. I sighed remembering all the times I had with Lilly. I waved my wand and muttered the cleaning spell and went to grab a clean robe.

As I stepped into my class room that seemed a bit more drafty this year. He would have fixed it but he knew how most first years would react to the instant cold. I smiled at the thought, I am a teacher, not a student. I’m not here to befriend anyone but myself. Sure my Slytherins will be happy at my mercy on them but if any of them cross me they will regret it. Again I smiled at the thought. No one will be able to cross me and not be able to get away with it. As I walked to my desk and opened the drawer and pulled out the required parchment and ink wells and quills. But I stopped when I saw the familiar pure white corner of photo paper and thought about my little Sophia… I reached into the drawer and pulled out the photo and looked at the little girl. She was a new born baby, with a full head black hair. But her eyes were closed and the photo was taken with a muggle camera. That was so like Lilly, always keeping some things muggle… she had creamy white skin and was wrapped in a blue blanket. Snuggled deep in Lilly’s arms….

I sighed wishing to know where in the world my beautiful daughter was, and what color her eyes would be. Would they be a grassy green like her mothers? Or would they be obsidian black like mine? I sighed now was not the time for this… I had to get the classroom ready for the twenty or thirty students that were to come in less than three hours. So I had to concentrate. I grabbed the supplies that I needed and put the picture back in its place at the bottom of my drawer. I started to walk around the room placing the needed supplies on the tables. When that was finally finished I thought about what I was going to challenge my first years with on their first day of school…. Which now that I’m thinking about it is….. Tomorrow. Merlin how I hate this!!!!!! I finished setting up the tables and wrote the lesson on the board. Then once that was done I went up to Great Hall and took my seat knowing that we had just a few minutes before the kids got here to Great Hall. I had a few moments to my self to ponder a little bit more about my long lost daughter, then a hand gently touched my shoulder and brought me back to the real world. I looked up and saw Minerva looking down at me with a soft smile on her lips.
“You alright Severus?” she asked purely concerned.
“Yes Minerva I am fine. Thank for your concern, but it is not needed here.” I said with a scowl. That witch really needs to mind her own filthy business. She frowned and turned swiftly around to get the Sorting hat and the first years. All the other years started to wander to their own tables and started to talk and chatter amongst themselves. Once the first years started to file in I made sure my familiar scowl was on and made a mask out of my face. Some first years tried to sneak some glances at me and the other teachers. Though when their eyes got to me I sneered at them. It always made me feel better knowing that they would dread coming to my class. Minerva had finally found that dreadful hat and that century old stool.

And the stupid ceremony began, and Minerva started to call out names… Abbot, Hannah!….Griffindor!.. Ugh! Stupid griffindors! Oh how I hate sorting ceremonies! They are so boring! Oh well at least this gives me time to think about my baby Sophia…. Evans, Sophia!…. Well thats interesting Evans was Lily’s last name… Slytherin!!!….. Hmm… thats interesting… I will defiantly have to an eye on her. Very interesting indeed… and then finally the ceremony ended…. Minerva had all the first years line up in front of the head of houses. So I had to lead them all to the Slytherin common room. Once we got to the common room I announced the password to all the first and any stragglers that were in any higher years… “The pass word this year is ‘the house cup is ours.’” and with that said and done I left with out another word. I went straight to my room but not before turning to look back once at the last of the Slytherins. There was only a few, but among them was Draco, Pansy, and the Evans girl…



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 4 comments.


on Aug. 17 2017 at 10:30 pm
Artistic_Geek_Roo_10 SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
6 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found in the darkest of places, but only if one remembers to turn on the light."
Albus Dumbledore

This is a super interesting idea, but how would Harry have been born if Lilly married and had a baby with Snape?

on Nov. 8 2013 at 9:07 pm
Barnowl14 BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
3 articles 1 photo 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook"- Julia Child

I like this idea. But one thing......If Sophia is in the same year as Harry, wouldn't that make them twins? They would have to be born within three months of each other....

Cow2399 BRONZE said...
on Jun. 27 2013 at 5:48 am
Cow2399 BRONZE, Spokane Vally, Washington
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To All The Girls That Think Your ugly Just Because Your Not a size 0 ,Your the Beautiful one its Society Whos Ugly"-Marilyn Monroe

"The Minute You Think of Giving up , think of why you Held on so long"- Unknown

I thought it was very good , but i diddnt know olivander had to measure you to get your wand. ?

IMme2 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 29 2012 at 10:11 am
IMme2 BRONZE, Farmington, New Mexico
2 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
just be yourself not some one your not.
- unknown

pretty please with a cherry on top! write some comments, i need some feedback on my book! thanks