Kale and Kaila | Teen Ink

Kale and Kaila

By CaseyDawn BRONZE, Princeton, Indiana
CaseyDawn BRONZE, Princeton, Indiana

You're only as good as you make yourself out to be.

Author's note: I definitely love Alan Rickman!

It started out like any normal day. It was sunny, warm, and uninteresting. It was before he walked into our school library. After school, I decided to find a sappy romance novel because I had just gotten out of a relationship and I still needed time to heal, and what better way to heal than reading about other petty love stories.

I was only trying to check the time on the clock, when he walked in. I saw him smile at me and I gasped and dropped the book. The thud scared me so I gave a little yelp. I smiled, clearly embarrassed. He walked right over to me without being shy or anything.
“Hi.” He said with a British accent.
“Hello.” I replied. I like your accent, I wanted to say.
“I’m Kale. I just moved here from London.” He said.
“I’m Kaila…” I said nervously.
Kale. Kale… Where did I know him from? I definitely knew him from somewhere!
“Do you have a last name?” I asked smiling.
“Rickman.” He told me smiling back.
“Are you related to Alan Rickman?” I asked jokingly.
“That’s my dad.” He said with a serious face.
“No way! Sever- I mean Alan Rickman is your father?!” I asked in shock.
“The one and only…” He said smiling.
“Cool.” I said nonchalantly.
“I was hoping you could show me around?” He asked.
“I just met you.” I said smiling.
“Yes. You did.” He said laughing.
“Good point. L.A. is a big place. It might take some time.” I said smoothly.
“I have all the time in the world… until 6.” He said smiling.
Wow, his smile was contagious. I laughed. He and I were going to get along great. I could tell already. Plus, he was British and his dad was my favorite actor! But I couldn’t let him know that or else he might think I was using him.

After school, I showed Kale around the shopping areas in Beverly Hills.
“I really hope your boyfriend won’t get mad at you for showing me around.” He said cautiously.
“That’s a smooth way of asking me if I had a boyfriend.” I said grinning.
“Can’t blame a guy for trying…” He said laughing.
“But no, I don’t have one… not anymore…” I said diverting my attention to a COACH purse shop.
“Oh… can I ask what happened?” He asked sympathetically.
“Ummm… the guy I was dating… he cheated on me with my so-called ‘best friend’.” I said calmly.
The calmness scared me a little bit… or maybe it was surprise… I couldn’t tell anymore. Maybe it didn’t even matter.
“Kaila, you deserve so much better!” He said.
“Thanks…” I said slightly smiling.
“No problem.” He told me.
“So, what’s London like?” I asked curiously.
“Ummm… British.” He said.
We both laughed.
“Anyway, I am starting to like it here more and more every second.” He said grinning.
“I’m starting to like you more and more every second.” I said boldly.
He smiled even bigger.
“Same here.” He admitted laughing.
I didn’t understand what was so funny.
“Can I ask what’s so funny?” I asked a little confused.
“I don’t know… I have never felt this way about anyone…” Kale told me with a thoughtful look on his face.
“Really?” I asked.
“Really.” He replied.
I smiled. Hmmm… could he be the one? I haven’t smiled this much in so long. It felt good. Really good.
“So, I didn’t ask… how old are you?” I asked.
“17.” He said.
“Me too.” I told him gladly.
“You have such a radiant smile.” He said to me.
“Thank you.” I said blushing.
“Why are you blushing? It’s true!” He told me.
“I just don’t see myself as anything special… just… ordinary.” I admitted.
“You’re anything but!” He told me.
I kissed him on the cheek and he held my hand.
“Why can’t every guy be as sweet as you, Kale?” I asked.
I took a good look at him as he stared me straight in the eyes. He had beautiful piercing blue eyes, tan skin, clean cut black hair with a blonde streak running through his short bangs.
“You are so much like Severus Snape…” I blurted out.
Right then, I put my hands over my mouth. He just looked at me.
“I’m…” I began.
“I should have known…” He said softly.
“Known what?” I asked confused.
“The only reason you’re hanging out with me is because of my dad… right?” He accused.
“What?! No! I started to like you the moment you walked in the library door!” I said almost in tears. There was no way I could lose Kale.
He looked like he was looking into my soul, through my eyes.
“Really?” He asked.
“I promise Kale!” I swore.
“Okay. I’m sorry…” He said taking my hand again.
“No, I am so sorry. It’s just… your black hair and the fact that Alan Rickman is your father… you could pass for a young Snape. I’m sorry. I’ll shut up.” I decided.
He just smiled at me and kissed my hand.
“So, Kaila, when is your birthday?” He asked me.
“February 14.” I said. Yes, my birthday is on Valentine’s Day.
“No way! Mine too!” He said excited.
What a coincidence!
“Do you play any sports? Instruments?” I asked.
“I play tennis and soccer.” He told me.
“Oh my gosh! Me too!” I said amazed.
“Do you play Bass guitar?” He asked.
“How did you know?!” I asked.
“We have so much in common!” He said clearly excited.
“What else do you like to do?” He asked.
“I like to write, read, cook, photography, paint, act, sing, and direct.” I told him.
“I love to read, write, act, cook, paint, and play video games.” He told me.
“Do you know what you want to do when you get out of high school?” I asked him.
“I want to be an actor.” He told me dreamily.
I could tell he had been dreaming of this for a long time.
“What about you?” He asked.
“I want to be a movie director.” I told him.
“Maybe we could work together?” He offered.
“Oh my gosh! That would be amazing.” I said smiling.
I was starting to fall in love with Kale. I could definitely see myself with him for a long time.

Suddenly, Tara (the queen bee of my school-or so she thinks) walked up to me and Kale. Everyday for the past 12 years, she has tried making my life miserable. I don’t know what started the feud. I really don’t.
“Hey Kailee!” Tara said enthusiastically.
“It’s Kaila. You know that.” I said annoyed. We had been in school together since we were five and she still was as ditsy as ever.
“Oh, I’m sorry, I always seem to forget.” She said looking at me then directing her attention to Kale while twisting her wavy blonde hair. “I’m Tara!” She continued, “And you are?”
“Kale. Kale Rickman.” He said unimpressed.
“OMG! You’re Severus Snape’s son!” She announced.
“No. I’m not.” He said impatiently. (Which I found quite funny by the way. I had never seen any guy ignore Tara.)
“You’re not?” She asked in a whiney voice.
“No. I’m Alan Rickman’s son.” He told her.
“Same thing!” She said. Three of her minions walked up right then. Call them minions, disciples, groupies, whatever.
“Not really.” He said.
She could tell things weren’t going her way, I could see it in her eyes.
“I love your accent! It’s so attractive!” She said with her minions agreeing.
“Tara… If you don’t walk away right now, you’re going to regret it.” I warned.
“Oh really? What are you going to do? Pee your pants like you did in 1st grade?” She teased.
“You and I both know you poured apple juice in front of me.” I said taking a step toward her, but Kale held me back.
Right then, she poured her water in front of me.
“Look everyone! Kaila Goldman peed herself again!” She announced evilly and laughed.
I couldn’t believe it! People stopped and stared. Some laughed. Some snickered. Some looked amused. Right at that moment, something clicked. I’d had enough. I had so much anger in me. I swung my fist around and hit her square in the eye. She went down crying.
“You’ll regret that! I swear it!” She yelled. Well, more like screeched it. This caused more people to stop and stare.
“Nah, I don’t think so. Tara, if you don’t clean up your act, you’re going to wish you were never born.” I promised.
“I hate you Kaila Goldman! I hate you!” She promised to me.
Kale was pulling me away and just in time too, the local cop was walking over.
“Come on!” I yelled to him and we ran down the street.
When we got back to my car, (a 2011 black Camaro) we both got in the car and looked at each other and started laughing our butts off.
“Wow! You hit harder than any guy I have ever met! She’s going to be lucky if she’s not blind in that eye.” He said clearly impressed. “You’re amazing.”
We drove for a little ways until it was about 5:45 when he asked, “Would you like to have dinner with my father and me?”
“Really?” I asked.
“Yes. I know you want to meet my dad.” He said smiling.
“I- it’s just…” I stammered.
“Kaila, its okay. I know you like me for me.” He said understandingly.
“I really do. I like you so much Kale. I have never ever felt this way about another guy.” I told him truthfully.

When we got to his house, I was shocked by how amazing it was. It could have easily been 12.5 million dollars. It was beautiful.
“Let me call my mom first.” I told him.
Ten minutes later, Kale and I were walking into his house.
“Dad?!” Kale called.
“In the living room!” Alan called back.
Suddenly, my heart felt as if it had melted. I was so nervous.
“Kaila, it’s going to be alright. I promise. He’s going to love you! I mean, how could he not?” Kale assured me.
“I don’t know if I am more nervous that it’s Alan Rickman or your father.” I joked.
“Come on.” He insisted politely while chuckling.
As we walked into the living room, I saw Alan Rickman, sitting on his couch reading a murder mystery novel.
“Dad, this is Kaila. Kaila, this is my dad.” He introduced us.
“It’s very nice to meet you Kaila.” He said very nicely while shaking my hand.
“It… It’s… n-n-nice to meet you too!” I said nervously.
“She’s a huge fan.” Kale explained.
“Ah, I see.” Alan said smiling.
“I love you in Love Actually! It’s my favorite Christmas movie. I watch it every Christmas alone.” I told him.
“Alone?” He asked.
“Yes. I never had anyone to watch it with before.” I said as I looked at Kale smiling.
He smiled back and wrapped his arms around me.
“If you need us, we’ll be out back.” Kale told his dad.
“Dinner will be ready in 30 minutes.” Alan told us.
Kale led me out back and it was gorgeous! The garden wrapped around the patio. Plus, there was an in-ground pool and hot tub. As Kale and I sat down, he took my hands in his and he looked me in the eyes. Then he turned on the radio and “Rocketeer” by Far East Movement came on.
“Kaila?” He asked.
“Yes?” I replied.
“I know we’ve only known each other for like 3 ½ hours but, I love you. I know I do. You are the most amazing girl I have ever met in my entire life. I honestly can see myself with you for a long time.” He told me.
“I love you too Kale.” I told him wrapping my arms around his neck.
“I love you so much Kaila.” He told me.
I smiled at him. Then, he held my face in his palm and pulled me closer with his free hand and kissed me gently. This was a real first kiss. The kind where, when someone kisses you, you actually feel something.

Hope you like it. I edited it like a hundred times!

Over the next couple months, Kale and I spent a lot of time together. We weren’t obsessed with our relationship. We knew it was okay to be apart for a little while. We trusted each other. We loved each other. It was as if we had known one another our whole lives. It was relaxed. Calming… Normal. I had never loved anyone as much as I loved Kale. Sure it was cool that his father was Alan Rickman, but Alan was really like any other dad. The greatest part was, Kale had other girls flinging themselves at him but he only saw me. Does that make sense? Trust me, if you have ever been in love, it will make sense.

One day, Kale and I decided to go to the beach. We had taken his Yellow Lamborghini. As we were driving to Venice Beach, we were coming around a giant curve with a gigantic rock wall preventing us from seeing what was to come. We didn’t see the huge truck driving on the wrong side of the road heading toward us at first. When we saw it, Kale slammed on the brakes but the truck kept going and plowed head on into us. The truck must have been doing at least 70 MPH. We went flying into the rock wall, upside down, on the side of the road and I thought we were going to die.
As we stopped spinning, I could tell something was wrong. Something was horribly wrong.
In automatic response I said “Kale?”
He didn’t reply back.
“Kale?!” I said louder.
The truck driver got out of his truck and ran over to my side of the car. He got down on his knees and asked me if I was alive. If I had thought about it at the time, I might have slapped him. I was too busy crying and trying to wake Kale up.
“Miss, please calm down, help is on the way.” He said.
I tried to get my seat belt off, but I couldn’t. I was drifting in and out of consciousness. The driver got his pocket knife out and cut my seat belt off and pulled me gently out of the car. My spine hurt so much. I stayed lying on the pavement while the driver went to help Kale. I tried to look over at the car but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I thought that Kale wasn’t going to make it. I was so scared. I was terrified. I wasn’t sure when I drifted into unconsciousness, but when I woke up, I was in a hospital bed.
“Mom?” I asked.
“Kaila!” My mom said desperately as she rushed to the bed and hugged me.
“Ow!” I cried out.
There was a shooting pain in my spine. I tried to sit up, but I couldn’t.
“My… my spine!” I cried.
“You have a broken spine baby.” My mom told me. I could tell she was trying to be strong. I heard that tone six years ago.
“Mom… where’s Kale?” I asked, scared for the answer.
But before she could speak, Alan walked in with Kale who was in a wheel chair.
“Kale!” I exclaimed.
“I’m so sorry!” He said as he wheeled over to the opposite side of the bed of my mom and took my hand.
“It wasn’t your fault. It’s ok.” I assured him.
“I love you so much Kaila.” He told me.
“I love you too.” I told him.
“Mom…” I said weakly.
“Yes baby?” She replied.
“I’m sorry.” I said, though I don’t know why.
I think she thought I meant I wanted her to leave the room. So, she did. Alan took a look at Kale and I and he smiled at the sight of his son in love. With me.
“I’ll be out in the hall.” Alan said and then left.
Kale and I sat there for a few moments in the calming silence.
“I… I’m so sorry Kaila. I don’t know why I stopped the car.” He said miserably.
“It’s probably a good thing you did or we might not even be alive…” I said.
“I love you so much Kaila. I can’t imagine not being with you. If you hadn’t of made it…” His voice cracked and he started sobbing into the blanket.
“Kale, look at me.” I said. He looked up at me. “I love you. I’m here now and that’s all that matters.” I finished.
“I love you Kaila…” And with that, he painfully got up and kissed me.

Later that night, I asked the nurse to pull Kale’s bed next to mine. When they were finished moving his bed, he held my hand.
“What are we going to do?” He asked me.
“Well, we’re going to heal first.” I said smiling. I wish I could have just turned my head to look at him but the stupid neck brace kept refraining me from doing so.
“I meant, what are we going to do about school?” He said, “They told you that you could be here for a month!”
“I know… I was there.” I said quietly more to myself than to Kale.
I just didn’t know what else to say. There I was, just wanting to take one step at a time, and Kale was too busy worrying about school. I mean, come on! It was only a Saturday anyway! Anyway, around midnight, Kale finally fell asleep. I stayed up listening to music. After 1:30 or so, my mom came back in and sat in the chair.
“You’re awake?” My mom asked surprised.
“Yeah.” I said.
“I told Alan he could go home an hour ago but he refused. He’s asleep in the waiting room.” My mom told me.
“Mom?” I asked.
“Yes?” She replied quietly.
“I’m scared. About the surgery tomorrow…” I admitted.
“I know baby. I’m scared too.” She said sadly.
She pulled the chair up next to the side of my bed.
“What if they can’t fix my spine?” I asked.
“Baby, these are L.A. doctors! The best of the best! I wouldn’t trust anyone else.” She said firmly.
“Hey mom?” I said.
“Yes honey?” She replied.
“I miss daddy.” I said.
Six years ago, my dad was killed in an automobile accident. So, I can see why my mother was so worried about me. I have never been much for talking about my dad in front of my mom because I felt I had to be strong for her and my brother Luke. Well, mostly for my mom because Luke was finishing college in Phoenix.
“By the way, you’re brother is on a plane heading out here now.” She said in a whisper.
“Mom! You didn’t need to do that! It was just a car accident.” I exclaimed quietly whining.
“Well, I called him to tell him what happened and he insisted on coming out here.” She told me, “and when he gets here, you be happy to see him…” She pleaded.
I knew what she meant… She meant, I might not have been able to see him at all if I hadn’t of lived. I would be strong for my mom and Luke, just like always.

Hope you enjoy reading it.

The next week went by and Luke was still in town.
“I’ve really missed you and mom, Kaila.” He told me.
“I can honestly say we’ve missed you too!” I told him.
“Well, it looks to me like you’ve been pretty distracted.” He teased.
“Eh. Not really.” I said at first, “Okay, a little.”
We both laughed.
“He seems decent.” Luke said.
“I love him Luke. He really loves me.” I said honestly.
“I can tell.” He said.
“Can you?” I asked.
“The way you two look at each other. He looks like he would really die for you.” Luke said.
Suddenly, Kale knocked on the open door.
“You’re on crutches now!” I said happily.
“Yeah, I begged them to let me out of the wheel chair. I hated that thing!” He said chuckling.
I pat the side of the bed for him to come and sit by me. So he did.
“I think they are letting me go home tomorrow. They said the surgery went really well and I’m recovering great.” He said hopefully.
“That’s great!” I said. Great, I was going to be stuck in the hospital alone…
“I’m not leaving you though.” He said firmly.
“Kale, someone’s going to have to get my assignments and help me.” I told him smiling.
Luke stood up and said, “I’ll let you two talk.” Then, he left the room.
“I love you Kaila.” He told me.
“I love you too Kale.” I told him simply. Because that’s what it was. Simple. I simply loved him.
“Are you sure you want me to go back to school?” He asked me.
“Kale, there’s only two weeks of school left. It’s fine. We need to get caught up!” I told him.
“I guess you’re right. Then again, you usually are.” He told me smiling.
“You have such a radiant smile.” I told him, remembering when he told me this the first day we met in the school library which really felt like years ago instead of months.
He remembered too, I could tell. We both laughed.
“I’ll go back Monday. Thank goodness it’s only Saturday.” He told me, looking out the window.
“I’m so glad school is almost over. Summers in California are the best.” I told him smiling.
“Not if you’re in the hospital all summer…” He said miserably.
I knew he still took the blame for the truck driver’s mistake. I told him every time he apologized, which was quite often, that it wasn’t his fault. I couldn’t get him to believe it wasn’t his fault.
“I love you.” I told him.
“I love you too.” Kale told me.
“I’ll be right back, I need to go get a drink. Do you want anything?” He asked.
“I’m fine thank you.” I told him.
He kissed my hand and walked out the door on the crutches. Five minutes later, Alan walked into the doorway.
“How are you feeling?” He asked me.
“Fine. The medicine kicked in about forty-five minutes ago.” I told him.
“That’s good.” He said.
“Yeah…” I said awkwardly.
“I have a question.” He said.
“I’m sure I have an answer.” I told him smiling. I gestured for him to sit in the chair.
“You and Kale really love each other.” He said.
I thought that was the question and I said “Of course.”
“Oh that wasn’t the question.” He said laughing.
“Oh, I’m sorry.” I said embarrassed.
“It’s alright. See, I haven’t seen Kale this happy in a long time. I see the way he looks at you and it makes me think of his mother when I first met her. I don’t want either of you to come out broken-hearted. I really have come to care for you as my own daughter. So, my question is… Do you plan on marrying him one day?” He finished.
I had thought about this question quite a few times.
“Alan, I don’t think any girl could love your son more than I do. I would love to marry Kale.” I told him honestly.
“I thought so.” He said thoughtfully.
“The first day I met Kale, something amazing happened. I fell in love. It really was love at first sight-for me at least. But, I want to spend the rest of my life with Kale. It means so much that you accept me. I love him. I don’t know what I would’ve done if you hadn’t of accepted me. Thank you.” I told him.
“I know for a fact that he wants to marry you Kaila.” Alan told me.
I could tell he was telling the truth. I smiled at the thought of being Kaila Rickman.
“I do believe that Kale and Kaila Rickman has a nice ring to it, don’t you?” He asked.
“You read my mind.” I laughed.
“I better be going.” He said checking his watch.
“Okay… oh and Alan?” I said.
“Yes?” He asked.
“Thank you.” I said.
“Anytime.” He told me and left.

That night, Kale sat on the edge of the bed talking to me.
“Kale?” I asked.
“Yes?” He replied.
“Do you plan on marrying me one day?” I asked curiously, a little nervous he’d say no.
“Yes.” He admitted confidently.
I felt like I could’ve jumped up with glee.
“You have no idea how happy I am to hear that!” I told him smiling.
“Kaila, I know you and my dad talked.” He said smiling.
“Oh.” I said blushing.
“You do realize you are the only girl I could ever love, right? I don’t see anyone else. Just you.” He told me happily.
“I don’t have a ring or anything…” He started, as he got down on one knee and held my hand, “but, will you marry me?”
Tears welled up in my eyes and I said “Yes!”
He got back up and kissed me. “I love you Kaila.” He told me.
“Thank you.” Was all I could say.
“Kaila, you are the only one for me.” He told me while looking me in the eyes.
“I know that now.” I smiled.
He smiled at me and I realized he really was the most handsome guy I had ever laid eyes on, which made me a little self-conscious. But, he loved me for me and that was all I could ever ask for.

CaseyDawn BRONZE, Princeton, Indiana

Thanks! I appreciate that! I really like your poetry by the way!:)

Mermaidmissy SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
Hey your book was really good, and I loved it so much. I hope you keep on writing some more pages soon. Can you please take a look at some of my stuff please and tell me what you think and give comment as well. :)