Contamination

Author's note: I got this from the series of video games Dead Space, along with the movie Dead Space: Downfall....  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I got this from the series of video games Dead Space, along with the movie Dead Space: Downfall. I highly recommend the games, Dead Space and Dead Space 2, as well as the movie.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Loss

“The mall’s just up ahead,” James says. I nod.
We walk up to the doors of the mall. “Five minute break,” I say as I sit down on the hood of a car. James looks at his watch and reads the date. “Hey, it’s your birthday,” he says to Abby. She looks at the date. “So it is,” she replies. They move into each other and kiss for a few minutes. When they part they hold each other close. “Happy birthday,” James says softly.
As they hold each other, I look down the sights of my weapon. On a roof across the street, I see a shadow move. I adjust my sights and see a female Slasher standing there, convulsing. She gags, and finally spews something out of her mouth.
I jump off the car just as the blob of acid splashes all over the hood and melt it. “Run into the mall,” I yell as another glob falls onto the pavement. Abby and James quickly sprint into the mall.
The first thing I notice is that the air is a sickly green and has a toxic smell to it. From the air ducts I hear a terrible wheezing, and decide that I do not want to meet the source.
“What is that?’ Abby asks, pointing to something in a corner. I shine my light on it. A Necromorph, looking almost exactly like a human, sits there, coughing and wheezing. It gives off a horrible smell, which turns my stomach. Protruding from its back are two lungs, now engorged to the point where they cover the entire back of the creature. Without hesitation I shoot it until it dies. Once it is dead, I notice that the air smells better and has lost a bit of the green color.
James walks into a nearby florist and grabs a bouquet of flowers, which he presents to Abby. She blushes and gives him a quick kiss. “Thanks. They’re beautiful,” she says. “I love y-“ she says, right before the plasma bolt hits her. He head snaps back, eyes rolling into her head, as she falls to the floor with a large scorch mark on her face.
“Looters,” I yell as I fire my weapon. I hear a scream as one of my shots tears a man’s head off. James drags Abby’s body behind cover with a horrified look on his face. I continue shooting at the men firing at us until I run dry on ammo. “I’m out,” I yell to James. If he hears me, he doesn’t show it, as he just cradles her limp body and sobs.
I hear a hacking sound, and a glob of acid falls onto a looter, who screams as his flesh peels off his body. I hear a shriek and a splat, which turns out to be a Lurker blasting its tentacles through the head of a woman. Several Slashers come up and begin hacking at the terrified group of looters, all of whom are screaming and pleading for mercy.
Their pleas fall on deaf ears.