Imperfection Is Beauty, Madness Is Genius

Author's note: I love Criminal Minds and Spenc so here you all go!
Author's note: I love Criminal Minds and Spenc so here you all go!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 Next »

4

I was reading through the file once more while sitting on the Jet. I was in the back by myself. I had a lot on my mind. It's not like I was already trying to be antisocial. I just told them that I could read better when in privacy, rather than up near everyone else. Of course Spencer had known I was lying. I could read just like him and had no problem being around others. I stared at the photos of the victims and yet I wasn't even paying attention. All I could think about was that night so many years ago. I closed the folder and let out a long sigh. I turned towards the window and looked out, spacing off. A cough came from in front of me. I turned my attention back to who was in front of me. There sat Spencer.
"Hey" He said. "Hello Spence" I replied opening the folder again. Before I could act like I was interested, Spencer's hand went out and closed the folder. I looked up at him and knew what was coming next. I shook my head slowly and he took one of my hands in his. I was shocked at this move. It wasn't like Spencer at all. He was the awkward shy one who was never this open. Then again he was caring and compassionate. I smiled slightly and looked down at our hands. "Talk to me Annabelle. I hope that even though so much time has passed, we could still tell each other things" He said.
"I know...I really want to tell you Spency-Beans, I just...Things should be left in the past right?" I asked quoting him. "Something’s, yes, but when it's causing you problems like this...Annabelle...just tell me. I already think I know, but I'd rather you tell me. I'm not going to push you anymore, but I'm here" He replied. "Thank you...” I said quietly opening the folder again. I heard him sigh and let go of my hand. When I looked back up he was gone. I leaned back and soon the plane landed. We made our way to the police headquarters and set up there. Spencer and I were ordered to stay behind and map out the geographic profile of this Unsub. I was sitting there thinking to myself when I was interrupted. "Annabelle?" Spencer asked. "Yes Spencer?" I responded. "Do you still have the scar?" He asked.
I froze at that question. Why was he insisting on bringing up that night so much? I closed my eyes, then reopened them looking at him. He blushed a little and looked down. I knew he was feeling guilty. It was my first official day and already he had my head everywhere else but the case. I sighed and rolled my chair over to him. He looked at me as I put my leg up on his lap and rolled up the pant leg. There on my calf was a huge scar running from my knee cap almost to my ankle. He traced it and I shivered, rolling back. My leg fell to the ground and I blushed, while rolling down my pant leg. "Sorry" He apologized. 'No, no...It's fine...Um...Can we get back to work?" I asked. "Yes...but...Just tell me...What happened that night Annabelle. I know it's not easy talking about these things. Honestly if you hadn't been there when those football players stripped me and tied me up, I probably would have a very hard time telling you. It was bad when I told Morgan" He said. "If...If...I tell you...Will you drop it and never bring it up again? Also don't give me any pity looks or sympathy after I tell you. It's the past and I have come to terms with what happened" I said. "I promise" He said smiling slightly. I smiled back and took a deep breath. This was going to be one of the hardest conversations I would ever have with Spencer. We had been so close back then, but at that time in my life I was used to doing things on my own. That and I didn't want Spencer worrying over me. We were twelve and that was too much stress for such a young age. I took another breath before speaking.
"It was the night of the first home football game. I should have known better, but some of the cheerleaders came up to me and asked me to stay after the game. They had me believe that they wanted me on the squad. Said I was small enough to be on the top of the pyramid. I wanted so badly to fit in Spencer. So I foolishly believed them. When everyone left, I found myself alone standing underneath the bleachers. Soon there was a bag over my head and I heard them all laughing. I don't know exactly where they took me. It was out to one of their houses. When the bag was finally removed I was in a room with some of the guys from the football team. They were poking fun like they always did. Saying perverted things and pushing me around. It was all just a joke to them. Their laughs still ring in my head when I think about it. One of the guys had been drinking and tried to force himself on me...I...” I started to choke up. Spencer reached over and took my hand. I swallowed hard and blinked back a couple of tears before looking up again. Spencer was rubbing his thumb on my palm and I was thankful at that moment. I have never spoken about that night before.
"Anyways...I managed to somehow get away from underneath him and I took off running. I ran out of the room and they were still laughing. I remember running past the girls and them making comments about how I was a chicken and a tease...I also remember crying when I heard some of the guys behind me. I ran as fast as I could and next thing I knew I was on the ground. I had tripped and fell, breaking my leg. A stupid damn stick...They caught up of course. The break had broke my skin, which is why I have that pretty scar you saw...I was laying there crying and they just laughed and walked away. Left me alone. Eventually one of them called for help. I never spoke a word about it though. I told everyone I was just out for a walk...Honestly I don't know if I was afraid or just wanted to forget about it all together, but I did..It's the past anyways...and like I said...I've dealt with it" I finished. He just sat there staring at me for a moment before pulling me into a hug. I smiled and blushed at his movement. When he pulled away I sent him a puzzled kind of look. "You told me know pity and no sympathy words...you never said no hugs" He said smiling.
I smiled and softly ruffled his hair. He blushed and I rolled back over to my position before in front of the map. It felt good to finally get that night off my chest. It felt even better that it had been Spencer. He would understand above everyone else. I knew at that moment that it didn't matter how many years we spent apart, Spencer Reid was a part of my life and he wasn't going anywhere.

TeardropsInAprilThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:37 am:
I love criminal minds!

AcrossTheUniverse said...
By the way, my twelve year old sister likes this.

AcrossTheUniverse said...
Persona writing is a skilled art! Not just a mere skill or an abstract art but a skilled art! It's practically acting on paper! If done improperly the characterization drowns in a pool of nonsense! I beleive you saturated this story with romance! What is with this generation and romance?! Good grief! Why is Reid having kids? That seems so illogical. Why is there a second genius? That seems statistically impossible. Anyway, persona writing is an art, exactly like acting. There are beleivable acto... (more »)

AcrossTheUniverse said...
Interesting conclusion line. Please clarify if Reid and Chris have been captured along with Annabelle.

AcrossTheUniverse said...
EPITOME OF LAMENESS! TOO RANDOM! WHY WOULD THIS REALLY HAPPEN? IS THIS REALLY IN GIDEON'S CHARA -- Hold the hedgehog! Gideon already has a son! What is happening in this alternate multiverse?!?!

AcrossTheUniverse said...
The Gideon segment should be in Reid's perspective.

AcrossTheUniverse said...
FAIL! I apologize for that out burst. Perhaps its just me and my anti-romantic sentiments, but ... Never mind

AcrossTheUniverse said...
Morgan would say, "Why do we love you?" Gideon and Reid seem out of character. Revise some diction.

AcrossTheUniverse said...
Revise sentences to reduce redundancy. Remeber to revise your diction! Keep in mind that this is from the perspective of geniuses! Use the words to convince the reader of that! Why did you insert Gideon? Its not that we hate him, it is just too spontaneous.

AcrossTheUniverse said...
That old cliche 'back in high school.' Competion is characteristic of Reid but you might want to lok at some of your diction in chapter 5. FLASHBACK, FORESHADOWING, and IRONY abound! I love it!

AcrossTheUniverse said...
Chapter 2: I like your portrayal of the stoic-faced Hotch, but the Prentiss comment seemed slightly out of character. I like your oxymoron of 'comfortable awkward silence.' This chapter reminds me of the first episode with Agent Seaver.

AcrossTheUniverse said...
Chapter 1: First person gives this story a unique twist. Your characters (especially Morgan) seem real (using dialogue). Perhpas you should have swithched chapters when swithching point of views. Focus on your diction/word choice -- this kind of persona wirting requires better diction since it comes from the minds of 'geniuses.' An interesting start.

AcrossTheUniverse said...
I haven't had time to read your book yet, but your titile has hooked me. My friend would say something like that.