Harry Potter, Next Generation: Friends and Foes | Teen Ink

Harry Potter, Next Generation: Friends and Foes

By BekahBucket BRONZE, Freehold, New Jersey
BekahBucket BRONZE, Freehold, New Jersey

"I won't apologize for who I am" ~ Selena Gomez

Author's note: This book is incomplete right now, please bear with me.

If you looked at the Sable family, you would see any normal family. The father’s name was Clark, and he was somewhat tall. He had dark brown, untidy hair, and light brown eyes. He was long and lanky, but looked very kind. The mother was named Blanca, and she was shorter than the father. She had blond hair with a brown tinge that fell just past her shoulders, and blue eyes that sparkled. She wasn’t unattractive, but she wasn’t unnaturally pretty either. Their daughter, Kiera, had a unique hairstyle. Brown-blond like her mother’s, it had a distinct cut. Her bangs looked like a row of triangles facing downward across her forehead, with dark brown tipping the ends as if they had been dyed. The hair on the sides of her head was also cut like a triangle with the ends dark, so it looked as if she could take both sides and tie them together under her chin, if they were a tad longer. These sections rested in front of her shoulders. The rest of her hair was trailing down her back, long enough for her to sit on, also with darker ends.
Though they looked like a normal family, if you took other things into account, they wouldn’t seem at all normal. For one thing, the all wore black robes as daily clothing. Clark and Blanca’s robes had delicate stitching along the collar, sleeves, and ends. The stitching on Blanca’s robes were bronze and yellow, and on Clark’s robes it was gold and green. Also, if you overheard a conversation between the family on the streets, you’d be sure you heard wrong. Broomsticks, caldrons, and a place called Hogwarts were main topics of discussion. Indeed, the Sable’s were not at all normal.
They were wizards, or people who know magic. Not only were they wizards, they could also trace their history back many generations and still have all of their immediate relatives been pure wizards. For example, Kiera’s parents were pure blood, as were her grandparents, great grandparents, and so on.
Today, sometime near the end of August, Kiera and her father, carrying a cauldron full of supplies, were walking in a crowded square with other wizards. There were many of them walking in and out of shops selling anything a wizard could want or need. Clark was telling his daughter a story many wizard parents told their children.

“…And then, do you know who Dumbledore gave ten points?” Kiera’s dad asked her.

“Oh Dad, just tell me already!” the girl giggled.

“Oh, you’re no fun,” he said playfully. “Well, Dumbledore gave Neville Longbottom ten points for trying to remind his friends to follow the rules!”

Kiera laughed. “Neville? He did do something good for Gryffindor after all!”

“He sure did!” Kiera’s father said. “And that was the end of Harry Potter’s first year at Hogwarts.”

Kiera smiled lovingly at he father. “You know, when I put all the facts together, Harry Potter seems rather conceded,” she commented.

“I wouldn’t know, I’ve never met the man. Although you might meet his sons. The eldest child will be in his third year, and his second child will be entering with you this year,” Kiera’s father said passively. Kiera instantly started looking at the children around her, as if just glancing at them would tell her whether she should be friends with them or not. They were all running around happily, and for good reason.

Kiera looked for what seemed the thousandth time at the letter in her hand. It was a list of materials, almost all of them checked off by her father.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM
First-year students will require:
1.
Three sets of plain work robes (black)√
2.
One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear√
3.
One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)√
4.
One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)√
Please note that all pupils’ clothes should carry name tags√

COURSE BOOKS
All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk√

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot√

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling√

A Beginners’ Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch√

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore√

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger√

The Monster Book of Monsters√

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble√

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)√

1 telescope√

1 set brass scales√
Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

“I still can’t believe you hung on to all this stuff. You had half my book list! Why on earth did you keep The Monster Book of Monsters after you finished Hogwarts?” Kiera asked wonderingly, looking away from the paper and at the materials in the cauldron her father carried. On top of all the other books and robes and whatnot, a green book with gold lettering reading The Monster Book of Monsters was sitting. It looked up and gave a faint sound like a combination of purr and a growl.

“Oh, I dunno, it kinda grew on me,” he replied, stroking the book’s spine so it made an odd crooning noise. “Anyway, now that we have everything else, it’s time to get your wand! Old man Ollivander gave me my wand, I still have it. He always gives you just the right one.”

Kiera followed her father to a narrow, old looking shop. She glanced up to the peeled gold letters over the door and took a minute to decipher the words: Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C. She gave a happy little skip as she walked through the door after her father. Immediately Kiera noticed a very old looking man with light colored, wide eyes, as well as a man that couldn’t have been past twenty-five, with blond, short hair and blue eyes. The older man turned as they entered, and spotted Kiera’s father.
“Ah, Clark Sable! Do you still have your first wand? It was pine, twelve inches, flexible, yes?” He asked, his voice soft but welcoming.

“Yes, I still have it. Right on the nose as usual, Ollivander. My daughter’s going to Hogwarts this year, so we need to give her a wand,” he said, gently urging Kiera forward.

“Hello Mr. Ollivander!” Kiera said brightly, and then looked to the blond man. “And who are you?”

The man smiled. “I’m also Mr. Ollivander. I’m training to take over the shop if my grandfather ever decides to retire.”

“I don’t personally see that happening,” Kiera’s father said, laughing a bit as he sat down in an old looking wooden chair to wait.

“Hold out your wand hand,” the older Mr. Ollivander said, retrieving a tape measure from somewhere behind the neat piles of thin boxes that no doubt contained wands of every sort. Kiera extended her right hand and watched as the tape started to measure her hand and arm in any number of ways.

“What types of cores do you use here?” Kiera asked curiously as the younger Mr. Ollivander started taking down a few boxes and pulling out wands. “My mother says she’s been to places that use Thestral hair and Veela hair, and some other really odd combinations.”

“We only use dragon heartstring, unicorn hair, and phoenix tail feathers,” the older Mr. Ollivander said. “Veela hair seems to make … temperamental wands.”

“Here, try this,” the younger Mr. Ollivander suggested, giving Kiera a wand. “Maple, swishy, eight inches, unicorn hair.”

Kiera swished the wand once, but one of the two Ollivanders took it back. “No, that won’t work. Maybe this one. Mahogany, stiff, ten inches, phoenix tail feather.”

And on it went. Kiera waved wand after wand, and the pile of used wands became larger and larger. Twice, the younger Ollivander took down a particularly dusty box, but his grandfather told him to put it back.

“Excuse me,” Kiera asked. “But what’s in the box you keep putting back?”

“That’s a wand I’ve had for a while,” the older Mr. Ollivander said. “I couldn’t find a handle that quite adapted to it, so I haven’t been able to sell it. Not many people want handle-less wands.”

“I wouldn’t mind trying it,” Kiera said, wondering what combination it may be.

“Alright, here,” said the wand maker in training. “Rosewood, sturdy, eleven-and-a-half inches, dragon heartstring.”

Kiera took the wand, and noticed one end of the wand was thinner than the other. She took the wider end in her hand and felt warmth spread through her whole body. She waved the wand to one side, and sparkles flew in all directions. Kiera looked in wonder at all the colors: gold, silver, bronze, black, red, green, blue, and yellow. Clark clapped, looking at the sparks with an almost admiring look. Both of the Ollivanders also applauded.

“Bravo! Yes, that wand finally has a wizard now,” the elder wand maker stated.

“I thought that one might fit her well,” his grandson agreed.

Kiera smiled, twirling the wand in her fingertips. True, it was strange it had no handle, but that made it unique. Kiera looked up as her father paid for the wand, and before leaving, she gave a quick hug to each of the Ollivanders before hurrying out after her father.

“Well, the only things we needed to buy today were my new wand and dress robes,” Kiera commented as her father checked off the wand on the letter and put it away. “Do we just go home now? There are so many people…”

“Well, if you want to go home, we can,” he replied. “But I want to look in Flourish and Blotts for some books I wanted to read a few paragraphs of.”

“Why didn’t you tell me when I was buying my school books?”

“Because I didn’t want to buy the books I want to read. Tell you what, why don’t you go see if Fred and Roxanne are at their father’s store?”

Kiera’s face brightened. Of course, she should have thought of Fred and Roxanne! She knew them both fairly well, since she often came to Diagon Alley; she spent quite a lot of time at the joke stores with the other children. Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes had the best merchandise by far. Hugging her dad and thanking him for the idea, Kiera ran off and entered the bright store. Making her way through the crowds of other children, Kiera spotted a boy about nine with flaming red hair and enough freckles to make a star map with. He was talking with another boy and a girl, both whom looked about Kiera’s own age. The girl had red-brown hair that went slightly past her shoulders, and the boy had black, untidy hair. As Kiera made her way over to the red-haired boy, the other two left the store.

“Hey Fred!” Kiera said as she reached him. “How are you and your sister?”

“Jealous we can’t go to Hogwarts this year,” he replied. “Or I am, Roxanne’s still got three whole years, at least I’ve only got one.”

Kiera giggled and gave him a hug. “Well, I’ll tell you if it’s as wonderful as the parents make it out to be, I promise.”

“My cousins said they’d teach me first year spells early so I can get a head start on my work,” Fred announced proudly. Kiera smiled and looked down at him in mock sternness.

“You can’t start practicing until you’re in school or the Ministry of Magic will arrest you and put you in Azkaban!” Kiera scolded, wagging her finger at him.

“Nah, they’re not worth my time,” Fred said, walking to the back of the store. Laughing, Kiera glanced around to see if she could find Roxanne. When she couldn’t, she shrugged and exited to find her dad. School started tomorrow, and she wanted to look over her books.

“Kiera, wake up!” Kiera heard her father call as her head started off the pages of her potions book. Looking at the clock, she saw it said 10:30 A.M. She jumped up and shoved the school books she had strewn across the room into her cauldron. She had stayed up late reading her books the night before, and now she and her father only had a half an hour to get to Kings Cross station…using muggle means! She ran down the stairs to the kitchen where her father was waiting with a birthday cake that looked too good to have been baked by him.

“In twenty nine minutes you’ll be eleven, but I probably should have woken you up earlier,” he said to his daughter.

“You can keep the cake,” Kiera said, scribbling a thank you note to put next to the object commemorating the day she was born. “I just wanna get on the train before it leaves.”

“We should start now then,” her father said, helping her double check she had all her things quickly before transforming her cauldron into a backpack and leaving for the walk to Platform 9 ¾. They almost ran the whole way there, passing many irritated looking muggles, though fortunately it wasn’t very far from where they decided to start. Finally, they reached King’s Cross station. Kiera looked for a sign that would point her in the right direction, but she only saw signs for platform nine and platform ten.

“Here, follow me.” Kiera’s dad walked swiftly around packs of muggles and Kiera trotted after him quickly. She reflected how odd it was that her father didn’t tell her beforehand how to get to platform 9 ¾. Kiera watched as her father leaned on the barrier between platforms nine and ten … and then he disappeared.

She was baffled. Just fall through a brick wall? It was really that simple? Checking around to make sure no muggles were looking, Kiera walked right through the wall, and after a few seconds she saw a large, red steam engine. There were wizard kids everywhere, some already in their robes. Most were on the train already, seeing as there were only two minutes left to board the train.

“Here, let me fix that for you,” Kiera heard her dad say from behind her as he took the backpack and turned it back into a cauldron full of supplies. Kiera laughed.

“Why didn’t you tell me it was that simple to get here?” she asked her father.

“Because you’re more than smart enough to figure it out on your own,” he said, waggling his eyebrows comically. “Oh, before I forget, here’s your birthday present, it’s almost like a guide to surviving your first year at Hogwarts.” He presented his daughter with a book by a witch named J. K. Rowling titled “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.”

“Ha ha. Funny Dad,” Kiera said sarcastically. She put the book in her cauldron and gave her father a hug before running onto the train. On her way, she noticed many people were looking in the same general direction. She turned and saw the boy and girl she saw in Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes hanging out a window in the train, talking with their parents. Kiera could see a brown haired woman’s and a redhead man’s faces, but the other two parents (the man with black hair and the woman with red hair) were turned away from her. She jumped on the train and looked around for an empty compartment to sit in. When she found one, the train was pulling out, parents waving good-bye to their children. As Kiera looked out the window, she noticed a single blond boy about her age running to catch up with the train. She heard a parent near him call out “That’s Lorcan! Where are his parents? He’s going to miss the train!”

Kiera jumped to her feet and ran down the train until she found a door that would open to the outside of the door. She tried to shove it open, but it was closed shut. Briefly, she recalled a spell her father used to open a stuck cabinet drawer at home, and pulled her wand out of her pants pocket, hoping it would work.

“Alohamora!” She yelped, and the door sprung open. Shoving her wand back in her pocket, she grabbed a nearby metal beam and leaned out of the opening, feeling wind whip past her face. The blond boy was running as fast as he could go, but the train was quickly picking up speed. Kiera stuck out her hand for the boy to grab if he could. She hoped he would soon; he was running out of platform!

“Come on, come on! Almost there!” she urged him. Just when it looked like he wouldn’t make it, he latched onto her hand. Kiera gave a mighty heave and swung him inside the train, making them both topple onto the floor. Kiera quickly jumped up and slammed the door leading outside closed, and the boy sat up, panting.

“Thanks!” he said to Kiera. “I probably wouldn’t have gotten on the train if you hadn’t done that. My brother would’ve killed me if he had to go through his first year at Hogwarts alone.”

“You’re crazy, you know that?” Kiera asked him. “Waiting until after the last minute to get on the train!”

“Well, you’re just as crazy for leaning out the side of a moving train,” he said evenly. “Besides, people say I get it from my Mum.”

Kiera couldn’t help laughing. “Well, people say I get it from my Dad, so I guess we’re just about even. What’s your name?”

“I’m Lorcan. Lorcan Scarmander. What’s your name?” he asked, standing up and walking down the train.

“I’m Kiera Sable. Nice to meet you. Too bad it wasn’t a less eventful meeting,” Kiera replied.

It was the blond boy’s turn to laugh now. “Well, we all have our quirks,” he said, sitting in an empty apartment.

“Yeah, like my dislike of Harry Potter,” Kiera mumbled, not really meaning for Lorcan to hear. But of course, he did.

“Really?” He asked. “That’s definitely not something I hear every day. How come?”

“Well, from what I’ve heard he broke every school rule one by one, and he just seems conceded to me. I mean, he acts like he’s above the rules, just because he has a lightning scar on his forehead, and goes around saving the world like it’s an every day occurrence,” Kiera defended herself, feeling like he would just reject her different opinion.

But Lorcan just looked thoughtful. “Yeah, you could think of it that way. Of course, most people just like him because he killed off Voldemort, but it’s not like they actually know him personally.”

Kiera smiled. She liked Lorcan. He was thoughtful, carefree, and didn’t reject opinions quickly. He would probably be put in Ravenclaw, the Hogwarts house many clever students found themselves in.

Kiera looked at the open compartment door and saw a very familiar brown-red haired girl standing there, looking dumbstruck. Kiera wondered how long she’d been standing there. Lorcan noticed her too.

“Hi, want to sit down?” he asked.

“Uh, no, thanks,” the girl said warily before hurrying down the train.

“What was that about?” Kiera asked.

“I don’t know for sure, but I can guess that she idolizes Mr. Potter and is none too happy with your opinion of him,” Lorcan said.

Kiera groaned. “Great. If what my Dad says about Hogwarts is true, there’ll be rumors before we even get off the train.”

Indeed, by the time the Hogwarts Express pulled to a stop, Kiera had attracted a large amount of stares, glairs, and whispers. At least three children refused to look at her at all. At least Lorcan made it more bearable with jokes and reassurances.

“Being different always labels you. That’s what my Mum says,” he said quite a few times. “It just means you have to work a bit harder.”

“Well, I have homework and we haven’t even gotten in the castle yet!” Kiera replied as they stepped off the train onto the Hogwarts platform in the dark evening.

“Firs’ years! Come over here, firs’ years!” The cry was a bit gravely and deep, and when Kiera turned to look, she saw the largest man she had ever met in her life holding a lantern. He was twice as tall as her father and about four times as wide. His face was mostly hidden by wild, black and silver hair and a very large beard.

“Who’s that?” Kiera asked, and Lorcan turned to look too.

“Uh, compared to descriptions my parents told me about Professor Hagrid, that’s probably him,” Lorcan said, looking up at the great man. Students were already gathering around the giant, or if they were older going in a different direction.

“Come on, let’s not wait until the very last minute,” Kiera said, joining the throng. Lorcan chucked as he followed.

“Hogwarts is right round here, jus’ follow me,” Professor Hagrid called as he led the first years down a path that many had trouble keeping their footing on. From around a corner up ahead, Kiera could hear voices muttering in aw or gasping. As she and Lorcan rounded the corner, it became clear why. A large lake was in front of them, filled with hundreds of small boats. Across the lake, on top of a mountain, was a large, sparkling old castle. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

“Whoa,” Kiera said, having come up with no other words to say. Lorcan just stared open mouthed at the sight.

“C’mon, four o’ less in a boat, c’mon!” Professor Hagrid called cheerfully, and one by one the boats began to fill. Kiera and Lorcan got on the last boat with a blond boy with a pointed face and pale eyes. He looked like a more serious version of Lorcan. The boy nodded at them as Professor Hagrid yelled a command and the boats began to move.

“Hello,” he said, looking like he wanted to take his mind off the apprehension of entering the large castle. “I’m Scorpius Malfoy.”

“I’m Lorcan Scarmander,” Lorcan said, smiling.

“I’m Kiera Sable,” Kiera said, turning to look at the castle. “I feel a bit thick for asking this, but what happens once you go in the castle? My father didn’t want to tell me, said he wanted it to be a surprise for me.”

“I’m not exactly sure either, honestly,” Scorpius replied somewhat sheepishly. “All my dad would say was he hoped I’d be in Slytherin.”

“My parents say you don’t really have to do anything to get sorted, it’s chosen for you I guess…” Lorcan trailed off, starting to look nervous for the first time.

“Heads down!” a command was called and all the students obeyed. The boats moved through a large patch of ivy into a wide but not very tall tunnel.

“I guess we’ll find out when we get there,” Kiera said, beginning to become nervous and excited to see what was in store for them in the castle. The boats bumped to a stop at something like an underground dock, and everyone climbed out onto the rocky floor. Professor Hagrid did a quick sweep of the boats to make sure nothing was left behind, and then lead all the first years up a stairwell to a pair of very large front doors, made of old, polished oak. After looking around to make sure all the first years were there, Professor Hagrid knocked on the door thrice, and it swung open.

An average sized wizard with blond hair was standing on the other side of the door, obviously waiting for the first years.

“Got the firs’ years, Professor Longbottom,” Hagrid said. The wizard smiled and nodded.

“Thank you Professor Hagrid,” he said. “I’ll take them now.” He led the students down a very large entrance hall and into an empty chamber away from where most of the voices were coming from. They all had to squish together to fit in the room.

“Welcome to Hogwarts,” the professor said to them. “You can join the rest of the school soon, but before then you have to be sorted into houses. The four houses are basically like four families, if you’re placed in one family, you do most of your activities with them.

“You don’t have to worry about being put in a bad house or a good one; every house has its own history and its own share of good and bad witches and wizards. The house names are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. If you do well in your classes, you will earn points for your house, but if you get in trouble, points can be deducted. At the end of the year, points are totaled up. The house with the most points wins the house cup. I’ll come and get you when we’re ready for you, please just say here quietly,” he said as he left.

The silence of the students lasted only for a few moments before agitated whispers broke out among small groups.

“Where do you think you’ll be?” Kiera asked Lorcan quietly.

“Most likely where my brother is, families are often put together from what I’ve heard,” he replied nervously. “But I’m not sure what house that might be.”

The door opened again and Professor Longbottom stood in the doorway. “Come on, the Sorting’s about to start,” he said. “Form a line and follow me.”

Kiera jumped into the line between Scorpius and Lorcan, and they walked back out of the room, down the hall, and to a large pair of doors. They entered the doors to the great hall, where millions upon millions of candles were floating above four large, long tables, and higher than that it looked like there was no ceiling, for you had a perfect view of the night sky. Bringing her eyes back down, Kiera saw another table with many teachers sitting at it, and then the first years were lined up facing the tables full of other students with the teachers behind them.
Professor Longbottom left for a moment, then came back with a stool upon which sat an old, frayed, brown hat. Kiera blinked a few times, wondering what on earth the hat was for, when it gave a slight twitch. And then another. The hat had everyone’s full attention when a long tear by the brim opened and the hat sang.

“I know I’m just an old, brown hat,
And I look very torn
But I can truly guarantee
I’m the smartest hat you’ve worn.
There’s not a student in the world
Though they have come and gone
That ever hid a thing from me
Once they put me on.
They call me Hogwarts Sorting Hat,
I come out every year
So I can tell the magic folk
‘You need to be right here!’
I might put you in Gryffindor,
Where you will find true friends
For they are brave and loyal
Right to the very ends.
Or possibly in Ravenclaw,
If you are really smart
Most likely you will learn a lot
And keep it in your heart.
Or maybe you’re a Hufflepuff,
Where hard work’s always shown
Come June you will be stunned by
Just how much you’ve grown!
Or maybe you’ll be Slytherin
With all the cunning folks.
They value determination,
And are quite clever blokes.
So come and sit and try me out!
I’m sure you will be fine.
For I’m the Hogwarts Sorting Hat,
And that’s the bottom line.”

Everyone launched into applause after the hat had finished singing. It bowed to all the tables before standing still again. Kiera had a hard time muffling giggles, she had found the song so entertaining.
The hall became silent again as Professor Longbottom unrolled a piece of parchment from where he was standing, next to the sorting hat.
“When your name is called, please come forward and sit on the stool with the hat on your head to be sorted,” He said, and began calling names.
“Acacia, Darcie!” Professor Longbottom called. A girl with blond hair strut confidently up to the sorting hat and placed it on her head.
“SLYTHERIN!” Shouted the sorting hat. The second table from the right cheered and clapped as she joined them.
“Az, Leonard!” A boy with a strong build walked up and put the hat on his head.
“GRYFFINDOR!” The far left table exploded with noise, greeting their new member. One by one, students went up and sat on the stool with the hat over their heads, usually falling in front of their eyes. When a house was called, the table they needed to go to would rise up with cheers. Some children were sorted right away, but for others the sorting hat seemed to have trouble deciding. Kiera thought that fewer students were going to the Slytherin table than any others.
After going through the alphabet for a while, Kiera heard “Malfoy, Scorpius,” and Scorpius looked rather nervous, upset almost, as he put the hat on. The hat seemed to take a bit longer with him than was average, then it called “SLYTHERIN!” and he joined their table, looking very much relieved.
“Potter, Albus!”
People started muttering a bit, and craning their necks to see what house he would go in. Harry Potter’s son.
“Think he’ll be in Gryffindor?” Kiera asked Lorcan in a whisper as the now-familiar messy black hair advanced apprehensively towards the sorting hat.
“Maybe, I don’t know,” Lorcan replied as he watched. It didn’t take too long for the hat to scream out “GRYFFINDOR!” The Gryffindor table gave the loudest call yet as Potter joined them. Kiera rolled her eyes.
“Honestly, they don’t even know him yet and they love him because he has a famous father,” she whispered as “Prince, Angelica,” a dark-haired girl with a smug expression went up to the hat.
“Well, they’ll know him soon enough,” Lorcan commented as the hat yelled “HUFFLEPUFF!”
Q. R. Finally, Kiera heard her name. “Sable, Kiera!” Nervously, Kiera walked over to the waiting hat. She heard some faint muttering as people looked at her, and sourly realized they were labeling her as “that girl that doesn’t like Harry Potter.” She put the hat over her head and sat down.
“Ooh, you’re a tricky one,” whispered a voice in her ear. “Brave and loyal, smart and quick thinking, hard working and fair, determined and confident, you’ve given me quite a challenge.”
Slytherin seems short on people… Kiera thought, wondering if the hat would put her there.
“Do you want to go in Slytherin?” the hat asked her. “You’d fit well there, you’re cunning and determined…yes, I think the best choice is SLYTHERIN!” The hat yowled the last word to the crowd, and she put the hat back on the stool. The Slytherin table was cheering loudly, but Kiera got the nasty impression that a few people from the Gryffindor house were glairing at her. She looked over to see the Potter boy sitting next to someone that looked like it could be his older brother; both glanced away from her as she looked over. Kiera settled herself next to Scorpius, who gave her a friendly smile.
“Scarmander, Lorcan!” Professor Longbottom called, and Lorcan walked from the line up to the stool, put the hat on, and waited for a while. Finally, the sorting hat called out “HUFFLEPUFF!” And Lorcan walked over to the table on the right, which was cheering and clapping and greeting him. Kiera hoped that just because he was in a different house didn’t mean they couldn’t be friends.
“Scarmander, Lysander!” the professor called, and a boy that looked almost identical to Lorcan went up to the stool and put the hat on. It didn’t take long for the yell “RAVENCLAW!” to echo around the room, and the tabled second from the left to cheer loudly. So siblings didn’t always get put in the same house.
Kiera’s attention drifted after “Prince, Stormi” was put in Hufflepuff. She looked over at the staff table. It was an odd assortment. People she particularly noticed were the huge form of Professor Hagrid sitting next to a short, old wizard whose feet couldn’t even touch the floor. In the very center of the table was an old woman with piercing eyes, observing everything going on in the room. Also, as Kiera looked around, she saw silvery forms squeezing themselves in among the students. Her father had told her there were ghosts at Hogwarts so she wouldn’t be afraid the first time she saw them. Down at the other end of the Slytherin table sat a ghost with silver bloodstains all over his cloths and a blank stare.
Kiera looked back up to see the last child left in line was the girl who had overheard her talking to Lorcan on the train. When “Weasley, Rose” was called, she put the hat on and it very quickly put her in Gryffindor. Once everyone was seated and quiet, the old woman in the center of the table stood up and addressed the crowd.
“Welcome to Hogwarts!” She said loudly and clearly. “There are a few announcements to make before term starts, but from experience, you won’t listen to a word I say until you have your fill to eat. So let’s get to it.”
She sat back down and people applauded her as large gold plates and pitchers filled with food and drink. Almost every food you could think of (and some you couldn’t) for dinner was on the table. Kiera reflected that she usually had similar food at home, and took a bit of everything before pouring herself some pumpkin juice. The talk during dinner was mostly about what people liked and disliked about Hogwarts, and Kiera mostly listened because she didn’t have much to say yet.
“Peeves and Filch are the most unpleasant ones here!” an older boy was saying to Scorpius. “Peeves just hates the kids, pelts things at them, and makes them late for class. Filch wouldn’t be so annoying if he didn’t have his stupid cat, Norma. He’s been overprotective of that cat ever since some kid in their final year of Hogwarts took his old cat, Mrs. Norris home by mistake and never returned her.” Kiera reflected that if she were a cat, she wouldn’t like being taken away from her owner either.
Once people had eaten almost everything on their plates, the scraps disappeared and desert took center stage on the table. Kiera gave herself a large scoop of chocolate ice cream, and soon the attention went from Hogwarts to bloodlines.
“My dad’s pureblood, he kind of brags about it, and my mom doesn’t talk about it much,” Scorpius said.
The older boy piped up again. “Both my parents had one muggle parent. I wasn’t showing much signs of magic until my fifth birthday, that was the day I got shoved underwater by my brother but I didn’t run out of air.”
“How about you?” Scorpius asked Kiera, obviously thinking she felt left out of the conversation.
“I’m pureblood, but I don’t see why it matters, we’re all here now, obviously we can all do magic,” she said simply before going back to her ice cream.
After a while, the plates were cleared and left as sparkling clean as before they had been eaten on. While everyone was quiet, the older woman stood up again.
“Just a few reminders before you go off to bed,” she said to the students.
“As always, the forbidden forest is forbidden from all students because of the large amount of dangerous creatures living within it.
“Mr. Filch will be in the corridors between classes to remind you that magic between classes, as well as a long list of items, are forbidden.
“Quidditch tryouts, as always, are the second week of term; please contact Madam Hooch if you are interested.
“And, as is tradition, we will sing the school song. Pick your favorite melody and start singing.” She flicked her wand and a long, gold ribbon came out, spelling the words to the song. Everyone finished at different times, and once all was quiet again, the woman sent them off to bed with well wishes for their first day of school, looking as if she had enjoyed herself.
Kiera and Scorpius followed an older Slytherin boy wearing a badge that said “Prefect” that walked purposefully through the corridors, up and down staircases, through hidden doors, past the many waving portraits, until they reached a plain stone wall.
“Parseltongue,” the boy said to the wall, and a door appeared out of nowhere. They entered the door and found themselves in a room that wasn’t very high but extremely wide, with green lamps dangling off of black chains. Several chairs with tall backs were circled around a fire that crackled hungrily from under a mantelpiece carved with snakes.
“The girls’ dorms are on the right, the boys’ dorms are on the left,” the boy said, walking to a door on the left and going inside. All the boys followed him.
Kiera ultimately found herself in a dorm room with the other four girls in their first year; Darcie Acacia, Minh Clove, Rosie Thornton, and Tulia Swithin. Kiera had barely closed the hangings around her bed when she fell asleep.

Me2008 GOLD said...
Me2008 GOLD, Houghton, New York

And one day, the girl with the books became the woman writing them.

This is a really good book! Please keep going with it! The only things I have to say about it are this: It's spelled glared, not glaired, conceited not conceded (conceded means something else), and Albus Potter was put in Slytherin, not Gryffindore. Otherwise, I think It's great! I really like the idea that JK Rowling is a witch, writing about Harry's life. I also like how you included George's kids and Draco's kid in the story.

on Nov. 24 2013 at 3:39 am
mereCat PLATINUM, Horsham, Other

"I am finally colouring inside the lines I live between"

I really like this, it is very readable and intiguing - i want more! Just one thing, you write that Harry Potter seems conceeded, do you mean conceited? Wierdly, I'm in the middle of writing my own hp fan fiction and the idea that JK Rowling is a witch is pretty important to it - the muggle story books are Harry's biography with a few holes... I'd love to submit it to Teen Ink but it includeds Rowling's characters so i think it would be copyright :(

on Dec. 31 2012 at 9:21 am
Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other

"..though warm as summer it was fresh as spring." (Thomas Hardy) ("Far from the Madding crowd")

I love the angle you've decided to write from! I think it's really interesting, doing a HP fan fiction from a slytherin girl's point of view - good job!

starwriter GOLD, Durango, Colorado

Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world.
-J. K. Rowling

Love it!!! Can't wait to read more about Kiera!!

on Nov. 7 2011 at 7:18 am
DoctorWhoFan827347 SILVER, Boise, Idaho
This is an amazing book so far. You did did very well with keeping it like the original Harry Potter books while still making it your own. I love how you added J. K. Rowling as a witch. I can't wait to read more!

TeardropsInApril, Alaska, California
Hey! I really like this, keep up the good work! If you want, you can also check out my novel HARRY POTTER CONTINUED. It should be the novel on the Fan Fiction Novels Home page right next to yours. Don't forget to rate it and leave a comment! :)

You're welcome! And yes, mine was awful, that's why I need to rewrite it. What do you think of what I showed you this morning? 

Aw, thanks! I'm glad you like it, but you really didn't have to re-write your story to compair with mine <3

Bekah! I really love your story so far, especally Fred's line at the end of chapter 1. I noticed you gave Filch a new cat, good idea. You should be proud, because after reading this, I've decided to re-write my story. Keep up the awesome work!

cassia_b said...
cassia_b, Wisconsin
wow that pretty much sums up what i've been thinking for a while! when you tell a harry potter fan "slytherin!" they think of the bad, but never the good qualities they may have.

TeardropsInApril, Alaska, California
Yeah, it's pending approval sorry! :)

Thank you! And I tried to find your Harry Potter, but nothing came up! I'm sorry! D:

Why, thank you!~ I think what drew me to this idea of a Slytherin and a Hufflepuff were the typical steriotypes they carry: Slytherin students are evil and Hufflepuff students are nothing extrardinary. Neither of these, I beleive, is true. It's different to explore Hitler's view of the Holocost, if you know what I mean.

on Jun. 6 2011 at 10:20 am
just-another-url GOLD, Cannes, Other

"It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness." -Philip Lester

really good, i felt like this was a j.k novel, and i liked when you added that she was a witch ;) please write more very soon, i've been dying to read more on the same line as harry potter. i was so sad when the series ended. 

ps : i also really enjoyed that the story isn't about harry's children, that's been done, this is more original !!!! keep it up :)

pps : rated 5 stars !

on Jun. 6 2011 at 12:05 am
TeardropsInApril, Alaska, California
This is great! Very detailed and nice intro to your novel! If you have time, please also check out my Harry Potter 7 and a half! It's basically what happened right before this story! :)

don't worry, I will. I just need to figure out what happens next...

thelibrarian BRONZE, Longville, Louisiana

men are like steel, if they lose thir temper, they lose thier worth

-chuck norris

plz plz plz finish this soon ar at least add on