Far Away

Author's note: This piece is a hockey/romance novel. It's a piece that was inspired by real people and real life events.
Author's note: This piece is a hockey/romance novel. It's a piece that was inspired by real people and real life events.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3

Something Unpredictable

****************
Liz's Point of View
****************
As she un-boarded the plane her stomach was sick with nerves. She knew it was silly to be so nervous, especially after how long she had known Nolan, but she couldn't help it. It was the first time that she would be seeing him in three weeks and his family was going to be there. She had never met his family.

With her carry-on slung over her shoulder she made her way down the ramp to the air port terminal, a single door stood between her and the love of her life. Taking a deep breath she pushed the door open and began scanning the crowd.

*******************
The day had finally come for Liz to arrive and he was anxious. He was honored that she wanted to be with him as badly as he wanted her there. He had brought his parents with him to pick her up. He didn't want to wait any longer for his family to meet the woman he had been talking non stop about for the past few months. As the door began to be pushed open his heart began to pound. This was it, the moment he had been waiting for. He noticed her first and took her in. She was so beautiful. The way her hair fell just to her shoulders and her eyes narrowed as she tried to search the crowd for him. He smiled to himself as he watched her, his image of perfection. Finally she spotted him and a smile formed on her face. As she made her way over he opened his arms and welcomed her.

"Hi baby," he said pulling her close and kissing her forerhead.

"Hi," she said looking up at him.

"Liz, I would like you to meet my family. This is my mother Kathy and my father Dean."

"It's very nice to meet you Liz," Dean said giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"It is nice to meet you as well," she said as she fixed her carry-on on her shoulder.

"Here, let me take that," he said grabbing the bag and slinging it over his shoulder, wrapping the other around Liz's waist. "It's so good to have you here, there's so much I want to show you."

She simpy smiled up at him as they made their way to the luggage carrier to pick up the rest of her belongings.

Once they dropped her belongings off at his apartment, she changed and got ready for dinner. He was taking her to Sky 360, a very classy and upscale restaurant. As they got in his Chevrolet Trail Blazer he took her hand in his.

"I can't tell you how much this means to me Lizzy. Having you here is like a dream come true."

"I'm happy to be here too Nolan. I was a mess while I was away from you. I couldn't sleep at all. I got so used to having Norman at my feet that I even tried putting my wieghts at the end of the bed, but it didn't help."

Laughing he pulled into the parking lot and put the vehicle in park.

"We're here," he said opening her door and helpign her out. "This is Sky 360, one of the greatest places you will ever eat in your life."

She looked up in admiration. He could tell that she was impressed.

"They don't have places like this in Maryland," she stated.

"I know, there's a lot of things that we have here that they don't have in the states."

As they made their way inside he watched her as she took it all in. She was quiet and had a twinkle in her eye, like a little kid in a candy store.

The hostess brought them over to their table seated right next to the window overlooking the city.

"This is beautiful," she said looking out across Calgary as the sun went down over the horizon.

"I know you are," he said smiling so wide his skin wrinkled at the corners of his eyes.

Blushing she looked at him.

"I mean it Lizzy. You look amazing. You are the most beautiful woman that I have ever laid eyes on and I have thought so ever since the day that I saw you in the bar. You want to know what the funny thing is?"

"What?"she asked, taking a sip of her red wine.

"The funny thing is that I told Stew Malgunas that night that I would marry you one day," he said standing up and coming around to her side of the table, "And that is exactly what I intend to do," he said pulling a small Tiffany's box out of his pocket as she gasped. Getting down on one knee he said;

"Elizabeth Anselmo, will you marry me?"

Tears forming in her eyes she smiled wide and responded, "Yes I will," kissing him whole heartedly on the mouth, causing the restaurant to erupt into cheers.

He watched her as she admired the ring, the smile never leaving her face or his. He couldn't recall a greater feeling, winning the Calder Cup in 1994-1995 and the Championships in Juinors hadn't even felt this good. This was a feeling that he had never felt before, but he knew it would never go away. A feeling of happiness and fulfillment, love, joy and pride. He was anxious to start a life with Liz, a life together and by her saying yes he was all the more excited. As she dialed her parents' number on her cell phone to tell them the news he dug his out as well. Dialing the familiar number he waited.

"Hello?" the voice on the other line answered.

"Hey Stew?"

"Yeah, what's up."

"It's Nolan, from Portland. Remember that night at the bar when I told you I was going to marry that girl some day?"
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3