Far Away

Author's note: This piece is a hockey/romance novel. It's a piece that was inspired by real people and real life events.
Author's note: This piece is a hockey/romance novel. It's a piece that was inspired by real people and real life events.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Far Too Long

As he stepped off the plane and onto Canadian soil, he couldn't help but feel at home once again. As much as he hated to admit it, he missed being home. There was just something different about Canada than the States. Perhaps it was the fact that he had grown up there, but for some reason Canada held close to his heart. Although he was excited to be back in his home country, he missed Liz. He hadn't talked to her in almost four days since the move had become official. He made a promise to himself to call her the minute he got to his new apartment. First, he had to meet his new teammates. Arriving at the arena, he took it all in. This was it. The beginning of something great. Entering the doors he made his way to the locker room to get acquainted with the team. As he entered the room and looked around, he realized he recognized a few familiar faces from Washington which made him feel a little bit better. "You must be Nolan," a tall, blond haired man said shaking his hand. "That's me." "I'm Kevin Bieksa. Nice to meet you." "Same to you." Going around the room he introduced myself to all of the guys and took his seat at his locker stall. Next to last on the far left side of the room, next to Mattius Ohlund. As he got dressed for practice he took in the atmosphere. It seemed to be more relaxed and laid back than Washington, less demanding maybe. They seemed like a team that was more than just a team but a family. The greatest type of environment to play in. He had a feeling that he had definitely made the right choice and that he was going to have the time of his life here. ***** Liz's Point of View ***** It had been almost three weeks since Nolan had packed up his things and moved across the country. Three weeks since she had seen his face. Three weeks since she had heard his voice. She hated the distance between them. This was the longest that they had ever been apart and it bothered her that he hadn't even bothered to call her. She knew that he had been busy trying to get settled, but how hard was a simple phone call saying I'm okay and I love you. She really hadn't wanted him to go, but how could she tell him no? This was his dream, his life, his career. She couldn't ask him to give all of that up. Not for her, that would have to be his choice and his idea, not hers. She secretly wished he would have asked her to go with him. S**t, if he were to call her tonight and ask, she would drop everything and be on the next flight out. She loved Nolan and it killed her to know that he was across the country, having the time of his life, without her. Maybe this was a sign. Maybe they weren't meant to be after all. Perhaps she had known this all along and had just been denying it. Yet for some reason, her heart wouldn't let her believe that. ******* Things were going exceptionally well in Vancouver. He had made his way to the third line with Ohlund and had already registered a couple of points. He hoped that Liz knew of all his progress. He had meant to call her the first night he arrived, but after practice the guys had taken him out and since then they had been on the road. He hated that she wasn't with him. He wanted more than anything to fall asleep next to her and to hear her voice tell him she loved him. Getting off of the bus, he hailed a taxi and headed towards his apartment. This time, he really was going to call Liz. "Hello?" "Hey baby," he said into the receiver. "Nolan?," she asked with a bit of excitement in her voice. "I would hope no one else calls you baby," he said playfully. "Oh my gosh, I have been so worried about you. How are things going?" "They're going really well. I really like the team. How are things in the States?" "They're the same as when you left them." "And how's my baby?" "I'm doing alright. I've been trying to keep busy. I miss you." "I miss you too baby. Lizzy, I wish that you could be here. I want nothing more than to cuddle up with you and shower you with kisses. I know that you have a life of your own established in Virginia, and I would never ask you to give that up for me, but I just wish sometimes that I could have you by my side at all times." "Nolan, all you have to do is ask. I have been a complete mess since you have been gone. I got so accustomed to you being here that I even miss smelling our dirty socks and went a full week without washing mine to try and get a similar smell in the apartment again." Laughing he responded, "Liz, are you telling me that you want to live with me?" "I'm telling you that if that's what you want, then I will be there." His heart was filled with love for her at that moment, she was truly one of a kind. "Of course I want you here Lizzy, but what about your job and family?" "Nolan you are my family, I love you and I want to have a future with you. As for jobs, there are plenty of opportunities in Canada. I can find something." "Well then, Liz. Will you please come and make me the happiest man in the world and live with me here in Vancouver?" "I would be honored. I love you Nolan." "I love you too." They made arrangements for her to fly out at the end of the week. hanging up the phone he had never felt so happy in his entire life. Not only was she going to be with him every day and night, but she would also be able to meet his parents finally. He was positive that he had finally found the love of his life, the one that he was destined to be with. He made note to find out where Stew was, to prove to him that he was going to marry the woman he saw at the bar on that cold day in December.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »