How We Happened

Author's note: Obviously, J.K.R's Harry Potter series inspired this fan-fic. I hope that people will just enjoy...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Obviously, J.K.R's Harry Potter series inspired this fan-fic. I hope that people will just enjoy how I think Ron and Hermione ultimately ended up with one another. I've never had a relationship of my own, so I think I should credit all my favorite authors.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

What Just Happened?

Winkie and I landed in front of Muriel’s front gate. It was a grand house with three stories made of red brick. It had a very large, and completely gnome free, garden. I walked up to the front gate and was about to open it, when an invisible barrier stopped me. I started to puzzle this, when I heard a scream from inside. It took me second to recognize Ginny’s voice,
“BUT YOU’VE MET HER!”
“IT DOSENT MATTER, IF SHE’S A MUDBLOOD SHE’S NOT WELCOME IN MY HOME!” I could only assume that Ron’s Aunt Muriel and Ginny were having a row. A shiver went down my spine; I knew who they were talking about.
“Muriel, calm down and look at reason,” I recognized Bill’s calm and persuading voice, “you met Hermione at my wedding and you… were able to deal with her. So does it make a difference if she’s a muggle born?”
“DON’T TALK BACK TO ME BILL! AS FOR THE MUDBLOOD, AS LONG AS THERE ARE STILL DEATH EATERS RUNNING AMUCK I’M NOT GOING TO HAVE A MUDBLOOD IN MY HOME!”
“DOES IT REALY MATTER-”
I didn’t need to hear anymore, I turned and walked to the end of the path. “Come on Winkie, apparently we aren’t welcome here right now.”
“We aren’t Miss? Winkie thought that Kreacher said that the Weasleys and friends were to meet at Aunt Muriel’s before noon?”
“Yes, but Muriel apparently has a problem with muggle-borns.”
“Then she is not worthy of Miss’s companionship.”
“Don’t take any mind Winkie, we can see if the Leaky Caldron has any rooms and stay there for a while.”
“Miss, should not be reduced to stay at an inn…” Winkie grumbled, but she knew it was a battle lost.
I was tired and didn’t feel like disapparating. So I stuck out my wand hand, and the three decked purple Night Bus appeared in front of me with a loud bang. “Hello miss!” the new conductor was a cheerful man, with an easy, laid back style, “Where to today?”
“The Leaky Caldron please.” I tried to sound somewhat happy, my confusion and disappointment was making my head spin.
“Of course Miss!” he took my hand and led me onto the bus, “I’m Devin, Devin Curry.” He said it like I should already know, and he flashed me a flirtatious smile. I did not like this guy.
“Hermione?” I turned back to look over my shoulder and, my heart skipped a beat. Ron was staring at me, shock very obvious on his face, “Wha-?”
“Come on miss,” said Devin, “sorry, but we run a tight schedule.” Devin seemed to understand that Ron fancied me. He doesn’t!
“Can’t I just-” I tried to ask for a moment to explain, but Devin seemed intent on leaving, and cut me off.
“Oi,” Devin called out to Ron, “if you’re gonna ride it costs a galleon!” He smiled, he obviously thought Ron didn’t have a galleon, and he was right.
“Come on Hermione, if you’re going to lift the charm on your parents it can be done later.” I started to speak but Devin spoke before I could open my mouth.
“The old hag that lives here doesn’t care much for muggle-borns, she’s got charms all over the place! This girl can’t get any closer!” He exclaimed. Ron looked at me quizzically.
“It’s true,” I whispered, Ron’s face crumpled, “I can’t get past the front gate.”
I couldn’t take standing there and looking at his hurt face and not able to do anything. “I’ll send Winkie to explain later.” I told him. I turned around and boarded the bus. It was filled with big purple arm chairs, and books, I sat down in one in the back. “Here we go!” yelled Devin. Over the loud bang, I could just make out someone crying my name. I knew that voice, and hearing the hurt and panic in it. So, I put my face in my hands, and sobbed the whole way to the Leaky Caldron.
Winkie tried to calm me down, but nobody could feel the pain I felt. It was like my very being needed to see Ron at least smile or for him to know that I was so sorry! But I couldn’t go anywhere near Muriel’s, she probably figured out I had been there and had placed protection charms around her home. I could only hope that Ron would understand and that I would never see that look on his face again. If he’d let me see him.

While I was crying, I was able to look at why I didn’t just get off the Night Bus and disapparate with Ron. It would have made sense, and be a lot less dramatic; I guessed that I couldn’t stay out of embarrassment. But, some sixth sense was telling me otherwise. The conductor must have jinxed you the voice told me, I knew with a jolt that was what must’ve happened. My tears slowed minutely. “Does Miss want a cup of tea?” Winkie asked gently.
“No thank you Winkie, I think I’m fine now.”
“Does Miss want to talk?” Winkie asked sheepishly. I was about to refuse, that I would talk to Ginny later, but Ginny was probably yelling at Muriel, the thought triggered more tears.
“Thank you!” I called over the bang of the disappearing night bus. I walked into the Leaky Caldron, planning to walk straight back to Tom the landlord, who was talking with Winkie. But, I was halted at the door by several cheering people. “Look it’s that Granger girl!” someone yelled over all the noise. That only seemed to excite the crowd more.
“Hermione it’s so good to see you again!” Someone grabbed my hand, and spun me around to face him. It was Cormac McLaggen. Before I could reply, Tom burst through the crowd trying to reach me.
“Let go of her son, she looks really tired.” Tom pulled me out of McLaggen’s grip. “You all right there Miss? Could I offer ye a room?”

“If it’s not too much trouble.” I replied. I needed privacy
“Of course not!” Exclaimed Tom, “Yeh were one of the ones traveling with Potter, so I’ll give yeh a discount.”
“Thank you!” I sighed
“Yehr elf has your keys, and she’ll show you up.” He said with a smile.
“This ways miss.” Winkie called trough the crowd. I followed after her, it seemed she had cleared a path for me the whole way and I was only stopped once. “Hermione!” I turned and saw Bill, “What are you doing here?”
“Your aunt refuses to have me.” I sighed
“Does everyone know you’re here? We’ve all spread out looking for you.” he said.
“No the enchantments literally made me leave as soon as possible.” I explained we talked until we got to my room.
“You’re staying here?” he inquired
“For now.” I sighed
“You know what?” Bill seemed to be deep in thought, “I bet Fleur won’t mind if you stay at our place till you get things straightened out.”
“Really?!” I was elated, “Thanks Bill, I owe you.”
“Let me go double check, blimey, she’s goanna be happy! I’m not a very big help right now.”
“You, the laid back awesome Bill, aren’t much of a help? Don’t make me laugh.” Wow Bill must really want to cheer me up.
“No I’m serious!” pleaded Bill, “Fleur is having a baby, and the baby isn’t, well,” He took a big breath, “normal.”
“What do you mean, ‘not normal’?” I asked.
“We think it’s a metamorphagus, but we aren’t sure.” Bill said hesitantly.
“So why does she need girl help?” I was still confused.
“She needs your help.” Bill explained, “I can’t count how many times Fleur has asked for you, she thinks you’ll have some knowledge of situations similar to ours.”
“Ok, I’ll see what I can do.” I said, thankful to be wanted and needed, “but no promises though.”
“Thank you, Hermione! I’ll come pick you up tomorrow!” Bill turned and walked down the hall.
“Bill,” I called after him, “don’t tell anyone that I’m staying with you, please.”
“Sure thing Hermione!” He called over his shoulder, with a curious look on his face. I went into my room to get some gold, then headed to Gringots. I’m gonna need clothes, I thought to myself.
Wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt, Bill, Winkie, and I left the Leaky Caldron to go apparate to Bill and Fleur’s cottage. “Go on ahead,” I told Bill, “I want a word with Winkie.” Bill shrugged and disappeared with a small pop. Winkie’s eyes were swimming, “Is Miss going to dismiss Winkie?”
“No I’m not, but I do have orders for you.” I said trying to look stern.
“Winkie’s duty is to follow them.” Winkie had brightened up visibly, but was still wary.
“I want you to follow any orders that Bill and Fleur give you, and when I leave their cottage, I want you to stay there till I call for you. Understand?”
“Winkie understands miss.”
“Oh, and Winkie?” I can’t believe I almost forgot! “Dobby…”
“Winkie knows Miss”
“ Oh, well then, Dobby’s grave is at the cottage, and you can have all the time you want.”
“Thank you Miss.” Winkie’s eyes were swimming again.
“Come on you two!” Bill called
Fleur was waiting at the door, “Hello Hermione!” she greeted me after she kissed Bill on the cheek, “’Ow are you?”
“Fine,” I said, “Thank you both for letting me stay here.”
“Not a problem Hermione.” Bill said rolling his eyes. I heard a small shriek, I looked over and saw that Winkie had discovered Dobby’s grave. I crouched down and put a comforting hand on her head, “Take as long as you need.” I told her. Winkie just nodded and headed towards Dobby’s final resting place. “Well I’ve got to get off to work, I’ll see you both for dinner.”
“Bye Bill!” I yelled
“Goodbye sweetie.” Fleur yelled
“Well,” Fleur turned to look at me, “before we do anything, we ‘ave to get you new clothes!”

The next month passed in a blur, Fleur had her baby and was sent to Saint Mundo’s for testing (she got a new and unknown disease soon after she gave birth), but otherwise life went on…
One year…
May…
June…

msoledadvc said...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 1:33 am:

I fell in love with this book. I must tell you are an excellent writer, and that this book is the nearest to what I thought could happen to them. I've always been so intrigued to know how would their relationship would be like, there's where you come in, with this beautiful story!

It's definately on my favorites, although I don't know how to tag a story as favorite. I love it!

It's the best fan-fiction story I've seen so far in TeenInk. And it may be one of the best fiction I've... (more »)

msoledadvc replied...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm :
Will you write more? Please?

fictionnutt96 replied...
May 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm :
Sorry, I'll keep writing, but not on How We Happened. Thanks for the compliments though!

cassia_b said...
wow you have a really terrific writing style!!!! excellent book and keep writing! :D

emilybwrites said...
wow this was just fabulous and very creative i loved it!!! could you please check out my peom "Forgotten Domain" and some of my other work and comment? it would mean a lot to me!!!

fictionnutt96 replied...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 9:04 am :
Of course! I'm glad you liked it.

MissyninjaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:23 pm:
I really enjoyed it. Very good I really liked how you wrote that. Are you planning on putting up more?

fictionnutt96 replied...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 6:56 pm :
I have lots more I would like to post, but it's finding the time to type it all up I have trouble whith! Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

fictionnutt96 said...
May 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm:
Thanks!     

Xxx B. said...
not to bad

bookworm29 replied...
May 13, 2011 at 10:20 pm :
not to bad??? Is that all u can say?? Its amzing!!! I luv it!