Robert Lawrence: 00017; Heist

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

The Price of Valuable Intelligence

An enormous pool of blood encompasses Henrik’s head as he lay on the floor of the hotel room motionless. The bullet pierced his skull and stopped in the frontal lobe of his brain. On the contrary, Robert did not escape the confrontation unscathed, as he had taken a bullet to the shoulder. Fortunately, the bullet shot by Henrik went straight through Robert, missing all of the bones and arteries. Robert knows he cannot stay and thoroughly search the substation for useful intelligence, as the gun Henrik had fired was not silenced and could have possibly alerted the neighbors who would most definitely call the police.
The room is medium-sized and relatively dark, with the only sources of light coming from a desk lamp and the large windows over-looking the busy city of Berlin. Weapons occupy most of the walls. Near the door, there is a large desk, with an enormous mound of file folders and an I-Mac. In the center of the room, a coffee table sits surrounded by soft armchairs. Finally, a bed rests on the right side of the room, against the wall with no weapons on it.
After Robert checks Henrik’s vitals and verifies that one of the world’s leading assassins was is no more, he transfers all of the files on an I-Mac under the folder labeled ‘Substation Database’ to his phone. Quickly, he wipes down all of the surfaces that he thought he touched (including Henrik’s body), so the approaching police would not be able to connect him to the murder of Henrik, and rides the elevator down to the employee entrance. There he finds a waiter’s uniform and changes into it. As Robert is leaving the hotel, a brigade of sirens nears accompanied by German Special Ops sliding down ropes attached to apache helicopters hovering over the hotel. One Special Ops captain questions Robert, “Excuse me, sir, but do you know anything about the shooting inside?”
“No, I’m sorry I don’t. I was just finishing up my shift and heading home.”
“Oh, well thank you anyway, have a nice day.”
“You too, and I hope you catch him.”
...

Back at his room, Robert is packing up his belongings as his encrypted phone rings. Robert, knowing exactly who it is, answers, “Good evening, Mr. Richardson.”
“Do I need to read you proper protocol? I thought I told you to wait for further mission details from M. Now Kolfner’s murder is all over the news and it is only a matter of time before Heist figures out it was you. I just hope you got something out of him.”
“Well, indirectly I did. I killed him in the Heist substation at the Berlin Westin Grand Hotel. Before I left, I was able to transfer whatever intelligence they had stored there onto my phone. When you called, I was in the process of downloading it onto my laptop. From what I have seen so far, there are a few assassination plots and technological advancements that you may want to see.”
“Okay, I will call you back in about fifteen minutes. I will talk with M about what she thinks we should do. In the meantime, lock all of your doors, pull the curtains closed, and stop the transfer from your phone to your laptop.” The CISOD Director does not call back for forty-five minutes. When he does, he explains, “M has given me the clearance to fly to Berlin. I should be there in about two hours. Meet me in a taxi cab in front of your hotel. I will have the driver wait outside of the cab so we can talk privately. Alright?”
“See you then.”
Two hours later, Robert walks off the elevator. He glances at his watch and rapidly makes his way to the hotel entrance as he is a few minutes late. Simultaneously, as Robert is walking through the main doors of the hotel, the cab that the CISOD Director is sitting launches into the air with an umpteen amount of flames, similar to a rocket a lift-off. Once the cab blows apart, twenty feet above the ground, Robert and the other bystanders know that there will be no survivors.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

emilybwrites said...
this was great! please check out my poems "Forgotten Domain" and "Cumulus Prison" and comment/rate them. im dying for feedback!

Sailors3 said...
A thorough commentary on a popular subject (with me). It has peaked my interest and I will definitely follow mbrown's advice to read this book.