Robert Lawrence: 00017; Heist

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

A Lunch Date at the Cafe Berlin

Impatiently, Robert stands on his hotel room balcony, hoping that the CISOD Director answers his phone. “Yes, hello. Who is this?”
“It’s Robert Lawrence, sir.”
“Ah, 00017 have you completed your mission yet,” the CISOD director responds in a half heartfelt manner, as he was pulled away from a lunch date with his wife.
“Well sir, it’s complicated.”
“Complicated?”
“I have just uncovered some intelligence that may affect the lives of civilians everywhere.” Before the CISOD director can chime in, Robert tentatively continues, “And may be life-threatening to operatives at MI6, I’m afraid.”
“Whoa, what do you mean 00017,” The CISOD directors quizzically asks.
“Heist exists. Frank Charleston miraculously survived the bullet from the MI6 sniper in Haiti and must have escaped before my father supposedly terminated the existence of Heist. My target for this mission is no longer a private assassin, but a terrorist operations leader and top assassin for Heist. Fortunately, Frank Charleston died from effects of the bullet in his brain a few days ago. The new executive of Heist is Rai Norfolk. I have searched him through both MI6 and CIA databases. He was a North Korean five-star general until the age of thirty-two, where he set up an assassin training facility in Cuba. Two years later he was a major drug-trafficker in Mexico, setting up the infamous underground tunnel from Tijuana, Mexico to a small town outside of Los Angles. He is wanted in seven countries for treason, drug-trafficking, counter-fit, and thirteen accounts of murder. Unfortunately, a few years ago he dropped off the grid and since then there are no records of his existence. To the world he is dead.”
“Great work 00017, but I will have to run this by M before giving a go for further mission details. It is imperative that you are back at MI6 HQ ASAP. There will be…”
Robert interrupts the CISOD director, “I’m sorry to disobey orders, but I feel that the real urgency is to get information out of Henrik Kolfner before Heist can pull a fast one right under our noses.”
The CISOD director continues, “00017, protocol states…,” but is cut off as Robert turns off his phone.
...

As Robert is passing through the main doors of the Berlin Hyatt, Henrik Kolfner’s business partner is getting up to leave. Slowly, so as not to draw attention to himself, Robert crosses the street, and cocks his Walther PPK in his jacket before the Mater-Dei is able to ask, “Good afternoon sir, how many are in your party?”
Robert responds with, “Just one today.”
“Are you meeting anyone here, sir?”
“Yes, actually I am. His name is Henrik Kolfner. I believe he is sitting over there.” The Mater-Dei hastily takes Robert to Henrik’s table where he is finishing up a gin. At first glance, the Café Berlin is a beaten up rode side restaurant. However, at second glance, it is a beautiful open-air café, with vintage tables, cast-iron gating, and flowerbeds surrounding the café. Waiters where tuxedoes, and while enjoying delectable food, customers can watch the busy city race on. Unfortunately, Robert will not be able to enjoy these aspects of the café.
“Good afternoon Mr. Kolfner, this man here, what did you say your name was,” the Mater-Dei asks.
“Lawrence Kent,” Robert adds.
“Yes, well Mr. Kent, is here to see you. Enjoy your lunch gentlemen. Oh, and I will send someone over to tend to you Mr. Kent.”
“Thank you, have a nice day,” Robert states. Before Henrik can say anything, Robert has a gun to him underneath the table. As Henrik begins to rise Robert says, “And where do you think you’re going Mr. Kolfner? I haven’t even gotten my meal yet. Before I say anything else, how’s business going? The new Heist must be running smoothly, I presume, with Rai Norfolk taking Charleston’s place. If you would take your seat, I would like to ask you a few questions. If you do not, I will not hesitate to put a bullet in you. I, unlike my colleague in Haiti, will not miss.” Kolfner reluctantly sits back down as Robert begins again, “Listen, I know that Heist exists. The thing I don’t know is what its plans are for the…,” Robert is interrupted as ice cold water, from the pitcher on the table, is thrown in his face. As Robert wipes his eyes, he scans the area for Kolfner. However, he is nowhere to be found.

emilybwrites said...
this was great! please check out my poems "Forgotten Domain" and "Cumulus Prison" and comment/rate them. im dying for feedback!

Sailors3 said...
A thorough commentary on a popular subject (with me). It has peaked my interest and I will definitely follow mbrown's advice to read this book.