The Unselfish Greg | Teen Ink

The Unselfish Greg

By MrStar, Parsippany, New Jersey
MrStar, Parsippany, New Jersey

Author's note:

This piece changes the ending of the book Diary Of A Wimpy Kid The Ugly Truth!

I guess I’m just not in a big rush to grow up right now. And after Gammie showed me what's in store over the next few years, I think I’m gonna take her advice and hang on as long as I can. Right, when we came back from Uncle Gary’s wedding I heard Mom calling Mrs. Jefferson and I think The Jefferson's are coming over for dinner. When I heard that they were coming over for dinner, I thought about how I was going to survive from this banquet party. Then Mom called a family meeting and we all ran to the living room before Mom grounds us.

In the family meeting, Mom noted: “The Jefferson’s would be coming for dinner and that you need to come up with ideas to do while they are here.”

I had already thought of something to do while the grown-ups talk about politics.

I mentioned that, “The park is only 7 blocks away and that we should go to the park instead of doing activities.”

Mom approved the idea and said that I would have to take Manny along.

When Mom ended the meeting we all went to our rooms and got ready for the dinner before Jefferson’s arrived. After one hour Mom walks into my room.

She explained, “Being Selfish is a bad thing and that you should be more considerate next time.”

She told me that after this dinner you are going to be friends with Rowley after this dinner. She also told me that Mr/Mrs. Jefferson is helping you and Rowley become best friends again. After a while, I smelled this cheesy mouth-watering smell. I have never smelled this smell every before. I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen and saw that Mom and Dad were cooking pasta and some garlic bread to go with the pasta. I ask Mom if I could eat now because, to be honest, I didn’t really want to eat with the Jefferson’s but you know what the answer was? No!!!

She stated that “We invited Jefferson’s to eat as one family.

After that very long drawn out lecture I ran upstairs to get my wagon. There he was my brother Rodrick is trying to sneak out of the house.

Rodrick told me, “That if you tell Mom or Dad that I was sneaking out of the house I would kill you in a split second like a cobra.”

So I said nothing and walked down the stairs. As I walked down the stairs the doorbell rang. I checked the window before opening the door, I always check the door because one time when I opened the door some random guy came into our house and started singing. I saw that the Jefferson’s were waiting at the door so I open the door.

I asked Rowley, “Do you want to go to the park?”

Rowley screamed, “Yes”

I requested Rowley, “Do you want to play a game?”

Rowley replied, “Yes”

The game that we would be playing is that with this wagon you are going to pull Manny and I to the park. I also told him that if you pull me and Manny to the park in five minutes and I would give you my garlic bread, but if you don’t make it to the park in five minutes you are going to have to give me your cheesy bread.

I said, “Do you accept the challenge?”

Rowley mumbled, “Yes.”

Rowley would do anything for garlic bread.

Rowley pulled us 5 blocks and there he asked, “Can I have a break?”

In my mind, I thought how selfish could Rowley be when he only pulled us five blocks in four minutes and he still had to go two more blocks.

I reply by saying, “You could have a break, but you only have one minute to get to the park or else you know what is going to happen.”

He quickly pulled us to the park, but he was three seconds off so I told him that I get your garlic bread. There all of a sudden Rowley starts yelling at me.

Rowley barked, “Stop being so unfair I was only three seconds off.”

I told him that, “You are the one not being fair”

So his reaction was taking my crystal new iPhone that I got for my birthday. He swiftly runs to the cool breezy pond that was in the middle of the park. I told Rowley that if you were to do that then I would tell his parents. I thought that Rowley wouldn’t throw the phone into the water, but you know what he did, he threw the phone into the water. I instantly jump into the pond and grab my phone. I chase Rowley down to the basketball court.

He told me, “That I was acting selfish and that I should be fairer.”

Then I thought of Mom’s lecture about being selfish and thought instantly that I was being selfish, so I knew what I had to do.

I tell Rowley, “I was sorry and that I was going to work on not being selfish.”

Then I insisted on giving Rowley a hug, but whenever I tried to give him one he started running away. So I chase Rowley to the pond where he threw my phone and once I got the right chance I pushed Rowley into the freezing cool water. He also apologized for throwing my phone but I told him that it was alright. Then for the two hours until dinner we just played in the water we were already wet so what is going to happen. When he was walking back home it started to pour but we really didn’t care because we were already wet. When we arrived back to my house Mom asked us why were so wet and I just told her that we got wet because it was pouring. She gave us towels and then we sat down for dinner. When we were eating Rowley gave me his cheesy bread, but I told him that he could eat it. Right after dinner, Mom told us that we look exhausted and asked us if we wanted to go out for some ice cream. Obviously, the answer was YES! I figure it’s a good idea for me to stick with him, at least until we get to high school. Because if he keeps growing at this rate, Rowley’s gonna be a good person to have at my side.