Monster | Teen Ink

Monster

By Ved, Parsippany, New Jersey
Ved, Parsippany, New Jersey

Author's note:

I am a 8th grader and I heard about this app in my English class. 

It is said that nothing bad happens to nice and kind people. But, that is not always true. Steve Harmon a very nice and caring person, but sensitive and weak. He was in jail for being a part of a murder. He was accused for being a part of murder even though he was innocent. In the jail there was no one to talk to besides the spiders. It had dust and spider webs everywhere. The jail smelled like a garbage can. There was nothing to look at besides darkness. The environment around him made him weak internally. He started losing hope. Hope that the law will find him innocent.

He decided to quit the case and spend his precious life in the jail. Some of the reasons behind that was what people talked about him. Many people passed around judgments by his race. The people in the community talked negative about him without knowing the truth. Another reason behind his decision to quit case was the financial difficulties. He knew that his parents had financial difficulties as they  came to court everyday and missed work time. Additionally, living in jail for a long time of period made him think negative. He knew he had to say this to his family.

While dropping tears down the eyes Steve told his family and his lawyer about the decision he made to quit the case. Steve’s mom started shooting tears. She couldn’t hold herself. But, they knew if they were in shoes of Steve, they would have done something like this too. But, they still tried to encourage Steve. Firstly, Steve Harmon’s lawyer O’brien tries to encourage Steve.

O’brien

If you give up on yourself, they will give up on you. Have hope that you will be proved innocent.

Steve doesn't reply. Then, Steve’s parents tell him that they will manage the money part. They will get a loan from a bank or will get some money from friend. He still doesn't respond.

Steve’s Brother

I just want you back home in any case.

Hearing this Steve realised that if he quits then his family is going to be in sorrow for their whole life. No one in his family would be happy with the decision he made. Steve did not want that to happen. So, he decides not to quit and have hope that he will be proved innocent. He promises his parents that he will ignore the people who pass around false and negative judgments about him. He decides that he will make a compromise with the lifestyle in Jail. He realises that if the court finds him innocent than he can study and help his parents financially in feature. He decides that he will give it a shot. Month after month time was passing, but Steve was ready to battle it. After six months, the day had come for the decision. Steve was sweating on his forehead and shaking his legs while thinking of the outcomes of the case. Steve was proved innocent. As soon as the judge said he is innocent, Steve jumped up and started shouting.

Steve

From bottom of my heart thank you very much. You will be one of the reasons me having a good and happy life.

O’brien responds as her head his up and is proud of what she has done.

O’brien

Your welcome Steve. But, now your future is in your hands.

Steve

Yea, I know and I promise you that my future will be bright and happy.

Steve was joyful as he was free. People who were a part of the crime were punished. People who passed around negative judgments about Steve felt bad for him and apologized to him. Steve studied hard and got into a good college with scholarship. Later on he started helping his parents with the money. Eventually, Steve was changing, he was forgetting his awful past and was trying to make his feature successful.