Batman:The Final Joke | Teen Ink

Batman:The Final Joke

August 28, 2018
By JohnBrady GOLD, Dundalk, Other
More by this author
JohnBrady GOLD, Dundalk, Other
14 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.


The familiar sounds of police sirens and gunshots rang out across the cold, dark night in Gotham City. On the rooftop of an old abandoned building, Deathstroke loaded his rifle and lined up the shot with a window in the building across the street from him. He smiled. Bruce Wayne would appear in that window in ten minutes. A small explosion beneath him shook the room and knocked him to the floor. Jumping to his feet, he felt the soaking wet floor beneath him.
The room was consumed in darkness. He unsheathed his blade.
“Come out you coward. Fight me like a man.”
Suddenly, his body jerked and spasmed, and Deathstroke fell to his knees, gasping. Through a haze of pain, he caught a glimpse of a live wire being raised into the darkness above. Then his knees shot out from under him, and the world turned, as he was suspended by a rope coiled around his feet.
Hearing footsteps, he looked ahead of him. Standing in front of him was the Batman, his black suit and cape blending with the darkness around him. Batman pulled himself over to Deathstroke. Coughs erupted from the dark knight’s body and his leg dragged behind him. He took a syringe off his utility belt and plunged it into Deathstroke’s neck, allowed it to fill up with blood and took it out, before turning to leave.
Deathstroke stopped him “That’s right run like the coward you are.”
With his back to his foe, Batman retched uncontrollably, and blood flew out of his mouth. Keeping his eye on his foe, Deathstroke slowly pulled his knife off his belt. Still with his back to his enemy, Batman put the syringe on his utility belt and raised his grappling hook. Deathstroke cut the rope and leaped onto Batman. Driving his blade repeatedly into his side. He pinned Batman to the floor and placed the cold steel of his knife against his enemy’s pale skin.
“That’s what you’ve always been, Bat-freak. A coward. A man who doesn’t have the will to finish a fight. Who lets his opponent live, so they can come back and finish him later. This is the last time you’ll make that mistake.”
He raised his blade. The door suddenly burst open. Multiple armed policemen rushed into the room, their guns raised. Using the distraction, Batman shot his grappling hook at the building opposite them. Bursting through the windows, he escaped the blaze of bullets and blood Deathstroke created behind him. Batman collapsed on the building opposite him. Feeling like his insides had been torn open, his coughing continued and blood exploded out of him.
His legs gave out beneath him. Unable to stand, he reached out, pulling his body across the building. Through hazed vision, he could see the batwing in front of him. Sweat clung to him. Pushing himself to stay awake, he dragged himself to the batwing. Knowing that if he lost consciousness, he would likely never wake, he whacked his side, using the pain for strength. He tumbled into the Batwing.
Feeling his eyes becoming heavy, he slammed his hand off the console.
“Computer, turn on autopilot.”
“The Cave.”
His head fell back with a thud and the world went black.

Bruce Wayne awoke to find he’d been laid upon a table in the Batcave. His suit was gone, replaced a loose-fitting black top and trousers. He winced, feeling the bloody stitches that were plastered along his side. In front of him sat Alfred, asleep on the chair beside him. His white hair and grey suit the same as they had always been.

Bruce pulled himself to his feet. Alfred jolted, and a smile spread across his face as he looked at the man standing before him.

“Oh, thank God, it seems that Mr. Wilsons blood worked. You’re looking much better, sir.”

Bruce smiled and patted Alfred on the back. He walked past him towards the computer screen in the centre of the room, sat in front of it and started tapping his fingers off the keyboard.

Alfred shook his head. “What are you doing? I thought we agreed that after you got this serum you were finished with all this. That Batman’s time was over.”

“Things have changed.”

“How?”

“I’m dying Alfred.”

“Yes, Master Bruce, I’m aware. That’s why you went out and got the blood from Mr.Wilson.”

“But all that did was buy me time. A day at the most. I’m still dying. When I’m gone who will protect this city?”

“You have protected this city. You’ve made it safe.”

“Have I?”

“I think the dozens of inmates secured in Arkham asylum are proof of that, sir.”

“But how long until they break out. Before they stroll back into the city to terrorize its people once again.”

Bruce hit his finger off the keyboard and a picture came onto the screen of multiple policemen dead on the floor with blood pouring out of their bodies.

“After I left the building, Deathstroke attacked the policemen who arrived on the scene.”

Bruce slammed his hand off the keyboard and the screen went black.

“I had a chance to kill Deathstroke and I didn’t take it. Now there are even more families ripped apart. Widows and children missing their fathers, because of me.”

 Bruce's eyes welled up and he bowed his head.

Alfred shook his head.

“That is not on you. Just because you make the hard decision to not sink to the level of men like Slade Wilson does not make it your fault. That’s why you’re a symbol for change in this city. Because you’re better than him.”

Bruce shook his head.

“No more innocent lives will be taken because of my weakness.”

Bruce began tapping the keyboard again.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m going to send the batwing on autopilot to Arkham Asylum to destroy it.”

Alfred sighed “Do you remember when you were a kid and you broke your mother’s pearls? Instead of blaming it on someone else, you stole money from your dad’s wallet and off you popped on your own into the city to get those pearls fixed. Your dad went after you, and do you remember what he said? He said, Bruce, sometimes we make mistakes and it takes a good man to fix them. But the weight of the world is not on your shoulders. You can always ask for help.”

Alfred sighed. “Maybe I can’t stop you going down this road. But you would do well to remember his words.”

Beads of sweat rolled down the young man’s face. He struggled against the duct tape binding him to the chair. It was early morning and his old bar with dirty wooden walls wouldn’t be opening for hours. In front of him, a news report played on the T.V. A young woman stood in front of the scorched remains of a building.

She began to speak. “I’m on the scene here at the remains of Arkham Asylum. A few hours ago, the warden of this establishment received a call warning him of the impending attack on the Asylum. He immediately began an evacuation of the building. Thankfully, the entire staff got out unscathed. Unfortunately, they were unable to evacuate any of the inmates and they all perished in the fires.”

The man tried to scream for help through the duct tape wrapped around his mouth. He heard footsteps behind him and he was silenced.

The woman continued her report.

“I’m just getting the news now that two of the inmates stole one of the escape helicopters and were seen fleeing the explosion. Their identities have not been confirmed but they should be considered armed and extremely dangerous.”

“Oooh, I wonder who they could be?” said a voice behind the man.

A man with green hair and a white face walked in front of him.

“Oh wait, it’s me.”

Joker’s demonic laughs reverberated around the room as he plastered red lipstick across his face.

“Don’t forget me, puddin’.” said a Jersey accent behind him.

Harley Quinn came up behind the Joker. She stood beside him, smiling and giggling as he applied his lipstick.

Another news report started.

“In other news, Bruce Wayne has been diagnosed with cancer.”

        Joker’s eyes widened, and he pushed Harley out of his way, knocking her to the floor. He sprinted to the T.V. His eyes glued to the report.

“Reports suggest that Bruce Wayne’s battle with cancer has been ongoing for some time. The announcement only comes as it appears his battle is about to reach its end.”

Joker’s eyes welled.

“Oh, bats. Just when you’d gotten to be so much more fun.”

Harley rushed to Joker’s side.

“What’s wrong mister J?”

“Well Harley, it’s time for one final joke and oh boy, is it going to be funny.”

Batman rammed his fist into the thug’s stomach, knocking the knife out of his hand before twisting his arm and yelling.

“Where’s Joker?”

Sweat rolled down the criminal’s face and he struggled against Batman’s hold.

“What you going to do Bat freak, break my arm? Everyone knows you’re too pu**y to do any real damage.”

Batman grabbed the thug’s knife and plunged it into the man’s chest. The man howled.

“I just punctured your aorta. I take this out you’ll bleed to death in minutes.”

White spread across the victim’s face.

“No, please I’ll tell you. He’s been gathering men for a big job. Said it was going to be his last.”

“What’s his plan?”

“I don’t know, all I know is he wanted everyone at Gotham bank.”

“Thank you,” said Batman.

He tore the knife out of his chest and hurried to Gotham bank

Ten armed men stood at the entrance to the bank. Their rifles raised with two more standing behind them. In the vault behind the massive metal door stood Joker and Harley Quinn, stuffing their bags full of money. The bank was pristine with shimmering walls and ceilings. Batman stood on the roof of the building. Using his cowl’s thermal vision to look through the ceiling, he examined the room, mapping out his plan of attack. He blew the ceiling open with explosive gel.

The ceiling collapsed on the threat below. Their blood splattered across the floor. The last two shooters opened fire on him. Batman leaped into the air, dodging their bullets. He tossed a batarang across the room at the first man’s eye. He fell to the floor as red liquid poured out of him. Batman launched himself onto the second attacker and smashed his elbow into his jaw. The thug fell back, dazed, red liquid oozing from his body. Batman grabbed the thug’s head and rammed it into the wall.

Applause sounded behind him. Batman turned to see the joker whacking his two hands together with glee. With Harley Quinn behind him doing the same.  

“Oh, well-done Bats. You certainly showed him the elbow. Oh, by the way, thanks for the party at Arkham last night. It really blew us away didn’t it Harley?”

“It sure did, puddin’.”

The joker broke out in uncontrollable laughter.

Batman sprinted towards joker and kicked him to the floor. Harley jumped between the two, her bat in hand.

“Leave my puddin’ alone, B-brain.”

She swung her Louisville Slugger towards him. Batman snatched it off her and drove it down onto her white face, leaving behind a mess of blood. He whipped out a batarang and drove it along her throat. She fell to her knees, her eyes wide. She turned to joker and a tear fell down her cheek. Breathing her last breath, she fell to the floor and her eyes rolled back.

Joker smiled, rushing towards the vault. Batman sprinted after him. Joker reached the vault and sealed the door. Heat flushed Batman’s face and he smashed his fists off the door. Through a gap in the door, Joker laughed at his foe.

“Now, don’t get your knickers in a twist. Oh Bats, I just love the new you. You’ve finally come around to my way of thinking. Oh, and don’t worry there are no hard feelings about Harley. There’s plenty more bitches in the sea. I should know I drowned them.”

Joker fell into yet another fit of laughter.  

 The bank door was knocked off its hinges and armed policeman stormed the room.

“It’s over Joker. We’ll have that door broken down in a moment. You have no more time.” said Batman.

Joker put his hand over his mouth and gasped.

“Oh no, what am I going to do?”

Suddenly, a hole blew open in the ceiling of the vault.

Joker chuckled.

“Oh, what luck.”

A helicopter flew above the building and a rope fell through the hole in the ceiling. Joker wrapped his hands around it and smiled.

“Well, I guess this is my ride. You know, all this escaping is making me so tired. I should really get some help. Oh, I know Why don’t I get myself a butler.” said Joker

Batman’s eyes widened. His mouth flew wide open. Joker’s smile grew and his laughter echoed across the room as the rope pulled him out of the building.

“See you back home, Bats.”

Batman turned and raced away. His moved almost as a blur, sprinting to the Batmobile. Finally reaching his vehicle, he bolted down the roads to Wayne Manor, to Alfred.

The Batmobile flew through Gotham City. Inside, Batman’s breathing quickened and sweat clung to his skin. Using his earpiece, he contacted Alfred.

“Alfred, you have to get out of the Batcave. Joker’s on his way.”

Hearing nothing but static, Batman abandoned the call. Finally, he reached the front of the Batcave. Close now he thought. Just another minute and we can get inside and-. Flames engulfed the cave and sent the Batmobile backward. It screeched to a halt and Batman leaped out of the vehicle. Moments later, a second explosion rang out. Above the Batcave, Wayne Manor was in ruins.

Batman’s eyes grew wet as he stared at the fiery mess of black ash that had once been his home. He ground his teeth and drove his fist into the Batmobile. An engine sounded behind him. Turning around, he saw a woman in a black leather suit getting off a motorbike. Batman got to his feet.

“Selina, what are you doing here?”

Thought I’d see what I could get my hands on with you out of the picture.”

Batman looked at her and narrowed his eyes. She bit her lip.

“I saw the news, I wanted to see you, to find out how you were. Never mind that, what the hell happened here?”

Batman sighed.

“Joker. He knows who I am. I don’t know when or how he found out, but he knows.”

“Where’s Alfred?” asked Catwoman.

Batman curled his fists and looked away. Catwoman’s eyes widened. Batman suddenly heard a voice in his earpiece.

“Alfred is that you?” Batman asked.

“No, it’s just silly old me,” Joker answered

“What do you think of my home decorating skills?” Even through his earpiece, Batman could still hear joker’s following laughing fit as if he was standing next to him. Batman felt the red heat spreading across his face.

“Wherever you are Joker, wherever you go. I’m coming for you.”

Joke chuckled again.

“Oh, I can’t wait. I have the kettle boiling. Anyway, I just called to tell you that butler boy is still with us.”

Batman stood speechless. His mouth dropped toward the floor.

“Although, you better come running Bats, because, at his age, you never know how long he’s going to be around.”

The line went dead. Batman looked at Catwoman’s stares and said “Alfred’s alive. Joker has him. I have to find him.”

Batman re-entered the Batmobile.

“You should go Selina.”

Catwoman shook her head.

“No, I’m coming with you this time.”

“What?” said Batman.

“Well ever since the Asylum went boom, there hasn’t been as many thugs around with spare change. Girl’s got to eat.”

Catwoman hopped onto her motorbike.

She looked down.

“And I thought maybe you could use the help.”

She looked up and her eyes met Batman’s, who looked away and nodded.

“Let’s go.” said Batman as the revving engine of the Batmobile rang ou

The large dark hallways of the Iceberg lounge were filled with armed men. All guarding the head of the criminal underworld in Gotham. On the rooftop opposite the building, stood Batman and Catwoman. Using his cowl’s thermal vision once again, he weighed up their options.

“Remind me why we’re going after Penguin?”

“Penguin owns the crime in this city. If anyone knows where Joker is it’s him.”

Catwoman nodded at the Iceberg lounge.

“So what are we looking at?” she asked.

“Two dozen armed guards. A dozen at the entrance and a dozen in front of penguin’s room. There’s also two more in the room with him.”

“Penguin a little paranoid?”

“He knows that, after the explosion at Arkham, he’s next.”

“So, what’s the plan, are we going to dangle a fish in front of him?”

 “We send the Batmobile in on the first level on sentry mode. Its turrets will take down them out. Then we jump in on the second level and take out the rest.”

Pulling herself to her feet, Catwoman raised an eyebrow.

 “Seems a little more… brutal than your usual flair. You sure know how to show a girl a good time.”

Batman nodded. “Things have changed. The way I used to do things is over. No more second chances.”

Catwoman nodded.

“Fun,” she said.

After pressing some buttons on his wrist, the batmobile smashed through the door, unleashing a storm of bullets on the men inside. Batman nodded to Catwoman and shot a zip line at one of the windows. Batman put one hand on the zip line and with his other, he held Catwoman’s he held Catwoman’s hand. 

They jumped off the roof, zooming towards the window. When they were at arms-length from the window, Catwoman flew ahead of Batman. Smashing through the window. She vaulted through the men, dodging their bullets and driving her legs onto their faces. Batman leapt in after her. Knocking down each thug in quick succession. Six stood ahead of him.

Using the batclaw, he pulled one towards him and threw him out the window behind him. Jumping across the room to dodge the incoming gunfire, he threw a batarang at a thug’s eye. Four left. After headbutting the first one, he continued to kick him into the next. The second two tossed their empty guns away and whipped out knives. Circling him like vultures, they ran forward swiping from every angle. Batman knocked each swipe away with a flick of his wrist. Batman broke the first attacker’s hand, grabbed his knife and threw it into the other’s throat.

He rammed his fist up the first thug’s chin, sending him into the air. Out of nowhere, Catwoman hopped into the air and hammered her foot into the flying man’s back, sending him flying through the door to Penguin’s room. With a grin on her face, Catwoman snatched up one of the dead men’s pistols.

Penguin’s men sprinted towards them, fingers on triggers. Without stopping, Catwoman fired her gun sending two gold gateways to hell into their heads. Penguin wore a waistcoat and suit jacket. He had a cigar in his mouth and he sat in a luxurious red velvet chair.

He yelled at his attackers. “Get the f out of here and take your bitch with ya!”

Batman slammed his fist into Penguin’s nose, knocking him off his chair and sending him to the floor.

Blood poured out of penguin’s nose. “You broke my nose, you little shit.”

Catwoman scoffed. “Just be thankful that’s not the only thing he broke.”

Batman stormed after Penguin. “Where’s joker?”

“How should I know?”

Batman rammed his foot onto Penguin’s groin. Penguin cried out in pain. Batman raised his foot again but Penguin held up a hand.

“Stop, please. He came in a while ago. Said he needed men for some big job. Said it was going to be his last.”

“Did you give them to him?”

“Of course, I did. God knows what that crazy f would have done if I hadn’t.”

“Where was he going?”

“He was on his way to Wayne Enterprises. Hope he kills that Wayne csucker, he’d be no loss.”

Batman squeezed Penguin’s shoulders and pulled him off the floor.

Penguin scoffed. “Alright, come on get it over with, arrest me. I’ll have bail paid within the hour.”

Batman wrapped his hands around the penguin’s throat. “Not this time, Oswald.”

Oswald’s eyes widened, and he clawed frantically at Batman’s hands as Batman squeezed. The last breath left his body and Batman tossed his lifeless body aside. Batman walked past Catwoman, her jaw was wide and her eyes were fixed on the lifeless corpse of Penguin.

“You okay?” he asked.

She knelt and snatched a gold pocket watch and leather wallet out of Penguin’s waistcoat. Penguin’s wallet and watch.

“Yeah, just you weren’t kidding when you said things have changed.”

Batman yelled out in pain. His legs gave out and he began to cough. Blood erupted out of his mouth. Catwoman hurried to his side.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

Batman winced.

“I took a serum to kill the pain, to regain strength. It’s wearing off.”

Staring into Catwoman’s eyes, he felt his own well up.  

“Selina, I don’t have much time left.”

The Batmobile zoomed down the road to Wayne Enterprises. The heavy rain whacked off the car. The car stopped with a screech as it reached the wall of policemen now surrounding Wayne Enterprises. The tall skyscraper’s once pristine walls were now filled with the Joker's goons. Batman and Catwoman leaped from the Batmobile and into the center of the blaze of red and blue. Amidst yelling cops stood a middle-aged man with glasses and a thick mustache. Batman and Catwoman sprinted towards him. Leaping over police cars and sliding past policeman. Batman announced himself.

“Jim, what’s the situation?”

 “The Joker and his thugs have taken over the building and have the entire workforce hostage. They’ve killed two hostages so far and if we try to move in they'll kill the rest.”

“We’ll move in from the sides and draw their fire. Use the distraction to bring your men in from behind and get the hostages out.”

 Batman felt another surge of agony in his side and fell to the floor. Catwoman put her hand on his shoulder.

All colour left Jim’s face. “You okay?”

Batman slowly pulled himself up. “Goodbye, Jim.”

Jim turned around to call for help. When he turned back around Batman and Catwoman were gone.

As the exhausted heroes rappeled to the roof opposite, Batman took in deep breaths, struggling to keep the searing pain at bay. He got to his feet, readying himself for the fight ahead.

***

The window was smashed to pieces as they zoomed down to the hostages. A storm of bullets approached them. They flew through the air. Attempting to move the thugs away from the hostages, they moved quickly. Batman ran to the four thugs ahead of him. He shot the batclaw at the wall behind him and heaved. It collapsed, smashing their heads. Suddenly, a grenade landed at Batman’s feet. Catwoman ran into him, knocking them behind a desk for cover.

Batman's side burned. With the goons distracted from the hostages, the G.C.P.D. moved in. An eruption of gunfire consumed the room. In the middle of chaos, he could see joker running out of the room with a small force of his men. Alfred was with them. Punching his side, he pushed through the agony and sped after them, with Catwoman behind him.

They reached a flight of stairs.

“He’s heading for the roof,” Catwoman yelled as they raced up the stairs. When they reached the top, it had already been barricaded by the men on the other side. Batman raised his foot to break it down. Catwoman put her hand on his leg.

Catwoman frowned. “Bruce, you can’t do this.”

“We have to.”

“No, you don’t, and what happens when you get one of the surges in there. All it takes is one stray bullet.”

“I’m already dying Selina, whether it’s in there or out here.”

Taking off her mask, she put her hand in Batman’s. She pulled Batman’s mask off. “You still have time. Look, I know it’s selfish and I know it would go against everything you believe. But don’t go. Just this once. The G.C.P.D. are moving in, they'll handle it. You have made your whole life about this city. Make your death about you.”

Bruce looked from the door to her, his lip trembled. He let go of Selina’s hand. “This city is my life. When I put this suit on for the first time all those years ago, I promised myself I would keep its people safe. I can’t, Selina I’m sorry.”

Selina put her mask on and smiled. “I know, I just needed to say it. 

to say it. She handed Batman his mask and walked ahead of him. “Let’s go.”

The door smashed open and the Joker's goons rushed them. Batman leaped, leaving the men to Catwoman. He searched the roof, looking for Joker. Hearing footsteps, Batman raised his fists. Deathstroke ran out of the dark and rammed into Batman. Batman rolled out of the way and got to his feet. Facing Batman, Deathstroke whipped out his sword and twirled it. A news helicopter suddenly appeared over the roof. It’s spotlight shining on the fight below.

 

“This is the end for you, Batman. Tonight, you die.”

Batman ran at Deathstroke tossing two batarangs. Deathstroke swiped the batarangs out of the air with his sword. Dancing around Batman, he swung his blade at him from every direction. Swinging his arms around, Batman blocked each swipe. He moved to the side, then drove his fist into him and jumped out of the way as Deathstroke slashed with his blade. Batman and Deathstroke stood a few feet apart. The caped crusader felt the burning in his side again and blood dripped from his jaw.

Deathstroke sneered “You’re sick, Batman you should give up now. You know you can’t win.”

Behind them, Catwoman had taken out the last of the thugs. Deathstroke looked from her to Batman. Deathstroke looked from her to Batman, who running towards his opponent launched batarangs at razor speed, Holding Deathstroke's blade he panted as sweat consumed him.

“After I kill you, the cat’s next,” said Deathstroke

Batman gritted his teeth. He squeezed his fists. A symphony of rage played in his head and he unloaded an unstoppable force of punches and kicks on Deathstroke. After knocking Deathstroke’s blade out of his hand, he continued smashing and pummelling him. Just as Batman was about to deliver the final blow, he felt pain in his side. This one stronger than all the others. Batman howled in agony.

Feeling as if his insides had been torn open, Batman stepped back. Deathstroke leaped forward onto Batman, striking him in his side, where it was most painful. Batman roared in agony. Deathstroke was relentless in his attack. He smashed his fists into Batman’s side at breakneck speed. Batman threw his fists in the air, trying to block the onslaught but Deathstroke batted them away as if they were made of paper. Deathstroke snatched a knife off his belt and drove it into Batman’s side. Batman yelled. He stumbled onto his back. 

Deathstroke picked up his sword and raised it. “Goodbye, Batman.”

Suddenly, Catwoman leaped onto Deathstroke, knocking him out of the way. Snatching a knife off Deathstroke's belt, she slashed it against his head, breaking his helmet. Ramming his leg into her stomach, Deathstroke knocked Catwoman to the floor. He snatched off his helmet, revealing the grey hair and eyepatch underneath. He tossed his helmet away and swung his blade.

“You shouldn’t have done that, cat.”

Deathstroke ran forward, his blade in the air. Catwoman flung her whip at him and pulled his sword away. She swung her whip again but her attacker was ready. He caught the whip and pulled her towards him. She stumbled as he sprinted towards her. Leaping onto Catwoman, Deathstroke pinned her to the floor and unloaded a flurry of attacks onto her. Without stopping, he drove his fists onto her face. Selina screamed.

Batman pulled himself to his feet. The world was spinning and his feet felt like bricks as he tried to get to Catwoman. After a few steps, he fell. His vision blurred and he panted uncontrollably fast. He looked ahead and saw Deathstroke wrapping his hands around Catwoman’s throat. Pushing his body, he dragged himself across the floor, getting closer. Deathstroke had his back to him but he could see Catwoman's struggle weakening.

Batman was at arms-length behind Deathstroke now. He took his grappling hook off of his belt. He pulled the hook out, exposing the rope. Using the little strength he had left, he wrapped the rope around Deathstroke's neck and squeezed. Deathstroke jammed his elbow into Batman’s side and hit his hands away. Pinning Batman to the ground, he wrapped his hands around his throat.

“You should just give in it’ll end quicker.”

Batman shot the grappling hook at the news helicopter. He let go of it and rammed his leg into his opponent. Deathstroke went flying off the roof, the rope around his neck pulling him towards the helicopter. His struggles were pointless as he hung from the helicopter, the ropes around his neck squeezing the life out of him.

Catwoman got to her feet, wheezing and coughing. She put her arm around Batman.

“You okay?” she asked him.

Batman held his side. He bit his lip, trying to hide the pain.

“I’ll be better once we find Alfred.”

Batman suddenly heard a voice in his earpiece.

He pressed it and Jim Gordon spoke.

“Batman, get to the entrance, we’re pinned down and Joker’s escaping.”

“On it Jim. Selina, we have to get down there.”

Catwoman dragged Batman to his feet. He wheezed and retched. He put his arm around her. Catwoman picked up a pistol from one of the thugs and handed it to him.

“Here, I don’t think you’ll be punching anyone like this.” She said.

They moved down the fire escape. Each step sending needles of pain up Batman’s legs.   They reached the ground and Batman retched. Blood dripped from his lip and the same red liquid oozed out of his side. In a flash, he saw his prey running out of the building. Pushing his arm up and wheezing, he opened fire. The bullets flew through the air and tore through Joker’s chest. Leaving two, gaping bloody holes in their wake. Batman and Catwoman hurried to the body. A sigh of relief fell over Batman. After all these years, it was over. Joker was dead.

Batman knelt beside the old, frail body and turned it over. Batman fell back, his hands shaking. His face turned ghostly white. Catwoman put her hand over her mouth as she looked at the dead man’s face. It wasn’t the Jokers. It was the face of Batman’s only family, the one man he could always rely on and the one man he owed everything to. The face of Alfred Pennyworth. Batman knelt beside Alfred’s body. The Dark Knight's screams rang through the alleys of Gotham. He tossed the pistol away from him. He put his hand on Alfred’s chest and his eyes became wet. A tear fell down his face.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry” he said.

Catwoman knelt beside him. She put her hand on Batman’s face.

“Listen to me, this wasn’t your fault. This is that sick freak playing one of his demented games.”

Batman said nothing, his eyes were fixed on Alfred’s lifeless body. Catwoman turned Batman’s head to face her. She embraced him. Batman rested his head on her shoulder and let his arms fall onto her back. A gunshot sounded behind them and Selina's body went limp. Batman felt liquid oozing from her head onto his shoulder. Her arms slowly slipped away and her body fell into his arms. Looking at the red hole in her forehead, Batman shook all over.

A hard blow to his head sent Batman to the floor and his coughing began again. He tried to move but he couldn’t. The searing pain was too much. Looking up, he saw Joker standing before him with a pistol in his hand. His signature grin had never been wider. He smashed his foot onto Batman’s head and the world went black.

 

***

 Batman awoke, he could feel himself being dragged along the floor. Through blurred vision, he could see Joker with his hands wrapped around his cape, pulling him through the streets of Gotham. His cackles felt like knives in Batman's ears. Batman raised his arm but he could feel his eyes becoming heavy and darkness took him again.

Batman woke with a jolt. Thick metal chains restrained him to a tree.  The cold of the night attacked his sick body. He looked around. The graveyard around him was barren. The grass had turned a sickly brown colour and the writing on the headstones was all but faded. In front of him was an empty grave. Joker stood in it with a shovel. He was almost done. Batman retched, spraying more blood than he had before. The pain in his side was now unbearable. Joker stopped and turned around with a smile. He jumped out of the grave and dropped the shovel.

“Hiya Bats. So, how have you enjoyed the night?”

Batman ground his teeth. “You killed Alfred.”

Joker held his hands in the air.

“Now let’s not start that. All I did was give Alfred some new clothes and a makeover. Then told him that if he didn’t run out of the building, I’d kill a hostage. Want to know something funny, Gordon already had the hostages.”

Joker giggled. Heat flushed Batman's face and he yanked on the chains with all the strength he had left.

Joker sighed and shook his head.

“Oh, what are you upset about now? Is it your girlfriend? Because I take full responsibility there. I think I just got a little carried away. But come on, Bats if a leather-clad thief is what you wanted, all you had to was pop down to a brothel.”

Joker’s laughs rang out throughout the dark graveyard.

Batman curled his fists.

“I’m going to kill you. No more Arkham or Blackgate.” Batman said.

Joker knelt beside Batman. Sitting at arms-length from him, he smiled.

“Oh, Bats, look at you. Your body’s a trainwreck, you’re covered in blood. You probably have only minutes to live and still, you’re determined to beat me. You’re just so much fun.”

“The G.C.P.D. are going to be looking for you, Joker. It doesn’t matter what happens to me, they’ll find you.”

Joker got to his feet and shook his head.

“Oh, come on Bats after all these years I thought you would have figured it out. Yes, the G.C.P.D. will arrive here at exactly the right moment to stop my evil plans. But I’ll still win. We both know it. It’s what always happens. Sure, you might get the final punch on me. But I always come back to bite you in your winged arse. You see, Bats I’m a part of you, I’m in your head.”

“You’re insane.”

Joker scoffed.

“Think about it Bats. Do you think you would have decided to abandon your one big rule if it wasn’t for all the poor little innocent civilians that came between me and my jokes? Do you think you would have been able to give it to the cat if I hadn’t given the crowbar to dear old Jason?”

“Don’t you say his name.”

Joker jumped to his feet and giggled. He took his pistol out of his suit jacket, pulled back the hammer and stood in front of the empty grave. Giggling, he raised the gun and lined it up with Batman’s head.

“You want to know something funny Bats, I’m going to miss you.”

Joker laughed louder and longer than he ever had before. His grin growing wider and wider, he put the gun to his chin.

"But I guess I'll see you in..."

The gunshot echoed across the graveyard. Blood sprayed out of the clown prince of crime's head and onto the ground. He fell backward into the empty grave. Batman looked at the tombstone. It read ‘The Joker, remembered for being hilarious.’

***

Sirens sounded at the front of the grave. Jim Gordon sprinted across the graveyard to Batman. He knelt beside him and his eyes welled up. He shot the chains off Batman’s arms and started yelling.

“I need a medic over here.”

“No, Jim it’s too late for that.”

“Don’t say that we can-“

Batman put his hand on Jim’s arm. “Jim, please”

Jim sighed “Is there anything I can do?”

Batman looked at the sky and nodded.

***

For the first night in years, Gotham city was quiet. No police sirens sounded and no gunshots rang out. Everything had changed, except one. On the roof of the Gotham police department, Jim Gordon did the same thing he had done for ten years. He turned on a light. A light which magnified the symbol of peace in Gotham in the air. A symbol which put fear into all those who threatened this peace and put happiness into all those who held it in place.

And a few miles away, in a graveyard with his greatest foe, it did something new to the man who created it. It made him smile. This man had protected the city and had turned the symbol into the beacon of hope it is today. He knew as his eyes rolled back and the world went black that his work was done. That he had fulfilled the promise he had made to himself so long ago. And that finally, after all these years, he could rest.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Sep. 25 2018 at 9:11 am
19turzac BRONZE, Sciencehill, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Garbage, you didn't even indent. You peasant tree!