You Must Be A Weasley | Teen Ink

You Must Be A Weasley

'Come on, Ronald! Can you be any slower?'
Ruby Weasley dragged her twin brother; Ronald Weasley, through the busy crowd of Diagon Alley.
Ruby was born seven minutes before Ron, making her the oldest twin. She always teased Ron about being older than him; it annoyed Ron all the time, caused satisfaction for Ruby. Ruby was nothing like Ron, she was more self-preservation and cunning while Ron usually doesn't think of the consequences of his actions and was less skillful than Ruby. Ruby was bright for her age; she absorbs information like how a sponge absorbs water, but this sort of intelligent caused her to be presumptuous at times. She tends to be overzealous with the skills she mastered.  She was very protective of the people she cares for, especially for Ron and her younger sister Ginny.
Ron groaned under his breath, trying to keep up with Ruby, 'Why are we in a rush again?' He asked
“To get my wand!' Ruby answered, almost bump into a wizard.
“It's not fair, why do you get a wand and I have to use Charles's.' Ron complained,
“Because I tried using Bill's wand and I almost burn the house down.'
Ron quietly chuckled, 'oh yeah...' Earning an eye roll from Ruby.
Ruby felt Ron's sudden stop causing her to stumble a bit, she looked back and saw Ron's face was pressed against a glass window. He was admiring a broom. 'Ruby, look! It's the Nimbus 2000!'
Ruby rolled her eyes and then continued her journey to Ollivander. She was very excited to get her wand; the wand is the most important tool for a witch and wizard. They help to cast spells, make potions, and you can learn a lot about a person by their wand.
'Hey, wait up!' Ron shouted, noticed his twin was not by his side, he caught up beside her. 'I thought you would've gotten excited about that.'
Ruby was a huge fan of Quidditch and was hoping to try out for Chaser when she gets to Hogwarts. When she was seven, she already knew how to ride a broom. Usually, she plays Quidditch with Ron and her other brothers; Fred and George. Fred and George were beaters in the Gryffindor team. They told her they will be putting good words about her to the captain of the quidditch team, they will be making sure that Ruby will be on the team when she get into Hogwarts.
'I am, it's just I really want my wand.' Ruby said.
They finally got to Ollivander’s, 'maybe you should go by yourself.' Ron said, 'I'll wait for you at the ice cream shop.'
Ruby nodded, 'Okay'
Ruby entered the store, as soon she stepped in she sneezed. It was very stuffy in the store and also dark too.
'Bless you,' Ruby looked ahead, facing a light blonde hair boy who looked like he was around her age.
She smiled, 'thank you.'
'You're welcome' he replied with a smile.
'Draco,' a man with long blonde hair, he wore an unpleasant frown on his face, and kind of looked like the boy spoke, 'let's go'
Ruby moved to the side for the boy and the man, the boy smiled at her while he walked past her, caused her to lightly blush. Ruby walked to the front desk which was empty. She looked around her surrounding, feeling overwhelmed. There were shelves filled with wand boxes. Despite the dark environment, the store gave off a welcoming feel. Ruby went on her toes to ring the bell on the front desk. An old man with wide and pale eyes appeared from somewhere. Ruby jumped a bit in surprise staring at the man who she already knew who he was; Ollivander. Ollivander smiled when he saw her, 'oh joys, another Weasley' he said.
Ollivander walked to one of the shelves at the back and picked out a wand box. He walked back to the front desk and opened the box gave her the wand. The wand Ruby held was long, white, with the golden design. It's pretty. 'Give it a go' Ollivander urged her.
Ruby took a deep breath, felt pressured. She waved the wand and the fire of a lantern nearby violently grew large, 'sorry!' She quickly shouted.
Ollivander waved his wand to reduce the size of the flame, 'obviously not that one. You are too advance for that wand.' Ollivander took the wand from Ruby returning it back to its case. He returned to the back of the store again and picked out another box and returned. 'Maybe this one,' he gave her a dark wood wand, probably ten or eleven inches, the core of the wand had a silver lining. She held it and it was quite uncomfortable but she shrugged it off. She waved, soon she and Ollivander heard thunder. It started to rain heavily in the store, Ollivander stopped it, 'nope not that one, can't control its power.' Ollivander took the wand from her, ' you're quite difficult Miss Weasley, but I think I have a wand that might suit you' He climbed on a ladder and took out another box.
He gave her wand that was hazel, and smooth. Before Ruby could wave it, the tip lit up and a shot of flame shot out of the wand. It flew around transforming into a Phoenix. It flew to the top ceiling bursting like fireworks. She stared in amazement and then turned to Ollivander who was smiling down at her. 'Perfect,' he said. 'Dragon heartstring, Hawthorn, twelve inches, unyielding.' Ollivander placed the wand back to its case. “Very odd”
Ruby grew confused, “why odd?” She asked.
'Miss Weasley,' he began, ' I remember every wand that was sold and to whom. I knew your family very well, Miss Weasley. And all of their wands have something in common, expect for you. Yours is different, Miss Weasley. You have such power in you, use it carefully. Choose wisely, and don't fall into the wrong side. I'm sure there will be many difficult obstacles that will come in your life.'
Ruby was a bit taken back and was also more confuse, she was not sure what he was talking about but nodded.
Ollivander smiled, 'you remind me of someone. But that's another story for another time.'
Okay, now Ruby was very perplexed. What and who was Ollivander talking about? He was talking in riddles, riddles Rudy could not solve. Great...This will be keeping me up all night. She thought as she exited the shop making her way to meet up with Ron.