Secret Life | Teen Ink

Secret Life

By HalieS, Mishicot, Wisconsin
HalieS, Mishicot, Wisconsin

Everyone knows that it isn't easy to be the talk of high school. Everything changed one night at band camp when I was with Rickie. I didn't think something like this was going to happen. I never thought, me Amy Juergens would be the next person to be pregnant only at 15. I haven't talked to Rickie ever since band camp. I haven't told anyone. How do I feel somebody?
What do I say? “I'm pregnant” and walk away? Monday morning I go to school and a lot of people are making eye contact with me. Do people know? Why is everyone staring at me? I think the right thing to do would be to talk to Rickie about the whole situation. I doubt he is even going to believe me. I see Rickie passing by in the hallway. I tap him on the shoulder.
“Hey Rickie, how around you?”
“Oh! Hey Amy! How have you been?” He asked.
“I'm okay, I really need to talk to you about something though.”
“Sure! What's going on?”
“Remember that one night at band camp, like a couple months ago?”
“Um, yeah? What about it, I thought it was a pretty good night!”
“Well yeah, the night was too good and now I'm pregnant.”
“WHAT?! You are not. I'll talk to you about this later. I need to get to class” he slammed his locked and walked to second period.

I feel miserable, I haven't told anybody expect Rickie and I'm sure he doesn't even know what to believe. I can't have everyone knowing about me. I'm a freshmen and I am 15 years old and pregnant. Yeah, that looks really good. I really need to go and tell Lauren and Madison.
“Hey guys..”
“What is going on? You don't really seem like yourself!” Lauren asked.
“Well I'm not” I said.
“Well why not? Are you sick?” Madison asked.
I then looked down at the floor and my stomach. I still can't believe what is going on and that I am pregnant.
“Um, why are you staring at your stomach!?” Asked Lauren.
“I'm not really sure I know what is going on.” I said. “Can we please go to the bathroom?”
As I am walking to the bathroom, I hear Lauren and Madison whispering. I know they already know from me staring at my stomach, now I need to somehow find a way to tell them. Maybe I should act like I don't know and have them get me a pregnancy test and I will take it in the bathroom.
“Amy, what is going on?” Why are you acting like this?” Lauren asked.
“Guys, please don't judge me or be upset at me, but remember when I told you that one night at band camp, how I had sex with Rickie..” “Yeah, well now I think that I am pregnant.”
“Oh no..” Said Madison.
The look on her face was terrible. She looked at me with big eyes and a wide open mouth. I honestly didn't expect them to say anything at this moment.
“Are you sure Amy?” Said Lauren.
“I'm not 100% sure but everything I do and everything that is happening to me makes me feel like I am pregnant.”
“Okay, you stay in here and Madison and I will go to the gas station across the street and get you a pregnancy test okay?” Lauren explained.
“Okay, thank you so much guys.”
They went running out of the bathroom and I just sat on the toilet devastated. I didn't know what to do so all I did was cry.

I'm still crying, sitting on the toilet when Lauren and Madison came running into the stall. They have a plastic bag and inside, Lauren pulls out three different pregnancy tests.
“Why are there so many?” I asked.
“Well I read online that you should take more than one to make sure that you get a right answer.” Lauren said.
“Okay, can I have a little privacy guys! I don't need to be taking this test when you guys are standing in the stall with me.”
“Oh yes, so sorry Amy, we will be right outside if you need anything”
I walk out the stall crying. All three of the tests are positive. Lauren and Madison know right away that I am for sure pregnant.
“Please, I am begging you, do not tell anybody.”
“We won't Amy, don't worry about that, but don't you think that you need to tell you parents and possibly see a doctor?”
“How do you think I am suppose to tell my parents or see a doctor without my parents knowing?”  I questioned.
“I don't know Amy but you really need to, to get the help that you need and start taking all of the pregnancy vitamins.” Lauren said.
“I'll try, I need to get back to class now guys.”
“Us too.”
The next period that I have is band and I have that with Rickie. I really wonder what it is going to be like when he sees me, after I told him. I am sitting in class just practicing my french horn when rickie walks into class. All he does is make eye contact with me the whole time and when he sits down he shakes his head. I don't understand why he thinks this is all my fault. It was his idea, I told him it wasn't a good idea but he decided that we should do it anyways. I really need to tell my parents. I don't know what to do anymore. The end of the day I see a boy standing close to my locker, I look at him and he looks at me and I introduce myself.
“Hi, I'm Amy!”
“Hi Amy, I'm Ben. Ben Boykewich.”
“Hi Ben! Nice to meet you!”
“It was nice to meet you too!” Ben said.
“I'm sorry but I really need to get home. I'll talk to you tomorrow! Here have my number!”
I wrote my number down on a piece of paper and handed it to him. I think he was a little shocked. I would really like to get to know Ben more, I feel like he would be a very nice guy.

When I get home, mom is sitting at the table crying. I approach her to see what is wrong.
“Mom what is going on, why are you crying?”
“Amy, I don't want you to get involved, I will be okay. Just go and do your homework before supper is ready.
“Okay mom, I'm sorry! I hope you feel better”
I walked up to my room and walk past Ashley's room and she is being her normal self, laying on her bed, headphones in and the music as loud and possible. I get to my room and sit on my bed and think about how I am going to tell my mom. It really bothers me why she is upset and I'm pretty sure I know why. My dad keeps said that he had business trips to go on and he never does that. He doesn't even work at a place that has business trips. I think something is going on between him and another girl. I start to do my homework when my phone starts ringing. It's Ben.
“Hello?”
“Hi, is this Amy?”
“Yes it is! I assume that this is Ben?”
“Oh yeah it is, I probably should have said that when I asked if you were Amy.”
“I just assumed it was you, what's up?”
“Oh nothing, just doing some homework, I was wondering if you would want to go out tomorrow night, possibly get ice cream? Or go to a movie?”
“Ben, that sounds like a great idea!”
“Okay, so tomorrow night, I will pick you up around 7.”
“Sounds great! Thank you so much”
I hang up the phone and I realize that there is a grin on my face. I'm really happy that Ben called me and asked me to go out with him. I think I have a crush on him. As soon as I finish up my homework mom is calling up the stairs.
“Ashley and Amy! It's time for dinner! I made your favorite!”
I get up to walk down the steps and stop in by Ashley to tell her dinner is ready because she can't hear anything with her headphones in and the music so loud. We are sitting at the table eating dinner when I bring up the topic of me being pregnant. I figure that now would be a good time because dad isn't home.
“Mom I need to tell you something important.”
“You can tell me anything dear.”
“Well I'm pregnant.”
“YOU’RE WHAT?!”
Mom couldn't even finish chewing her food before she said that. She set her fork down and glared at me.
“Mom you heard me. I'm pregnant.”
“How are you pregnant? What is wrong with you! You are 15 years old!”
“You honestly think I wanted to get pregnant. Mom, accidents happen.”
“This is a pretty big accident Amy. We will talk about this after dinner.”
I knew I should have told her a different way. I don't even care anymore. People can judge me all they want. I am having this baby no matter what. It was my stupid actions that caused this to happen. We finish up dinner and Ashley goes up to her room and mom and I sit back down at the table.
“Are you sure you a pregnant?”
“Mom I'm pretty sure, I took 4 different pregnancy tests.”
“Well I am making you an appointment with your doctor to find out for sure. I don't even know what to say to you right now, I am very disappointed in you. Wait until dad finds out.”
“I am disappointed in myself too mom I didn't think something like this would happen. Dad isn't going to find out from you, I am going to tell him so you better not say anything to him.”
“Fine. I'm calling the doctor to make an appointment. You aren't going to school tomorrow.”
“Okay, I'm so sorry mom.”
I walk back up to my room to finish my homework and I have a text from Ben saying, good night. I hope to see you tomorrow at school so we can talk more and I can get to know you better. I can't wait to go out with you tomorrow night! He is such a sweet guy, but after this I don't know if mom is going to let me even talk to a guy.

I wake up the next morning to mom tapping me on the shoulder.
“Hunnie, get up I am taking you to the doctor at 9 o’clock. You have 30 minutes to get ready.” She walks out of my room and shuts the door. I can't believe I am going to go to the doctor to see this baby. I don't know what to think right now. I'm scared. I get out of bed and get dressed. I walk downstairs and breakfast is already made for me and it is a lot healthier than normal, I wonder why that is.. I finish up eating and I take my plate to the sink. Mom turns around and hugs me.
“I want you to know, no matter what, I am here for you. I'm sorry this is happening.”
“Thank you so much mom. That means so much to me.”
I grab my stuff and walk out the door to the van. Mom is following behind me. We get to the doctor's office and check in and patiently wait in the waiting room to get called back. I look at my phone and I have a text from Lauren, Madison, and Ben. I reply to all of them and say, I am at the doctor. I'm pregnant and getting an ultrasound. As soon as I put my phone away I hear my name. I go back to the room and lay on a bed with my stomach out. I feel like I am pretty far along, I already have a huge bump. The lady that is looking at my ultrasound is really nice and making sure that I feel relaxed the entire time. As soon as I get done, she gives me a copy of a picture that they took. I look at it and see my baby, the baby that has been growing in the past seven months, at that time I just start to cry.
I get back home and Ashley is sitting by the counter.
“Hey Amy, how did everything go?”
I don’t say anything to her, I just look at her and hand her the picture of the ultrasound. She looks at it for awhile shocked, I think she is thinking the same thing that I am. How is something like this growing inside of me and how did I do this?
“Wow Amy, this is pretty cool, I didn’t expect him to be this big.” Ashley stated.
“I know, it’s a lot to take in right now and I’m not really sure how I feel about everything. You can just leave that on the counter, I’ll be up in my room if anyone needs me.”
When I get upstairs I take out my phone and text Lauren, Madison, and Ben. Well, everything went good, It’s a boy. I set my phone down and lay back in my bed and just think of everything that is happening. I’m too young to be a mom, I don’t know what to do. 
“Amy! It is time for dinner!” Mom yelled up the stairs.
I jump out of bed, and run downstairs to eat because I am starving!
“Hey, how are you feeling?” Mom asked me.
“I’m okay, I’m just tired.”
“That’s going to be normal, you’ll be tired for a while.” Mom said.
I start to feel a weird pain in my stomach and I know that it isn’t right. I start to cry and my mom comes by me and asks what is going on.
“Are you okay?”
“No, we need to go to the hospital.” I said.
“Okay, let's go!”
We are driving in the car and I feel terrible pain in my stomach and alot of pressure. I tell mom that she needs to drive faster because this doesn’t feel right and I think the baby is coming right now. We get to the hospital and they rush me into the delivery room. They tell me that it is going to be only a matter of minutes before my baby is here. I have no time to tell anyone, not even Ben. I push a few times and out comes my precious little boy! Welcome to the world John!